Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-29-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking about this earlier...

The $700 price tag for a Tivo Series 3 with two cable card slots is not a problem for me. the $15 or so charge a month, is. No different from renting from the cable company plus an extra $700.

So, here's a question.

When we start seeing consumer DVR's hit the market, will we see the service fees dissapear? Then the cable company will get some real competition. Also, will these devices support Cablecard 2.0 and be easilly upgradable to whatever standard comes next?

Packing Protons - Freelance Videography

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 95.5 contests and concerts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for Geek stuff :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think the question is IF we start seeing consumer DVR's hit the market, will we see the service fees disappear? Cable companies prefer, at least now, to control not only all the programming but also the guides. It saves them countless extra customer service/technical problems related to 3rd party devices. Renting STBs is also a source of income for them. No doubt consumer DVRs will support CableCard 2.0, but will they ever be allowed by Motorola, Scientific Atlanta (Cisco owned), and the cable giants?

Arvy
post #3 of 8 Old 03-30-2007, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV5655 View Post

When we start seeing consumer DVR's hit the market, will we see the service fees dissapear? Then the cable company will get some real competition. Also, will these devices support Cablecard 2.0 and be easilly upgradable to whatever standard comes next?

Just what do you mean by consumer DVRs? Do you mean DVRs you can purchase? Or DVRs with more capable and featured software? DVR software development is very expensive, and is the primary reason why you don't see any manufacturer selling a HDTV DVR product without a monthly fee. In addition, support costs for DVR products tend to be high, primarily due to hard drive failures. Some manufacturers such as Sony and LG tried, but they got out of the market after they bled red.

The cable providers spend tens of millions of dollars on R&D development (and associated licensing fees) for the software used in their boxes. They can afford to do this because they spread the cost over hundreds of thousands of units. A consumer electronics manufacturer can't afford to spend millions to develop robust and featured software for a box if they are only going to sell 20,000 units with free, unlimited service and support.

If you just want to purchase your own box, you may be able to do that soon. FCC mandate (also known as the "integration ban") prohibits most cable systems from purchasing new STBs and DVRs with integrated encryption systems (CAS) after July. Beginning in July, most cable companies must purchase new STBs and DVRs using CableCard. These boxes aren't the traditional unidirectional CableCard products we've seen in the past; these CableCard products feature full bidirectional receivers with OCAP. They support every feature -- the guide, VOD, PPV, SDV -- of current boxes, but they use a CableCard to decrypt channels.

Quote:

There are six models in the new Motorola DCH Series of digital cable set-tops:

Motorola DCH100 - An all-digital, standard-definition (SD) interactive cable set-top with an integrated MoCA home networking interface.

Motorola DCH200 - A standard-definition interactive digital cable set-top with support for analog services.

Motorola DCH3200 - An all-digital, high-definition interactive cable set-top.

Motorola DCH6200 - A high-definition interactive digital cable set-top with support for analog services.

Motorola DCH3416 - An all-digital, high-definition digital video recorder and interactive cable set-top with a standard 160 GB hard drive for storage of content.

Motorola DCH6416 - A high-definition digital video recorder and interactive digital cable set-top with support for analog services and a standard 160 GB hard drive for storage of content.

LG, Scientific Atlanta, Samsung, and others have demonstrated similar products.

With OCAP and associated middleware, these boxes will download the guide software from your cable company. This allows the customer to purchase their own box via retail, and they'll get the same software and services as the box from the cable company. You may or may not avoid the monthly DVR fee, depending on the cable company; remember, the DVR software is still developed and paid for by your cable company.

You can forget about buying your own box with more featured software, especially if you want one without a monthly fee, for the reasons stated above.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #4 of 8 Old 03-30-2007, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

If you just want to purchase your own box, you may be able to do that soon. FCC mandate (also known as the "integration ban") prohibits most cable systems from purchasing new STBs and DVRs with integrated encryption systems (CAS) after July. Beginning in July, most cable companies must purchase new STBs and DVRs using CableCard. These boxes aren't the traditional unidirectional CableCard products we've seen in the past; these CableCard products feature full bidirectional receivers with OCAP. They support every feature -- the guide, VOD, PPV, SDV -- of current boxes, but they use a CableCard to decrypt channels.

Here's a question. With cable card boxes, can I still output video to a TV tuner like I do with my current box? My Cable Card enabled TV does not allow me to output the signal to a VCR...

Packing Protons - Freelance Videography

for 95.5 contests and concerts

for Geek stuff :)
post #5 of 8 Old 03-30-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here's a question. With cable card boxes, can I still output video to a TV tuner like I do with my current box? My Cable Card enabled TV does not allow me to output the signal to a VCR...

Older VCRs use NTSC tuners. As noted in this thread, NTSC cable channels are going away, rendering the tuners in those VCRs useless for recording cable channels.

You can record to VCR now by connecting the composite and/or s-video outputs [from the STB or VCR] to record the same thing you see on your TV or STB. If what you really want to do is record one channel while you watch another, then you'll need a new VCR or DVD recorder with a digital television (QAM) tuner.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #6 of 8 Old 04-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
There already are cable based DVRs on the U.S. market meant to be consumer owned. They support CableCARD 1.0 (no on demand ppv) and fortunately have their own program guides..no need for TiVo. Mitsubishi and Sony are the only two manufacturers that make them....and they are -VERY- expensive.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-01-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

There already are cable based DVRs on the U.S. market meant to be consumer owned. They support CableCARD 1.0 (no on demand ppv) and fortunately have their own program guides..no need for TiVo. Mitsubishi and Sony are the only two manufacturers that make them....and they are -VERY- expensive.

Those products were discontinued long ago.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-01-2007, 02:22 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Quote:
Motorola DCH3416 - An all-digital, high-definition digital video recorder and interactive cable set-top with a standard 160 GB hard drive for storage of content.

In my secondary room, since I don't have a DVR there, so I am going to get a DCT-3416. But, for my primary room, I have a DCT-6412, and I was thinking of changing it also, soon after, to a 3416 for the extra space and faster CPU, but now I don't know which one to request.

I am thinking the CC is just another item that could become faulty.
I don't think the DCT-3416 has OCAP, correct?
If not, do I get anything out of the OCAP, now or in the future?
Maybe the MOCA?
So, should I get a DCT or wait for a DCH?
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page