Digital TV Modulators - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, my analog tivos and such are distributed to every room in my house using analog modulators that send my boxes out on channel 4,6,8, etc. I have an IR repeater system that sends IR through the coax.

As more of my stuff becomes digital, are any companies developing low-cost digital modulators that will take HDMI/SPDIF and modulate on Digital Television channel 10, for example? My goal is to keep using my coax system so that I can send the output of my HD tivo to all rooms and upgrade all the SDTVs to HDTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post

So, my analog tivos and such are distributed to every room in my house using analog modulators that send my boxes out on channel 4,6,8, etc. I have an IR repeater system that sends IR through the coax.

As more of my stuff becomes digital, are any companies developing low-cost digital modulators that will take HDMI/SPDIF and modulate on Digital Television channel 10, for example? My goal is to keep using my coax system so that I can send the output of my HD tivo to all rooms and upgrade all the SDTVs to HDTV.

Nope, non-existent in the consumer arena. The only ATSC (digital) modulators in use are by commercial broadcasters and distribution centers (Cable Companies) and they are 10's of thousands of dollars. You currently cannot distribute component or HDMI HD over a single coax. Supposedly there is some vaporware that Gefen is promising that maybe will do HDMI over a single coax, but it is undetermined at this juncture as to when or even if that will come to fruition.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post

Nope, non-existent in the consumer arena. The only ATSC (digital) modulators in use are by commercial broadcasters and distribution centers (Cable Companies) and they are 10's of thousands of dollars. You currently cannot distribute component or HDMI HD over a single coax. Supposedly there is some vaporware that Gefen is promising that maybe will do HDMI over a single coax, but it is undetermined at this juncture as to when or even if that will come to fruition.

What is keeping it from happening? If DTV can do it, why can't a modulator?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Because DTV has spent millions building the head end that can do it. It isn't a viable consumer product.

Modulation was used for SD TV, like you are foing because it was cheap. Modulate the signal, put it on channel x and boom every tv in the house can share the source for a couple hndred bucks. No expensive matrix switches, no expensive re-wiring.

Digital modulation removes the only reason regular modulation existed. It ain't cheap. It would be infinitely cheaper to build a matrix based distribution system than to do it with a modulation scheme.