Tuning digital channels with QAM - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2007, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I've been trying to tune in digital local channels via an integrated QAM tuner but have not been able to tune all of them in even though they are reported to be "in the clear/unencrypted". I was wondering if anyone knew whether cable (TWC) may have installed/programmed some kind of block on my feed? Is that even possible? The cable goes straight into the TV. I am only a basic+standard+RoadRunner subscriber. I'm unable to receive the higher digital channels that don't have a corresponding analog signal/channel (but can receive the lower channels PBS-HD, etc). I have friends that are able to tune these higher channels without a STB; so I know they are unencrypted. However, they have a STB (on a different TV) whereas I have never owned a STB. My thinking is that some kind of block may be on by default and would be removed if I ever get a STB. Anyone know if this is accurate?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You're going to have to research this in two ways. One is on your local forum where someone might know the particulars of your cable system. The next will be on the specific TV that you have and it's tuning capabilities.

One possible problem is the use of physical channels between 125 and 135 which many tuners can't reach. Some tuners can handle QAM-256 and QAM-64, some can't handle both types. Low Pass Filters are also a possibility.

You're going to need to supply very specific information about your location and your TV model to get much help. Every TV is different and every cable system and community are unique also.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My set is an Olevia 437. Unfortunately the manual says it doesn't have QAM tuner. But I've verified from posts here that it does. I'm not sure if it is QAM-64 or 256. In terms of stations, I do know exactly which stations I should get. They are listed here on this site...

http://home1.gte.net/res18h39/channels.htm

From the column on the left (listed as "Over the Air"), I get:
4.x
5.x
17.x

I've verified from other postings that 11.x and 50.x were taken off the cable.

From the right column ("Time Warner Cable"), I can tune in every physical QAM channel that has a corresponding analog channel. Such as 89.11, 78.11, 78.10,118.11. But not channels like 113.X.

I've verified that all these channels (including the "Over the Air") are in fact coming from cable by disconnecting the cable and trying to program "over the air". I just got a very limited amount of channels (none of the digital ones came in).

It really has me perplexed as to why I can't get these in. The friend of mine who I mentioned can get these channels also has an Olevia although it is 2 series (and smaller). I google'ed low pass filters to see if I could find any that might be causing this. All the models I found cut off channels that I am currently receiving. I still think that some kind of filter is being used to prevent the signal from reaching me. I may not be finding the exact filter when I search. Or maybe TWC has the ability to turn off specific unencrypted signals.

Thanks for the info. This is more of a curiousity for me (plus I'd like to get ABC/FOX-HD). Once fall rolls around however, I'll be renting a STB so I can get some of the premium sports channels anyway.