Speakercraft Mzc-66 Trouble - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-08-2008, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a speakercraft mzc-66 unit that failed after just 2 years. 3 of the six speaker zones now just buzz all of the time. I had a service guy out and he said that the amp had failed they sent the unit to speakercraft and are awaiting a estimate to fix. So my questions are;
Has anyone had a similar problem and were they able to get the manufacturer to replace the unit.

Is there a less expensive unit that will do the same thing?

Does anyone know where I can get the software to configure the speakercraft unit myself without having to pay the dealer evertime I need to change something.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxg01 View Post

I have a speakercraft mzc-66 unit that failed after just 2 years. 3 of the six speaker zones now just buzz all of the time. I had a service guy out and he said that the amp had failed they sent the unit to speakercraft and are awaiting a estimate to fix. So my questions are;
Has anyone had a similar problem and were they able to get the manufacturer to replace the unit.

Is there a less expensive unit that will do the same thing?

Does anyone know where I can get the software to configure the speakercraft unit myself without having to pay the dealer evertime I need to change something.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'd call the original dealer that put the system in. They have more pull with Speakercraft than you have. Unless there is abuse, I'd bet that they would stand behind it.

Carl

Carl Fedders
post #3 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 AM

I have had exactly the same problem with our MZC-66 unit - installed fall 2005, began failing channel by channel sometime in 2007, now all but one channel is shot. Symptoms started with buzzing, odd or unpredictable response to key pads, high-pitched whine sound, and then total failure. Local installer says that each amplifier needs to be replaced at a cost of approx. $120 EACH! It doesn't sound reasonable that this should happen in such a short time. I have posted a request at the Speakercraft web site asking for advice.

Since you, I, at least one other that I found on the internet have excatly the same problem with equipment almost exactly the same age, there may be a quality control problem in manufacture of a particular component...
post #4 of 14 Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM

The amp cards are probably fried. They are easy to swap out. I've done it in the field.

Read your warranty and check the date of sale, should be two years.

Keep in mind the warranty covers the parts, but not the installers time to come out and get it, send it away, then return and re-install. Just sayin.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-04-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Please post back with your outcome.

Those MODE keypads are pretty slick. Speakercraft is on my short list for distributed audio (not many systems distribute metadata). I'd hate to have to eliminate them as an option.

On the bright side, it may make my decision easier.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 14 Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Speakercraft has great tech and warranty support. Of all the brands of equipment I've sold and installed through the years, not one has been impervious to the occasional failure. How the company deals with it is what makes the difference.

I've done many, many MZC based systems, and they are some of the most reliable I've dealt with.

The MODE keypads are great as well. Very easy to use. The iPod docks are great, and the MODE servers are even better.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-12-2009, 03:05 PM

I have the same unit. It was installed Feb 2006, probably from the same batch as yours. It started failing one channel at a time, it buzzes then starts popping. Two weeks after the first channel went out, the second channel went out. it is actually the amplifier that is going out. I also have another amplifier to control multiple speakers in the zone that went out, and they still work, it is just on the main unit the speaker output is shot.

Also, my neighbor across the street has the same unit, installed in 2005 and in 2008 it started failing.

This is too many units that are all failing the same.

My question now is, if i get it fixed with they keep on failing? Did they fix the main reason why they are failing or should I just suck it up and spend thousands for another manufacturer.

What ever happend with your repaired unit?
post #8 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
They had a heating issue, the new design has a big ass fan built into the top of the unit. I had to replace 4 out of 6 I installed. Swapping one on Monday...
post #9 of 14 Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Glad I went with the Nuvo GC, though seems like a straightforward fix.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 14 Old 11-08-2010, 05:06 PM

so i have the similar problem now i have 5 zones that have gone out on one of my amps. i purchased new sound cards on line and i swapped them out but i still get no sound out of speakers. all other aspects of communication from wall to amp seem to be working. what can i do to correct my problem. The guy that installed the system was a small guy and he has gone out of business. The amps were used since i could see other station names when he first isntalled the units. Any help for me in San Diego?
post #11 of 14 Old 11-23-2010, 06:13 AM

I've had the exact same problem - bought it in 2006, one channel started buzzing, poppping this year - took into my installer and they said all the channels are going bad and it would be $170 each to replace. Also mentioned that new version has a fan - this was clearly a defective product based on all the comments here. I am getting a refurbished unit with a fan through my installer that will run me $550 in total.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosloco View Post

so i have the similar problem now i have 5 zones that have gone out on one of my amps. i purchased new sound cards on line and i swapped them out but i still get no sound out of speakers. all other aspects of communication from wall to amp seem to be working. what can i do to correct my problem. The guy that installed the system was a small guy and he has gone out of business. The amps were used since i could see other station names when he first isntalled the units. Any help for me in San Diego?

I would contact Speakercraft directly and see if they can put you in contact with a dealer in the area. Worst case, you are close to Speakercraft. Take the unit there and get them to fix it...
post #13 of 14 Old 04-27-2014, 07:41 AM

i have the same prolem with the same vintage mzc66.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-24-2014, 06:23 AM

MZC-66 Fan Continuously ON

Is the fan for a MZC-66 suppose to run continuously?
Power switch is "ON" ( red light) but no zones (illuminated)

Also, when selecting "TNR" on keypad the -66 selects "Main Off" in my Denon AVR-2105.
Did not do this before.

Tried resetting by pulling plug. Still the same.

All works well for other inputs.

TIA
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page