5.1 analog to 2 channel stereo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-28-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on getting audio working in my setup.

I use a HTPC with an azuntech soundcard to watch movies off the hdd via theatertek. I have a pioneer receiver hooked up via 5.1 analog from the htpc.

My problem is that I have a Nuvo essentia system for my whole home audio and I am trying to find if there is a way to listen to the HTPC over the nuvo. I have a neothings borrego that I shoot the video around with so no problems there.

I thought I might be able to use the headphone out but all I can hear is the front channels.

Looking around on the net I haven't been able to find anything. Does anyone know if someone makes a 5.1 analog to 2 channel stereo converter?

Is it normal for the headphone jacks on the receiver to only pass the front channels? I tried it on my denon 3808 and it did the same thing. I looked all through the settings and tried setting it to 2 speakers, and enabling the various mix modes, but none of the center channel/surrounds ever came through.

Thanks for any tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
how about a 2nd sound card on the HTPC.

Still connect 5.1 analog to your pioneer but have a 2nd card that is connect to your Nuvo. Music playback software should have the ability to choose the correct sound card??

or maybe run digital audio out of the PC to a 1x2 digital audio splitter (or small switch) and connect one digital audio connection to the pioneer and the other connection can be converted from digital audio to analog audio and connect it to the Nuvo.

or does the pioneer have Tape Out RCA connections?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #3 of 3 Old 02-29-2008, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
The pioneer doesn't have a tape out.

I'm not sure if theatertek would work with 2 cards or not?

I got busy when making my post that I guess I left out that I have a denon 3808 that I use in my theater.

So really what I am needing to do is go from HTPC--7.1 analog to Denon, then I was going to split the analog to the pioneer over to the 5.1 (as I don't care if the stereo zones lost the extra surround channels), then get it to stereo into the nuvo.

I am a fellow CQC user so what I am trying to accomplish is that if we are having a party or something people could watch a movie in the theater in all of its glory, but if you were out shooting pool in the rec room you could turn on the lcd on the wall and listen to the sound over the nuvo.

It's my only biggest issue with all my setup. Everyone comes over and finds the nearest touchscreen and starts turning stuff on, then have this glazed look when I say "yeah but you can't listen to it here in the is room"

Doing some reading it seems that the tape out might work, which I am not opposed to getting another receiver. I just wish I knew for sure it would work. I was really surprised that listening with the headphones didn't work.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page