The 4400 Returns - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 122 Old 06-17-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Didn't see any thread for the new season, and always liked this series, so I figured we needed one. Will the Rocketeer once more be in charge?

DVRs beware - program listing is 9:00 P.M. - 10:01 P.M.

At this point, I tend to think of it as 'Heroes' lite, although it seems to take itself a little more seriously.

Chance favors the prepared mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 06-18-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I was hoping for a more dramatic return for the series, but all in all, I still enjoy this show.

post #3 of 122 Old 06-18-2007, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I was hoping for a more dramatic return for the series, but all in all, I still enjoy this show.

Same here. At first I thought it was heading down the road of student shootings, but by the end it it seemed like it wasn't much more than a prelude to Jordan Collier's ascension to power. But I'll stay with it assuming it doesn't nose-dive.

BTW, I can 't look at 'Tess' without thinking 'River'.

post #4 of 122 Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Same here. At first I thought it was heading down the road of student shootings, but by the end it it seemed like it wasn't much more than a prelude to Jordan Collier's ascension to power. But I'll stay with it assuming it doesn't nose-dive.

BTW, I can 't look at 'Tess' without thinking 'River'.

Same here....

I like the 4400, it's a nice summer show, at a time where there is almost nothing on TV to watch...

Robert Clark
post #5 of 122 Old 06-19-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
So what's the official word on how Jordan came back from the dead? I must've missed that last season.
post #6 of 122 Old 06-19-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

So what's the official word on how Jordan came back from the dead? I must've missed that last season.

IIRC, he was found hanging around with some homeless folks, he just sort of appeared among them, unless I've missed some other explanation.
post #7 of 122 Old 06-19-2007, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

IIRC, he was found hanging around with some homeless folks, he just sort of appeared among them, unless I've missed some other explanation.

Yeah, it was kind of a rush job during the last few eps. Jordan living with homeless folks and claiming a total loss of memory including his own identity, and being treated as a prophet. Eventually, it turns out he claims to be from the future and is warning everyone of an apocalyptic future, that requires the 4400 and the rest of mankind to work or fight together, (something like that) to avoid the terrible future he has seen. Then it appears that he's stolen the promicin (I may be getting out of order here) to distribute, so everyone else can shoot-up and become a 4400 too, if they want.

It got a little garbled toward the end of last season, because it seemed like an awful lot was getting shoved into the last few eps without enough explanations. Or at least, that's the way I remember it.

post #8 of 122 Old 06-19-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought they led us to believe he was taken back to the future again and brought back again. Its been awhile, so I could be mistaken.

post #9 of 122 Old 06-19-2007, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I thought they led us to believe he was taken back to the future again and brought back again. Its been awhile, so I could be mistaken.

Now you've got me a little confused.

I was just talking about what happened in the latter part of Season 3, that apparently occurred when his corpse disappeared. I think (but not sure), you are talking about the abductions in Season 1, and in Season 3. Were there two Collier abductions to the future in Season 3?

Lost , Heroes & Battlestar Galactica, please take note! This is the kind of $h!t that happens when a series disappears for too frakkin' long (in this case, about a year I think)! We need more episodes of all of the above, and then some!

post #10 of 122 Old 06-19-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, you're right - the time gap is too long to keep track of all these 4400's. I remember now that I saw your posts, thanks.
post #11 of 122 Old 06-19-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

I think WiliamR is right, in fact, didn't his body disappear or something?? Maybe that was just my own mind trying to apply some logic...

I see Palladin mentions the disappearing body, so it wasn't my brain on crack.
post #12 of 122 Old 06-20-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:

I think WiliamR is right, in fact, didn't his body disappear or something?? Maybe that was just my own mind trying to apply some logic...

I see Palladin mentions the disappearing body, so it wasn't my brain on crack.

Remember season 1 was a 'short season' - I think it was only 5 or so episodes. Season 2 came out and then it was somewhere in that season (perhaps towards the end) where Jordon was shot/died and his body was said to have disappeared. Then thru the rest of that season and season 3 he was MIA up until the last 6 or so episodes (maybe less?) where he was 'found among the homeless' and was slowly getting the reputation as a 'savior' (of sorts) - it was very 'second coming of Jesus' like (IMHO).

That's basically how I remember things.... but yea, I agree with everyone when it comes to 'too much dead air' between seasons. My wife even said 'how did season 3 end anyway?' and she and I wished we had a chance to see the last few episodes over again prior to seeing the new season.

Couldn't USA give up airing the Die Hard Trilogy JUST FOR ONE WEEKEND so we could brush up on 4400? I'm serious, it seems like every weekend you can turn on one of the cable stations and find Die Hard playing (a good series of movies BTW). USA, TBS, Spike (can't remember who's the biggest offender but it sure seems like its on all the time.)

Dave
post #13 of 122 Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 702
The reason Billy Campbell (Jordan) was written out of the show for the second season was that he wanted to take part in a yacht race, perhaps around the world (can't quite recall). When the race was over and he "returned to civilization", the producers of 'The 4400' welcomed him back into the fold (he's the show's biggest star) and wrote him back into the series. Thus, the rather jarring way he was reintroduced at the end of S-3.

For a recap of Jordan Collier's history on the show, you can visit USA Network's "bio" of him here.
post #14 of 122 Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

The reason Billy Campbell (Jordan) was written out of the show for the second season was that he wanted to take part in a yacht race, perhaps around the world (can't quite recall).

"Its Good to be the King!".

Well, I guess you can take the boy out of the Rocketeer outfit, but.........

post #15 of 122 Old 06-20-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Then it appears that he's stolen the promicin (I may be getting out of order here) to distribute, so everyone else can shoot-up and become a 4400 too, if they want.

i think this whole promicin thing is crazy! i still havent decided which side i'm on! have you see the www.promicinpower.com site yet? there a few of these sites that are like real political type websites talking about promicin...it's cool how they have extended this outside the show....now to take promicin or not to take....
post #16 of 122 Old 06-20-2007, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinstonWolf View Post

i think this whole promicin thing is crazy! i still havent decided which side i'm on! have you see the www.promicinpower.com site yet? there a few of these sites that are like real political type websites talking about promicin...it's cool how they have extended this outside the show....now to take promicin or not to take....

Never saw that site before, pretty bizarre. Didn't Lost already pull this kind of online stunt, but with a bigger budget and more imagination (not that I was a huge fan of that one either.)

Are these marketing stunts supposed to somehow compensate for a 10 month gap between seasons? Listen USA, its not like this show is so extraordinarily complex that it should take more time to write than, oh say, 'Crime and Punishment' or anything, if you know what I mean. I remember watching television back in the old days with Fred and Barney, and if a show disappeared for 10 months or more, it usually stayed disappeared.

Now here's a crazy idea. Take a conglomerate like Universal which has a number of content producers , like NBC, SciFi, USA, Bravo, put together all the best stuff they each have to offer, and fill ONE NETWORK's schedule with all of that best stuff.

And I promise you, we'll all watch it, and buy whatever crap you're advertisers are promoting or doing product placements for, to encourage you to keep up the good work!

BTW, I'm pro Promicin. And seeing as everyone is allowed one unique power, I'll take Peter Petrelli's.

post #17 of 122 Old 06-20-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Never saw that site before, pretty bizarre. Didn't Lost already pull this kind of online stunt, but with a bigger budget and more imagination (not that I was a huge fan of that one either.)

Are these marketing stunts supposed to somehow compensate for a 10 month gap between seasons? Listen USA, its not like this show is so extraordinarily complex that it should take more time to write than, oh say, 'Crime and Punishment' or anything, if you know what I mean. I remember watching television back in the old days with Fred and Barney, and if a show disappeared for 10 months or more, it usually stayed disappeared.

Now here's a crazy idea. Take a conglomerate like Universal which has a number of content producers , like NBC, SciFi, USA, Bravo, put together all the best stuff they each have to offer, and fill ONE NETWORK's schedule with all of that best stuff.

And I promise you, we'll all watch it, and buy whatever crap you're advertisers are promoting or doing product placements for, to encourage you to keep up the good work!

BTW, I'm pro Promicin. And seeing as everyone is allowed one unique power, I'll take Peter Petrelli's.

I by no means intend to argue the merits of long breaks between seasons, how the networks plan, advertising, etc etc etc....

but I do understand that it has become an incredibly competitive world with so many options for all of us and find the extra marketing tactics enticing, especially with the extended break (I am not here to argue that a long break betweens seasons is a good thing.) I am just saying when there is a long break it is cool to have sites like these help support a plot that we are interested in...because as obviously stated by the fact we are in this very forum...we spend a part of our lives interacting online...so for me I find these sites to be a cool addition to the show.
post #18 of 122 Old 06-21-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinstonWolf View Post

I by no means intend to argue the merits of long breaks between seasons, how the networks plan, advertising, etc etc etc....

Well that's good, because I wasn't aware that we had even been arguing.

Quote:

but I do understand that it has become an incredibly competitive world with so many options for all of us and find the extra marketing tactics enticing, especially with the extended break (I am not here to argue that a long break betweens seasons is a good thing.) I am just saying when there is a long break it is cool to have sites like these help support a plot that we are interested in...because as obviously stated by the fact we are in this very forum...we spend a part of our lives interacting online...so for me I find these sites to be a cool addition to the show.

Well, this is all a matter of personal taste, which certainly shouldn't be arguable, as it is PERSONAL.
As for me, I generally don't tend to read or post at those type of dedicated fan sites myself. Just don't find any of those enhancement factors to be all that enhancing. YMMV. Seems to me, a little like tossing a rubber bone to a starving dog.

Chance favores the prepared mind
post #19 of 122 Old 06-21-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, this is all a matter of personal taste, which certainly shouldn't be arguable, as it is PERSONAL.
As for me, I generally don't tend to read or post at those type of dedicated fan sites myself. Just don't find any of those enhancement factors to be all that enhancing. YMMV. Seems to me, a little like tossing a rubber bone to a starving dog.

Chance favores the prepared mind

Same here, the extent of my enjoyment/involvement with a show starts and ends with whatever is broadcast on the TV, beyond that, I just don't have the time or more importantly, the inclination to peruse TV show websites(other than AVS of course - ). I do get irritated when a plot is explained, or a fact gets revealed on one of those websites though, for example, it's my understanding the Lost numbers were explained at the Lost website, to this day, I still have no idea what they mean.
post #20 of 122 Old 06-21-2007, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Same here, the extent of my enjoyment/involvement with a show starts and ends with whatever is broadcast on the TV, beyond that, I just don't have the time or more importantly, the inclination to peruse TV show websites(other than AVS of course - ). I do get irritated when a plot is explained, or a fact gets revealed on one of those websites though, for example, it's my understanding the Lost numbers were explained at the Lost website, to this day, I still have no idea what they mean.

Thanks, you said it better than I did.

I may want to watch the show. I may even want to talk about it later with the other guys here, and some friends. But, this is supposed to be relaxing entertainment that I watch to unwind, even if it can be a little challenging at times. And I don't want to feel like I'm busy preparing a thesis so that I can obtain my 4400 doctorate, or the equivalent.

Oh and BTW, the reason I come here (AVS), and probably some other people as well to talk about a series, is not just because its a great website, but also because it is (or should be) neutral, and I'm not dealing with a bunch of zealots and/or marketers. And if one of those do show up, they generally get sniffed out before long.

post #21 of 122 Old 06-21-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

(uh...so what do those damn numbers mean?)
post #22 of 122 Old 06-21-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

(uh...so what do those damn numbers mean?)

You mean the damn numbers that were basically forgotten during this entire last season?

I think the writers were just having a little fun with them but basically wrote themselves into a hole. That's why they just "disappeared" this past season. Anyway, there was a video (kind of like the hatch orientation videos) as part of "the LOST experience" that sort of explained them. Something about them being part of the "Vanzetti Equation" or some such. The Dharma Initiative was supposed to be researching ways to change some of the variables of that equation which basically predicted the end of the world. Or something; didn't make much sense. It will be interesting if that "equation" is revisited during the show sometime in these next 48 episodes. My guess is no. We've likely seen and heard the last of the infamous "numbers".
post #23 of 122 Old 06-21-2007, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, 'The 4400' was one of the "pioneers" of online supplemental content with "Maia's Diary". She would give hints about future events on the show and such. Evidently she's developed a case of writer's block this season, as her diary is no more.
post #24 of 122 Old 06-21-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Kinda funny that Heroes basically stole the promycin super-power theme for use in their show. It's a little different in that the Heroes just have it instead of inject it, but not much else than that. Of course a different plot on how to save the world and all that.
post #25 of 122 Old 06-21-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

BTW, 'The 4400' was one of the "pioneers" of online supplemental content with "Maia's Diary". She would give hints about future events on the show and such. Evidently she's developed a case of writer's block this season, as her diary is no more.

Yeah, and she's been doing a lot of growing up as well, she must be a foot and half taller if not more, and her face has changed quite a bit.

(I'll die a happy man if I never hear about those numbers again. )
post #26 of 122 Old 06-21-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, and she's been doing a lot of growing up as well, she must be a foot and half taller if not more, and her face has changed quite a bit.

Yeah, I noticed that right away, too. She seems to have jumped from a little girl, over tween, and right into a teenager.

Now, if only they had shot her against a blue screen when she was younger.....just like they did with Walt.....

Quote:

No, look under the bed. Its still there, but now she's a teen and she keeps it locked up and hidden.

post #27 of 122 Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Something about them being part of the "Vanzetti Equation" or some such. The Dharma Initiative was supposed to be researching ways to change some of the variables of that equation which basically predicted the end of the world.

Rimbaldi device

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #28 of 122 Old 06-21-2007, 10:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Rimbaldi device

That's it!! You key the Lost numbers into the Rimbaldi device and it produces Promicin that you take and then you become a "Hero".
post #29 of 122 Old 06-25-2007, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not the most original concept in the ep last night. I mean, just how many times in sci/fi horror fiction has the theme of amplifying someone's deepest phobias been exploited? Probably at least once in every one of the various Star Trek series; by each well known horror fiction writer (e.g. Stephen King), and in a bunch of different films. I know there are only so many ideas out there, but this one has been beaten to a pulp.

At first, I was totally annoyed with what seemed like a gratuitous Autism overlay, but it kind of pulled together a bit for the ironic ending. In fact, in retrospect, much of last night's 'power' issue appeared to have no impact on the continuing storyline of the plot (other than the few seconds with Isabelle), but seemed solely generated toward the O'Henry irony at the end.

So what exactly is Kyle's power supposed to be? Doppelgangers? Communicating across time and space? Creating self-delusionary chicks with bad dye jobs? Is he one of the White Lights? Maybe next week his pinky starts yelling Redrum.

As much as I enjoy this series, aren't there more than enough unresolved plotlines still floating around that could be addressed before creating more of them? And is it me, but does it seem like all the original characters have pretty much faded into the woodwork, and this is becoming the Shawn & Kyle show?

post #30 of 122 Old 06-26-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Can someone describe how Sean got in the coma in the first place, its all a little fuzzy to me.

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page