Cable Signal Boosters - What works WELL..? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 03-27-2014, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bumping an old thread, sorry. Using a Motorola amp now but having issues with my upstream power is too high on my cable modem (56 or 57). Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 03-27-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
There could be too much splitter loss in the distribution system. You're compensating for it in the forward path by using that Motorola, but the return path doesn't get touched (amplification-wise, anyway). If possible, configure your system so that the first thing cable sees when it comes in is a 2-way splitter, with one leg going to your cable modem and the other leg going to your amp. From your amp to the TV distribution system.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #33 of 37 Old 03-27-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Return path is generally in the 5MHZ to 42MHZ range so attenuation from the coax it's self is generally not a factor , 1dB or less of loss per 100ft in RG6 or RG11. So you are either having to transmit through too much splitter attenuation, or if your amp doesn't have an active return path you will get a high attenuation through that. And there may be a line problem that requires a technician.
post #34 of 37 Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 259
The fact that you're using an amp at all points to there probably being a problem unless you have dozens of outlets. I have 14dB of splitters between my HDHR Prime tuners and the pole and I'm still seeing around -10dB. 14dB is approximately the loss you'd see through a 16 way splitter.
post #35 of 37 Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Geez, Where do i begin. I have 7 TV's. I have Verizon Fios coming into the house which goes to a signal booster (SV-A15PRS), then to a 1x8 splitter. so, the signal is boosted before the splitter. 6 output ports go directly to 6 TV's and all work fine. The 7th port goes to my Ceton Infinitv Eth6. This is a network tuner which connects to my home theater pc via gigabit ethernet. my issue: 10% of the time my HTPC does not get enough signal and drops the recording (infuriates my wife!). i read in a different place that this was solved by putting an amplifier literally right in front of the Ceton Infinitv Eth6. So, my idea is the following. buy a 1x4 signal amplifier, toss the 1x8 splitter (gold plated mind you ), use 3 of the 4 ports and distribute the signal using 1x2 splitters (6 tv's) and the 4th port directly to the Ceton Infinitv Eth6. if this doesn't improve my problem, i'll move the SV-A15PRS to be literally right in front of the Ceton Infinitv Eth6 (like in the other post i read) think this is a good idea? and which dang amplifier do i buy? i've seen most of them on ebay and amazon but don't know which one to buy. Motorla, antroix, electroline, Holland, etc?

thanks,
post #36 of 37 Old 09-04-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by delightfor View Post
Geez, Where do i begin....

thanks,
Throwing a second amp at your problem probably won't help. Modern CATV design should allow up to 8 outlets without an amp. In your case it's probably worth having Verizon in to get it straightened out. I don't know if the Ceton has diagnostic info available. My HDHomeRun has a webpage that shows me levels and signal quality. If Ceton does that's a useful tool to help troubleshoot your problem. Have you tried the Ceton at one of the other outlet locations? Have you tried bypassing the splitter?
RollTide2011 likes this.
post #37 of 37 Old 09-04-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Throwing a second amp at your problem probably won't help. Modern CATV design should allow up to 8 outlets without an amp. In your case it's probably worth having Verizon in to get it straightened out. I don't know if the Ceton has diagnostic info available. My HDHomeRun has a webpage that shows me levels and signal quality. If Ceton does that's a useful tool to help troubleshoot your problem. Have you tried the Ceton at one of the other outlet locations? Have you tried bypassing the splitter?
Hi olyteddy, thanks for the reply. I agree, i suspect it won't help but i'm guessing its a cheap (expense wise) attempt at the problem. Ceton does have a web utility which shows me these levels and from what i've read (i'm no expert) they all seem to fall within range. For example, as i write this email, i have 3.6, 1.6, 2.1, 3.1, 2.3, dbmv channel 1 through 5. 6 not tuned. temp is 67 degrees, and the SNR is 39.9 yet earlier today, my program failed to record while i was at work. just so danged inconsistent. i have not tried another outlet because the CETON sits next to my router. bypassing the splitter is what essentially i would do by using this new amplifier and still keep the other tv's funcioning. i also have not had Verizon out yet cause i honestly think their end is ok. i submitted a ticket to Ceton last night and they suggested the same thing. know of any signal tester i could buy to test my lines?

Cheers!
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV