Video Matrix Switcher using Coax for Video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got simple TV distribution system from my aerial going into an amplifier and then distributing out over coax (rg59) around the house. Pretty normal.

I'm interested in using a video matrix switcher to feed multiple sources to multiple rooms in a matrix style fashion and am interested in AudioAuthority's AVAtrix range, however.... do any of these systems work over the existing Coax piping the analogue tv system around the house?

I understand the video quality would potentially be a compromise, but just thought that as coax can be used for running an ethernet network maybe you could utilise the existing wiring instead of piping CAT5 all over the house?

THanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you want to run the video and the antenna RF on the same coax? Do you want HD or SD?

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #3 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. So the intention would be to take over cable for video/audio distribution solely, and probably move what channels received by RF to satellite instead.

HD would be great, but SD would be an OK compromise for the majority of rooms.

I could at least reduce the amount of cabling by running SD over coax to most rooms and then potentially run some cat5e/cat6 to HT rooms.
THanks
post #4 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, just to be clear, the satellite would be distributed via the video matrix along with other sources is the intention.
Thanks
post #5 of 13 Old 09-24-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

HD over coax is still problematic.

For SD over coax you can use a video modulator of which there are many available. A four channel example is at http://www.smarthome.com/7704CM/Chan...dulator/p.aspx. It modulates and outputs the video from four composite video sources to the coax. There are four user selected frequencies in the UHF or CATV bands which you then can select with the TV tuner.

It also can use an optional IR wall plate sensor to send IR signals over the coax back to the modulator to control your remote sources from a remote control in the TV room.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #6 of 13 Old 09-25-2008, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

Thinking slightly differently, without actually modulating the signal and turning it from composite/component/whatever to RF and then receiving it via the TV tuner, can you inject the signal over RF and have a receiving box that essentially decodes it at the other end but just using coaxial as the transmission medium?

I.e. a bit like component over cat5 systems that have an injector and receiver?

Thanks
post #7 of 13 Old 09-25-2008, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Managed to find this:

http://www.hometech.com/video/av.html#coax

Any thoughts?
post #8 of 13 Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niavasha View Post

Managed to find this:

http://www.hometech.com/video/av.html#coax

Any thoughts?

That's nothing but a jack plate for running composite video over coax...

Look, here are your choices:

Modulate into RF - composite grade SD video + mono or stereo audio, multiple channels on one coax

Composite video - composite grade SD video only, one source only on one coax (IE a VCR output ONLY)

Digital audio - one coax

Analog audio - two coax's for 2ch

S-Video - two coax's for one source only

Component video - Three Coax's for one source only

So, in summary if you want to watch a component video source in HD w/ 2 ch audio you need FIVE coax's to that one TV. If you want to distribute multiple sources to multiple TVs you'll need a Matrix Switcher and 5 coax's from the switcher to EACH TV.

There is no consumer means to encode/decode multiple sources of HD video onto 'channels' that can be sent on a single coax. Cable companies do it with very expensive equipment. You cannot.

There are also no coax baluns equivalent to the cat5 baluns because there simply aren't enough conductors in a single coax cable (two vs eight in a cat5).
post #9 of 13 Old 09-25-2008, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I think composite video over coax works for me. I can then use the matrix switcher to change channels at the remote end and always leave the local tv on the same channel.

Where I have a requirement for HD, I can use hd over cat5e but at least I don't need to do this to every room which was the point.

thanks.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think composite video over coax works for me. I can then use the matrix switcher to change channels at the remote end and always leave the local tv on the same channel.

Composite or component video does not carry audio. Thus you have to run wires separately for that. That's why I suggested the modulator since that signal carries both video and audio. If you switch signals at the source you could use a single channel modulator, which is cheaper.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #11 of 13 Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-25-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

As Carl stated, composite video means just that...ONLY video. It does not include audio. The coax's I listed above are additive. If you want composite video AND analog audio, you would need THREE coaxes. If you want component video AND digital audio you would need FOUR coaxes. One coax in baseband unmodulated form gives you ONLY composite video, no audio. Only via modulation into RF will you get both video/audio on a single coax.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-06-2008, 12:33 PM

I'd go the modulation route as others have suggested, you get the most bang for your buck as far as existing wiring goes, and the quality is still pretty good since you're not worried about HD.

I run the 4 channel Channel Plus model 5545 and it works great. Even has IR control on it (you would need the proper IR receivers at the TV end).
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page