Best option to convert exising RG6 run to HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-29-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been searching and reading posts for the last hour to figure out the best solution for my problem. I am sure this has been discussed here many times in the past but I couldn't find anything specific to my issue.

I have a friend who has a plasma wall-mounted TV that he spent a bunch of money on a few years ago to have built into a picture frame mount in his wall. It uses an articulating mount so rear access is no problem. However, the only video feed he has is a single RG6 cable in the wall running from his cable box which is remote mounted in a cabitnet. Because of this he has been watching SD video on his expensive plasma. He has asked me to help him and I want to confirm the best option to solve the problem.

He bought his plasma several years ago and it only has component video, no HDMI. As I understand it, he will need to either pull 2 cat5 cables from from the cable box or pull 5 RG6 cables. While it is likely 2 cat5 cables could be pulled using the old RG6, pulling 5 new RG6 cables might be a problem if the existing holes for the cable feed are be large enough.

So, would using 2 cat5 cables with component baluns be best or are there other options I have missed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-29-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Quote:

As I understand it, he will need to either pull 2 cat5 cables from from the cable box or pull 5 RG6 cables.

Five RG-6 for component video, which only uses three cables?

Since video signals only require a 75-ohm cable, three RG-59 would do the job. It's thinner than RG-6 so it might better fit your physical limitations. If not, try a bundled multi cable like Canare V3-3C. You'd have to get a professional to come out and crimp on the RCA ends, though, or buy the tools to do it yourself.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
post #3 of 8 Old 03-29-2009, 02:57 PM

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5303

He can buy this expensive piece to go with his expensive plasma. Not out yet but will help out with tough situations like yours.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-29-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew300 View Post

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5303

He can buy this expensive piece to go with his expensive plasma. Not out yet but will help out with tough situations like yours.

If I'm reading it right, it uses HDMI on both ends. His TV doesn't have HDMI.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
post #5 of 8 Old 03-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post

Five RG-6 for component video, which only uses three cables?

I assume the extra two are for stereo audio.

If you can use digital audio, you can send that with component video over one cat5 cable. If you need analog audio, then two cat5 cables would be needed.

Edit: I hadn't seen this before, but it looks like this unit does component plus analog audio over a single cat5 cable.

--Eric
post #6 of 8 Old 04-02-2009, 05:01 PM

I too have searched for something similar.. I bought 4 new lcd panels for my daughters rooms... I'd love to find a cheap way to pass the programming from my theater (specifically Apple TV {HDMI)and a Mac Mini {DVI}hooked to a 4TB pseudo SAN) rack to each of these TV's over coax..
Hard to justify 4 new Apple TV's.. and the LCD's with just coax get most cable channels and some HD channels already.
ATSC Modulators are of course out of the question. You'd think I could push content from a central rack onto the coax network and let the LCD's decode it and publish on an open channel... and 480i would be fine for Barney and Little Einstein videos.. ;-)

Any input is appreciated.

Greg Miles
post #7 of 8 Old 04-02-2009, 06:31 PM

I use the Rapidrun system and they work great. You buy the cable which comes with the metal caps (including pull loop) and then you buy the ends that you need which just screw on. They are just 5 mini coax inside. They are nice because if you want to switch to SPDIF instead of analog audio you just buy a new end.

http://www.amazon.com/25-Rapidrun-CL.../dp/B000F6MOLC

I have two of these and the picture quality is flawless.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-02-2009, 06:37 PM

How to convert MOD is a hot topic for many JVC/Panasonic/Canon digital camcorder users. Generally speaking, to convert MOD file,
we need a Convert MOD - Aiseesoft MOD Video Converter which can convert MOD video files perfectly and quickly.
Have this MOD Converter, you can convert MOD video files to all popular format files like AVI, MPG, WMV, MOV, FLV, Mp4 and so on.
Besides MOD file, you also can convert TOD, TS, MPEG, MPG, MPV, MP4, VOB file to all popular format with this MOD Converter.
Moreover, this MOD Converter also provides powerful edit functions, you can freely cut your MOD, join MOD before you convert TOD to other format.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page