Any experience with avovernet component balun? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I came across this component/analog audio balun on ebay and I was wondering if anyone knew if this product was legit? I have never seen component and analog audio on one cat5 before. Seems awfully cheap too. Just taking a stab in the dark if anybody has ever used this before. If not, any thoughts are welcome.

http://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ayphotohosting

Edit: Sorry, I forgot you can't post ebay links. It is item number 370064965875
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-09-2008, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed M View Post

I came across this component/analog audio balun on ebay and I was wondering if anyone knew if this product was legit? I have never seen component and analog audio on one cat5 before. Seems awfully cheap too. Just taking a stab in the dark if anybody has ever used this before. If not, any thoughts are welcome.

I saw feedback for item # 370047387360 which is component video and digital audio over cat5. The guy said it worked as advertised. I wonder if this stereo audio item you mentioned would do component video and digital audio instead of analog. .

EDIT: the prices on these baluns make me want to reconsider even running rg-59 to my video locations. I may just use baluns throughout the house.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCannon View Post

I wonder if this stereo audio item you mentioned would do component video and digital audio instead of analog.

The audio channel is listed as 600 ohms with a 20kHz bandwidth so I doubt that it would work for digital audio. But there are baluns available that do digital audio. I found several listings for them on Ebay and see http://www.avsuperstore.com/moreinfo...telix/AVO-V3AD for an example.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #4 of 23 Old 07-09-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a passive balun....That's why it is so cheap. I'd say you might end up with crappy video/audio at any significant distance. There are active baluns that do stereo audio and component video over one cat5 from NTI and Gefen but they run around $350 for a pair.

As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for....I'd steer clear.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post

That's a passive balun....That's why it is so cheap. I'd say you might end up with crappy video/audio at any significant distance. There are active baluns that do stereo audio and component video over one cat5 from NTI and Gefen but they run around $350 for a pair.

As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for....I'd steer clear.

I am looking for the ability to use cat5 instead of rg59 x 5 runs. . The long distance transmission isn't really a concern for me. For $100 a pair, I will prob give them a test when the times comes in my project.
post #6 of 23 Old 07-09-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am looking for the ability to use cat5 instead of rg59 x 5 runs. . The long distance transmission isn't really a concern for me. For $100 a pair, I will prob give them a test when the times comes in my project.

By long distance, I mean anything over 50'....I've seen so many complaints about passive baluns when approaching anything near normal distances that you would encounter in a moderate sized home.

I'd go with something proven then like the many active baluns that use two Cat5s. I personally use the CELabs RX/TX units and never have had an issue with them. Great for passing around IR too. They are only $60 more than the passive baluns.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:

By long distance, I mean anything over 50'....I've seen so many complaints about passive baluns when approaching anything near normal distances that you would encounter in a moderate sized home.

I'd go with something proven then like the many active baluns that use two Cat5s. I personally use the CELabs RX/TX units and never have had an issue with them. Great for passing around IR too. They are only $60 more than the passive baluns.

I hear your logic. . . but what do you think about these passive baluns? The description indicates 10x to 20x the distance you are mentioning for passive baluns. (500 - 1000ft)

I agree that what has already worked for you is worth advocating. . But if passive, less expensive baluns will also work well, do you think they are worth considering?
post #8 of 23 Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I use passive baluns from MCM Electronics that work great on a run that is probably about 150 feet total.

I picked up a pair of the avovernet passive balun (component plus digital audio) and while I can get the audio through, I am having trouble with the video. But I want to caution that I don't know why I am having trouble, as I haven't investigated whether the baluns are faulty, or whether my connects are bad.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #9 of 23 Old 07-10-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hear your logic. . . but what do you think about these passive baluns? The description indicates 10x to 20x the distance you are mentioning for passive baluns. (500 - 1000ft)

I agree that what has already worked for you is worth advocating. . But if passive, less expensive baluns will also work well, do you think they are worth considering?

It's always worth considering....I can't speak directly for the avocat units as I've never personally used them. My suggestion is buy them from somewhere that has a good return policy and give them a shot in your application. That's the only way to know if their performance is acceptable for you.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-10-2008, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've used the Intelix baluns (and posted many times about them) and I've not had a problem.

My longest run is probably 200ftish though, so I'm not testing the limits...

the sticky is about my crappy blues pickin'...
post #11 of 23 Old 10-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed M View Post

Anyone yet use the AVOVERNET baluns? The guy has great feedback on ebay (do a search for COMPONENT BALUN).
post #12 of 23 Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 PM

I tried these avovernet baluns from ebay out tonight on an estimated 100' run of cat5e using a twc cable box & toshiba hd-dvd player. With the HD-DVD; it looked very good but with the cable box there was definately some noise in the form of a gray/brown horizontal bar that moved up and down. I couldn't see this artifact using the HD-DVD player. Both the HDDVD & cable box appeared slightly darker. I had two lines of cat5; tried both with same result. I replace the 100' cat5 w/ a short 3 foot jumper with the same cable box (not same TV) and didn't see the horizontal line.

Both of the baluns came with slightly bent rca plugs that had to be "adusted" with a pair of needle nose pliars to fit the jacks.

Does anyone have any ideas on why the cable box would be worse than the HDDVD player? Is 100' too long? Maybe cheap builder cat5e? Any thoughts? Should I try another brand of balun?
post #13 of 23 Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I stand by my opinion that passive baluns that do not actively convert the signal to 100-ohm balanced, will have these types of problems at any significant length. The reason that you are experiencing different results is likely the driver circuitry for the component voltage levels in each device are manufactured to different specs and can't overcome the impedance of 100' of cat5 cable.
post #14 of 23 Old 10-28-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:

I stand by my opinion that passive baluns that do not actively convert the signal to 100-ohm balanced, will have these types of problems at any significant length. The reason that you are experiencing different results is likely the driver circuitry for the component voltage levels in each device are manufactured to different specs and can't overcome the impedance of 100' of cat5 cable.

It appears I may also be having ground loop problems. Doing some reading, it appears that the artifacts I'm seeing are consistent with those generated by ground loop problems. Those problems aside, the picture quality with these avovernet baluns just isn't quite good enough.

I can work on some solutions for the ground loop issues but not sure even if I get them resolved that I will be happy with picture quality. I'm curious if I can get satisfactory picture quality with baluns, even if I go with the more expensive active baluns.

Robert, it appears by reading through the threads that you are a big fan of the CE Labs active baluns. I may buy a set of these and give them a test drive; this would resolve my IR problem and my D/A issue on the other end for most of my TV's. Would the fact that these baluns are active possible resolve my ground loop issues? The downside is I need to run additional cat5 which is troublesome but possible in most of my locations. If I have to run additonal cat5 lines should I run cat6? Is a specific type or brand of cat5/6 a better option for video distribution?

Does anyone have recomendations for alternatives to the CE Labs Baluns that provide the same functionality (component, ir, analog & digital audio) ?
post #15 of 23 Old 10-28-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not necessarily a 'fan' of the CELabs other than that's what I personally use and they work. I'm always a fan of what works, for me anyway.

As for the Cat5/Cat6 issue. Component Baluns won't ever need anything greater than Cat5, IMHO. However, in the future if you plan to use the Catx cables for HDMI or some other spec that comes down the pipe at much higher resolutions, then it may be possible that the bandwidth of Cat6 is needed. If you can, run two cat6's while you are running one to each location. If not, then just run a second cat5 to pair with your existing one.

There are a couple of baluns that use a single cat5 for all the signals (Gefen and NTI have them), but they are 3X the cost of those that use two cat5's.
post #16 of 23 Old 10-28-2008, 11:45 AM

I'm a fan of the cheapest thing that works hence my attempt with these avovernet baluns.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM

I just got this balun...suppose to support 1080p, hdmi 1.3...

http://www.uniqueproductsonline.com/hdovcat5ecae.html

I dont have a 1080p source yet, tryin to get a buddy to let me borrow his ps3 so I can test it out. It works with 480p, 720p, 1080i no problem.

I'm running it 75' with 2 shielded cat 6 cables and the quaility is very very good. I've seen only 1 problem so far...every few minutes I see a single row of pixles flash gray for like .1 sec. Very minor...for $100 its better than I thought it would be. It has a built in eq which I'm going to start tweaking with to see if it helps...just need a very small screw driver.
post #18 of 23 Old 11-01-2008, 07:12 AM

am very interested in your experince with this. Am considering the same solution for an AV project I am working on now. The below sell for around $150 set. Also looks like there are similar cheaper products (<$100) on ebay. Probably another case of you get what you pay for.

post #19 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 AM

So I got rid of the pixel flash simply by switching which shielded cat 6 cord was the video signal cord! Must have ran it a little too close to a power line or something...I know theres 1-2 points where it crosses a power line behind the wall that wasn't exactly 90 degrees.

So far no complaints about my $100 pair...seems excellent so far! Still no 1080p source yet to test out though.
post #20 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohns4 View Post

So I got rid of the pixel flash simply by switching which shielded cat 6 cord was the video signal cord! Must have ran it a little too close to a power line or something...I know theres 1-2 points where it crosses a power line behind the wall that wasn't exactly 90 degrees.

So far no complaints about my $100 pair...seems excellent so far! Still no 1080p source yet to test out though.

You could also have a marginally bad crimp on one of the connectors on the 'bad' cat6 cable. A slight impedance change that is causing loss of info. You wouldn't notice it on the audio side, but perhaps on the video side as you saw.
post #21 of 23 Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 PM

Thread resurrection notice: I finally got around to trying some cheap Ebay baluns.

I was having some AC interference with my component video signal (rg59 minicox), so I tried some of these cheap passive component video baluns (Ebay item # 370255515726) from "Specialty-av".

Definitely worse. The monitor lost sync easily, and the AC interference was worse. The distance is not very great, either.

Next step is active baluns. The only other thing I was thinking of are those ferrite core thingies... I do not have one on the plasma's power cord right now.
post #22 of 23 Old 10-18-2009, 12:22 PM

I have these Audio Authority distribution products advertised here in the classifieds. I am not sure if they are technically "baluns" but they extend component and/or composite and digital audio and/or stereo analog audio over 2-3 Cat 5 cables. They are powered and work up to 1000 feet. They are actually designed for signal distribution to multiple TV's in a retail setting, so the quality has to be good. I bought a bunch of these brand new for cents on the dollar on an auction, I only needed some of them, so I am selling them for under 25% of new price.

The AVS classified is here if you are interested. PM me with any questions.

Loren
post #23 of 23 Old 07-09-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenkoeman View Post
I have these Audio Authority distribution products advertised here in the classifieds. I am not sure if they are technically "baluns" but they extend component and/or composite and digital audio and/or stereo analog audio over 2-3 Cat 5 cables. They are powered and work up to 1000 feet. They are actually designed for signal distribution to multiple TV's in a retail setting, so the quality has to be good. I bought a bunch of these brand new for cents on the dollar on an auction, I only needed some of them, so I am selling them for under 25% of new price.

The AVS classified is here if you are interested. PM me with any questions.

Loren
I bought 4 sets of these Audio Authority baluns from Loren back in 2009 and they have worked quite well, have excellent PQ. Unfortunately, 2 of the 4 transmitter ends have stopped working.

Anyone have any recent data / experience regarding active baluns? Like Robertmee, I am now convinced active baluns are better for component video. I am back in the market. .
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page