Distributing DirecTV to old sets - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-07-2009, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older DirecTV receiver from which I send signal to 2 older TVs in distant parts of the house via good old coax cable. New receivers do not have coax output. I can use X10 wireless sender and receiver, but would like to continue to use the cables. Is there any way to send AV (R,W,Y) over coax? I have seen a component video to coax converter cable. Wonder if that would work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-07-2009, 08:37 PM

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103095
post #3 of 19 Old 03-08-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks sv650s! Sounds like the perfect solution. I have the RF modulator on order.
post #4 of 19 Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 AM

I have a question regarding this set-up. This gets the direct tv signal to the older tv's. Now, lets say you replace one of the older tv's with a new one which does not have F connector input. How would you connect the new tv to receive the direct tv signal over the coax cable?
post #5 of 19 Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Now, lets say you replace one of the older tv's with a new one which does not have F connector input.

A TV without a tuner is not a TV, it's a monitor. You'd need a demodulator to feed it.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-10-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by is14fun View Post

I have a question regarding this set-up. This gets the direct tv signal to the older tv's. Now, lets say you replace one of the older tv's with a new one which does not have F connector input. How would you connect the new tv to receive the direct tv signal over the coax cable?

New TVs do have a coax input but its for digital over-the-air signals.

If you want to transmit HD from the DirecTV box over coax, you would need a converter of which there are few available. One I know of is from Gefen http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5303 which is rather pricey at $799.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #7 of 19 Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 AM

what is a demodulator, how much do they cost and where do you buy them? Would not a HDTV act as a monitor when put on chn 3 or 4?
post #8 of 19 Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:

what is a demodulator

the thing that tunes and decodes modulated video.

Quote:

how much do they cost and where do you buy them?

They come built into TV's, VCR's, PVR's, DVR's, tv tuner cards etc....
post #9 of 19 Old 03-10-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 278
For TV's that don't have an RF (coax) input (no internal tuner/receiver), you need an external "tuner/receiver" (DirecTV, cable box, CECB, VCR, etc). You can then connect the tuner/receiver to the "monitor" using composite, S-video, component, DVI, HDMI, VGA, RGB depending on the interfaces and requirements for resolution.

Based on the minimal info provided in post #4, the easiet answer is rent/buy a DirecTV tuner/receiver and connect to the "monitor" using the cable methods suggested above.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you have a HD dish, another approach would be to get a single wire multiswitch (SWM) for your D* setup. It has coax outputs for both HD (one; hence 'single wire') and "Legacy" (two of these).

If you have mixed SD and HD you can run both, and if you upgrade any SD to HD later you would switch from the Legacy output to the HD output. I believe many (maybe most or even all by now) new HD setups have the SWM built into the dish, but you can buy stand alone SWM. The SWM-8 can supply up to 8 HD tuners through the single wire.

I think they cost ~150-200.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I use THIS modulator to send the signal from 2 Directv HD DVR's and a DVD player to 7 other television sets via coax. It, of course, only sends SD, but 5 of the TV's are SD anyway, so it doesn't matter.
For the front projector in the HT, I have the modulator connected to a VCR first and then the VCR connected to the projector.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #12 of 19 Old 03-14-2009, 07:18 AM

So let me see if I got this right. Right now I have a DirectTVHD receiver sending signals to a HDTV via component cables. I have another HDTV (small 15") in another room. This room has a coax rg6 cable wired to my HDTV reciver location. To view programing on both TV's I would connectd an FM modulator to my HDTV Directtv reciever via HDMI or Composite or Component cables and the other end directly to the HDTV coax input on the TV. With this set up I could watch the same program on both TV's. I understand I won't get HDTV on the monitor (15" tv) but I would still get the program. Do I have this right?
post #13 of 19 Old 03-14-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:

I would connectd an FM modulator to my HDTV Directtv reciever via HDMI or Composite or Component cables

You'd connect the AM RF modulator to the composite output.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-14-2009, 10:18 PM

When you say AM RF modulator, is that the one you can get at Radio Shack? From what I have described, a DirectTV receiver connected to a AM RF Modulator connected to RG6 coax which is connected to HDTV input on a TV will work. Is there any other way to connect the coax to the TV via component or composit cables?
post #15 of 19 Old 03-15-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by is14fun View Post

When you say AM RF modulator, is that the one you can get at Radio Shack? From what I have described, a DirectTV receiver connected to a AM RF Modulator connected to RG6 coax which is connected to HDTV input on a TV will work. Is there any other way to connect the coax to the TV via component or composit cables?

Yes, the Radio Shack Modulator is an AM Video, FM audio, RF modulator. It modulates both video and audio unto one coax output. But it's only for std def signals, not HD. Most HD TVs can pick up std def signals.

Component, which can be std def or HD requires 3 wires for the video and 1 (digital) or 2 (analog) wires for audio.

Composite, which is only std def, requires 1 wire for video and 1 (digital) or 2 (analog) wires for audio.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #16 of 19 Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 AM

One last quesstion regarding this remote TV location. The RF modulator will send a SD signal via coax cable. Is there a simple way to convert this signal into a component or composit cable?
post #17 of 19 Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Is there a simple way to convert this signal into a component or composit cable?

A tv tuner will "convert" it to composite. Converting the composite video to component is pointless.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-17-2009, 10:23 AM

I guss I did not make myself clear on this. If the TV doesn't have a coax cable input but only composite and/or component inputs, is there a way to connect the coax feed to this TV?
post #19 of 19 Old 03-17-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
If the TV doesn't have a coax cable input .....is there a way to connect the coax feed to this TV?

No.

But, if you demodulate the RF signal to composite video and analog audio, using a TV tuner, such as the one found in a VCR, then you can feed composite video and audio to the TV.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page