Why do I need a Cable Box if my TV has HD tuner inside????---> - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-19-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, My Tv has all the HD tuners in it (astc,qam,etc), in fact it cost more because it does have those tuners. I can't get any HD content without using a comcast cable box. What is the purpose of having a TV with built in HD tuner if you stll need a cable card or cable box???

I basically just hook up the coax cable and get no additional channels than the basic no HD ones. To get the HD ones I have to use the cable box....so what the heck do these built in HD tuners do for you????? Am I hooking this up right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-19-2007, 11:05 AM

When I first got my standard cable (no box) my TV picked up a few of the HD channels. But, the picture was a little strange. i think you have to have the box because they like to make money.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-19-2007, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post

Ok, My Tv has all the HD tuners in it (astc,qam,etc), in fact it cost more because it does have those tuners. I can't get any HD content without using a comcast cable box. What is the purpose of having a TV with built in HD tuner if you stll need a cable card or cable box???

I basically just hook up the coax cable and get no additional channels than the basic no HD ones. To get the HD ones I have to use the cable box....so what the heck do these built in HD tuners do for you????? Am I hooking this up right?

Have you auto-programmed or auto-scanned for the digital channels?

Usually, one can get at least a few HD channels without a STB but one of the functions of a STB is to decode encrypted channels. So, if all the HD channels on your system are encrypted you won't get them without cable card or STB.

I'd be tempted to double-check you have properly searched for digital channels before proclaiming that you get none. I have Charter and get three or four with no STB and 10 with STB (not counting HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime - don't subscribe to them).

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-19-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post

You should get your locals in HD and maybe Discovery HD or A&E HD or TNT HD, but besides that you have to pay for the good channels. Your cable provider encrypts those channels so people cannot steal them, thus the need for a CableCard (which works with your QAM tuner) or a STB.

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
post #5 of 16 Old 02-19-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Being that your on a Comcast system you should be able to get the local HD channels without a box.

Most TVs with a digital cable tuner also have CableCard, does yours? If so you could get a cable card instead of a STB to receive HD channels.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-19-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I have a cable card in my dlp tv, but always wondered why I needed it. I don't get any digital or HD channels without the card.....really strange. This got me thinking about this topic.....

Then my friend just picked up a Sharp LCD with built in tuners (no cablecard slot) that I just set up for him and I can't get anything either without the box. I will try again since some of you are getting Hd content from comcast.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 AM

The built in tuners are for accessing channels via the Antenna Input. You can hook up an indoor or outdoor antenna, or your cable, directly to that input, and then run the channel installation process. With an antenna you should receive all the local HD channels, depending on how far away you live from the transmitters. With cable, you should receive all the standard cable-ready-TV channels and all the local HD channels, but you won't receive any higher-tier scrambled digital cable channels. To get those channels unscrambled, without a cable box, you need a cable card (that is if your TV has a cable card port and your cable company offers a cable card). Rental of the cable card is usually about one-third the cost of a cable box. You'd still need to pay for higher-tier digital channel packages and premium channels if you want them unscrambled.

Philips 42" LCD HDTV (model 42PF9831D/37)
Dish Network ViP722 & TWC Cisco 8640HDC
post #8 of 16 Old 02-22-2007, 10:30 PM

Here's an analogy that might help: Think back to the old days before HD... your TV had an analog tuner in it right? You could just plug the coax cable into the back of the set and get the local stuff and some basic. But to get the good stuff you needed a box. Similar situation here. Your HD box is not just a tuner it is also a converter. Hope that helps.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-23-2007, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iykht View Post

Here's an analogy that might help: Think back to the old days before HD... your TV had an analog tuner in it right? You could just plug the coax cable into the back of the set and get the local stuff and some basic. But to get the good stuff you needed a box. Similar situation here. Your HD box is not just a tuner it is also a converter. Hope that helps.

A better description would be "descrambler".
post #10 of 16 Old 02-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Funny I see this thing. When I first got a hdtv I scanned and couldn't find anything...so I just use the box with the hdmi cable....

For the heck of it I hooked up a small antenna...it can get most locals...I think the only extra things are some of the i stations, nbc's weather plus and The Tube.

So I hooked it up to the cable directly...scanned as tv antenna....about a dozen analog channels came in (locals and community) OK

Then I scanned it as cable...

317 digital channels found and 75 analog!!!

All the analog were found except the movie ones...for the digital it's extreamly weird...I didn't finish totally mapping everything but the music choice were all lumped together, some local hd's were there, some other channels but since there's no guide I couldn't exactly tell. The vast majority were just empty black screens. Some channels seemed to be around a second time too.

I will say it is a bit interesting because sometimes they might have something hidden.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-28-2007, 06:26 PM

Liked: 14
I did the same thing. Almost all of the music channels are like 94-4 thru 94-46 on my tv with no hdbox. I noticed they change channels around sometimes too. like sometimes channel 4 is 4-1 but sometimes they move it to 29-1. Also randomly thru the day I can scroll thru all the hundreds of digital channels that are just black screens and pay per view shows pop up sometimes. Up intill last month I also got INHD 1 and INHD 2, discovery HD, espnHD, tntHD also but they have vanished

Processing- Sherbourn 7020C4
Amps- Sherbourn PA7-350, two Behringer EP4000s
Speakers- JTR Triple 12s for mains, triple 8 center, Volt 8 surrounds
Subs- 4 mach 5 audio IXL 18s
PJ- Panasonic pt-ae4000
112" fixed screen
post #12 of 16 Old 03-02-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkec View Post

I did the same thing. Almost all of the music channels are like 94-4 thru 94-46 on my tv with no hdbox. I noticed they change channels around sometimes too. like sometimes channel 4 is 4-1 but sometimes they move it to 29-1. Also randomly thru the day I can scroll thru all the hundreds of digital channels that are just black screens and pay per view shows pop up sometimes. Up intill last month I also got INHD 1 and INHD 2, discovery HD, espnHD, tntHD also but they have vanished

Channel 4-1 and 29-1 may actually be the same. Local stations broadcast HD over the air on unused UHF stations and then HD tuners sometimes have the ability to convert the HD UHF channel to the number that equates to the regular channel. For example, our ABC affiliate here in Boston is channel 5. However, their HD channel is UHF channel 20...but when I used an OTA HD tuner in the past, it converted 20-1 to equate to 5-1 as it's easier for us viewers to remember the actual local station number than some obscure UHF number.

"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffett
post #13 of 16 Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinma View Post

Channel 4-1 and 29-1 may actually be the same. Local stations broadcast HD over the air on unused UHF stations and then HD tuners sometimes have the ability to convert the HD UHF channel to the number that equates to the regular channel. For example, our ABC affiliate here in Boston is channel 5. However, their HD channel is UHF channel 20...but when I used an OTA HD tuner in the past, it converted 20-1 to equate to 5-1 as it's easier for us viewers to remember the actual local station number than some obscure UHF number.

he was talking about cable not OTA broadcasting which is what are talking about. Its not just UHF channels that are used for digital OTA television, some markets have digital VHF stations as well.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Interestingly, Cox here passes the PSIP info for one of the locals, so it maps to the same channel as it does OTA. Also, one digital channel (a weather subchannel) and the local PBS' HD feed map to the same channel numbers as on the cable box. All the others are on pretty much random channels.

I hardly need the box for anything other than premiums, but a few of the regular channels are also encrypted. It's strange.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-07-2009, 09:15 PM

73 amc
79.1 nwcn
79.3 komo
79.4 king
79.5 kong
79,6 cbut
79.7 kcts