1 HD Satellite box to multiple TVs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm finally taking the plunge and upgrading to HD Dish. I've got the HD TV's already which have HDMI inputs but they receive the TV signal right now through coaxial inputs from the old Dish boxes which are in the basement. I have each Dish box going to 2 TVs. I would like to connect the new boxes in the same manner. They will be connected to the TV's with HDMI cables and I will probably move the box to a location closer to one of the 2 TVs. The question I have is will I be able to split the output from the new box to feed video to 2 TVs? I'd like to be able to have the 2 sets on at the same time, obviously they will be tuned to the same channel, but simultaneous viewing would be nice.
Along with the splitting, what would be maximum cable length be to transmit HD television channels? I would hopefully be able to put the boxes in a central enough location that I won't exceed 50ft spans per box, but will that work? And even better, is it possible to use the 100ft HDMI cables on monoprice with Dish boxes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

In theory you can use a 1X2 splitter such as this http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 to go to your two TV's. In practice, some have had problems with the HDMI handshake when doing this. The only way to know if you have a problem with your setup is to try it.

50' can be a difficult length for HDMI and 100' even more.

Blue Jeans Cable sells Beldom bonded pair cable which is purported to go those lengths reliabily (it's not cheap but cheaper than Monster).

Monoprice sells cable at long lengths with a built-in powered booster which also may work. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

But no guarantee in any case, unfortunately. Be sure you try it all temporarily before you run the wires permanently.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #3 of 5 Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

For further discussion of long HDMI cable runs see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1112190.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #4 of 5 Old 02-04-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
You're probably better off running HDMI to the closest TV and a component bundle to the distant set (assuming your box will output HDMI and component at the same time). It would be cheaper than getting the HDMI splitter and long runs over component are more tolerable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #5 of 5 Old 02-04-2009, 12:42 PM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I would run component to both TV's - I would argue the difference between component and HDMI is so negligible. You could still run HDMI to the closer TV, but why not just get two satellite boxes and hook them up to a component matrix switcher, so you could watch either box on either TV? I have a shinybow 4x2 and I'm a huge fan of it. I still have one receiver hooked up via HDMI, but again, switching between that and the component feed through the switcher doesn't provide a noticable difference. Of course you'll need to run audio cable for the component feeds.

tjk
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page