direct tv receiver control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-03-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello all, i need help/info regarding a direct tv receiver that i have in my upstairs family room, I ran another coax cable from that location to my central hub in my master closet, i outputted that signal to a video distribution panel so I can watch whatever channel I am seeing in the family room to all the other rooms that are connected to my central hub in the master closet. My main question is, I would like the best solution to control that Direct Tv receiver, lets say from my master bedroom where there is no line of sight so my current remote is out, or the remote supplied by direct tv, any help and info is much appreciated and thks in advance DAvid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is there a computer near the D* receiver?

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #3 of 9 Old 04-03-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

I can put a computer there if need be for whatever purpose your proposing, not a really big deal, if I did have one , what do you propose, thks again David
post #4 of 9 Old 04-03-2008, 07:56 PM

All of my current Dtv receivers give me the option of using the remote as IR or RF. Maybe the cheapest method is calling Dtv and seeing if you can upgrade to a HD-DVR? I currently have HR-20's and HR-21's, I'll check downstairs and see if my R-15 has the option as well.

RF will go through walls, though I don't know exactly how far the range is.

Tom
post #5 of 9 Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ok, i'm a dumbass overarchitecting my thoughts. Scratch the computer idea.

How about getting (this is overkill and a cheaper answer exists but i dunno details): an MX850 IR/RF remote, with it's MRF300 base station that comes with an MRF150 antenna. You'd program the MX850 remote with your D* IR commands, put the MRF300 in the FamRm near your D* STB. Setup the MX850 to send RF, it'll tell the MRF300 base station what button you pressed, which in turn will transmit IR to your D* STB.

Make sense, or am I still a mind-muddled mess?

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-03-2008, 09:57 PM

Liked: 11
You could also install a Xantech XtraLink kit which would relay IR Commands from one remote TV back to the DTV Receiver Location. They run around $80. Expansion kits for each additional TV would run around $55 each. You could then utilize inexpensive universal remotes at each remote TV location. You could also look into an inexpensive modulator to share, perhaps a DVD player in your family room with the remote TV's

"if you can't find the answer to life, change your questions"
post #7 of 9 Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 PM

I have an HR10-250 from D*tv. I love it for it's real tivo brand dvr. I am a cheapstake. I have it's hdmi hooked to a 720p plasma. unlike the newer D*tv hd dvr's, the hr10-250 will not simultaneously output two hd signals, but it will output 480i through all outputs.

between the hr10-250 and the upstairs 3 bedrooms runs one coax and one 4wire telephone line.

the coax is connected to the hr10-250 through an old vcr (the hr10-250 has no coax output).

the phone line is for a buffalo ir repeater system pieced together from partsexpress or smarthome (total $150 for ir block, ir emitter(mouse), 3 ir receivers(eyes))

...a lot cheaper than the extra $5/mo that D*tv wants for each extra receiver
post #8 of 9 Old 04-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones1215 View Post

My main question is, I would like the best solution to control that Direct Tv receiver, lets say from my master bedroom where there is no line of sight so my current remote is out, or the remote supplied by direct tv, any help and info is much appreciated and thks in advance DAvid

I have the NGHP remote extender and highly recommend it.....it works with most remotes.

Vin
post #9 of 9 Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

thks all for the replies, Vin I think your little gadget is the right thing, esp. for the price, i only have about 30-40 feet of distance between my bed and the direct tv receiver, and based on the reviews of the product it sure beats spending hundreds of dollars on IR transmitters and repeaters and so much other stuff, its prob cheaper to get off my butt and go change the channel in the next room, thks again for all of your help, I hope a few people can be helped my inquiry
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page