removing cat5 wire once it is punched down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought an existing home, and I'm very interested in creating a wired data network. I have an existing 110-type telephone panel that I want to move some already punched down wires to a newly installed patch panel in order to create the wired data network.

I was wondering how possible it is to completely remove the punched down wire from the connectors. I tried to pull on the wires a little, but they didn't budge (I think this makes sense since they're punched down). Do I have to just cut and leave behind the wire that's already punched down?

BTW - My telephone panel is an OnQ 1x11 basic telecom module, similar to what you can find here: [url][http://www.onqlegrand.com/jahia/Jahia/pid/969]. (Sorry - 1st time poster, so can't create the link). If you can think of an easier way for me to create my data network with this module. please chime in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 12:26 AM

You just have to pull the wires a little harder and they will come out. Punchdown blocks are designed to be reused, although not a huge number of times.

Naturally you will have to clip off the mangled ends of the wires so you have a clean end to punch down again. And hopefully you are using a real punch down tool and not just fingers or a screwdriver or something.

Keith
Old 05-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Liked: 11
When you do this make sure you put 1 hand on the board and 1 on the block. I have actually seen older blocks break from yanking cables off of them. You do have to use a little bit of force but it usually doesn't break. Also if you are reusing the block, make sure there is no peices of wire or insulation left inbetween the pins where you pulled the cable out. If there is something still left behind when you punch down a new cable it won't make contact.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:25 PM

Also be sure to pinch the wire as close to the metal tabs as possible so you don't torque it or pull it horizontally through the tabs.

Signature.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:34 PM

A dental pick can work well for pulling wires from a punchdown. If you are not re-using the punchdowns on the old block, just cut the wires close. You will need to trim those ends off the wires anyway to get a good new punchdown
Old 05-05-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the words of wisdom. Staring at the block, I see:

vvvvv
----------
^^^^

where v and ^ are the metal tabs and `----` is my wire. I pinched the wire with pliers as close to the tabs as possible and pulled the wire out towards me while pushing down on the block. I'm assuming that's what everyone meant by "pull" (pull towards me) rather than "pulling to the right" in my pic, correct?

The wire came out fine, but I'm just double checking my method, so I don't worry about damaging anything when I pull out the rest of the wires.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:46 PM

Sounds good.

Signature.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi....is it possible to remove a wire that has been punched down & also has been cut very close so there is not enough wire to grab onto to pull on?....also can I get a shock from working on the telephone wires? TIA
Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by domm View Post

....also can I get a shock from working on the telephone wires? TIA

Sure can, if you receive an incoming call while you're touching the feed or the block while the feed is connected. It doesn't hurt; just tingles a little. Nothing like the shock you'd get from an electrical outlet.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for your reply cshepard. The job is done & thankfully nobody called!!