Best 1 zone 1 source option for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-06-2008, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read through a ton of threads here and everything that has been built is quite amazing, but it is much more than I'm looking for. I would like to be able to hook up my satellite radio (sirius) to some sort of input on a wall and play music to 1 zone (kitchen) and control the volume. Right now I have speaker wire going to the basement, and a cat5 run from a box to the basement as well. What is the simplest solution? I can run more wire if needed. I also have an RF remote if that makes any difference as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-06-2008, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have an audio amplifier for the Sirius than all you would need is a volume control in the kitchen. A device such as the NXG NX-VCM8 from Smarthome and others provides impedance matching to provide the correct load to the amp. Your run the amp output wires to the control and then from the control to the speakers.

Does that sound like it will do what you want?

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #3 of 4 Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 PM

beaker,
let me understand this...

Is the Sirius radio portable and you want to be able to plug it into a wall jack in the kitchen, have the audio signal go to the basement to a receiver I assume, and then have the audio play through the speakers in the kitchen?

The simple solution is to run 2 coax from the kitchen to the basement. Trim out the coax at each end with a wallplate that has female RCA jacks.
At the kitchen, plug in your analog audio from the sirius. At the basement run an audio cable from the wallplate to the appropriate input on the receiver.

Done.

That wallplate in the kitchen can now be used for any audio source you want to play thru the receiver (i.e. an iPod).

If the receiver is in the basement you will have to manually control the source input by going downstairs every time. I would suggest running a cat5 from the basement to your volume control. This will alllow you to add an IR receiver or better yet get a volume control with a built-in IR receiver.

To be really slick, instead of a volume control install an Elan Ole'2. This will give you complete control of the system in the basement as well as local control of the volume in the kitchen.

Rick Cassani, Owner
Advanced Home Technologies
Houston, TX
post #4 of 4 Old 04-07-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yes Gecko that's exactly what I am looking for. (receiver that powers the speakers in the basement, but the satellite unit will be up in the kitchen). It would be nice to be able to hook up an ipod as well. I will run a couple of coax, I already have a cat5e ran to the wall plate. The Elan looks really cool, however It looks like it is a CI only product and my budget does not permit hiring outside help at this time. I am purchasing an MX-810 remote, I think I can set that up to at least control the receiver in the basement (once I get the RF extender). I appreciate everyone taking the time to post.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page