Brando HDMI/CAT6 converter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-25-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got it last week. I bench tested it for two days overnight no problems. We just finished the conversion of our showroom with this installed yesterday and still works fine.

My setup is DirecTV HR-20 & Sony Blu Ray into a 3-in/8-out HDMI splitter from AAMP. This box runs 5 large LCD, the HDMI/CAT6 converter and a HD-Fury to 1x4 VGA splitter running 2 VGA-in TVs and a Audio Authority HD converter (taking VGA to composite to run an additional 7 small LCDs). The HDMI/CAT6 sender is connected to it's receiver by 75' CAT6 and the receiver is then connected to another splitter setup just like the first side. All together 23 LCDs from 9-52".

I will say it does take a while to get from them due to customs, left Hong Kong on Mar 2 and I got it last Mar 18. They shipped it right away tho, so it's not their fault.

Good marks so far. Money well spent compared to the Gefen, Honeywell or Key Digital. Also, as I work for a CE OEM, I can say this thing actually does not feel cheaply made. Feels like it should, even though it's 1/10th the price of the Honeywell/Key Digital setup.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/21...dmi-extenders/

Oh, I should mention I had quick and informative pre-sales product support.

Hope this helps.

edit - I should add that I went with the CAT-6 version (the ones for $71) not the CAT5 version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone else tried this?

Makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with the pricing. How can there be such a huge difference in price to the mainstay?

I notice that the site is in Hong Kong. Is there are regular plug-in for North American household electicity?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-11-2008, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Yes, it includes a standard 110VAC adaptor for the receiver (sender gets powered via the HDMI source).
post #4 of 9 Old 04-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
It looks like these require two cat 5 or cat 6 cables between units...is that true?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-21-2008, 01:23 PM

Yes, I can confirm these units require two runs of CAT6 cable between them.

Thanks for the review, bw8755. I basically bought these because of your positive words.

The units worked flawlessly for a run a little under 200ft, including any minor signal loss that could have occurred by terminating the runs at wall plate patch panels on each end.

So, on one end, we have the video source output into a sender unit via HDMI, then patched over to a wall plate with a pair of CAT6 cables, which connects to another room over 100 ft away via a pair of CAT6. In that room, we patch from its wall plate with a pair of CAT6 to the receiver unit, about 50 ft. away, which then converts the output back to HDMI, for input into a projector.

We were able to broadcast 720p and 1080i video sources flawlessly with this setup.

I might add that the video source was actually sent through a DA to split it into 3 duplicate signals, and it was just one of these splits that was then sent on its merry way through the Brando units.

My video sources were not HDCP encrypted, so I cannot vouch for that yet. (Didn't test with a Blu-ray player. Instead, we used an HD camcorder and a HD media player device)

There is absolutely no comparison here on price, folks. If your run is under 300ft, go with the Brando units. If it's anything over, you're dealing with fiber anyway.

Just allow 2 weeks delivery time for the units to clear customs, as bw8755 also mentioned.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-22-2008, 01:25 PM

Does it also handle audio over the HDMI signal? I noticed it only specified HDMI 1.2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey
http://coreygo.com
post #7 of 9 Old 07-02-2008, 10:02 AM

Corego, my guess is that the audio safely made it across the run as well. The signal is digital -- essentially "all or nothing". So if the video made it, the audio should have as well.

Unfortunately, our setup was somewhat temporary, and so I cannot quickly test this to verify. I do not expect to set this back up for several months.

My lack of familiarity with the HDMI spec prevents me from commenting too much futher. But, according to the few articles I read, HDMI 1.3 was only a change in terms of chipsets and hardware. The new features of HDMI 1.3 would have to be supported and implemented by the equipment on each end. But, the method of connecting these devices together has not changed. So, the same HDMI cable that connected HDMI 1.2 (or older) devices should successfully connect 1.3 devices.

Now, I guess the question is whether the Brando transmitter and receiver are doing any decoding/re-encoding of the signal. If not, and it's simply relaying the exact same bits of digital signal from one end to the other, then it would stand to reason that the units are forward compatible with every future generation of HDMI, just as the current cables are.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 AM

I just got 3 sets of these, the Cat 5E version, and NO , the audio does not make it safely through. I hope it does on the Cat^ version.

Well, stereo PCM 48k does, but any multichannel sound dolby digital, etc does not.

I have a Sony STR-DA5300 6HDMI in system. I connect a PS3 using a real HDMI cable, perfect Dolby 5.1 sound. The receiver blue light comes on, rcvr says 'Dolby Digital 3/2.1'

Plug in SAME unit over this extender system, picture is perfect, but sound never lights the blue light or says anything Dolby on it, just 'PCM 48k' and I hear standard stereo.

All 3 sets exhibit the same problem, whether PS3, cable box, satellite box. All work on a movie channel Dolby 5.1 thru standard HDMI cable, but stereo only on these Brando extenders.

Anyone know why? I have an email into their support, so far, haven't heard anything.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 02:05 PM

I just got my hdmi (tripp lite) thru cat6 ( 105 feet long) and i connected to my motorola verizon cable box and is really clear. BUt.... when i connected to my pioneer sc05 AV amplifier the screen goes blank(dark) and no sound or image is on the screen ???
So i decided to buy VIEWhd HDMI Extender via CAT5e / CAT6 / CAT7 Over 100Meter / 330ft Best Compatibility and still the same problem? why my Av receiver does not detect my hdmi extender???
Reply Home A/V Distribution