Need some Russound 6.6m help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a house about a year ago that is 15 years old. It was equipped with a Niles Audio system on the first floor. The second floor and the basement were not wired for audio, which I am in the process of upgrading.

I just purchased two of the Russound CAM6.6 systems. In one of the zones I need to drive 4 speakers. In another zone I would like to drive 6 speakers. The reason for this is I am using all twelve zones, but one of the zones in the basement is about 1000 sqare foot and two speakers is not going to be adequate. The four speaker zone is for the Master bedroom/bath area. The speakers are already wired and in place for the Niles system but I would like to combine the two zones into one but continue to hear all 4 speakers.

Is their a way to have multiple speakers (3+) on a single zone? Ideally I won't have to purchase another CAM6.6 amp/controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 AM

The CAM provides variable line out for zones 1 and 2. Use this to drive an external amp(s) for areas where you need more speakers. You can get away with driving 4 speakers per zone, but that is not really supported (I do this with my CAV in one zone).

Here are some low-cost options for external amps:

HTD MA-1235
Channel Vision CV-A1260

If you need/want to drive more power in a certain area, you can go with different options, such as the AudioSource AMP series.

I have the HTD and an older HK 12 channel amp. Both work fine for what I need. There are other options out there, just make sure you use one that supports auto power on (powers on only when a signal is detected).

Tom

Best is what you perceive it to be, not what others tell you it is.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-10-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1127678
Similar question

As far as driving additional speakers in each zone, you could also use any old receiver for its amplification abilities, though it will always be on unless you use a trigger to turn it on and off (I think Russound CAM can do this).

To use any old cheap used receiver as an amp:
Un-amplified line level signal from Russound -> receiver CD-in -> 4/6 speakers

Amplified speaker level signal from Russound -> Xantech SLLC1 (speaker level to line level converter) -> receiver CD-in -> 4/6 speakers

I'm unsure as to the location of the keypad(s) with these setups.

It's not a perfect solution - you have to have the space for the additional AVR's, and ideally you'd have them triggered on and off.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 6 Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Try running the 4 and 6 speakers, connected in parallel, before buying additional amps - you may be able to drive all of them with the Russound. The watts will drop considerably, but that may still be enough, if for background music (particularly for the MBR/Ba).

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 6 Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Try running the 4 and 6 speakers, connected in parallel, before buying additional amps - you may be able to drive all of them with the Russound. The watts will drop considerably, but that may still be enough, if for background music (particularly for the MBR/Ba).

I would be careful running more than 4 speakers in parallel. 4 - 8 ohm speakers (2 per channel) would result in a 4 ohm load at the CAM, which SHOULD be OK. Any more than that would drop the load presented to the CAM below what may be a safe point. You could run the risk of damaging your CAM/amp. This is typically due to the amount of load the power supply in the amp is designed to handle.

Tom

Best is what you perceive it to be, not what others tell you it is.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice from everyone. I will try to run the 4 master bed/bath with the russound. The basement zone I will try and use the receiver that was hooked up to the old niles audio system.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page