post #91 of 103 Old 02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

On my STB remote I can change the IR address. But that means (does it not) that that remote will only control the STB that has the same address? Now from any room I can select any STB so wound't that mean I would have to keep changing the STB remote address depending on which STB I selected?

You just assign a different STB to a different key on the remote and first press the key that chooses the remote you want to use, then just start controlling it. This is no different than just pressing the AUX1, AUX2, DVD, AUD, TV etc keys.

Quote:

Moreover I don't use any of my "native" remotes - I have URC programmable remotes at all locations. How would I change the IR address sent by the remote for any given piece of equipment? I am guessing that when programming the remote the IR codes provided in the URC IR database are using the default IR address

See above. That's precisely the reason people don't use native remotes. They are just not programmable enough or don't have enough keys.

Quote:

And, as you point out, not all devices have multiple IR addresses so we are back at square one, needing a matrix switch that routes the IR/RS232 commands back to the selected source. With this type of matrix switch, I can program all remotes using the default IR address (if selectable) for all devices and any remote can be used in any location to control any device.

Situations where people have more than one source device of same model number and manufacturer and where the device ID on that source device cannot be changed are extremely rare. Even if they know about such situations, and I am not sure they even do, matrix switch manufacturers have decided not to accomodate this very tiny segment of the market as it would merely increase the cost and complexity of their products with no benefit for the market they are targeting (ie users without this peculiar circumstance).

Also, for your particular problem, if you don't need all STB's to be available to all displays, you could just make sure the IR system was exclusive to a particuliar group of devices that don't conflict by getting another IR set. So, STB1 could be seen anywhere in the house, but STB2 can only be seen it the great room. Also, increasing the storage on your STB could negate your need for another one, but then maybe that is not the issue but the issue is you two or more people want to watch their respective different programs, but control them from anywhere in the house.

Which STB make and model number are you using and how many do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

This post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1121008 is saying that the bundled precision RG59 when used as component video cable won't support 1080P. Is that true? Is it also true that running RG6 (solid copper) will support 1080P?

I had pretty much settled on the RG59 and a component matrix switch instead of HDMI over cat6 but now I'm not so sure. I have a large house and am hoping to get the cabling as future proof as possible.
post #93 of 103 Old 03-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:

OK in Room1 (using the remote) we have chosen to watch STB1 by controlling the matrix switch itself. At the point how does the remote in Room1 only control STB1?

I think you said that all of the IR signals from the various rooms were connected together and driving a set of flashers, one per source device. If that is the case all of the STBs will respond at the same time which, of course, is not what you want.

I must have misunderstood you.

I'm jumping into this whole game a little late, but it sounds to me like you need some type of control system. That could be as simple as a universal remote (we can discuss whether or not this should be called a control system later ) or as complex as an AMX or Crestron solution. Either way, it is the control device which is doing the "controlling", not the switcher. The switcher is simply a dummy device doing what it's told - send this input to this output.
post #94 of 103 Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave12000 View Post

I'm jumping into this whole game a little late, but it sounds to me like you need some type of control system. That could be as simple as a universal remote (we can discuss whether or not this should be called a control system later ) or as complex as an AMX or Crestron solution. Either way, it is the control device which is doing the "controlling", not the switcher. The switcher is simply a dummy device doing what it's told - send this input to this output.

For my part it was all hypothetical. Yes a Creston/AMX type system is one option. I was trying to point out that there are matrix switches out there that will not only route audio/video from a source (say a STB) to the destination but will also route IR from the destination (an IR receiver in the room) back to the selected source, the STB in this case. With this type of matrix switch if you have multiple identical sources you don't need to worry with different IR "IDs" or "addresses" since the source only receives IR from the destination that it is feeding. Some of these switches will also handle RS232 type serial control signals back to the source.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #95 of 103 Old 03-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For my part it was all hypothetical. Yes a Creston/AMX type system is one option. I was trying to point out that there are matrix switches out there that will not only route audio/video from a source (say a STB) to the destination but will also route IR from the destination (an IR receiver in the room) back to the selected source, the STB in this case. With this type of matrix switch if you have multiple identical sources you don't need to worry with different IR "IDs" or "addresses" since the source only receives IR from the destination that it is feeding. Some of these switches will also handle RS232 type serial control signals back to the source.

Can you name a make and model of matrix switch that actually does this? I have no been able to find a single one. I have found ones that will route, via IR control (or RS232, for that matter), the source audio & video from particular input to a particular output or set of outputs, but the IR signals for control of the source devices themselves are directed by first sending a device ID, which all source devices listen to, so if two source devices have the same ID then they both respond.

So I am curious which ones you have found that will do this, as you claim above.
post #96 of 103 Old 03-04-2009, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeck View Post

This post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1121008 is saying that the bundled precision RG59 when used as component video cable won't support 1080P. Is that true?

Try re-reading that thread. Nowhere does it say that precision RG-59 can't support 1080p. What it says is that many devices do not support 1080p over component. That's a manufacturer issue, not a cable issue.
post #97 of 103 Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonibm View Post

Can you name a make and model of matrix switch that actually does this? I have no been able to find a single one. I have found ones that will route, via IR control (or RS232, for that matter), the source audio & video from particular input to a particular output or set of outputs, but the IR signals for control of the source devices themselves are directed by first sending a device ID, which all source devices listen to, so if two source devices have the same ID then they both respond.

So I am curious which ones you have found that will do this, as you claim above.

Check out Audio Authority's AVAtrix. It will route IR only to the source that is selected at a given output.
post #98 of 103 Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonibm View Post

Healthy skepticism, eh?

http://www.smart-e.co.uk/cgi-bin/pro....pl?SNX-16x16+

Why is this so hard to imagine? It seems a reasonable solution to a common problem.

post #99 of 103 Old 03-05-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

www.channelplus.com

They have HD switch box.
post #100 of 103 Old 03-06-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Healthy skepticism, eh?

http://www.smart-e.co.uk/cgi-bin/pro....pl?SNX-16x16+

Why is this so hard to imagine? It seems a reasonable solution to a common problem.

It seems more than a reasonable solution; it seems, at least to me, the ideal solution.

Will they sell and will this work on our side of the pond?
post #101 of 103 Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Man. I read all 4 pages of it but I felt like I was trying to read some foreign language.

One thing I did get out of it was it's not cheap to distribute HD signal. I hope my problem is much simpler.

I just want to be able to distribute my Dish Network channels & DVR recordings to more than just the two TVs (TV1 & TV2). Is there a way to send that signal to all of the TVs in your home?

Also I'm planning to use Sony STR-DA6400ES as my home theater receiver. This unit has 6 hdmi inputs and 2 hdmi outputs. 1 output will be connected to my projector and other output I'm thinking of connecting to 1x2 hdmi splitter to send to couple more TVs via hdmi cables which are about 50' away. Will that work?

Thanks in advance.
post #102 of 103 Old 03-07-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

It seems more than a reasonable solution; it seems, at least to me, the ideal solution.

Will they sell and will this work on our side of the pond?

Yes and Yes. Check to see if Ian Rose is still with them.

post #103 of 103 Old 03-08-2009, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome View Post

Man. I read all 4 pages of it but I felt like I was trying to read some foreign language.

One thing I did get out of it was it's not cheap to distribute HD signal. I hope my problem is much simpler.

I just want to be able to distribute my Dish Network channels & DVR recordings to more than just the two TVs (TV1 & TV2). Is there a way to send that signal to all of the TVs in your home?

Also I'm planning to use Sony STR-DA6400ES as my home theater receiver. This unit has 6 hdmi inputs and 2 hdmi outputs. 1 output will be connected to my projector and other output I'm thinking of connecting to 1x2 hdmi splitter to send to couple more TVs via hdmi cables which are about 50' away. Will that work?

Thanks in advance.

You'll do better if you start your own thread (more responses.)
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page