what the best way to turn my dvd library digital , & watch it. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 09-14-2008, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok...I have a lot of questions, and this seems to be a biggest forum out there regarding my questions.

the goal: I want to turn my dvd library digital, and watch it on my big screen.

I have spent many many hours looking around at what is the best way to do so (keeping costs in mind).

and I am still stuck.
HTPC? Media center Extender? NAS Raid5? PCH A-110?

I have added up my movies (GB's) and it comes up to over 2TB.

I would like to make it future proof, and what ever you people come up with, I would like 5 HDD bays (preferable)...at least 4 though. I want the ample room because I would like to start having better quality movies....IE: Blu-ray, maybe ripped in 720 or possibly 1080.

what ever you guys are thinking, I want it to be able to do 1080p...whether that be playback or streaming.

any info would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-14-2008, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

I figured I'd throw in some more info.

Rule out Video_TS...I dont want to have to click on like 4 files to watch one movie.

I'd like to keep menus...but its not mandatory.

My current thinking is maybe using iso's.....I know popcorn can play those...if I choose to stream. and If I use a HTPC I know VLC can play iso's as well.

currently my dvd player upconverts my movies...and they do actually look quite abit better. if I do Iso's...is there a way of upconverting using any of the methods I have layed out (HTPC/Streaming/extender/ect).

I want the process to be nice and smooth, and not a bunch of encoding or other time consuming things.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
FWIW, VIDEO_TS meaning IFO/VOB files allows you to click on video_ts.ifo, and it'll automatically play all the various .VOB files affiliated with the movie. You don't need to click on each .vob.

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #4 of 25 Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

what the best way to turn my dvd library digital

dvd's are already digital, that's what the first D stands for... unless there is something new out?

as far a PCH goes, I have a Istar, kind of the same exact thing, just different output options... its ok, more of a fun toy then a real solution though...

PCH or htpc will both upscale

as far as video_ts needing to 'click 4 files to watch' huh? I just press the cover art on my Q1 I have sitting by my couch, and the movie starts playing...
Q1 screen:

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #5 of 25 Old 09-15-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

can it stream 1080p....I'm refering to your istar...(and the PCH...if you know about that one)?

and yes, dvd's are digital....I just meant...that I want all my movies stored on HDD's.

alsoIf I have a few HDD's in my computer (excluding the main (os) one), can I make them Raid?

I would like to do this cause I have heard that its the only way to make several HDD's appear as one.
The reason I want that is so that when I'm browsing my movies I can have them all in alphabetical order, and it isn't like: A-H is on D:, G-P is on the E:, & Q-Z is one the F:.

oh, and "IVB", I tried clicking on the ifo's...using nero showtime 4, and it played nothing, the only thing that plays is the 1 gig vob files...
post #6 of 25 Old 09-15-2008, 05:19 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murc View Post

oh, and "IVB", I tried clicking on the ifo's...using nero showtime 4, and it played nothing, the only thing that plays is the 1 gig vob files...

Something's funky then, try the free trial of theatertek. If that doesn't work, your ripping mechanism is hosed.

Me and pretty much every single HTPC'er I regularly click on the video_ts.ifo file, and it seamlessly plays full through. Just did it 3 days ago on my laptop in mid-flight.

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #7 of 25 Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

can it stream 1080p....I'm refering to your istar...(and the PCH...if you know about that one)?

I believe so, but I have not done it, probably needs to be encoded a certain way, and stored on an NFS file system based HDD (Linux), as the NMT has issues with SMB file systems (windows)...
just in case: NMT = Network Media Tank (ie PCH, IStarHD, etc)

Quote:

also If I have a few HDD's in my computer (excluding the main (os) one), can I make them Raid?

whole large threads have been dedicated to this very topic...you should do a search.... here are a couple quick things to think about...
can you make your HDD raid? depends on your mother board, does it support raid? or are you planning on buying a raid controller card?
you can also do what is known as JBOD...
consider this though, assuming JBOD or raid 0, if any one drive fails (and sooner or later one will), all your data goes with it... do you really want to re-rip everything?
raid 5 (or 6) let you lose 1 (or 2) drives and still recover all your data... but you lose 1 (or 2) HDD's worth of space...

Quote:

I would like to do this cause I have heard that its the only way to make several HDD's appear as one.

not the only way... but in my case, its a non-issue as my front end takes care of tracking where the movies are for me... I just press a button...

Quote:

The reason I want that is so that when I'm browsing my movies I can have them all in alphabetical order, and it isn't like: A-H is on D:, G-P is on the E:, & Q-Z is one the F:.

that is what front ends are for...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #8 of 25 Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM

I'm just getting started on this very same thing, so I'll detail the path I've taken. I'm sure there are a ton of other ways this could have gone, but it was the most economical at the time.

I wanted to watch movies from any of my 4-5 TV's in the house with very little hassle. I wanted the movies stored on a server that was remotely located, my wife would complain if I had a HTPC in the bedroom (too noisy).

My equipment:
TV's -
  • 50" Plasma in living room
  • 32" LCD in master bedroom
  • Sony 1272 CRT projector in basement
  • 20" LCD TV in office
  • 19" CRT TV in guest bedroom

Media Players -
  • 3 Modded Xbox's loaded with XBMC
  • Momitsu V880N networked DVD player
  • 4 DirecTV HD-DVR's

Media Storage
2 Lacie Ethernet Disks (1.6TB and 750GB)

I was able to find a diskless Lacie on Ebay. I populated it with four 400GB HDD's, ran the formatting software and its currently almost full. It's connected via Gigabit ethernet to my network. The smaller Ethernet disk is just waiting for the price of 750GB drives to fall a bit more and it will be used as backup (eventually all drives will be upgraded to 750GB, the max capacity of IDE HDD's) The diskless Lacie's cost between $50 and $120, very cheap in my opinion, although they did require a bit of trial and error to figure out how to format the new drives.

All DVD's are ripped in ISO format and stored on the 1.6TB Lacie

Three modded xbox's sit in front of three of the TV's and run XBMC.
The Momitsu connects to the network via Gigabit ethernet and although its software is a bit flaky compared to the Xbox, it does its job well and gives me the ability to run custom resolutions for the projector (540p, 666p, 920i, etc). I'm waiting for DirecTV to enable video sharing on their DVR's. They've currently enabled photo and mp3's, and I'm hoping eventually they'll allow video, but I'm not counting on it.

Each Xbox cost $50
The Momitsu was another $50, but its almost impossible to find even on Ebay now.
I was able to mod the Xbox's myself for almost nothing.

The most significant cost is storage, I'll soon need to upgrade.

Tom
post #9 of 25 Old 09-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

What are the options for having one computer, ripping the DVDs, and then having a front end to play them?

My brother and I have played with Xlobby. It has PPC control, which is nice. However, as I recall it has mostly been abandon. Getting the cover art in is painful at best. We have the newest version of dvd profiler (well, as of a year ago probably), and it exports in a way xlobby doesn't understand. A converter exists, but it doesn't work properly.

So anyway, what are front-end options for playing DVDs (xlobby did music too, which was cool, but for now DVDs are fine)? Easy DVD additions (pop a disk in, click "add to collection" and be done?). PPC control. Maybe IR control. What is out there. Xlobby is close, but too hard to get set up properly and run.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-20-2008, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

"Somewhatlost" - ...from what I gather, are you saying that if I have my movie collection on 3 different hard drives, the PCH (or istar) will see it and organize it as ifs its on 1 hard drive?

I was initially going to do some raid setup....although I'm a complete noob in that area. I was going to do raid5...but I'm thinking against that now because it would likely end up being expensive and time consuming.

so instead, I'm simply going to do it the wasy way...buy a HDD and hook it up in my pc....but I plan on doing this 3 times...cause I want 3TB's. I just wanted to make sure all my movies would appear as though they are all located in one spot.

also, i have read that the PCH can do 1080p....question: is it the PCH or my computer that does the playing? does the pc play it and then it just gets streamed t0o the PCH? OR does the PCH itself actually play it? I heard its like 500mhz. I (pretty old) pc it 3ghz, and it cant handle 1080p...so how can the PCH?
post #11 of 25 Old 09-20-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

oh, and one more quick question...I have heard people talk about that they wish it had a gigabit ethernet port, instead os its 10/100 mbs.

...why? If the PCH can stream 1080p flawlessly, then whats the point of being able to send more data to the PCH in a shorter amount of time? or is it simply for sending videos from your pc's HDD and store the file in the PCH's HDD.?
post #12 of 25 Old 09-20-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Somewhatlost" - ...from what I gather, are you saying that if I have my movie collection on 3 different hard drives, the PCH (or istar) will see it and organize it as ifs its on 1 hard drive?

not out of the box, but some people are working on a 'front end' type thing for them that does, as to how well they work? I don't know

Quote:

I was initially going to do some raid setup....although I'm a complete noob in that area. I was going to do raid5...but I'm thinking against that now because it would likely end up being expensive and time consuming.

expensive? maybe, depends on how you go about it...
Time consuming? not really... the initial research/learning phase may be...
Quote:

so instead, I'm simply going to do it the wasy way...buy a HDD and hook it up in my pc....but I plan on doing this 3 times...cause I want 3TB's. I just wanted to make sure all my movies would appear as though they are all located in one spot.

just something to think about:
with raid 5, it would take 4 1TB HDD to = 3TB, but if any one drive fails, (and one will sooner or later) you just swap it out for a new drive, and you are good to go...
with individual drives, it will only take 3 1TB HDD to = 3TB, but when one drive fails (and one will) you then need to re-rip 1TB worth of movies... have you ripped 1TB yet? its a PITA... not hard, or terrible, but still a PITA...
I am not saying that RAID 5 is the way to go or anything like that... just understand what you are trading for ease & cost... maybe 6 500GB may be better? at least you would only need to re-rip 500GB then. all hard drives fail eventually... the only question is when... (ie it doesn't matter if it fails after you already swapped it out for a drive 2x its size, but they don't always wait until you are done using them to fail)
when I was weighing the Ease vs Cost vs Security ratios for myself, I just decided to go with an Infrant ReadyNAS NV+
it excels at the Ease & Securety parts of the equation, I guess it excels at the Cost part to, but in a very bad way but still 2 out of 3 aint bad?
it really is a set it up once and forget about it type device... that was more important to me then Cost... I like things that just work...
Quote:

also, i have read that the PCH can do 1080p....question: is it the PCH or my computer that does the playing? does the pc play it and then it just gets streamed t0o the PCH? OR does the PCH itself actually play it? I heard its like 500mhz. I (pretty old) pc it 3ghz, and it cant handle 1080p...so how can the PCH?

the NMT do 1080P just fine, they even upconvert SD DVD's to 1080P...
the NMT does all the rendering (ie playing), the PC (or in my case, stand alone NAS) just store the file... not sure what speed the NMT runs at, maybe 500MHz, maybe less... its NOT a PC though, so that is really irrelevant... it is more like a smart graphics card, would be the best description I can think of...
ie they are using spare cycles from the GPU to handle maintenance/memory/network IO's/GUI/etc...

post #13 of 25 Old 09-20-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

oh, and one more quick question...I have heard people talk about that they wish it had a gigabit ethernet port, instead os its 10/100 mbs.

...why? If the PCH can stream 1080p flawlessly, then whats the point of being able to send more data to the PCH in a shorter amount of time? or is it simply for sending videos from your pc's HDD and store the file in the PCH's HDD.?

yep...
the gigibit would be for file transfers, not streaming...

post #14 of 25 Old 09-20-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for that great link...a lot of reading...

I jumped around, and read about half...I will read the rest later.

but it sounds like a really great system.

the biggest downer is that, lets say you have 3 1TB disks, and the forth one you buy is a 1.5TB's , It appears that your raid array can only have the redundancy is your disks are all the same size...if one IS larger...it basically ignores the extra space because it can only back up the amount of your smallest drive in your array. and thats, what dissapoited me.

think about it. if you have 2 1TB drives, and you have 2 1.5TB drives.

I wish it would let me decide which hard drive is the "redundancy" one.....cause then I could put the newer 1.5TB disk there. that way my other 3 drives (1TB/1TB/& 1.5TB) could have a total of 3.5TB's worth of space, and yet still have redundancy.

know what I mean? and can it do what I described?

whoa.....I just looked this thing up on newegg!!! 800 bucks!

damn.

would this work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817994037

hell, this one holds 8 HDD's and is still $100 cheaper then the netgear one: http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/8-dri...e-sr-hdpro.htm
post #15 of 25 Old 09-20-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

to me, it would feel like I'm paying 800 dollars for pretty much nothing...

ya know, its like a bookshelf...with no books. if you like to read you just want a good way to store your books, not a really expensive bookshelf that costs so much you cant afford to buy books to put on it.
Thats all I want with my files and hard drives.
post #16 of 25 Old 09-20-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

sorry about the back to back...to back posts, but I just have a lot of questions.

I did more looking around, and this seems like it would do the same thing as yours...but for $555.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822107011

what do ya think?
post #17 of 25 Old 09-20-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

first. using your bookshelf analogy, imagine your book shelf can hold like 5-600 books (just making up numbers, don't feel like doing the math... seems close at least), but they aren't real book, they are copies of your original books, and it takes you about 15min to copy each one... now in this imaginary world, all bookshelves are very unstable, and are likely to spontaneously send all your book copies flying off into a black hole, never to be seen from again... is $800 worth it for a bookshelf that is black hole resistant (although not immune)? who can say...
really depend on your own personal pain threshold... and whether you prefer the pain to affect your wallet or your time...
there is no right answer, but lots of options...

as for your QNAP find, it could be OK, but a comment like this Cons: Appears to have problems with recognizing drives in slot 1. On the QNAP site there are several reports of this problem. would make me a bit nervous...

your 8/4 drive enclosures is just that, an enclosures... could be good if you were building a server...

keep in mind that in order for your 'books' to always be available, you need to leave your storage on 24/7... PC's/servers/etc use like 60W-180W a small NAS like the infrant or QNAP is probably less then 20W...

really it all come down to what do you want to do?

as far as the normal RAID goes, you just don't buy 2 x 1.5TB & 2 x 1TB Drives... ie just don't mix them... then its not an issue

if you don't mind running a server, there is something called unRAID, it allows you to mix and match drives to your hearts content, the largest drive is always your 'parity' drive... but it's linux, so it would be running on its own PC sitting off in a corner somewhere... ( and yes, you can build a dedicated server for less the $800 without drives, just a guess would be $4-$500 with a good case and power supply)

post #18 of 25 Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 PM

Murc,

Look into MyMovies for XP MC2005 and Vista. It's free. They have a client/server edition. I do all my updating/ripping on my always on office computer, it serves up my dvd library to three client HTPC's.

As for the server portion you might want to check out unRAID from Lime Technology. You can buy a built system, or you can build your own. The OS runs off a flash drive. The system supports 16 drives plus a cache drive. One of the 16 drives is parity. The drives can be mixed SATA, PATA, IDE, and various sizes. The parity drive has to be as large or larger than your largest data drive. If a drive fails, you pull the bad drive, replace with a good one, and unraid rebuilds the data. If you loose two or more drives, you only loose the data from those drives. My favorite thing about unraid is that you can ad to it as needed. I started out with 5 500GB drives that I picked up for 80 bucks each, When I had those almost full I picked up a couple of Seagate 1TB drives for about $150 each.
With Unraid you create share folders. You tell it what folders to include and exclude. I have shares for My Movies (5 disks), My Music (1 disk), and Home Movies (1 disk). When I look at My Movies it looks like everything is on one disk even though it spans 5 disks.

I can't help much with HD content yet. I would like to stream HD but it seems like it's alot of work compared to SD.

Gary Trudeau
post #19 of 25 Old 09-25-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
just picked up two 1.5 TB drives

for BR ripping....

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #20 of 25 Old 09-28-2008, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Gary T - thats interesting.

I've been spending my time pondering through the web (and newegg heavily), and I have decided that I was going to go with a server.

I was thinking Raid5. I wasn't sure on what OS...I have never built or even USED a server before...I was leaning towards a windows version because I know that it would be easier for a beginner like me to understand.....But your UnRaid find is, well....quiet a find.
is it easy to use?

after scouring newegg, I have pretty much picked out exactly what I need to make my server.

mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813151063
power supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139003
CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819105018
RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134337
Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811128036

that is what I have come up with. (excluding HDD's of course), I plan on getting 2 1.5TB HDD's to put in it...and slowing growing over time.
with this specific setup, I think...I should be able to run RAID 5 using the mobo, which has 6 raid sata ports...and the power supply also has 6 sata power connections.

I am trying to learn about different window servers...
I am thinking about going with windows server 2008.(?)

if anyone sees a problem with this setup...please let me know. I am hoping to have the funds for it within 2-4 weeks.

oh...and gary, I tried mymovies once...it didn't work. dont know why, my pc is like 5 years old...maybe that effected it? anywho, I think I'm going to go with this server setup...and also the popcorn Hour A-110, to get all that sweet digital goodness to my big screen.

if anyone has questions or points...please let me know.
post #21 of 25 Old 09-28-2008, 01:57 PM

Murc,

You should check out http://lime-technology.com/ they have a great forum with lots of info. You can also do a search on this site. I have read many posts on Raid vs. Unraid. I think for a media server, Unraid is perfect. I have never built a computer from scratch, I had my server up and running in a couple of hours.

What OS are you using on your current computer. I think Mymovies only works with Media Center 04/05 and Vista. I have tried a few different front ends and I keep going back to Mymovies. My next project is to figure out the whole streaming HD thing. It seems like quite a bit more work than SD.

Good Luck,
Gary T.
post #22 of 25 Old 09-28-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

I did go to that site, and looked around it for an hour of so... it seemed.....ok.

I'm still confused on how it all works though...and if I will be able to understand it enough...because if a HDD does fail on me...I wouldn't even know what to do.
like: does it automatically know one failed? will it give me an alert of somekind? will I have to transfer files over?

oh...and I like that its small and doesn't even use an ounce of your HDD space...but, I dont know if I want a usb key sticking out of my computer all the time...and what if someone takes it, or I lose it...then what!?
would it be like a safe without me having the key?

lots of questions still plague my mind.

I was talking servers with a buddy of mine (not computer savy) and he was wondering if he would be able to access my server from his home....could he?
would it be open to the world? or just people who I give authority to?

do you have answers to any of these questions?

I might have to hit up that forum and blaze away.
post #23 of 25 Old 09-28-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

gary - I'm running Vista. I dont care much about mymovies though.

you could do what I'm going to do. buy a PCH.

PopcornHour A-110 to be more precise.

it plays virtually every format under the sun, to name a few:mpg/avi/divx/xvid/img/iso/ifo/h.264/mkv/ect.....its a long list...oh, and it plays several audio and picture formats.
I'm going to simply plug it into my router, and the hdmi cable into my tv, and stream beautiful 1080p movies straight from my server, threw the popcornhour ans right onto my big screen....I'm looking forward to that day...unfortunately...that day it probably a month away...since its going to cost me around $1200 to do all that. (that price is 550 for server, 400 for HDD's, and 215 for the PCH (+shipping).

in a week or 2 I'll buy the PCH...and mess around with it for a couple weeks, checking out how good it is, and giving it a new skin so the UI isn't as dull, then hopefully by that time I will buy my server and HDD's.
post #24 of 25 Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 PM

I think you should ask questions about unraid in the HTPC section or on the unraid forum, but I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

To connect to unraids managment utility you would point your web browser to http://Tower or the IP address. You will see disc status, disk temps, used and unused space, reads and writes, and if parity is valid. If a disk fails you simply pull the bad disk, replace it with same size or larger and unraid will write the data to the new disk. To upgrade your parity disk you would do the same thing. The cool thing about unraid is that if a disk fails, you can still access all your data as if the disk was still good. Unraid also spins down disks not in use (you can specify spin down delay), and only spins up the disk or disks being accessed.

As for the USB key, I put mine in one of the rear ports. If you happen to lose it or if it fails you would just replace it and re-assign your disks and you would be good to go. In the past if a flash drive failed, Tom from Lime has been pretty good about replacement.

You might want to check out the free version. It supports 3 disks. 2 data and 1 parity, or 3 data and no parity. The only thing you need to be sure of is that your motherboard will boot from a flash drive.

Unraid does have security, but I can't tell you if it's any good.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
post #25 of 25 Old 09-29-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was thinking Raid5. I wasn't sure on what OS...I have never built or even USED a server before...I was leaning towards a windows version because I know that it would be easier for a beginner like me to understand.....But your UnRaid find is, well....quiet a find.
is it easy to use?

don't get too caught up with this whole 'server' thing, its just how that PC gets used, you can run XP pro, or Win 2K on it and be just fine, you don't really need a 'server' OS... not that it hurts anything... but it may be overkill...

just some random thoughts:
Quote:

TYAN makes very solid MB's, a bit pricey, but they are good...
you can also just use a standard 'consumer' MB if you find one with enough drive ports/features you want...
Quote:

power supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139003

overall a good PS I think, Efficiency Up to 85% thats the kind of thing you need for a box that will be running 24/7... closer to 100% is always good though...
450w may not be enough once you start loading up on HDD's...
Quote:

way overkill...
103W wow... might want to try finding one closer to 45W or 65W... it is going to be running 24/7 after all...
also, you only need the horse power of a good P3, so any current uP will have more HP then you need... shop for price and wattage, there is no real need to be too worried about HP...
Quote:

good choice
Quote:

nice case... I prefer the coolermaster cases... well the older ones... I haven't lokked at cases in a long time though...

Quote:

that is what I have come up with. (excluding HDD's of course), I plan on getting 2 1.5TB HDD's to put in it...and slowing growing over time.
with this specific setup, I think...I should be able to run RAID 5 using the mobo, which has 6 raid sata ports...and the power supply also has 6 sata power connections.

just some more useless random thoughts....
raid 5 needs a minimum of 3 1.5TB HDD's...
you really don't want your OS on your data array... (be it raid 5 or anything...)
if you go with unRaID, they use a flash drive as your os drive, if you go with windows, get yourself a cheap drive for the os (I like raptors, they aint cheap, but they are close to industrial strength reliability)

PCH may play better with unraid as it prefers the linux file system? not sure, you should check over at the NMT forums...

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page