Wired Network Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently purchased a Denon 3808ci. I've never bothered with a home network before as I don't use laptops or any wireless devices. But now I'd like to set one up to enable a net connection for the Denon (as well as my BD player and TV) - mainly for firmware updates but Internet radio and access to music/images on my computer sounds like it would be a treat.

I've got access to two LinkSys WRT54GL wireless routers as well as 50 ft of CAT5E cable, several shorter lengths of cable (3 ft, 6 ft). I've read about flashing these particular routers with Tomato firmware, configuring one as a bridge and working it that way, but I'm wondering if it would be better to spend another $20 bucks for a regular switch (I'm looking at the LinkSys EZXS55W - sorry, just discovered that I'm not allowed to post the URL as this is my first post on this forum and the forum rules do not allow URLs until three posts have been made).

It would be a bit more of a task (drilling through a couple walls, running cable, etc.) but I think I'd feel more comfortable flashing firmware on a pricey unit like the Denon if I had a wired connection (apparently Denon recommends this as well). Will a wired connection (50 ft) from one of the wireless routers mentioned above to a switch do the trick for all three devices, and then I can simply disable wireless on the router since I won't be using that?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes. I would not want to trust a wireless connection for updating the firmware of your devices. Better safe than sorry.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
Old 02-17-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Cat5e for 100 Mbit and GigE is good for 100 meters or about 300 ft. And I agree that it would be better to have your devices connected to a switch. Wireless should only be used for convenience purposes and not for any connection sensitive type transactions. Also wired is always more secure and faster than wireless....not to mention more reliable.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely going wired and the run will only be about 50 feet.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
You don't need to buy a switch. The WRT54G is a wireless access point, router, and a switch.

modem--->Linksys router--->3808

linksys firmware will work fine, no need for Tomato

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 02-17-2009, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

You don't need to buy a switch. The WRT54G is a wireless access point, router, and a switch.

modem--->Linksys router--->3808

linksys firmware will work fine, no need for Tomato

But I'm connecting 3 devices - the 3808, a Blu-ray player and my TV. The LinkSys router will be in my office where my computer and cable modem are. The hookup will be modem to router, router to computer. Then the 50 ft cable from router out into the living room where the entertainment center is located to the switch. I need the switch to be able to hook up three more short runs of cable, one to the TV, one to the Blu-ray player and one to the Denon 3808. Isn't this correct? Or am I really thinking wrong here?

I'm not planning on using Tomato now...that was for when I was considering going wireless with two routers, one in the office and one at the entertainment center, with the one at the entertainment center configured as a client bridge. From what I've read, the LinkSys cannot be configured as a bridge with the native firmware and requires Tomato or DD-WRT. However, this is moot now since I'm going the wired route.

Please let me know if my wired plan (first paragraph above) is okay. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well you could use the 2nd LinkSys unit you have as a switch but I don't know how good a switch it is. It probably would do, no harm it trying it out.

Just ignore the WAN connection and use the LAN connections it has. I think it has 3 or 4, maybe 5.

And I think you can disable the wireless access point capability as well, not sure though.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, I see what you're saying. I've already ordered the switch (just $15 bucks) so will go with that. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I bought a cheap switch myself for my AV cabinet, same as you. Should work fine.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone