HDMI Splitter Stops working with new cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought an HDMI splitter on ebay that has worked for several months. It looks exactly like this http://www.firefold.com/1X2-HDMI-Splitter-P430C492.aspx except it doesn't say "FireFold" on top. It says nothing. There was no brand on the packaging. It used to work flawlessly. Now it seemingly doesn't work at all.

The set-up is a little confusing, so let me draw a picture.

The blue lines are all 6ft HDMI cables, the green line is an HDMI->DVI cable, and the red line is the 25ft/30ft cable upstairs.

Okay, so I had a 25ft cable that was maybe 1ft too short. Someone was turning the TV to get to the other plugs and the connector broke. I ordered a 30 ft cable to replace. I bought both cables through Amazon. After wiring it all up, it doesn't work like it did before. If I bypass the splitter and use a coupler and plug the Xbox Cable (4) into the long cable (2), it works. If I plug (4) and (3) together or (4) and (1) together it works. Any combination of source and display works as long as the splitter is not involved.

Has anyone had trouble with one of these? There's no apparent way to reset it other than disconnecting the power, which I have done. Is there an order I should plug things in and turn them on? It doesn't work with only one of the two outs plugged in and I'm not sure if it's supposed to. Can anyone who has one of these confirm whether it will work with only one output plugged it?

I used my voltmeter to make sure the power supply was giving 5 volts (it was). Both of the red lights come on to signify that there is something going on. Both lights are on when the power's not plugged in too, which was weird I thought. The Xbox resets any time I plug anything into the splitter, telling me it's re-handshaking. I've switched (2) and (3) on the splitter just for laughs. Nothing.

Could it really be the cable? Is a 1.3a anything to be worried about? I don't know what the other cable was supposed to be.

This all worked before and is very frustrating. If I have to buy another $40 splitter, I will... but I want some assurance that that will fix my problem.

I will carry the LCD to the basement tonight and try the splitter again with only 6' cables. Wish me luck.

Thanks!

30 ft HDMI 1.3a Certified Cable 24k Gold HDTV 30ft
Sold by: CE Compass
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MRKHRW
(The link now says 25ft, but I did get a 30ft)

25ft HDMI to HDMI Cable Premium Gold Series HDMI Certified
Sold by: Abacus24-7
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EPRG6W

Splitter on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110332111229
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Moved the TV to the basement and I still get no signal on either display. The lights go red at the right time, the Xbox reboots when I make a new connection... something good is definitely going on... yet it's so broken.

Since the connector came off the 25ft cable, maybe some pins shorted out.

Any thoughts?
post #3 of 4 Old 02-24-2009, 09:35 PM

Liked: 10
Is the splitter active or passive? (powered or un-powered). If active, then you definitely could have shorted something out, given the results of your testing.

Best is what you perceive it to be, not what others tell you it is.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-2009, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess power is optional. I've always had it plugged in.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page