New HD distribution via QAM tuners from Bocs? Cheap HD Modulation? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 321 Old 07-02-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here I am loving this thing and JUST NOW realized that it can broadcast all three sources at once? I thought it was a single source at a time.

Any chance we can get an update on the HD progress? Even if you tell me lies... Adding HD to this would make it the purchase of the year - or better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 321 Old 07-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Bal

I would love an update as well. Been researching this quite a bit and some high quality broadcast equipment does this currently but costs ~$2500. And each one accepts only a single source.
http://store.hivionics.com/ProductDe...DVR-HDMI-T-MOD

Accepts HDMI or Analog. Similiar equipment to what Best Buy utilizes to send their custom feeds around the store.
post #93 of 321 Old 07-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
IM still having issues with the repeat of keys. I think I improved my coverage. My house is big but I am still having a problem reaching the one room I really wanted to use this originally. It is also almost the furthest from the room the Xtender is in. Mr Feller if you read this please email me I left you a voice mail and a couple pm's here.

Thanks,

Neil
post #94 of 321 Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Josh -
Yes - all three sources broadcast at the same time - independently. For clarity, though, (as this is a frequent point of confusion), if you plug - say - a DVR into the red channel, since the DVR only really has one output, you can only watch one pre-recorded show at a time from that single DVR. Every TV in the house can watch that show at the same time, but you can't watch two different recorded shows.
Hope that helps
David Feller
post #95 of 321 Old 07-09-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post

IM still having issues with the repeat of keys. I think I improved my coverage. My house is big but I am still having a problem reaching the one room I really wanted to use this originally. It is also almost the furthest from the room the Xtender is in. Mr Feller if you read this please email me I left you a voice mail and a couple pm's here.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil -
Terribly sorry about the trouble.
RF is a weird and semi-mysterious thing. We use 900Mhz which, now, is fairly open. Plus we do use a rudimentary type of frequency hop/shift to avoid interference. I've been getting a typical 150ft line of sight or 75-100 ft indoors with typical stick/drywall construction. Note that range is hugely impacted by the position and orientation of the antenna on the back of the Xtender - AND whether that antenna has a "clear" area around it. BOCS works best if it is the top device in a stack and is not buried below or around big chunks of metal.
The most common issue I've found tend to be air conditioners/duct work - lots of folks like putting their A/V stack in the basement and that typically means near the A/C unit - some slight shifting to keep the big return air ducts from being directly between BOCS and where you want the remote to work is usually worth a little playing.
AND - we do have a repeater - properly placed, it can almost double the range (I'm happy to get you hooked up with one) - I should note that optimum placement of the repeater is not always where you might logically think it should go, and whether it is plugged in right side up or upside down effects range as well.
Also check the batteries in the remotes - make sure there are not green batteries in there (long story but I got a really bad shipment of batteries from Asia - we tried to screen them all out, but if yours are green, swap them out... I prefer Energizer or Costco brand myself)

One last thing, the system is designed such that you can only use one repeater per BOCS system - so in the largest of homes, I usually try to place the BOCS unit in one end of the home and a repeater in the middle... So far I've not run into a home that I couldn't cover using these tricks. (almost none, one of the CROCs guys had me put one in his "mountain cabin" - I get up there and it is a 25K foot mansion in Steamboat - I told him to buy a Crestron... :-)

David Feller
post #96 of 321 Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal View Post

I would love an update as well. Been researching this quite a bit and some high quality broadcast equipment does this currently but costs ~$2500. And each one accepts only a single source.
http://store.hivionics.com/ProductDe...DVR-HDMI-T-MOD

Accepts HDMI or Analog. Similiar equipment to what Best Buy utilizes to send their custom feeds around the store.

We are not quite there yet -
In the meantime, I recommend taking a look at www.zeevee.com - I'm pretty sure they have a $1000 single channel modulator
(And frankly it mates up really well to our BOCS unit for control and a couple more SD signals)...

Thanks for inquiring - I'll make sure AVS folks get a heads up as we get closer.

David Feller
post #97 of 321 Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 PM

Ok I have a repeater. My house is metal studs so I am kinda screwed there. The his is large. I can control the system 90% of the time from my bedroom but my bathroom which I would say is probably 150 feet away is a problem. I get it to work for about 130 feet or so (I am probably over estimating) and then it just won't connect up. I noticed the repeater upside down worked better. My house is kinda a zig zag. I am going to try to depict what I am saying:

*__________
|
|
|
|
|@
--------|
|
-----------
X

The X is the room I want it to work in and the * is where the Xtender is. Sorry for the crude picture but I just missed ascii art too much! @ is were I have the repeater now. I wonder if the antenna can be extended with a piece of coax throughout the attic. I don't know anything about wireless but let me know if that is an viable idea. Otherwise is there some kind of a wifi to wireless or maybe I get a wifi to IR but then I am defeating the purpose of the device.

Well if you made it this far besides the problem with the range which is certainly environmental in my house I can't get the remote to repeat STOP. I can press STOP UP Arrow STOP and it will work but I can't press STOP STOP in a row without some other key in the middle. Any ideas here?

Thanks,

Neil
post #98 of 321 Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 PM

The spacing on the picture just doesn't work. Sorry I don't know how else to show it without adding filler letters. Sorry.
post #99 of 321 Old 07-09-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:

I really don't want to make this a bitchfest and I have to admit I haven't called anyone / David Feller for support. I usually work on this late and night and strange times. So I have a bunch of problems:

1. I can't get the remote to repeat certain button presses. I can't press STOP STOP in a row. I can press STOP PAUSE STOP. STOP DOWN STOP but not STOP STOP. I can't press the skip back multiple times. In SageTV I need to be able to press STOP STOP in a row but it won't register the second press until I hit another button. Also I think the repeat or spead in which a subsequent button is pressed seems delayed. I saw a way to speed up local tv buton presses but is there a way to speed up the Xtender? Also if I hold a button it doesn't seem to repeat it (I could be wrong about this).

2. My range in the house is about 100 feet. I have to ask I paired the RF extender do I have to pair a remote with the RF Extender? I walked down the hall and the remote stopped working. I plugged in the RF Extender and it didn't do the three lights blink fast response. Then I moved the RF Extender a little further away and stood next to it with the remote and it worked. I walked 10 feet away from the RF Extender and got the three lights blinking fast. I still can't get the remote to work where the TV's are currently.

That is it for now but I am sure I will have new developments soon. David if you message me your email or something I will send you some questions but I like the public forum so hopefully other people can appreciate and gain help from this.

Thanks!

Neil

For all - my email is dfeller@bocsco.com and my cell is 720-206-4114 (Gee that sounds dangerous, but what the heck...)

1. As for repeat, Since I'm thinking we did not have the SageTV codes (or do we? you might want to try the different codes under security/home automation), I assume you learned the codes. I'm betting that the Sage either uses a repeat code or does an inversion each time you press the same button. I'd like to see if you will experiment a little, and if we can't get it working, I can see if UEI (The IR code databse company) can send me a custom code for Sage TV and then I could send you a remote with that code pre-loaded... just letting you know there are multiple steps in trying to solve your problem.

So - experimenting -
Try learning the stop a couple different ways, first learn by just "tapping" stop ont he OEM remote, if that does not work, try learning by holding down the stop on the OEM remote until you get a double blink on the BOCS remote. The UEI learning process reads those as different approaches and sometimes will catch the repeat/invert method.
One other option, just for clarity, NOT as good and probably a pain for you - but you could learn stop into the stop button and then immediately repeat the process (without hitting stop in between) and learn stop into another button (It would learn the inverse if that is the method Sage uses) - it woul dbe a good experiment to see if that works - then you would hit stop pause (for instance if pause is where you learned stop the second time) and see how Sage responds.

2) on the range issue - I didnt see this post and answered that in a seperate post a little further down...

Let me know

David Feller
post #100 of 321 Old 07-09-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Ok I have a repeater. My house is metal studs so I am kinda screwed there. The his is large. I can control the system 90% of the time from my bedroom but my bathroom which I would say is probably 150 feet away is a problem. I get it to work for about 130 feet or so (I am probably over estimating) and then it just won't connect up. I noticed the repeater upside down worked better. My house is kinda a zig zag. I am going to try to depict what I am saying:

*__________
|
|
|
|
|@
--------|
|
-----------
X

The X is the room I want it to work in and the * is where the Xtender is. Sorry for the crude picture but I just missed ascii art too much! @ is were I have the repeater now. I wonder if the antenna can be extended with a piece of coax throughout the attic. I don't know anything about wireless but let me know if that is an viable idea. Otherwise is there some kind of a wifi to wireless or maybe I get a wifi to IR but then I am defeating the purpose of the device.

Well if you made it this far besides the problem with the range which is certainly environmental in my house I can't get the remote to repeat STOP. I can press STOP UP Arrow STOP and it will work but I can't press STOP STOP in a row without some other key in the middle. Any ideas here?

Thanks,

Neil

oooh - metal studs. I hate those. When I was peddling wireless LAN, we had trouble with them depending on how far apart they were spaced.

While I'm not allowed to recommend messing with the antenna (under FCC rules), I will point out that the antenna connection inside the Xtender is a standard mini-PCI style connector used in laptops and companies like Maxrad have some really cool high gain antennas that would plug right in. Maybe I'll do a little research over the weekend. Antennas with gain do NOT work if you need omnidirectional coverage, but if you want all the energy to go one direction, they really buy a lot of range.

Let me do a little more research.

DF
post #101 of 321 Old 07-11-2009, 02:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

*__________
|
|
|
|
|@
--------|
|
-----------
X

Thanks,

Neil

Heffneil,

I suspect you already tried this, but did you experiment with different places to put the repeater? In my home I noticed a performance difference depending on where it was placed.

At first I tried it in the center of the house more directly between my Master bedroom and the Xtender that was completely in the opposite corner of the house. It did not work well for whatever reason. Then I moved it to the third floor almost directly and 2 floors above the Xtender, then I have a long open hall that runs the whole length of the house so there is minimal obstruction between the master BR and the repeater. This is working perfectly. My Xtender sits sandwiched in a rack full of equipment, which is not Ideal for RF. I also employ another RF repeater in the room to relay signals for my lighting controller and this is also on 900MHz, but it still works.

DLB
post #102 of 321 Old 07-11-2009, 02:35 PM

Hey, do you have an AC outlet in the attic? You could put the repeater up there and maybe avoid some of the metal in the walls???
post #103 of 321 Old 07-11-2009, 03:52 PM

I was thinking about throwing it up there. I think I am going to move the Xtender up in the rack.

I have a WIFI device in the rack as well but I can't imagine that would interfere. I have major issues with cell phone coverage in this house too. It is just a bear when it comes to signal.

Tomorrow I will probably experiment some more. I suspect putting the repeater up in the attic might not help the first floor which I haven't even tested at this point.

Neil
post #104 of 321 Old 07-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Can the Xtender blind a device? My IR receiver on my SageTV box isn't working anymore now. I hooked up the cable box and it works ok. I moved the Xtender up and I could move my repeater about 12 feet down the hall. I am about 8 feet from where I need this thing to work reliably. I will try up in the attic although I really hate putting an electronic device like that up there...

Thanks!

Neil
post #105 of 321 Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 PM

I think I am in the same boat as many here in that I have been searching for a solution to distribute both HD and SD sources throughout my house. I went through the same realization as others that even though I have multiple TVs in the house, there would never be more than about 3 at one time that would need to be watching different programming. So it didn't make sense to get additional Tivos or cable STBs to accommodate every TV.

Currently I have a TivoHD, a S2 Tivo, and a 5 disc DVD player. I've been searching on and off for the past couple months on a solution to share these throughout the house, but all I could find were solutions with a matrix, and/or solutions which required running MUCH more cable than is currently being run through the house.

The house is new, but I didn't have the ability to dictate the cables that were laid down during construction. Thus I have homerun RG6 all converging to the basement utility room, and some sort of mixed loop/homerun structure with cat5e.

Just yesterday I stumbled upon the ZVBox and ZVPro, and thought I had found the exact solution I was looking for. The 150 model looked promising, except that it only goes up to 720p, not 1080. Then there was the Pro 250 model, which did everything I wanted, but was getting a bit unreasonable in the $2200-$2500 price range. So I was not in a rush to get either of these right away.

Lo and behold, my latest search brought up this thread, and the more I read, the more excited I get and want to get this system and try it out! I have to say, from all the posts so far, this seems like an incredible product which can do so much more than the alternatives out there, but without a giant price tag.

I did have one question, currently i subscribe to comcast digital cable which goes into my TivoHD with a cable card for the family room TV, and also feeds into a Comcast STB which has IR blasters coming from the S2 Tivo. The third source would be the DVD Player. I was also thinking of hooking up an attic antenna to act as a 4th source which would contain the local OTA HD channels. This antenna would output onto coax that I would run down to the basement using the coax from a nearby bedroom which does not have a TV in it. My question is that once that signal is down there, I will have the OTA channels on 1 coax, and the Comcast digital cable coming in on another coax. Which of these is the better/best one to act as the "base" signal that the Xtender would modulate its channels onto?

This is my first post here, and from everything I've read, the community is very experienced and knowledgeable. I suspect I will be hanging around for quite a while.

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.
post #106 of 321 Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 PM

djsinc,

Welcome to AVSForums!!! There is a wealth of knowledge on these forums. I have learned a lot here over the years. I lurked for about 3 years reading and learning before finally registereing and making my first post.

One advantage of using cable as your base signal is that you have basic cable available on all of your TVs in addition to the modulated sources!

Another advantage is that the signals on the cable will be relatively constant and not cause interference to your modulated channels. Who knows what your antenna will pick up.

If you use cable as the base, you need one of those converter boxes with a composite video output and an IR remote control to get the OTA channels modulated into the system. I haven't tried this myself because all of these channels are available on cable.

The advantage of OTA as a base if you have HDTV's throughout your house is that you can pick up the OTA HD signals on these TVs. However, many cable companies, including mine, broadcast the major networks in HD along with the basic cable anyway so its not an advantage for me and might not be for you either.

My vote is cable as the base and OTA only as a last resort backup option for when the cable goes out, which hasn't been very often for me in recent years.

OH, and just to make it clear, this system is only SD right know, but the Composite output from the HDTivo is very good, even on my 52" LCD, but not HD. I think the Xtender captures 480 lines for 720x480 widescreen and 640x480 4x3, but not 100% sure on the actual video capture specs. It works very well though!

Good Luck!
Dave
post #107 of 321 Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 PM

Thanks David, I did some experimenting and it doesn't appear that I get my HD channels from comcast if I hook up directly to the TV. I just see the standard channels. In any case, I definitely see the advantages of using my cable signal as the base, the main one being there would be many more channels available to all the TVs in the house. I suppose it comes down to the "buffet vs the filet", do I want many channels available on the base signal or do I want just a few but at higher quality.

I'm in the position where I actually only have 1 SD television in the house, and 2 HD, so as we slowly furnish the house, any additional TVs I buy will be HD. Also, I will most likely be upgrading the DVD player to a blu-ray at some point, which means I would actually have 2 HD sources and most of the TVs in the house would be able to display an HD signal. This may drive me to upgrade the S2 Tivo to a TivoHD, which would result in 3 HD sources.

I'm curious if the add-on, modular structure for HD support will be the only way to achieve HD distribution with BOCS, or if there will also be an integrated solution available within the next 6-9 months.
post #108 of 321 Old 07-14-2009, 08:14 PM

What is the dB loss of the super combiner? I am thinking of reconfiguring my wiring and I am just curious.

Thanks!

Neil
post #109 of 321 Old 07-19-2009, 08:47 AM

Is there any loss with the supercombiner? Anyway I got the unit working really well in two of the rooms very close to the Xtender. I realized that 3 sources is going to get filled up REAL quick. I have some basic questions like how can you lock a source to one tv and how you know that one is in use. Also is there a diagram of someone using two of these together and their functionality?

Thanks,

Neil
post #110 of 321 Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 PM

I have a problem with the Extender Remote with two S2 tivo series, I can only get the tivo with the remote control switch set to 1, the other tivo which uses the same remote with switch set to 2 can not be programmed

I have two S2 Tivos next to each other one goes to extender red port and the other to the green port, using the extender remote I can program the red tivo using the code 17123 and everything works fine, now the green tivo will not get any of the programmable codes, I have tried the scan option and no code seems to work.
These two tivos are controlled from the same tivo remote by just using the tivo's remote switch 1 or 2 all work fine
post #111 of 321 Old 07-24-2009, 11:23 PM

Jose,

This is a valid concern and would suprise me if there isn't a code that works.

Remember that Tivo's don't respond well to Power ON/OFF commands. If I remember the Quick Start Guide or manual mentions this and recommends trying other buttons for each code you enter to see if you find something that works. This will take longer, but should be worth it.

If you still can't find a solution, I recommend calling BOCs at (303) 442-6700 and asking for support.

Good Luck!
Dave
post #112 of 321 Old 07-26-2009, 06:39 PM

This looks to be the simple system to solve the A/V distribution at my house which it only has RG6 going to all the rooms.

Does anyone knows if it supports more than 3 sources simultanously?
post #113 of 321 Old 07-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonL View Post

This looks to be the simple system to solve the A/V distribution at my house which it only has RG6 going to all the rooms.

Does anyone knows if it supports more than 3 sources simultanously?

Wilson,

You can support 3 sources with 1 Xtender.

Yes, you can add a second Xtender to support up to 6 sources. This is the maximum number of inputs in the current system.

A second Xtender requires a few additional low cost components and could require some compromises depending on your setup.

There is some information floating around and I am planning to post a review of my 6 Source setup in the next couple weeks.

Regards,
Dave
post #114 of 321 Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 PM

Thanks Dave!

Another question-
I just realized , i have DirecTV boxes in all the rooms, so what do i need to do?
I have a single 3 LNB - oval dish that has 4 lines down, and splitted into 8 zones , so what do i have to do to use this system?
post #115 of 321 Old 07-28-2009, 12:37 PM

Wilson,

I don't have directTV, but recommend first downloading the instruction manual from the product website. I think the URL is www.myxtender.com. I found the manual in the support section along with a lot of other helpful information.

Regards,
Dave
post #116 of 321 Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Monthly request for an update on HD. Anything, anything at all...

Loving this thing more and more each day.
post #117 of 321 Old 08-27-2009, 02:44 PM

I would like to get an answer on the DirecTV thing. I just installed with a SWM splitter and I want to know if I can use the super combiner with it to inject the channels. Also I was wondering if you could use 2 supercombiners with one Extender? I have comcast and DirecTV and would like to be able to watch those sources with either.

On another note I got my camera DVR with the standard RCA video out plugged in to the Extender and it works great. I can watch the kids from the bathroom TV every morning.

Neil
post #118 of 321 Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:

I would like to get an answer on the DirecTV thing. I just installed with a SWM splitter and I want to know if I can use the super combiner with it to inject the channels. Also I was wondering if you could use 2 supercombiners with one Extender? I have comcast and DirecTV and would like to be able to watch those sources with either.

On another note I got my camera DVR with the standard RCA video out plugged in to the Extender and it works great. I can watch the kids from the bathroom TV every morning.

Neil

First, I'd like to apologize as I've not been on AVS in a while - I've been putting up a new website and redoing the whole way we do customer support. I sincerely apologize if I've left any of my friends here in the lurch - I'm adding an "AVS scan" to my routine.

VERY cool on the camera DVR - I did that once at a bar and the owner loved it. Turns out that there were a lot of bikers that frequented the place and they really liked being able to keep an eye on their bikes out in the parking lot - I hooked it up so they could bring it up picture in picture while they caught the Food network (I kid you not - bunch of burly guys watching Bobby Flay...

But I digress...

2 supercombiners with one Xtender and how does it work with SWM from DirecTV.

Let me start with SWM - YES absolutely. But it really needs to be a SWM-8 as that particular switch has an off-air input. You would plug the Xtender ANT-in right into the off-air port (with a DC block just for safety) and then wire the rest of the home as shown in this diagram from weaknees.com http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/SWM-with-diplexer.html
Actually that is how I wired my home with cable and satellite - I use the supercombiner to insert the Xtender signal into the Cable lineup then hooked the RF-out from the supercombiner into the SWM-8 switch. Everything now goes to every TV. Using the diplexers, if you turn a satellite box off then the cable and xtender channels come through.

Give me a little more detail on your setup and I'd be happy to work up a wiring diagram for you...

The other half of that question is whether you can use two Supercombiners with one Xtender - no - the supercombiner is powered from the Xtender and there is not enough juice to power two - plus any way hooking it up would likely result in strange reflections. But if you use the method above, you only need one anyway. Make sense?
post #119 of 321 Old 09-08-2009, 01:44 PM

Howdy all -
Nothing terribly new on the HD front I'm afraid, Still planing on first half of next year but there is still a lot of work to do so we are not ready to announce a date yet.

In the meantime, I received a couple great questions by email that I'd like to share to set a few things straight on our HD plan, what you can do "in the meantime" etc.

I hope this helps -

QUESTION TO ME VIA EMAIL
"> David,
>
> I've been looking at the ZeeVee systems and then found the AVS Forum
> and your BOSC Xtender. I'm very impressed with your system. What makes
> it most compelling are two items. One, I want to distribute component
> vice computer video throughout //my house (I know the ZVPro will do it
> for $2300.00 which is way out of my price range). And two, you have
> provided more customer service in this one forum for BOSC than ZeeVee
> has in all web forums and their website combined. I, like many,
> respect good customer service.
>
> You made this statement "but basically the current SD system acts as a
> "Base system" and then you add as many HD modules as you need for your
> current setup." on the Avsforum. If it [HD compatibility] is just an
> add-on, would it be safe to purchase the SD version now? I don't mind
> jumping in, but would be real disappointed if I made the $400.00 SD
> purchase now and found out I had bought a dinosaur in a few months.
>
> Thanks, - [Anonymous emailer - I'll insert his name if he gives me permission]

> Thanks for the email and the kind words on customer service - I've
> been trying to set a new standard without being pushy... tough balance.
>
> As for our system and upgradeability to HD.
> Our plan remains consistent that the HD will be an upgrade, meaning
> the HD modulator is a stand alone device that will not function
> properly without today's SD system as the base. Turns out that the
> modulators are the lowest price piece, so even if someone buys an SD
> system and adds three HD modules, it is still cheaper due to volume
> considerations to leave the modulators in there (the NTSC ones).
>
> Timing is the biggest issue - we have planned on releasing the HD
> upgrade module by first half of 2010 but at this time I just flat
> can't guarantee the timing. I have one up and running in my home and
> it is really sweet to have my HD cable box available home wide, but
> the prototype I have is a $10,000 unit (long story as it is kludged
> together)... Our plan is to be <<$500 per channel but I just flat don't trust the engineering dates yet.
>
> This will sound bizarre, pointing you to competition, but if you need
> something sooner, ZeeVee has a component input box just releasing for
> about $1000 per channel (still pricey but less than half of their
> pro-box)... I've helped a number of customers integrate a Zeevee box
> with our Xtender (you still need whole home control and they just
> don't provide that.)
>
> Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love for you to buy an SD box
> today - and I'm sure you will love it (pic quality is spectacular when
> installed correctly), but I don't want you to buy it solely on getting
> the HD upgrade in March - we will do our best but I don't want a dis-satisfied customer.
>
> Let me know if you want to play with the BOCS/ZeeVee combo as I'd need
> to get you a BOCS with different firmware.
>
> Thanks
> David Feller

Question:
"What I really need now is to take my analog component outputs... and convert them to a signal that can be viewed on a digital TV and/or analog TVs with OTA converter boxes"

Answer
[DF] That is a problem actually - OTA converter boxes decode/demodulate ATSC only (The standard used for air transmission). Cable companies (as well as both ZeeVee and BOCS) currently use QAM. So a standard OTA converter will not decode these signals. Good news is that a large number of digital TVs sold in the US in the last couple of years also have a QAM tuner built in. Why QAM? It is what is currently available - the chips to do the modulation are the heart of the system, and you can imagine that there are a variety of QAM needs in the cable industry for smaller lower cost transmitters, but since ATSC is air transmission only, those are very large very expensive devices and we are only now creating demand for bringing those components to the consumer market. (Stay tuned - it would be a real shocker to the market if someone came out with an ATSC modulator)

QUESTION:
" My plan was to convert the component output(s) to digital via the BOCS.
The output of the BOCS would go to my TVs and the input of the TVPAL DVR recorder (which is a digital only input). I could then view/record which ever input was selected on the BOSC. The recorded material could then be played back at will using the BOSC selected to the TVPAL DVR recorder input. All TVs would then see what was recorded."

Answer
[DF] I don't fully understand here (a small diagram would be helpful), but I looked up the DTVPAL (I assume this is it http://www.dtvpal.com/) In which case you are in trouble as the specs for this say it receives ATSC only (See the above answer) The dtvpal is ONLY good for recording off-air shows...

Sorry for the length but there is some good stuff in here on QAM vs ATSC

David
post #120 of 321 Old 09-08-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonL View Post

Thanks Dave!

Another question-
I just realized , i have DirecTV boxes in all the rooms, so what do i need to do?
I have a single 3 LNB - oval dish that has 4 lines down, and splitted into 8 zones , so what do i have to do to use this system?

Wilson:
I've tried to put some info on how DirecTV works along with how BOCS integrates up on our Wiki site - www.bocsco.com/support
But there might actually be more up there than you need (or want to learn)...

IF you are using a standard multiswitch (4 lines in 8 out of a single device - usually says Zinwell on it), it is difficult to share the same wires. Long story, but DirecTV uses 250-850Mhz to carry HD signals and each box needs its own cable back to the multiswitch, two if it is a DVR.
So you have two options - and I regularly do both types.
Put all your Sat boxes in one place (usually under your main TV so it can get HD) put the Xtender there, and distribute to the rest of the house exclusivley with BOCS. Usually folks put 2 or 3 DirecTV boxes in that location and get rid of any others you have.

OR - install a SWM-8 multiswitch with off-air input (www.weaknees.com has them in stock) and you can plug the xtender into that directly to distribute to every TV along with proper diplexers. (Special ones are required as the SWM box communicates back up to the switch at 2MHz)

Let me know if you need more specific help.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page