Possible to split a satellite signal? 2 LNBs, but 3 boxes. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2007, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have dish network. I have 2 LNBs on the dish. and 2 Set-top-boxes hooked up. I also have another box taht I'd like to hook up in the basement. Is there a way I can split the signal to have it down there too?

I used to just use an A/B switch and depending on which TV I was watching I'd switch the input to that receiver.. but would rather do it so that it is all independent.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Gots to have a multiswitch for more than 2 receivers.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Call Dish or your retailer / installer so they can set it up correctly. You do NOT want to use an A/B switch, nor use the "satellite" splitters.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Old 11-04-2007, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Call Dish or your retailer / installer so they can set it up correctly. You do NOT want to use an A/B switch, nor use the "satellite" splitters.

Why don't I want to use a A/B switch?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
The satellite receiver is kinda like a phone....it has to "call" the LNBF to make the connection. Using a splitter is like an old-fashioned "party line", and it gets the same thing as the other receiver on that line.

Here, though, we are talking about the individual satellites, and their left-hand or right-hand polarizations.

An A/B switch might work, but could likely short out the receivers' switching voltages, damaging the receiver.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Old 11-04-2007, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

But if
LNB A - Going to Receiver A
LNB B - Going to Receiver B...

why couldn't I make
LNB A - Going to Receiver A
LNB B - Going to A/B Switch
Switch A - Receiver B
Switch B - Receiver C

As far as the LNB is concerned it is just going to think it is on Receiver B even if it is on Receiver C.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

That's NOT the way it works. Trust me - you HAVE to do the RIGHT switch. DIsh uses BOTH LNBs to BOTH receivers.

What LNBs and receivers and switches are currently there ?
My Guess is that you have a Dish500 with 2 Dual LNBs, connected with SW21s.

Now, if it is acceptable to you to "share" a receiver, why don't you share the RF output and leave the DBS receiver in ONE location ? On the RF output - you can use splitters/amps/A/B switches, etc. to your hearts content, because those signals are just like your TV signals.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's NOT the way it works. Trust me - you HAVE to do the RIGHT switch. DIsh uses BOTH LNBs to BOTH receivers.

What LNBs and receivers and switches are currently there ?
My Guess is that you have a Dish500 with 2 Dual LNBs, connected with SW21s.

Now, if it is acceptable to you to "share" a receiver, why don't you share the RF output and leave the DBS receiver in ONE location ? On the RF output - you can use splitters/amps/A/B switches, etc. to your hearts content, because those signals are just like your TV signals.

The RF output would require me to have the same channel on 2 TVs. Technically based on what you are saying about "Both". I do notice that there are 2 lines running into the back of the 2 receivers. So I would need 2 A/B switches switched simultaneously to do the job
Old 11-04-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

What Dish receivers and switches do you have ? And get that idea of using A/B switches out of your head.... It would be better to put up another dish for the 3rd receiver than to use A/B switches. - Honestly.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What Dish receivers and switches do you have ? And get that idea of using A/B switches out of your head.... It would be better to put up another dish for the 3rd receiver than to use A/B switches. - Honestly.

Well i know it would be better... but I'm trying to make due with what I have now. I used to have the Dish 500 pro but have since upgraded to the HD Dish. Not sure if they changed the switches too. But yea the usual Dish dual tuner setup. I wasn't thinking at the time when they were installing it all otherwise I would have done it right.. but for now I just want something temporary until next summer
Old 11-04-2007, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Call Dish and get the job done right. There are no shortcuts with Dish DBS equipment. You'll blow something up and the next post we'll hear from you will start off with "I was being cheap and used an A/B switch..." and the first post I will put in after yours is "I told you so"....

Old 11-05-2007, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DssTrainer View Post

... I used to have the Dish 500 pro but have since upgraded to the HD Dish....

That complicates it even more .
I'd be very careful about using switches, or even connecting/disconnecting any cables, for fear of blowing up some tiny parts (I've destroyed a few multiswitches that way, myself).

Have you checked out e-bay, or any local "Freight Salvage" stores or flea markets, for the switches? If you really have to do switches, I'd recommend unplugging the receivers before making a change....just powering them down won't do it, as they still power the LNBFs when plugged in.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Old 11-05-2007, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

That complicates it even more .
I'd be very careful about using switches, or even connecting/disconnecting any cables, for fear of blowing up some tiny parts (I've destroyed a few multiswitches that way, myself).

Have you checked out e-bay, or any local "Freight Salvage" stores or flea markets, for the switches? If you really have to do switches, I'd recommend unplugging the receivers before making a change....just powering them down won't do it, as they still power the LNBFs when plugged in.

This is the response I was looking for.... as I too have already done the A/B switch thing and yes... i fried something and DishNet had to send someone to my house to replace the switch. I was wondering if it was a fluke or if there was an actual concern with doing that. I could never understand why it would fry tho because I can unplug and replug the cable into the back of the dish receiver all day without problem.. but as soon as I A/B switched it a few times... it stopped working.

Well I guess that answers the question... its best to not do it until I get an additional dish/lnb. And yes I know you were telling me that from the start Scooper

Thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Well - the right switch would work also, without needing an additional dish beyond what is already installed.

If you would ever answer that question about which LNB's / switches / receivers you have, we could give you an idea on what to expect.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well - the right switch would work also, without needing an additional dish beyond what is already installed.

If you would ever answer that question about which LNB's / switches / receivers you have, we could give you an idea on what to expect.

I really don't know. I used to have the SW21 with a Dish Pro 500 and whatever the normal LNBs were. Now I have the HD dish and whatever other changes they have. I didn't mount the dish on my new house as I did on my previous house so I don't know what components they used.