Whole House Audio trips the receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I just moved into a new house that is pre-wired for whole house audio. All I now is that there are 4 Russound volume controls connected to 4 sets of speakers. I have one set of speaker wires which I have connected directly to my Front (A) channel on my old Denon 3805. However, the system seems to randomly trip the amp and it just shuts down. Sometimes the system will run for hours other times just a few minutes. I have no reason to believe that there is a problem with the denon. Any ideas?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm new to this area of home audio.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

The receiver does not like the load. Depending on the VCs and how they are wired you may be able to make it work or not, but more info is needed. Some VCs are designed to directly match impedance in a system like this, some not. They may be wired incorrectly or simply not designed for this kind of application without some impedance matching or current limiting device inserted.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #3 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I wish that I knew enough to give you more info...here are some pics of the VC's
LL
LL
LL
post #4 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
google the #'s on the VC's

it looks like recent construction (within the last 6 years), they look fairly new, and they're made in China

Probably impedance-matching

On most IMVC's you set some tiny switches to tell the VC how many speakers are being driven by that amp.

Find the instruction manual for those VC's, or email/call Russound.

Also, make sure the Denon is well-ventilated (amp may be overheating, and may not be the VC's).

What do you mean by 'a set of speaker wires'? A single pair? Each pair of speakers should have 4 wires, and all 4 connect to the amp. That's a total of 16 speaker wires connected to your amp. How did you connect them to the 'fronts' outputs of the AVR?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...I only have 4 individual wires going into the receiver. Just a positive and negative for a left and right channel.

All of my speakers work and I can control each set through the VC in that room. Does that make sense?
post #6 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

They are likely wired in parallel, though some of the wiring might be botched or reversed in polarity. Staples through wires or polarity problems can cause issues like this. More likely that the impedance matching was not set properly or you are driving the amp too hard. Where do you have the volume on the amp?

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #7 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The instruction manual is here:
http://www.russound.com/altx2.htm

According to the manual and your picture, the VCs are set properly at 4X (for four sets of speakers in parallel). I would look at adequate ventillation as your possible problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 04:34 PM

Here are some standard issues with single source systems:

1. Check tht you are tapped at 4X on all volumes (provided you are connecting all 4 sets to the amp)

2. Check that your input/output wiring on the volume is correct and not reversed

3. Check that you aren't phasing speakers with reverse polarity

4. Ensure that you aren't ramping your master volume on the amp too high
( this will send amp into protect)

Good Luck

P.S.

Most amps needs to see an 8 ohm load ( higher end amps are also 4 ohm stable) so if you have only one set of speakers attached you need to tap it's volume at 1X . Ohm's law states that for every set of speakers you add to the system, the impedance is reduced by 1/2.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all, it seems that everything is installed correctly.
I guess that I'll look for better ventilation options. My receiver is behind a wooden cabinet door, part of the built-in entertainment center. It is vented, so I didn't expect any issues.

I do have the non-amplified Sonos unit in the same cabinet, it puts off some heat so that may be part of the problem.

I'll start searching for some small fans for this purpose. Can you recommend any?
post #10 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Where do you have the volume set on the receiver?

post #11 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Speaker wires may connect to a 'connecting block'. How far can you track the 2 pairs of speaker wire, attached to the AVR? There is a chance it's an IM connecting block, if there is one.

Robertmee said that IMVC in the pic was set correctly, at 4x. What about the other 3?

Any labels on the 4 speaker wires visible?

Any chance the AVR was previously set to 'bi-amp', before it was re-purposed? Anyone know what problem this would cause? I'm guessing the isolated fronts may be at 4 ohms, if this was the case, thus the AVR settings should be changed. Denons can be somewhat tricky to figure out (3808 owner here, and still learning after a year).

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #12 of 13 Old 01-31-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

Where do you have the volume set on the receiver?

I've been all over the place, from low to high...my best results seem to be when the volume is set at 0 db
post #13 of 13 Old 02-01-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Some receivers do not like the load presented by multiple controls like this. Have you verified that the wiring is correct at all junctions and that there are no shorts?

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page