How are you streaming h.264 and 5.1 from your WHS? Feel like I've tried it all. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2009, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have only macs in my house (Windows 7 boot camped on one of them used rarely to admin the WHS).

I have an Xbox and a PS3 eagerly awaiting to play my movie collection, but I can't find a good solution for storing the files on the WHS and streaming to the TV/stereo. I want h.264 video and 5.1 audio (does it have to be AC3? - I'm not positive).

I tried Tversity on the WHS installed through remote desktop, but never got it running well. I read that installing WM11 on the server might work, but haven't found out how to do that or any good confirmation on if it's worth it.

I've spent weeks trying every codec under the sun it seems. Just yesterday with power pack 2, I was able to stream h.264 (yeah!) but I can only get audio when using AAC. I'm not going to waste my time migrating my collection for Stereo/ProLogic.

I'm willing to buy new hardware if necessary, I just would like to hear if anyone has been able to do this (h.264 and AC3 streamed from a WHS to their TV&stereo) without incorporating a PC running Media Center (I refuse to waste that much electricity to watch a movie).

Kind thanks for any responses. Especially if you keep it a little dumbed down for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 11:42 AM

For hardware. Google "Popcorn Hour". I've had one for over a year and it handles every format. I play h.264 AAC and h.264 AC3 nightly (captured from a Happauge 1212).

For software with WHS, you might look want to look at NFS as the popcorn hour does work better over NFS than SMB for HD formats (which studder over SMB some times).

=alanjudy
Old 03-25-2009, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjudy View Post

For hardware. Google "Popcorn Hour". I've had one for over a year and it handles every format. I play h.264 AAC and h.264 AC3 nightly (captured from a Happauge 1212).

For software with WHS, you might look want to look at NFS as the popcorn hour does work better over NFS than SMB for HD formats (which studder over SMB some times).

=alanjudy

Thanks! That popcorn hour looks like it'd do the trick. I may as well set up a 3rd media extender, why not? If it'll be the one that does things right.

I would plan on ripping my DVDs using handbrake to h.264/AC3 in m4v format. That appears to be supported from their website. Does the popcorn hour just plug into your router? Any trouble directing it to the media share on your WHS?

Does the Hauppage record directly to the WHS? That looks nice too.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin king View Post

Thanks! ... I would plan on ripping my DVDs using handbrake to h.264/AC3 in m4v format. That appears to be supported from their website.

I've played .ts, .m2ts and .m4v formats with h.264/AC3 content
Quote:

Does the popcorn hour just plug into your router?

Yes. I use a wired "Cat5" connection for HD playback. I put a 4 port switch in my home theather rack and hook the tivo, the popcorn hour and the DirectTV DVR to it.
Quote:

Any trouble directing it to the media share on your WHS?

To be honest, I don't have WHS, just a plain (non Media server) windows box. But I did search this forum to make sure NFS on WHS was supported before responding to your post. On my vanilla windows system, there is absolutely no problems.
Quote:

Does the Hauppage record directly to the WHS? That looks nice too.

I don't think so, but I don't know. I have the HD DVR and vanilla windows system in the back room, use the component outputs to capture the HD content (Quality is excellent) and then play back on the big screen TV in the family room via the Popcorn Hour. It works great. There are tools to edit out commercials, if you want, but fast forwarding via the Popcorn hour is quick and takes less time.

=alanjudy
Old 03-26-2009, 02:57 PM

I use a TVIX M-6500A which plays DVDs in iso file which works great and allows all dvd functions to work. I don't know if it supports the audio capabilities you're looking for but it does have didital outs and HDMI 1.3. You can usually get it off eBay at a better price and the video quality is very good since it uses a multi-format Sigma Design chip.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjudy View Post

I've played .ts, .m2ts and .m4v formats with h.264/AC3 content

Yes. I use a wired "Cat5" connection for HD playback. I put a 4 port switch in my home theather rack and hook the tivo, the popcorn hour and the DirectTV DVR to it.

To be honest, I don't have WHS, just a plain (non Media server) windows box. But I did search this forum to make sure NFS on WHS was supported before responding to your post. On my vanilla windows system, there is absolutely no problems.

I don't think so, but I don't know. I have the HD DVR and vanilla windows system in the back room, use the component outputs to capture the HD content (Quality is excellent) and then play back on the big screen TV in the family room via the Popcorn Hour. It works great. There are tools to edit out commercials, if you want, but fast forwarding via the Popcorn hour is quick and takes less time.

=alanjudy

Can you explain your setup some more? I think I'm getting that you have, from your DirecTV DVR for example, component output into the Hauppauge HD PVR which sends via USB 2.0 to your vanilla Windows PC. You apparently don't use the PC's video or audio outputs for anything, but instead send digital output (through your switch and over your network) via cat5e to Popcorn Hour which plays on your TV via HDMI.

Is this accurate?

How do you control it all?
What about HDCP? (regarding component-to-HDMI conversion)
Popcorn Hour can handle all the high end digital audio, BUT does the Hauppauge pass these along? Maybe this doesn't matter with the example I chose (DirecTV box) since the high end audio is not going to be there.