CC Does not work between DCT 3416 1 and Vizio VU42 1080p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-28-2007, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My DCT 3416 1 cable box and my Vizio VU42LF HDTV does NOT display CC when connected via HDMI. Closed caption displays OK for analog connections to TV but not for HDMI connection.

Here's my post in the Offical Vizio 42" VU42LF 1080p LCD HDTV Thread Post #661.
-------------------New Member can't link to it yet.-------------------------------------

Got Vu42Lf Monday at COSTCO. GREAT. Very hard of hearing. Wear hearing aid but need Close Caption display.

Vizio does not display CC when cable-box is connected via HDMI1. There is no Menu item under HDMI to set CC on/off or type.

CC is displayed OK when Cable-Box connected via AV2 (Analog) or when Cable-Box is connected to TV via the COMPONENT 1 Connectors (analog) on Vizio.

My cable-box/DVR from COMCAST is: Motorola DCT 3416 1, Dual tuner DVR/HDTV sw # 74.53-3321 Firmware # 16.35

My HDMI cable is a 10 foot Monoprice one. Thought I needed 10 feet but found my old stand handled the Vizio well. I could get by with a 3 ft cable if that would help. Being that everything is digital signal, it should be on-off and the length of HDMI cable "should" not be the problem; Right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-29-2007, 03:44 AM

Liked: 11
That's standard functionality. Digital Closed Caption decoding takes place in the STB. Here are the instructions:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...Closed_Caption

The Motorola DVRs happen to have the best Closed Caption support we've experienced. It works far more reliably than other decoders we've used, and has advanced features not available with any of them, such as transparent backgrounds.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-29-2007, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

That's standard functionality. Digital Closed Caption decoding takes place in the STB. Here are the instructions:

URL reference to DVR instructions in the quoted post was removed-As new poster can't reference URL

The Motorola DVRs happen to have the best Closed Caption support we've experienced. It works far more reliably than other decoders we've used, and has advanced features not available with any of them, such as transparent backgrounds.

That solved my problem of no CC with Vizio HTMI 1 connection.

For the Cable Box/DVR, I changed "4:3 Override" to "480p" (from 480i) and "Closed Caption" to "ENGAGED" (from DISENGAGED) and now see CC with HDMI 1 connection to my VIZIO VU42LT

THANKS. AVS Forum solved my problem FAST. I wonder what would have happened if I called COMCAST for help with this problem.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 AM

Comcast doesn't really know much about Closed Captioning. It is a very arcane bit of functionality that only someone who has day-to-day need of knowing knows about.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-29-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...Closed_Caption

Thank you bicker1!
I will revive this thread in hopes you are still around.
I also have a Motorola DCT3416 but w/ TWCable.
Just Bought a Sony HDTV. Via Composite hook-up and the 3416 Menu set to DISABLE CC - I have Closed Captions on all SD channels (TV doing the CC work) but NOT on ANY HD channels. Is TWC not passing CC info along with their HD channels? Nothing else seems to make sense...
Of course, I can get Full Time CC on ALL (SD/HD) channels by opting to ENABLE CC on the 3416 - but it is such a pain to have to turn it on/off via the power/menu/power bit.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-29-2007, 05:02 PM

There is no standard for passing Closed Captions through digital video connections. If you want control of your Closed Captions at your television, then you're generally stuck with AV connections. If you use digital connections, then you enable Closed Captions at the source, i..e, in the DCT-3416, not the television.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-30-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:

There is no standard for passing Closed Captions through digital video connections. If you want control of your Closed Captions at your television, then you're generally stuck with AV connections. If you use digital connections, then you enable Closed Captions at the source, i..e, in the DCT-3416, not the television.

OK thanks again. I had hoped that by using Component (vs HDMI) I would continue to be able to enable CC via the TV. So it goes. Happy New Year!
post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2008, 09:31 AM

I have a similar problem only the CC is on all the time. I have VIZO 42 LCD w/ DCT 6416. CC is disabled on the TV. Went to en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...Closed_Caption as bicker1 stated. But I am confused on this part of the instruction...

"The DVR's handling of closed captioning can be confusing.

It is very inconvenient, but you must turn the DVR off and go into the User Settings menu to make changes to the closed captioning settings. There is no interface to change the CC settings without turning off the DVR."

Are they saying go to the user setting on the DVR when its powered off? If the DVR is powered off can how can you access the user setting??
Would someone please explain?

thanks
post #9 of 10 Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 AM

post #10 of 10 Old 08-02-2009, 07:26 PM

The power off--menu diagnostics don't let me change the CC settings on this STB. The power off--info function is turned to ON and ENG. Still no captions. If the answer is on here somewhere, I can't find it!
Any ideas?
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page