post #331 of 1218 Old 01-09-2010, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbyun View Post

This seems plausible, but I'm still skeptical. I don't think bandwidth is the issue. I'm pretty sure the bottleneck is the fast ethernet switch on the back of the actiontec since theoretical throughput of moca is 270mbs and even with overhead would be well over the 100mbs limit.

You could test that theory by leaving you setup the same but running an ethernet cord between your two actiontecs...

xnappo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1218 Old 01-09-2010, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis4U2NV View Post

I would leave the firmware alone if I were you.. I have read many threads where people bricked their routers upgrading the firmware on these Actiontecs.. I don't even think they add/fix any functionality when your just using them as MoCA bridges so I wouldn't chance anything.. I'm running 3 Actiontecs that have 3 different firmware and they run as I would expect them too..

Regarding you particular issue, do you have a solid green light or a flashing on the coax LED? If its flashing, you have issues in your coax wiring which its telling you your not running at the optimum speed.. If its solid green, its connected optimally and your problem lies somewhere else, possibly the switch the main MoCA is connected to..

I've read that enabling the port configuration to FULL DUPLEX helps, but I found that it could also hinder depending whats going on with other MoCA devices in your network.. I have mine set to AUTO and it runs perfectly fine for me.. I have also turned off the firewall in all my MoCA routers since they are connected behind a switch with a bigger NAT table..

I would switch out the MoCA device at the switch with another one and run the tests on each MoCA bridge in your network.. If your still getting similar results, I would bet my money that the problem is at your switch.. I start by swapping out the patch cable your using and then checking the settings in your switch..

The Coax LAN LED is lit solid green on all bridges.

I thought it might be the main switch too, so I pulled two of the bridges and connected them directly together with a coax.. then hooked up two laptops via Ethernet ports (set back to Auto) on each bridge and re-ran the iperf.. this time I got ~10-20 Mbit/sec.. again, much lower than I was hoping. If the theorhetical thoroughput on MOCA 1.0 should be up to 270 Mbit/sec, I should be getting at least or around 100 Mbit/sec, no?

I should note that when I hooked up both laptops to one bridge and ran the iperfs, I was getting ~50-60 Mbit/sec, so it was a little better.

It's like the coax ports themselves are the culprit as when the traffic transverses it, the thoroughput drops.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any configurable options for the Coax settings other than frequency, MTU and DM.. is there something else I should be checking?

Thanks.
post #333 of 1218 Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadw01 View Post

I thought it might be the main switch too, so I pulled two of the bridges and connected them directly together with a coax.. then hooked up two laptops via Ethernet ports (set back to Auto) on each bridge and re-ran the iperf.. this time I got ~10-20 Mbit/sec.. again, much lower than I was hoping. If the theorhetical thoroughput on MOCA 1.0 should be up to 270 Mbit/sec, I should be getting at least or around 100 Mbit/sec, no?

I should note that when I hooked up both laptops to one bridge and ran the iperfs, I was getting ~50-60 Mbit/sec, so it was a little better.

It's like the coax ports themselves are the culprit as when the traffic transverses it, the thoroughput drops.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any configurable options for the Coax settings other than frequency, MTU and DM.. is there something else I should be checking?

Thanks.

Frankly I would reset your MoCA routers to factory defaults and start over. The default router config with the instructions at the beginning of this thread are accurate and don't need to be tweaked. Also, the highest possible rate will be 100Mbits/s with these routers.

First, iperf is very complicated and if you don't use it properly, your results will not accurately indicate the available bandwidth. With default iperf settings and both hosts connected to the built in router switch you should get over 90 Mbits/s. If you do not, then your hosts are not configured properly.

With two hosts on two different MI424WRs, and default iperf settings, I get only 12 Mbits/s between the hosts. This is similar to your results. With client iperf TCP/IP window settings upped to 100 KBytes, then I get 64 Mbits/sec. My network has 4 MI424WRs and 4 set top boxes using MoCA. So I'm maxed out on MoCA.

In the end, iperf results are pretty irrelevant. What is important is whether the applications you are using on your network can reach their max bandwidth. What are you using your network for and what rates do you need for those applications?
post #334 of 1218 Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadw01 View Post

Thanks.

I'm having a similar problem. I connected my two Actiontec's (Rev A) with a coax cable and reset them both and set them up again exactly to the spec's of the original post. I'm still limited to 10mbit doing laptop -> actiontec (Rev A)-> coax -> actiontec (Rev A) -> laptop. One of the Actiontec's bottlenecks at 10mbit the other at 30mbit. I'm testing using FTP transfers of files. I'm either maxing at 1.1meg/sec using one actiontec or 2.8meg/sec using the other to my main FIOS actiontec (Rev C). I can switch locations with the two routers in my house and get the same rates per the specific router.

I then attempted to put both laptops on one router (Rev A) and test traffic that way. The 10mbit router gave me 1.1meg/sec and the 30mbit router (Rev A) gave me 90mbit (9.8meg/sec). So somehow the coax is boned on one router and the actual ethernet switch on the other is boned. I assume if I buy 2 new ones I may get legit 100mbit speeds. I did happen to buy these two used from random people, one off ebay and the other off craigslist locally. I assume they had bad experiences or fried something or somehow messed up the actiontec's and pawned them off on me.

Let's see how it turns out with abcliquidators. 60 bucks for 2 routers isn't that bad (including shipping), but now I'm doubling my cost!
post #335 of 1218 Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 PM

Ok, I have some findings to share. I'm not sure what they exactly mean or what's causing it, but I'll share and see what the experts can glean. I had been streaming HD Mkv's and was getting repeatable stutter on certain bandwidth heavy scenes, like pixie dust trails, flowing water droplets and such on Disney's movie Tinker Bell and the lost treasure. Anyways, I was watching the network monitor on my windows 7 box (fileserver) streaming to a WDTV and these particular scenes saw spikes up to 60%+ when negotiated at 100mbs full duplex. Here's the kicker. When both were connected on a dedicated 100mb switch (netgear) which was then connected to the actiontec bridge, it worked fine. Now when I connected them directly to the actiontec ethernet ports, I got stuttering and the bandwidth heavy scenes never got above 50%. That wasn't even through the Moca connection. It leads me to believe that the bandwidth of the actiontec switch can't support full speed. Can anyone confirm this?
post #336 of 1218 Old 01-13-2010, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting last couple of posts. Have you guys tried going to 'Advanced' -> 'Port Configuration' and forcing '100 Full Duplex'?

xnappo
post #337 of 1218 Old 01-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Interesting last couple of posts. Have you guys tried going to 'Advanced' -> 'Port Configuration' and forcing '100 Full Duplex'?

xnappo

I had and it didn't change anything for me. I actually went into the router and fidgeted with any single thing that could hopefully affect it but the throughput never changed.

I should get my next pair from abcliquidators on Monday so I'll let you know how that turns out in comparison to these. Wish I had purchased them a day before knowing that the tests would pan out as they did. Now I'm stuck waiting the weekend.
post #338 of 1218 Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Ok, I have some findings to share. I'm not sure what they exactly mean or what's causing it, but I'll share and see what the experts can glean. I had been streaming HD Mkv's and was getting repeatable stutter on certain bandwidth heavy scenes, like pixie dust trails, flowing water droplets and such on Disney's movie Tinker Bell and the lost treasure. Anyways, I was watching the network monitor on my windows 7 box (fileserver) streaming to a WDTV and these particular scenes saw spikes up to 60%+ when negotiated at 100mbs full duplex. Here's the kicker. When both were connected on a dedicated 100mb switch (netgear) which was then connected to the actiontec bridge, it worked fine. Now when I connected them directly to the actiontec ethernet ports, I got stuttering and the bandwidth heavy scenes never got above 50%. That wasn't even through the Moca connection. It leads me to believe that the bandwidth of the actiontec switch can't support full speed. Can anyone confirm this?

Try giving these settings a run:

Go to Network (Home/Office) Properties --> Settings --> Coax --> Actions (Edit)
Raise the CM Ratio to 100 from the default of 20 and work your way down to 0.. Try on one router and then try on both with the same settings..

Also try:

Go to Network (Home/Office) Properties --> Settings
Change Routing from Basic to Advanced and apply..

Since I have no way to test these settings myself for functionality, you assume the risk.. You should be able to connect to the router and restore the original values if they don't work..

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder. ~Alfred Hitchcock
post #339 of 1218 Old 01-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Does anyone know what the CM ratio and the routing -> advanced settings do? I tried googling but I can't find anything. Still looking though.

-- Jim
post #340 of 1218 Old 01-14-2010, 05:52 AM

I'll surely try it since there since I'm full out of ideas, but how would this even affect the bandwidth of the switch itself since it seems to be the limiting factor. If I can't get full 100mbs speed on the switch, then I can't see how it would improve by changing settings that affect the coax transmission. I did try setting to full duplex but it was long ago and with some other setting changes. I will try it again tonight to see the direct impact since I now know what to look for. Should I set the full duplex to both actiontec routers?

Quote:

Raise the CM Ratio to 100 from the default of 20 and work your way down to 0.. Try on one router and then try on both with the same settings..

Also try:

Since I have no way to test these settings myself for functionality, you assume the risk.. You should be able to connect to the router and restore the original values if they don't work..

post #341 of 1218 Old 01-14-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post

Frankly I would reset your MoCA routers to factory defaults and start over. The default router config with the instructions at the beginning of this thread are accurate and don't need to be tweaked. Also, the highest possible rate will be 100Mbits/s with these routers.

First, iperf is very complicated and if you don't use it properly, your results will not accurately indicate the available bandwidth. With default iperf settings and both hosts connected to the built in router switch you should get over 90 Mbits/s. If you do not, then your hosts are not configured properly.

With two hosts on two different MI424WRs, and default iperf settings, I get only 12 Mbits/s between the hosts. This is similar to your results. With client iperf TCP/IP window settings upped to 100 KBytes, then I get 64 Mbits/sec. My network has 4 MI424WRs and 4 set top boxes using MoCA. So I'm maxed out on MoCA.

In the end, iperf results are pretty irrelevant. What is important is whether the applications you are using on your network can reach their max bandwidth. What are you using your network for and what rates do you need for those applications?

Thanks for your reply.

How do you reset the bridge, via the reset button (holding for 10 seconds) or through the web interface? I reset all the bridges using the reset button before configuring them (I could not log in with the default admin and password/password1 combo).

You were dead on with regards to iperf.. I guess using just whatever the defaults when you launch is insufficient, because when I increased the TCP window settings to 100KB like you suggested, I was able to attain 50-60Mb/sec.. so you're right that they are irrelevant unless you know exactly which settings to test it with.

As for what I'm using the MOCA for, it's just the same as most people here.. streaming movies, although I haven't ventured into the HD/BR movies yet.. just DivX and XviD.. most of them seem to stream fine, although on some movies, during high-action sequences, I will notice a 1-2 sec stutter.. I must say that it the connection is obviously a lot more stable now than the Wifi-G I was running prior to this setup, although like everyone here, if I can max out the connection, why wouldn't I..?

Anyways as a FYI, I just tried another test where I hooked up a laptop to two separate bridges and tried transferring approx 4GB of .VOB files via FTP from one machine to another.. I was getting about 8MB/s on the download.

I'll keep tinkering.. thanks for any further insight you or anyone else can provide.
post #342 of 1218 Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

xnappo

I tried this and in my case it didn't make a difference. I found that by putting the ports back to Auto and letting the devices autonegotiate, the connection was a lot better.

Besides, I'd hate to have to manually set all the devices connecting to the MOCA to 100full if I set each of those ports to 100full too.. they are supposed to be exactly the same on both ends, correct?
post #343 of 1218 Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Also try:

Thanks, I will give this a try and report my results..
post #344 of 1218 Old 01-15-2010, 12:59 PM

So far, nothing has helped. Does anyone else's actiontec seem to have a cap on just the switch only. I'm not even trying to use the MOCA portion. Just on the bridge itself, my peak bursts of bandwidth cap out at almost exactly half of what it should be (around 50mbs). Each time there is a bandwidth heavy scene from the mkv I'm streaming that gets above this threshold, there is stutter and the network monitor shows that nothing is getting past the 50mbs mark. I have tried successfully streaming on a netgear 10/100 switch without problems and when I watch the portion where it peaks, I can see the network bursting to about 60mbs for a few seconds. So maybe the stutter we are seeing is from the limited bandwidth of the switch and not so much a result of MOCA being introduced. Just wondering if others can confirm whether they have similar behavior. Indeed, I've tried on 2 separate actiontecs with 2 different firmwares.

I have tried messing with the duplex function on the ports to no avail. I also tried the setting changes on the nic card itself. I have since reverted everything back to defaults. Thoughts?
post #345 of 1218 Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have tried messing with the duplex function on the ports to no avail. I also tried the setting changes on the nic card itself. I have since reverted everything back to defaults. Advice please.

Can you upload a snippet of the movie in question somewhere as well as exactly how you are monitoring the bandwidth? If so I will duplicate with my setup this weekend.

xnappo
post #346 of 1218 Old 01-15-2010, 01:32 PM

great idea! off topic, but what is the best way to cut and edit an mkv file?
post #347 of 1218 Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

So far, nothing has helped. Does anyone else's actiontec seem to have a cap on just the switch only. I'm not even trying to use the MOCA portion. Just on the bridge itself, my peak bursts of bandwidth cap out at almost exactly half of what it should be (around 50mbs).

Short of switching out the cable, I'd have to say that you may have two malfunctioning routers, though that would seem pretty rare from my perspective.. I have 3 ActionTec's and the main one connected to my office router gets and average of 94.9 Mb/s.. Over coaxial, living room is seeing 90.5 Mb/s and my basement is seeing 79.3 Mb/s.. Have you tried using all the ports with the same results?

As a last ditch effort, try adjusting the MTU of the Actiontecs and see if that does anything for your bandwidth.. If that fails as well, and your looking to send those routers to the trash, update the firmware (this may brick your router if it doesn't take well).. I am all out of ideas from there on..

Whats even more ironic is that your not the only one to experience the same type of bandwidth limiting problems you describe, so I wonder if this is a hardware problem with some ActionTec's that are out there..

If your looking to purchase replacements, make sure your seller has a decent return policy as it took 6 shipped ActionTec's to get 3 working ones.. It's not uncommon to get bad apples when purchasing these..

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder. ~Alfred Hitchcock
post #348 of 1218 Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:

As a last ditch effort, try adjusting the MTU of the Actiontecs and see if that does anything for your bandwidth..

How would I go about doing this?
post #349 of 1218 Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

great idea! off topic, but what is the best way to cut and edit an mkv file?

Not really sure... I am guessing VirtualDub could do it?

xnappo
post #350 of 1218 Old 01-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:

How would I go about doing this?

Go to Network (Home/Office) Properties --> Settings --> MTU

Change it from Automatic to Manual.. Start with the 1500 and work your way down in increments of 100..

Definition: The maximum transmission unit (MTU) of a layer of a communications protocol is the size (in bytes) of the largest protocol data unit that it can pass onwards. MTU parameters usually appear in association with a communications interface. The MTU may be fixed by standards (as is the case with Ethernet) or decided at connect time (as is usually the case with point-to-point serial links). A higher MTU brings greater efficiency because each packet carries more user data while protocol overheads, such as headers or underlying per-packet delays remain fixed, and higher efficiency means a slight improvement in bulk protocol throughput. However, large packets can occupy a slow link for some time, causing greater delays to following packets and increasing lag and minimum latency.

This wont have any affect in increasing the bandwidth but may help with your stuttering issues..

post #351 of 1218 Old 01-15-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Change it from Automatic to Manual.. Start with the 1500 and work your way down in increments of 100..

Definition: The maximum transmission unit (MTU) of a layer of a communications protocol is the size (in bytes) of the largest protocol data unit that it can pass onwards. MTU parameters usually appear in association with a communications interface. The MTU may be fixed by standards (as is the case with Ethernet) or decided at connect time (as is usually the case with point-to-point serial links). A higher MTU brings greater efficiency because each packet carries more user data while protocol overheads, such as headers or underlying per-packet delays remain fixed, and higher efficiency means a slight improvement in bulk protocol throughput. However, large packets can occupy a slow link for some time, causing greater delays to following packets and increasing lag and minimum latency.

This wont have any affect in increasing the bandwidth but may help with your stuttering issues..

We are not dealing with "slow" links. If anything, you'd want jumbo frames for a LAN, not smaller ones. I still contend that messing around with any settings other than identified in the first post in this thread is not necessary and is largely snake oil. Problems will be in three categories:

1) Router is bad (very unlikely).
2) host and/or application is configured wrong (very likely)
3) Coax bad (varies)
post #352 of 1218 Old 01-15-2010, 06:50 PM

Ok, I just transferred a file (~5GB) over Moca and watched the network monitor stay straight at 84% (on 100mbs) throughout the entire less-than-10-minute transfer with windows reporting 9.2MB/s average rate. I started streaming that same file and it choked up again in the same scene hitting an invisible wall right around 20%. Man this is frustrating. Why would the bandwidth be handcuffed like that while streaming. I'm seriously considering cutting some holes in the walls tomorrow and running a cat6 line. AARRGGH!!!
post #353 of 1218 Old 01-15-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:

We are not dealing with "slow" links. If anything, you'd want jumbo frames for a LAN, not smaller ones. I still contend that messing around with any settings other than identified in the first post in this thread is not necessary and is largely snake oil. Problems will be in three categories:

3) Coax bad (varies)

1) I tried a different brand Netgear Moca bridge with the same results along with 2 actiontecs. It's improbable that all are bad.

2) My setup is rather simple with PC's serving a couple of WDTV's in different rooms. I tried serving the file from different PC's (I have 3) and got the same exact results across. I guess it could be settings related, but everything is default.

3) Bad Coax is interesting since it works with file transfers perfectly. What aspect of coax could result in selective performance anomalies, meaning what could cause coax cable to exhibit this type of behavior? Isn't it just a medium in which a signal travels? I guess it could be in the transfer of mediums from coax to Ethernet, but that would lead us back to the actiontecs and as we have seen, it works fine for many....
post #354 of 1218 Old 01-16-2010, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
What protocol are you using for file transfers? Which protocol are you using for streaming?

-- Jim
post #355 of 1218 Old 01-16-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:

3) Coax bad (varies)

We could all sit here and scratch our heads and point to possible causes to these problems or we can explore and test all avenues and see if we could gain some type of progress in finding a solution.. Sure, some settings may seem redundant, but there is always the possibility we may find a solution..

biffbyun can transfer a 5GB file at an average transfer rate of 9.2 MB/s with no bottlenecks, but streaming the same file causes stuttering.. When he switches to his Netgear router, he no longer experiences the stuttering.. This leads me to believe that his ActionTecs may be the cause of his problems..

post #356 of 1218 Old 01-16-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallory View Post

What protocol are you using for file transfers? Which protocol are you using for streaming?

I'm assuming in both cases it is just TCP/IP. Using Windows file shares for file transferring and streaming.
post #357 of 1218 Old 01-16-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Ok, I tried this tonight and it actually made things worse. My throughput streaming and file transfer was 12mbs for both whereas as before it was 20mbs and 80mbs respectively. Not sure what that proves.
post #358 of 1218 Old 01-17-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:

Ok, I tried this tonight and it actually made things worse. My throughput streaming and file transfer was 12mbs for both whereas as before it was 20mbs and 80mbs respectively. Not sure what that proves.

Testing to see if smaller packets helped with the streaming problems.. It actually made it worse off, by lowering you bandwidth considerably..

I'm going to try to create a 4GB MKV file and stream it from my end, and see if I get any of the same issues your getting..

post #359 of 1218 Old 01-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Hypnosis, thanks so much for your help troubleshooting. What does your network monitor say when you are streaming as opposed to transferring a file from PC to PC. Maybe I should try a different operating system. All my PC's are windows 7.

Also, for reference, I have been using Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure. At around the 3:45 part of the movie to about 5mins it's bandwidth heavy and stutters every time.
post #360 of 1218 Old 01-19-2010, 01:11 PM

Just an update on my situation. I received the two routers from ABCliquidators. I've only tested one and it worked superbly. I'm able to set these up in under 5 minutes now (probably under a min of actual settings). I also fiddled a bit with one of my old routers (previously 30mbit limit experienced) that was pushing 90mbit now (9.6meg/sec sustained). So all is well and I've got 2 extra routers now, though, one is still limited to 10mbit no matter what I try.

As far as stuttering, I've still experienced some issues with high end 1080p mkv's that I believe are CPU issues (I'm transcoding on the fly with PS3 Media Server) and the HD. I may have to RMA my seagate 7200.11 1.5tb because it has that spin down problem. The CPU is a quadcore, but hadn't been rebooted in a month.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page