Distribute HD to multiple rooms - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 103 Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I've been doing a lot of searching and reading here on the forums, but I'm still unclear as to what potential solutions I should be looking into. Some feedback and suggestions would be most appreciated.

I'm in the process of renovating our new (to us) home. I have an under stairs location where I'll be putting multiple DirecTV receivers, DVR, A/V receiver, home theater PC, slingbox, etc.

So far I've pulled 6 quad shield RG6 cables from the satellite dishes to the under stairs (home) location. This will allow multiple dishes, etc. I'm going to have 6 TVs in various rooms in the house. I want to feed HD to each TV, with the ability to switch the source device(s) to the TVs. In other words, from the TV in the exercise room I'd like to be able to select from a menu to view SAT1, SAT2, DVR, PC streaming internet video, Slingbox or whatever else I want to use for a source at that moment.

In some cases, the TV may be close enough to the home location that I could run an HDMI cable to the TV. In other cases, the TV might be 75 feet from the home location.

Currently I am thinking about running one cat5 to each tV to be used for a wired IR extender. I was thinking of also running 3 cat6s to each tv as well. Two of the cat6s could be used for sending the HD, the 3rd cat6 would be a spare for future use. I'm also going to run one quad shield RG6 to each TV. I need to get the wiring right, now, because I've had to cut open my finished, textured, ceilings to be able to pull wire. This home is very large, completely finished and not conducive to pulling wire to some of the rooms. So I have one shot to get the correct wires in place that I may need for many years to come.

First question, does the plan outlined above for wires to each TV sound like the way to go?

Second question, what should I be looking at to handle switching Audio/video sources to each TV in the 6 zones? I need something that will handle multiple input sources (SAT, home theater PC, etc). Should I be looking at a switch that outputs an HDMI to each tv? What about on-screen menu controls to select the video source? Is that built into the switch or does the home theater PC handle the menu?

Sorry if some of these questions seem rather basic. I'll be able to put a lot more time into educating myself on options down the road. Right now I need to make a decision on the switching device and cabling. Everything else can be solved later as long as I have the right infrastructure in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 11-24-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Most of your questions have been answered in detail in various threads. I'm not saying that to chastise you, just saying that you should use a more exhaustive search. Some keywords to search on: Matrix switch, Baluns, mini coax, etc.

In general, you will need:

A) an Audio/Video matrix switch to route HD video and Analog Audio to each TV

B) IR distribution so that each TV location can control your various sources

C) Transmission media to get the signals from your matrix switch to each TV

In general, HDMI distribution is still very problematic. There are matrix switches that WILL switch HDMI, but because of HDCP, often times, source and destination equipment don't share well. You also have distance issues to contend with, issues of pulling the large HDMI connector through walls, etc. For that reason, most still focus on component distribution. With that said, you'll specifically need to purchase:

A) Component Video/ Analog Audio (or digital audio if you plan on having 5.1 in zones) matrix switch. You can buy used ones on ebay (search for Extron 100, Extron 200 or Extron Crosspoint), or you can buy new (Neothings Borrego, Audio Authority AVatrix, Video Storm, etc.)

B/C) IR distribution and Transmission media. You have two choices here. Send the signal in its native format, or convert it to balanced signals and use cat5 cables. There are pros/cons to each:

Native: You'll need 5 Coax cables. Don't use RG6. CHeaper to use RG59 or mini-coax. Just make sure you have 100% copper center (not clad steel), 100% foil, 95% tinned braid. The 5 coax cables will carry the Component signals and L/R analog audio OR digital audio. You will then need a way to distribute IR, so pull a Cat5 cable for that.

Balanced: You'll need two Cat5 cables. Then you'll need component/audio/IR baluns that send Video/audio/IR across the two cat5 cables. You'll have a sender and receiver unit for each zone. The Matrix switch will feed each sender, and there will be a receiver at each TV. If you buy something like the AVatrix unit, the baluns are built into the wallplates which makes for a nice clean install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 103 Old 11-25-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
lurker here

robertmee, your post should be a sticky.

I have printed and bookmarked it.

Incredible, concise starting point.

I'm going to look for all your posts in the entire AVS forum! (Well more recent ones, at least. Not all 3600+ of them ) If you have elaborated more pros and cons, either conceptual or by individual products) on any of these decisions you list, I'll find it.
post #4 of 103 Old 11-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I like B&K and/or Crestron to do my switching, mostly pro stuff though. Think about cat6 for video, and pull 2 of them for HDMI down the road...

Something off topic to be concerned with, heat. Your sat/cable boxes will heat up more than your amps, make sure there is a way to get cool air in and hot air out...
post #5 of 103 Old 11-25-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Your suggestions helped a lot.

I picked up a 1,000 feet of cat 6 tonight.

Robertmee, thanks for the excellent response. "Balanced" is the direction I want to go. I checked out the Avatrix per your suggestion and that certainly looks like the clear ticket. I like the fact that the baluns are built into the wall plates. I'm shooting for a very clean look. No boxes near the TVs. Is Avatrix your personal favorite? What would be your second choice?

Roddy - I'm going to cut two vents into the space for handling the heat. I may need to put a fan or two in there as well. I'll know better once I have a chance to test it out.
post #6 of 103 Old 11-26-2008, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

For the DIYer, I think the AVatrix is the clear leader. Neothings has the new Concord 8x8, but it doesn't distribute IR like the AA unit. I don't know if you saw on AA's site, but in addition to the wall plates, you can also get a box mounted receiver that mounts right onto the back of a flat screen. That way, you could have a standard single gang Cat5 wall plate, instead of the AA wallplate. If/when you decided to sell/move, you could leave the wall plate and turn it into a Network/Phone jack and take your AA receiver with you.

post #7 of 103 Old 11-27-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post

For the DIYer, I think the AVatrix is the clear leader. Neothings has the new Concord 8x8, but it doesn't distribute IR like the AA unit. I don't know if you saw on AA's site, but in addition to the wall plates, you can also get a box mounted receiver that mounts right onto the back of a flat screen. That way, you could have a standard single gang Cat5 wall plate, instead of the AA wallplate. If/when you decided to sell/move, you could leave the wall plate and turn it into a Network/Phone jack and take your AA receiver with you.

yet another gem from robertmee

there are only a handful of posters everybody should sit up and pay attention to

robert is one
post #8 of 103 Old 11-27-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the kudos, but I honestly only have learned from those before me on here. I didn't know composite from component only a few short years ago

post #9 of 103 Old 11-29-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Before you decide to purchase the Avatrix, make sure you do your homework. One of these models (it might be the avatrix, it might be the Neothings) has had a pretty bad reliability record. I honestly don't remember which one, so please take this with a grain of salt. I'm just trying to give fair warning, although the Avatrix might be completely OK.

I do know it is one of the models that has the balans built in. The problem comes at the local end, not the main unit itself. But a bad balan means a non-working solution. So just check to be sure which unit you want to end up with.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #10 of 103 Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 AM

Newbie to the forum here, but the downturn has given me some spare time to do research & participate on such sites. I do sub work for AV dealers so I have a good depth of knowledge to share also.

If you are looking for a decent HD switcher, I just put in an aton piece last week. I had to do some research on aton not knowing who they were, and apparently they are an elan home systems brand.

aton has a product similar to the avatrix, the hdr44. basically a 4x4 matrix switcher that does component video plus analog audio and digital audio. dual cat5's to balun wall plates for less than $1900. Full IR engine, expansion capabililty and then some.

Might be worth a look at.

Bankruptcy is for you and me, billionaires call their congressman and get the rules changed
post #11 of 103 Old 12-28-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakin View Post

Newbie to the forum here, but the downturn has given me some spare time to do research & participate on such sites. I do sub work for AV dealers so I have a good depth of knowledge to share also.

If you are looking for a decent HD switcher, I just put in an aton piece last week. I had to do some research on aton not knowing who they were, and apparently they are an elan home systems brand.

aton has a product similar to the avatrix, the hdr44. basically a 4x4 matrix switcher that does component video plus analog audio and digital audio. dual cat5's to balun wall plates for less than $1900. Full IR engine, expansion capabililty and then some.

Might be worth a look at.

FYI here is the direct link to ATON's site for the HDR44...

http://www.atonhome.com/HDR44.html

Best Regards,

David Acton
Product Marketing Manager
ATON - Technology In Reach
post #12 of 103 Old 12-31-2008, 04:02 AM

May be to little to late on this one but I have done a few houses this way. My experience have been that you MUST keep your product HDMI V 1.3 as much as possible. If you do I have found very few issues. High quality cables and very gradual bends in your HDMI's is a must do. I use Audio Controls HDMI over cat 6 unit. They are nice in that you can power them from either end, they also actually WORK!!!

Unfortunately for now my experience has been that the only HDMI matrix swither that works is still very expensive. Crestron has a unit in the works now that will bring costs down significantly. Q1 of 09 I have been told.

If you can pull more cat 6 to a location I would but 3 will get you by once you get the matrix swither. You need 2 cat 6 wires to get the HDMI down. I have done runs so far to a max of 150 feet. Now this is 150 feet from DVD player in room to processing in basement then 150 feet back up to the display.

Hope all this helps some one out.

Jon
post #13 of 103 Old 01-01-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post

May be to little to late on this one but I have done a few houses this way. My experience have been that you MUST keep your product HDMI V 1.3 as much as possible. If you do I have found very few issues. High quality cables and very gradual bends in your HDMI's is a must do. I use Audio Controls HDMI over cat 6 unit. They are nice in that you can power them from either end, they also actually WORK!!!

Unfortunately for now my experience has been that the only HDMI matrix swither that works is still very expensive. Crestron has a unit in the works now that will bring costs down significantly. Q1 of 09 I have been told.

If you can pull more cat 6 to a location I would but 3 will get you by once you get the matrix swither. You need 2 cat 6 wires to get the HDMI down. I have done runs so far to a max of 150 feet. Now this is 150 feet from DVD player in room to processing in basement then 150 feet back up to the display.

Hope all this helps some one out.

Jon

What HDMI matrix switcher are you referring to, please?
post #14 of 103 Old 01-01-2009, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that its not too late. I'm sorry that I've not posted sooner to thank you. I've been reading all of the excellent replies and checking into some of the equipment you suggested.

I haven't had time to do any more cabling, but now that the Holidays are over I plan to get back to the cabling soon.

Last weekend I picked up an LCD projector for my home theater room.

In figuring out this multi-room distribution, it has been really helpful to hear what you all are doing. The ATON looks nice, but appears to only switch 2 sources. For the price I was hoping to be able to switch at least 4 sources without having to buy another box and daisy-chain them.
post #15 of 103 Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I think your strategy of running multiple cat5e/6 wires is definitely wise. However, you will have to use baluns to distribute your a/v signals over the cat5e/6 wires. They work fine, but are expensive.

If you know you are going to use the runs right away, then I would recommend looking into the precision coaxial cable. The wire is fairly expensive, but it is designed for line level a/v distribution (signals like component, digital and analog sound, etc). It is also cheaper than buying lots of baluns.

So I would recommend a precision mini coaxial cable (like the Coleman 99401) and run 5 wires to each TV location. This would allow you to run component video and analog (or digital) stereo sound.

I've been able to buy a 1000' box of the Coleman 99401 precision mini coax for about $225 locally. Considering that is the cost of about 2-3 baluns, it is probably cheaper.

I'd still run the cat5e/6 for future use. Perhaps HDMI will become the distribution method of choice. However, currently component video distribution is more popular and cheaper to boot.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #16 of 103 Old 01-01-2009, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post

Most of your questions have been answered in detail in various threads. I'm not saying that to chastise you, just saying that you should use a more exhaustive search. Some keywords to search on: Matrix switch, Baluns, mini coax, etc.

In general, you will need:

A) an Audio/Video matrix switch to route HD video and Analog Audio to each TV

B) IR distribution so that each TV location can control your various sources

C) Transmission media to get the signals from your matrix switch to each TV

In general, HDMI distribution is still very problematic. There are matrix switches that WILL switch HDMI, but because of HDCP, often times, source and destination equipment don't share well. You also have distance issues to contend with, issues of pulling the large HDMI connector through walls, etc. For that reason, most still focus on component distribution. With that said, you'll specifically need to purchase:

A) Component Video/ Analog Audio (or digital audio if you plan on having 5.1 in zones) matrix switch. You can buy used ones on ebay (search for Extron 100, Extron 200 or Extron Crosspoint), or you can buy new (Neothings Borrego, Audio Authority AVatrix, Video Storm, etc.)

B/C) IR distribution and Transmission media. You have two choices here. Send the signal in its native format, or convert it to balanced signals and use cat5 cables. There are pros/cons to each:

Native: You'll need 5 Coax cables. Don't use RG6. CHeaper to use RG59 or mini-coax. Just make sure you have 100% copper center (not clad steel), 100% foil, 95% tinned braid. The 5 coax cables will carry the Component signals and L/R analog audio OR digital audio. You will then need a way to distribute IR, so pull a Cat5 cable for that.

Balanced: You'll need two Cat5 cables. Then you'll need component/audio/IR baluns that send Video/audio/IR across the two cat5 cables. You'll have a sender and receiver unit for each zone. The Matrix switch will feed each sender, and there will be a receiver at each TV. If you buy something like the AVatrix unit, the baluns are built into the wallplates which makes for a nice clean install.

Funny. I came back to this thread and re-read this post. I have read a lot of your posts lately, Robert.

I'm have a subfloor opened for the next couple of weeks, and I've been trying to figure out what wires/cables to run: coax, minicoax, cat5e/cat6 and how many of them for a modest AV distribution system of somewhere between 4 and 8 sources to 3 HDTV locations and maybe another 3 audio only locations.

I was going to ask you which of the methods: native or balanced you recommend. But I realize that they are so very different in terms of cost and additional DIY involvement that your answer would be: "It depends."

Lower cost, like your setup with Extron 100/200, CELabs Rx/Tx baluns over cat5e, controlled by CQC probably costs less than half of what an AvaTrix box alone costs. But it involves a huge commitment of time to get everything working together just right. So total cost is less $$ but much more time.

AvaTrix is more of a turnkey product, costing much more $$$ but much less time.

So, it depends. I have to decide whether to spend more $$ or more time.

Have I got this about right?

A question for you or anybody, off topic. When talking about 'digital audio' in these distribution threads, I realize that means that the ability to distribute 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, but does this include the newer, high-end audio codecs also?
post #17 of 103 Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

So, it depends. I have to decide whether to spend more $$ or more time.

Have I got this about right?

A question for you or anybody, off topic. When talking about 'digital audio' in these distribution threads, I realize that means that the ability to distribute 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, but does this include the newer, high-end audio codecs also?

You pretty much hit the nail on the proverbial head.....And, when I build again in a few years, I would look hard myself at the AVatrix unit. I would still use CQC to control the switching, but it is a much cleaner install than having a bunch of baluns laying about. On the otherhand, if one balun goes to sh$$, then I'm only out one zone. If the AVatrix PS goes to sh$$, then noone's watching anything. Something to consider.

As for your digital question, I personally don't distribute digital as I have just the one 7.1 zone in the HT, but I would imagine if the codec is encoded on a digital signal capable of transversing digital coax, then it shouldn't be a problem. But that's an educated guess.

post #18 of 103 Old 01-06-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:

What HDMI matrix switcher are you referring to, please?

http://auroramultimedia.com/?section=products&id=51

That is one of them. They make a number of different units. They are NOT cheap but they work. For me and my customers that is the most important thing. IMO cheap equipment yeild poor results. If you want to distribute digital video then you have to go big or forget it and stay analog. There will be future problems with analog however as they will start to choke down the video outputs of devices that are not hooked up with digital. Crestron has a unit coming out that will be less costly but of course then you have to get involved with their control systems. Aurora is more of a DIY product.

Jon
post #19 of 103 Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is one of them. They make a number of different units. They are NOT cheap but they work. For me and my customers that is the most important thing. IMO cheap equipment yeild poor results. If you want to distribute digital video then you have to go big or forget it and stay analog. There will be future problems with analog however as they will start to choke down the video outputs of devices that are not hooked up with digital. Crestron has a unit coming out that will be less costly but of course then you have to get involved with their control systems. Aurora is more of a DIY product.

Jon

Thanks. I'll look at that product in more detail. You're right, it isn't cheap.

Seems like everybody says HDMI distribution has too many prolems and just isn't here yet, but you seem to be saying otherwise. More than that actually as you have apparently installed these with good results.

What are the cable distance limits with this unit in your experience?

And where are you located?
post #20 of 103 Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 AM

I am also in the process of a remodel, and wiring the house for HD distribution much like the OP. The cabling options are at best confusing and popular opinions changing every year it seems. I want to keep my options flexible, so I choose to run conduit to all my distribution points. This way, regardless of what option I choose to go with, I have the capability to add/change as the market/tech changes. That being said, I am still tossing around cabling choices for 1080P distribution. As others have noted, component distribution is probably the cheapest way to go, but for 1080P support? I happen to have 2000 feet of RG6 which I was planning on using for component distribution, but I would hate to pull all that cable and not get 1080P if the signal supports it. HDMI cable distribution would seem to be the best way to go, but how far can you go reliably before signal degradation occurs, especially around high voltage? Most of my pulls are under 60ft to the central closet.
post #21 of 103 Old 01-07-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I'll look at that product in more detail. You're right, it isn't cheap.

Seems like everybody says HDMI distribution has too many prolems and just isn't here yet, but you seem to be saying otherwise. More than that actually as you have apparently installed these with good results.

What are the cable distance limits with this unit in your experience?

And where are you located?

I have heard the horror stories, I have had them myself. 1.3 seems to be a big help. I have had very good results when keeping all products 1.3.

I will give you an example of a recent system. I used a Crestron AMS for the customers receiver. This unit has the HDMI switching on board. I came out of the Denon Blue Ray player and sent the HDMI out to a Audio Control Balun. From the audio control balun I went cat 6 to the basment almost 150 feet away (length of wire). I then came back out fo the Audio Control balun and HDMI into the Crestron AMS. From the Crestron AMS back up to the plasma in the same maner. So I basically went 300 feet over the cat 6. I also had local TIVO and Kaleidescape units in the basement. The only problem that I have in this system and it is minor is that I have to turn off the DVD player if I swap sources away from it. I think it is an issue with the HDCP on the Denon but since that is not an issue to the customer I have not spent any time trying to figure it out.

I am extreamly carefull about my terminations and wire runs. No tight bends on the Cat 6's OR HDMI's. All bends have to be gradual. The Audio Controls have a clamp in them to help hold in the HDMI. As of late I have been very happy with the results. I can not waite for Crestron's HDMI matrix switcher it looks like it is going to be very cool.

Jon
post #22 of 103 Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post

I am also in the process of a remodel, and wiring the house for HD distribution much like the OP. The cabling options are at best confusing and popular opinions changing every year it seems. I want to keep my options flexible, so I choose to run conduit to all my distribution points. This way, regardless of what option I choose to go with, I have the capability to add/change as the market/tech changes. That being said, I am still tossing around cabling choices for 1080P distribution. As others have noted, component distribution is probably the cheapest way to go, but for 1080P support? I happen to have 2000 feet of RG6 which I was planning on using for component distribution, but I would hate to pull all that cable and not get 1080P if the signal supports it. HDMI cable distribution would seem to be the best way to go, but how far can you go reliably before signal degradation occurs, especially around high voltage? Most of my pulls are under 60ft to the central closet.

The same rules apply with HDMI vs. analog. Try not to parralell high voltage and cross at 90 degrees when possible. IMO pull 4 cat 6 runs to any tv location and you should be good to go no matter how you go (anal. or digital).
post #23 of 103 Old 01-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:

I have heard the horror stories, I have had them myself. 1.3 seems to be a big help. I have had very good results when keeping all products 1.3.

I will give you an example of a recent system. I used a Crestron AMS for the customers receiver. This unit has the HDMI switching on board. I came out of the Denon Blue Ray player and sent the HDMI out to a Audio Control Balun. From the audio control balun I went cat 6 to the basment almost 150 feet away (length of wire). I then came back out fo the Audio Control balun and HDMI into the Crestron AMS. From the Crestron AMS back up to the plasma in the same maner. So I basically went 300 feet over the cat 6. I also had local TIVO and Kaleidescape units in the basement. The only problem that I have in this system and it is minor is that I have to turn off the DVD player if I swap sources away from it. I think it is an issue with the HDCP on the Denon but since that is not an issue to the customer I have not spent any time trying to figure it out.

I am extreamly carefull about my terminations and wire runs. No tight bends on the Cat 6's OR HDMI's. All bends have to be gradual. The Audio Controls have a clamp in them to help hold in the HDMI. As of late I have been very happy with the results. I can not waite for Crestron's HDMI matrix switcher it looks like it is going to be very cool.

Jon

Jon

Looks like you have a good handle on Crestron and video.
I recently had an Adagio AES w Sirius installed, wired in a rack in the basement, and feeds to several rooms with Apads, a TPS4L, 2 TPMC4Xgs and 2 ML600s. Rack has a DTV recvr, Sony DVP CX777ES, Ipod dock. I planned to do it in stages to space out the financial part. Next is video. Currently DTV is modulated to all rooms by coax (low res, but not bad pq as all are plasmas or lcds. I know the limitations here.). Do you know the MSRP on the new Crestron HDMI Matrix Switcher? I was about to go with a component distribution amp like Calrad or C Labs and mini rgb coax.
post #24 of 103 Old 01-07-2009, 05:38 PM

Don't quote me on this but what they have told me is we are looking at about the same price as the PVID 8X3 and 8X4 depending on options. It looks like it will be a card cage kind of a set up so you can add as you need. Sorry I do not have any more info on it. I just checked the web site and the only thing that they show for future product and pricing is the 8X2 unit.

Jon
post #25 of 103 Old 01-08-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't quote me on this but what they have told me is we are looking at about the same price as the PVID 8X3 and 8X4 depending on options. It looks like it will be a card cage kind of a set up so you can add as you need. Sorry I do not have any more info on it. I just checked the web site and the only thing that they show for future product and pricing is the 8X2 unit.

Jon

Thank you for your posts, Jon.

Again, where are you located?

Also, AFAIK quoting MSRP in the forums is allowed. Even 'ballpark' would be helpful. I looked on Crestron's website and it is daunting, to say the least. I can't seem to find the PVID 8x2 unit or it's MSRP.
post #26 of 103 Old 01-08-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The same rules apply with HDMI vs. analog. Try not to parralell high voltage and cross at 90 degrees when possible. IMO pull 4 cat 6 runs to any tv location and you should be good to go no matter how you go (anal. or digital).

Ah! HDMI over cat6 baluns.

I'm looking at a retrofit situation, so getting gradual turns and 90 degree crossings with electrical wiring can be very difficult. I wonder if there is something like a twisted pair solution to the 90 degree issue.
post #27 of 103 Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your posts, Jon.

Again, where are you located?

Also, AFAIK quoting MSRP in the forums is allowed. Even 'ballpark' would be helpful. I looked on Crestron's website and it is daunting, to say the least. I can't seem to find the PVID 8x2 unit or it's MSRP.

I am out of Gloucester, MA. North of Boston.

The 8X2 unit is looking to be in the 3K range. Will not be available until after June is my GUESS. http://www.crestron.com/products/sho...model=hd-md8x2
post #28 of 103 Old 01-08-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Ah! HDMI over cat6 baluns.

I'm looking at a retrofit situation, so getting gradual turns and 90 degree crossings with electrical wiring can be very difficult. I wonder if there is something like a twisted pair solution to the 90 degree issue.

Pull high quality cat 6 and don't worry about it. Just be as carefull with the cables as you can. Don't pull hard on them or drag them around corners if possible. Cat 6 is a twisted pair. If you are really worried about it get sheilded cat 6 and drain off the sheild.
post #29 of 103 Old 01-09-2009, 10:43 AM

Is there a way to Trigger the HDR from a Russsound CAV? The CAV can only switch composite video, so maybe use the HDR to send HD signals when requested by the CAV?
post #30 of 103 Old 01-09-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jon

Would I be correct in thinking that the additional control systems and custom installation costs involved with Crestron would narrow the gap considerably between the Crestron and Aurora units? I'm assuming you are referring to the 8x8 (DM-MD8X8) or 16x16 digital media switches.

Considering your MSRP estimate for the Crestron 8x2, and considering your post that the MSRP of the "Crestron unit" will be more like their 8x3 or 8x4 units, and assuming the 8x3 or 8x4 would be significantly more than $3000 MSRP of the 8x2, I'm not even sure why you said you thought the Crestron unit will be less costly than the Aurora. Also, it seems that they would charge a lot more for an 8x8 than a 8x4.

I'm not trying to challenge your knowledge or information. Just feel the need to ask more about things. Your posts are most helpful and appreciated.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page