New HD distribution via QAM tuners from Bocs? Cheap HD Modulation? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 321 Old 11-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my BOCS Extender for about a year and it works great. However, over the last couple of weeks, the signal to the two TVs that are farthest from the supercombiner has been significantly degraded. This is on all three Extender channels and on the Local TV signal as well. I've tried increasing the gain on using the Menu + 1 program on the remote, but the gain is already at the highest level. Remember, it used to work great on these TVs and has suddenly taken a nose dive.

Is it possible that either the supercombiner or the Extender itself is getting weaker or wearing out? That doesn't seem to make sense to me, but it is the only explanation I can think of for why the signal used to be great and suddenly is so poor. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 321 Old 11-20-2010, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did you say the rest of the band was acting poorly? try removing the supercombiner and see how the rest of your video looks. Maybe an animal is chewing on the wires in the attic?
post #273 of 321 Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz View Post
I've had my BOCS Extender for about a year and it works great. However, over the last couple of weeks, the signal to the two TVs that are farthest from the supercombiner has been significantly degraded. This is on all three Extender channels and on the Local TV signal as well. I've tried increasing the gain on using the Menu + 1 program on the remote, but the gain is already at the highest level. Remember, it used to work great on these TVs and has suddenly taken a nose dive.

Is it possible that either the supercombiner or the Extender itself is getting weaker or wearing out? That doesn't seem to make sense to me, but it is the only explanation I can think of for why the signal used to be great and suddenly is so poor. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I sent an email as well, but for the benefit of the group:

My first reaction would be to use a small TV and trace the signal through the house to see where it starts to go bad. I normally point to bad connections or cables first - the connectors pull off of cheap coax pretty easy - or dislodge enough to cause bad signal. I suggest using a small TV and connecting it after each thing in the chain till you find the thing that is bad - splitter, connection, cable, supercombiner.

As a quick check you can remove incoming cable from the supercombiner and hook the BOCS wire (going to BOCS unit Ant-in connector) right into your main home splitter - if the BOCS channels look good then we should suspect the Supercombiner.

I'm also curious about what the bad picture looks like - is it snowy, horizontal lines, or diagonal lines - they each tell their own story.

Snowy tends to mean low signal - potentially bad cable, splitter, or Supercombiner.
Horizontal tends to be FM radio interference - bad connector/cable usually
Diagonal means poor signal balance between BOCS channels and cable TV signal - normally this means the cable signal is too hot in relation to the BOCS signal - turning BOCS up, attenuating cable or not amplifying before the supercombiner are all good choices as well.

Contact me by email if you narrow down the problem and I'll take care of you somehow.

David
post #274 of 321 Old 11-24-2010, 02:02 PM

Thanks David. I'll see if I can narrow it down and let you know what I figure out.

And despite this temporary issue, I still LOVE my BOCS system. For those of you who don't yet have one, they're having a great Black Friday sale - you can get the whole system, including the install kit, for just $99! Details can be found at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...do=ad&id=14657.
post #275 of 321 Old 11-26-2010, 12:01 AM

Received my BOCS a couple of days ago. Installation went smooth and with Dave's help the system works with the Comcast RNG100 box being used in MPLS area (although I probably haven't tried every possible function of the comcast box yet). In looking around this forum (which I am new too) I found BOCS HAS A GREAT DEAL on their system THRU END OF Nov. If you have been thinking about getting a BOCS, check out their HALF PRICE SALE in the avs classifed section
avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=14657

Add (www in front), being a newbie, I could not post the complete url.
post #276 of 321 Old 11-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz View Post

Just to follow up, I followed David Feller's suggestions and started isolating various parts of the system until I found the problem. It turns out there was an amplifier that must be going bad, because when I bypassed it, all the signal issues went away. And the signals are great on live TV, so I'm not sure that the amp was necessary in the first place.

So, no problem with the BOCS unit or the Supercombiner. They're still working great. Get yourself one while they're on sale. You won't regret it!
post #277 of 321 Old 12-06-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-SVT View Post

Help with an HR-21 please.

I am having difficulty getting the media hub IR blaster to play nice with my DirecTV HR-21. The only way I can get it to work at all is to mount the IR bug backwards on the window. Even in this configuration I get about 3 out of 10 key presses. Previously there was an HR-10 there and it worked great. The Tivo HD connected to the other Bocs channel works great.

I spoke with Dave on the phone. He told me the BOCS IR blasters output the most light from the tip. I reattached the blaster with the tip straight to the HR21 window. This works great! It does look a bit goofy and requires a lot more clearance in the front of the HR21.

Since this worked so well I also repositioned the IR blaster for the TiVo HD. This too worked better than the flat positioning.

I love my BOCS setup
post #278 of 321 Old 12-06-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I spoke with Dave on the phone. He told me the BOCS IR blasters output the most light from the tip. I reattached the blaster with the tip straight to the HR21 window. This works great! It does look a bit goofy and requires a lot more clearance in the front of the HR21.

Since this worked so well I also repositioned the IR blaster for the TiVo HD. This too worked better than the flat positioning.

I love my BOCS setup
I had a similar problem with my Samsung Blu-Ray player. The BOCs IR blaster just didn't have enough 'oomph'. I cut the wire and soldered in a more powerful IR LED from Radio Shack -- #276-143. This fixed it.
post #279 of 321 Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM

To David: the creator of BOCS. I like many others am keeping an eye on the development of BOCS HD. Making a working 8VSB ATSC modulator for an affordable price has got to be very difficult to achieve, so I'm not surprised it's taking a long time. I have two thoughts:

1) When comparing an ATSC/8VSB modulator to what will likely be your biggest competitor, the QAM modulating Zeevee system, I think your system would be favorable in part because many televisions out there can't switch easily from both antenna and cable inputs, and many don't even store scanned channels for both (only one at a time.) Such is the scenario in my case and I'm running an antenna feed through all the RG6 cabling in the house. Further, some televisions and set top units don't even have QAM tuners in them.

2) To me, the biggest drawback of the Zeevee system is latency. The delay from what I've heard is 7 seconds or more, which makes moving around DVD menus, etc a pain in the rear, and gaming impossible. What kind of latency could we expect to see out of BOCS HD? Ideally, something in the 100ms range would be offered, allowing real-time input-output so you can play ps3, xbox 360, or wii games. However, systems capable of that cost in the range of $14,000 or more commercially.

So I humbly offer my idea to you, keeping in mind that I am not an electrical engineer and that you may have thought of it yourself. Back in the 1980s, HDTV as an idea was first discussed in the US as Ronald Reagan took interest in the Japanese MUSE system, but it didn't make it into existence because at the time (due to hardware) digital encoding and compression of a television signal was not possible, and an analog HDTV channel would have taken up far too much bandwidth. However this forgotten technology could be a cheaper way to produce the desired resolution for home HDTV distribution, and being analog, might be able to have practially no latency and be good for gaming. If you could develop such a system, you could simply sell a filter to allow the bandwidth you need (say 4 channels worth?) along side your system. Of course there'd have to be a stb at each tv that combines the signal and outputs on YPbPr or some such. Even so, having the ability to run the system through the home's existing wiring while being affordable and having virtually no delay would have to offset that minor speedbump. So what do you think?
post #280 of 321 Old 01-18-2011, 10:24 PM

First off love the products! Got it working mostly in our new home.

However, ran into a bit of a problem with the setup.

First off, let me give a bit of an overview. We have an OnQ system that has CAt6, and coax to every room in the house. We have Comcast Cable, I have 1 HD receiver (not DVR), and 2 cable tuner cards in a windows 7 Media center configuration.

Install overview - Installed the supercombiner infront of the coax input. Hooked the BOCS hub up in the media room. For testing I hooked up the Comcast box into the BOCS hub. Works fine and was able to see it on all of the tvs I tested.

Problem #1 - When I have the BOCS media hub hooked up it nocks out one of my channesl and my Media center can not tune to NBC. As soon as I unhook the BOCS setup it comes right back. Is there a config that I am overlooking?

Problem #2 - The Comcast box doesn't seem to output the guide or channel info when hooked up to SD. Only when I have it hooked up via HD. Is this a known issue? Any ways to change?

Thanks for the help guys!

Dave
post #281 of 321 Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loskinski View Post

First off love the products! Got it working mostly in our new home.

Problem #1 - When I have the BOCS media hub hooked up it nocks out one of my channesl and my Media center can not tune to NBC. As soon as I unhook the BOCS setup it comes right back. Is there a config that I am overlooking?

Problem #2 - The Comcast box doesn't seem to output the guide or channel info when hooked up to SD. Only when I have it hooked up via HD. Is this a known issue? Any ways to change?

Thanks for the help guys!

Dave

Dave: I responded by email, but for the benefit of possible future readers, allow me to duplicate that (mostly) here.

my best guess is that the cable company in your area is using a non-standard channel for transmission of a few of their digital programs. In a few places, we have noticed that they even use the FM band for the upstream channel. So let's address these one at a time:

- There are two possibilities - each requiring a different response. First would be that the slight drop in signal strength through the supercombiner (RF in to RF out) is enough to make the receiver now not pick up a channel. The easiest way to test this is to just put an amp in after the supercombiner - between the RF-out and the main home splitter. Probably worth a shot because #2 is more of a pain
- The second possibility is what I mentioned above that your channel NBC is actually transmitted in the FM band (what BOCS uses, the supercombiner filters out, and superimposes r/g/b channels upon) - if that is the case, you cannot amplify enough to fix it and need an alternate wiring method. This is actually how I have my home wired because it also results in a better signal quality. The drawback is that it requires a second wire from your BOCs location - no problem in most dual rg6 wired homes but a serious PITA in older homes and condos. I humbly submit an example wiring diagram that shows an alternate hookup method that provides a clean - unfiltered signal to the digital tuner(s) - for instance your media center and Comcast box. See below pic
-
Frankly, this is a new one to me - I have 3 comcast boxes - all hooked up composite to BOCS and component to the local tv and the on screen guide comes up on all of them. I also have installed a number of units with HDMI to the local tv. If you could give me some more specifics, I'm happy to do some internet searching. i.e. it might be worth trying different output resolutions and see if it is in some weird mode.

post #282 of 321 Old 01-28-2011, 09:45 AM
DGF

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
[I'm not sure that this is the best thread to post in, but rather than start a new one, I thought I'd float a question that maybe David F could respond to.]

I started looking for a distribution system a couple of years ago, but for a variety of reasons didn't end up deciding on a final solution. I was very impressed with BOCS, and especially with the levels of support and commitment to client success repeatedly demonstrated by David.

Fast forward to today, and I decided to re-visit the whole question of how I distribute A/V. I just checked the BOCS website.... and it looks exactly the same as it did 2 years ago! There was still the notable absence of HD-specific products and the "News" page was last updated in February 2009.

I still think BOCS has great merit, and David continues to set a level of customer support that most companies can only dream of. However, my overall impression was that maybe I was looking at a company that was stagnating, and in this business, standing still is not a sustainable state.

I understand that with finite resources, updating web pages (appropriately) takes a backseat to activities with better ROI (such as product development), but the whole thing just makes me a little nervous about the current trajectory of the Company.

Anyone else have other thoughts or perspectives?
post #283 of 321 Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 PM

Is the supercombiner required to hook up the extender? I ask because I already have an existing modulator (which is on its last leggs) and all channel blockers in place. Also, does the coax out to the supercombiner also carry DC? As it seems the supercombiner takes power from the extender thru the coax (just wondering if I need a dc blocker).
post #284 of 321 Old 02-08-2011, 11:29 AM

I kinda have to agree, the HD option has been coming soon for a long long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

[I'm not sure that this is the best thread to post in, but rather than start a new one, I thought I'd float a question that maybe David F could respond to.]

I started looking for a distribution system a couple of years ago, but for a variety of reasons didn't end up deciding on a final solution. I was very impressed with BOCS, and especially with the levels of support and commitment to client success repeatedly demonstrated by David.

Fast forward to today, and I decided to re-visit the whole question of how I distribute A/V. I just checked the BOCS website.... and it looks exactly the same as it did 2 years ago! There was still the notable absence of HD-specific products and the "News" page was last updated in February 2009.

I still think BOCS has great merit, and David continues to set a level of customer support that most companies can only dream of. However, my overall impression was that maybe I was looking at a company that was stagnating, and in this business, standing still is not a sustainable state.

I understand that with finite resources, updating web pages (appropriately) takes a backseat to activities with better ROI (such as product development), but the whole thing just makes me a little nervous about the current trajectory of the Company.

post #285 of 321 Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 AM

I currently have a DirecTV setup where a Zinwell Wide-band 6x8 Multi-Sw (Part #:WB68) takes in 4 DirecTV signals and runs an output for 8 individual signals. All of this is setup on the outside wall of the home where all 8 Coax wires are run into the home through the brick wall. From there, the the signals are running seperately to each room. Can anyone provide assistance/diagrams/parts needed for a possible set Xtender setup?

On the inside of the home I have four receivers (1 HD/3 Non HD). Any help would greatly appreciated.
post #286 of 321 Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

I include the whole quote 'cause I'm actually a bit ashamed...
I flat did not even realize that we had a news page. That really is shameful because there have been a lot of great things happen over the last (dropping head appropriately) 2 years since that page was updated.

It certainly does not make up for it in any way, but what I've spent a lot of time on in the last coupe years has been pulling BOCS in as part of a full home system - specifically, I've written 3 pretty major "ebooks" - one on prewiring that you can download HERE (If I might in a slightly bragging tone say that it has kind of become the go-to reference guide for low voltage prewiring here and on a couple other forums), a "Build-your-own-DVR" guide and in the past couple of months a complete from-scratch tutorial/reference guide on home video surveillance systems (That my distributor graciously posted in its entirety) - all selfishly since folks that install peripheral systems also tend to buy... but I tried to give back a little in this manner...

I'm going to go through the whole site, though, and make sure it is freshened - I sincerely appreciate the heads up
post #287 of 321 Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maydavidj View Post

I currently have a DirecTV setup where a Zinwell Wide-band 6x8 Multi-Sw (Part #:WB68) takes in 4 DirecTV signals and runs an output for 8 individual signals. All of this is setup on the outside wall of the home where all 8 Coax wires are run into the home through the brick wall. From there, the the signals are running seperately to each room. Can anyone provide assistance/diagrams/parts needed for a possible set Xtender setup?

On the inside of the home I have four receivers (1 HD/3 Non HD). Any help would greatly appreciated.

I responded by email with a bunch of diagrams. Let me know if you still need help.
post #288 of 321 Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiruoma View Post

Is the supercombiner required to hook up the extender? I ask because I already have an existing modulator (which is on its last leggs) and all channel blockers in place. Also, does the coax out to the supercombiner also carry DC? As it seems the supercombiner takes power from the extender thru the coax (just wondering if I need a dc blocker).

So, the supercombiner is only needed in cable TV installations and only if you only have one wire coming from the main "Xtender unit" back to your main home splitter. It has a filter and some electronics that allow both downstream (cable TV) and upstream (BOCS channels) on the same physical cable. It does carry DC because the supercombiner has 3 amplifiers insider to properly route and terminate the different signals.

If you do not need to filter out channels (The filter inside takes out channels 95-99 and 14, 15 to make room for BOCS channels), i.e. you want to use your own filter or are OTA or satellite, the supercombiner can be replaced by a backward splitter (combiner) - I normally do recommend a DC block just to protect everything else around.

If you can provide more information, I'm sure we could come up with a wiring diagram for you. Also - what do you mean by "last legs" - are you having other troubles? I'm sure we could get you a replacement if it is having troubles.

DF
post #289 of 321 Old 03-16-2011, 11:17 AM

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply...what i meant by "last legs" is that my existing modulator is dying and now i have replaced it with bocs, and i have added a dc blocker just in case. Everything works great! Any news on the atsc modulation?
post #290 of 321 Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM

Howdy all:

I have a seemingly unrelated request for help:
Long story short, I've been helping another company develop a "Security Camera/DVR" business (Makes a good input for BOCS so it seemed like a good mutually beneficial effort), anyway, the issue with Security DVRs is that they are not great at alerting you when there is an alarm. Either people are not fully setting them up, or they just don't bother.

So, I've developed a nice little piece of software that interfaces with your home security DVR and will alert you by both Skype and Text message if and when you get an alert (motion detection or however you have your DVR set up).

So - if you:
1) Have a Home security DVR
2) Would like to be instantly notified of motion events by skype and text message

I need about three people to participate in the beta - just reply here or send me a PM.

Longer term, I think this will be offered as a free service but I need to get it running first -

David Feller
post #291 of 321 Old 04-28-2011, 10:02 PM

Hello, Is there anything stopping me using this in Australia? Is it fine to use this and still get the normal DVBT channels recieved on TV's?

Is it HD?
post #292 of 321 Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 PM

Hi Adam.
Are we talking the BOCS unit or the below request for beta testers for a security/DVR-Skype integration?

BOCS is an NTSC broadcast device - if that works for you (Your sources, your TVs etc) there is no problem using it in Australia. If all your sources are DVBT and the output of the tuner can be set to ntsc out and all your TVs are ntsc capable you are good to go. Integrating the two on one cable? That would take some playing.

DF
post #293 of 321 Old 07-14-2011, 12:09 AM

Howdy all:

Thanks for those of you who helped with the beta program - had great response from AVS followers.

We are now releasing Security-Cam-Link as a free software package to everyone. Thought I'd share a screenshot - and make sure everyone knows that the download is open.

This is a desktop application that links up with any Security DVR, allows it to find you via skype, and displays any camera activity (a picture each time there is motion) right on your desktop or phone. You can page back and forth through recent motion shots and all pictures are time/date coded.

Thanks again to all -
post #294 of 321 Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 PM

I have two of your BOCS xtenders, but I have a question. Could we get an update, any update, on the HD unit. Is is shelved? Will it come out this year? I ask (selfishly) because I've put off going with another solution but as the number of HDTV's in my house grows to double digits I really need an HD distribution solution.

I don't want to pony up 1-2K, but I will if I know for sure that another solution is not coming.

Thanks!

Panasonic e80HS, Benq 6100, Infocus X1, LG upscaling DVD/HDTV receiver
post #295 of 321 Old 08-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Just read through all 10 pages. Want to confirm that BOCS will meet my needs. Current setup has 3 TiVo HDs on 3 different TVs and 1 TV in the Kitchen hooked up to basic cable (with free FCC STB since my provider has gone "all digital.") Primary goal is to get main TiVo HD a DVD player and maybe a free FCC STB solution distributed to all 3 other TVs (primarily for the kitchen which will be small). As such, HD is not a huge issue to me.

Sound like a good setup for BOCS? If so, what are the current best deals around?

"Luck is merely preparation meeting opportunity."
3 TiVo HD
1 BOCS (in process)
post #296 of 321 Old 08-21-2011, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sounds like your setup would work. I personally wouldn't waste putting the STB on there and would do 2 dvrs and a dvd player. I have 2 dvrs and a wdtv that I use and the quality of the hd signals on larger tvs is quite good. Plus we typically only want to watch HD in our main entertainment area.

As far as deals I only know of the one place to get them and they frequently run deals if you just watch. Probably have for the holiday coming up.

FWIW while the BOCS set is awesome I have a feeling the HD distribution is pie in the sky. I made the jump because I didn't want to throw down the cash for HD distribution but have never really counted on the HD tuners actually coming out.
post #297 of 321 Old 08-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA2825 View Post

Just read through all 10 pages. Want to confirm that BOCS will meet my needs. Current setup has 3 TiVo HDs on 3 different TVs and 1 TV in the Kitchen hooked up to basic cable (with free FCC STB since my provider has gone "all digital.") Primary goal is to get main TiVo HD a DVD player and maybe a free FCC STB solution distributed to all 3 other TVs (primarily for the kitchen which will be small). As such, HD is not a huge issue to me.

Sound like a good setup for BOCS? If so, what are the current best deals around?

If you haven't already purchased one, I've got a good deal for you - we are running a beta program and if you would be willing to test it out with a video security system (hopefully something you already have) we would send you a BOCS for free. If you have said security system and already purchased BOCS, I could throw in a couple extra remotes instead.
Basically, we are wanting to test it out with a variety of different brands of security DVRs along with our security cam link software and this is easier than buying a bunch of different DVRs.

Let me know here if you are interested (or anyone else) and I'll get you hooked up.

David Feller
post #298 of 321 Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Feller View Post

If you haven't already purchased one, I've got a good deal for you - we are running a beta program and if you would be willing to test it out with a video security system (hopefully something you already have) we would send you a BOCS for free. If you have said security system and already purchased BOCS, I could throw in a couple extra remotes instead.
Basically, we are wanting to test it out with a variety of different brands of security DVRs along with our security cam link software and this is easier than buying a bunch of different DVRs.

Let me know here if you are interested (or anyone else) and I'll get you hooked up.

David Feller

David -- unfortunately, no security system in place. Thanks for the offer, though.

Did purchase via Amperior Direct (good experience) and started with the install yesterday. Currently still troubleshooting a few things:

1 - Going through the TiVo codes as currently Live TV button does not take me from TiVo Central back to live TV. Seems to treat it as a Page Up / Page Down code. My TiVo is a TiVo HD.

2 - My system went digital several months ago. Primary target of BOCS was a small TV in Kitchen (currently being replaced) and another in the Bathroom. Both currently have the little DTA shown in the Comcast video at the BOCS website. They go wall to DTA via coax and then DTA to TV via coax. then you use the DTA remote to change channels. Can't operate BOCS in that system w/ the DTA between wall and TV. However, if going straight from wall to TV via coax, the Red and Blue channels are there, but there is no local TV since the DTA is out of the loop. What do I do? Can I put the DTA in the Green channel on the BOCS and then have that functionality on both TVs via 1 DTA (rather than a separate DTA on each TV? Would have to use splitter at BOCS since both TiVo (w/ CableCard) and DTA would need to share the RF Out from BOCS. Alternatively, I guess I could split the coax from the wall to each TV and run 1 to the TV (for BOCS) and 1 to the DTA (and then on to the TV) to provide both BOCS 3 channel and current local function on each TV. (Problem is I would then either need 2 RF inputs on the TV (rare / impossible) or an RF to composite cable to use 1 RF and 1 composite input on the TV.

Thoughts?

3 - My DVD player is part of an overall Sony home theater package (w/ 5.1 sound). Couldn't find a Sony code to operate it, so used code scanning. Found a code that would turn on / off and give me some menu functionality but doesn't match up perfectly. Suspect I'll need to either code scan some more OR use the learning remote features.

4 - On the 2 other TVs (Sony HD sets that each have local TiVo HDs), there is currently no input into the RF. RF goes into TiVo (w/ CableCard) and out to TVs via HDMI. If we want to invest in extra remotes to watch BOCS on these TVs (secondary reason for buying BOCS because my cable system has set everything to no transfer to MRV transfer is useless for everything except local channels - could at least watch the main TiVo that is on BOCS in other rooms even if not in HD), I assume I would simply split the RF and route 1 to TiVo like current and the other to TV. This would allow me to watch BOCS on the currently unused RF input. Right?

5 - Will have to split the Red & White audio from TiVo HD. Currently, digital audio goes from TiVo HD to Sony home entertainment. TiVo HD goes to TV via RGB component (no HDMI inputs on TV, it is old Mitsubishi projection HD) and Red White audio. Will need to use splitter to route to both TV and to BOCS (or only listen to audio through Sony home entertainment -- fine w/ me but not rest of family). Shouldn't be an issue.

That's all I can think of now. Feel free to PM me if you can help and we can take the discussion offline. If others might benefit from it, feel free to keep it here.

Excited about the possibilities.

3 TiVo HD
1 BOCS (in process)
post #299 of 321 Old 09-08-2011, 01:38 PM

I sent a couple of e-mails to Dave in the last month and received no reply. Anyone know if these guys are still servicing their customers?
post #300 of 321 Old 09-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:

I sent a couple of e-mails to Dave in the last month and received no reply. Anyone know if these guys are still servicing their customers?

Have not heard anything directly. Dave's 8.22.11 post in this thread was the only response.

If anyone cares, which I doubt they do, I ended up splitting the cable from the wall into an A/B switch. A is the direct line and is where BOCS and my QAM HD local channels are located. B is where the DTA is located and allows TV to perform just like it would have if BOCS was never installed.

Only interesting thing is that I have a PBS channel on 14.1 via QAM, so the RED BOCS channel where my downstairs TiVo is goes to 14.1 rather than 14 when I push the RED button. No worries, I just use the TV remote to channel down to 14. It usually stays here so BOCS controls the TiVo anyway since it is not changing from Green or Blue.

I may try using it on my 2 HDTVs in the near future, but doubt it would justify a 2nd or 3rd remote. Just use the TV remote to get to correct channel and then use the kitchen BOCS to control TiVo.

Finally, am looking for a WiFi enabled BluRay player with component out due to old TV w/ no HDMI inputs. Recognize it will need to be manufactured prior to JAN 2011. Anyone with any recommendations for cheap and high quality!!!

3 TiVo HD
1 BOCS (in process)
Reply Home A/V Distribution