1Likes

post #361 of 1223 Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbyun View Post

Hypnosis, thanks so much for your help troubleshooting. What does your network monitor say when you are streaming as opposed to transferring a file from PC to PC. Maybe I should try a different operating system. All my PC's are windows 7.

Also, for reference, I have been using Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure. At around the 3:45 part of the movie to about 5mins it's bandwidth heavy and stutters every time.

I have to look at the network monitor next time I stream the movies, both MPEG2 and H.264.. I used FTP and JPerf to test my file transfer speeds and they both run concurrent..

I have to get a HD video file though to stream..

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder. ~Alfred Hitchcock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1223 Old 01-19-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegitacx View Post

Just an update on my situation. I received the two routers from ABCliquidators. I've only tested one and it worked superbly. I'm able to set these up in under 5 minutes now (probably under a min of actual settings). I also fiddled a bit with one of my old routers (previously 30mbit limit experienced) that was pushing 90mbit now (9.6meg/sec sustained). So all is well and I've got 2 extra routers now, though, one is still limited to 10mbit no matter what I try.

As far as stuttering, I've still experienced some issues with high end 1080p mkv's that I believe are CPU issues (I'm transcoding on the fly with PS3 Media Server) and the HD. I may have to RMA my seagate 7200.11 1.5tb because it has that spin down problem. The CPU is a quadcore, but hadn't been rebooted in a month.

Glad you got yourself straightened out, but do test that 2nd router soon.. I got 3 duds out of 6 from them, though they were very pleasant dealing with getting the exchanges set up..

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder. ~Alfred Hitchcock
post #363 of 1223 Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallory View Post

Does anyone know what the CM ratio and the routing -> advanced settings do? I tried googling but I can't find anything. Still looking though.

As per ActionTec's response:

CM Ratio : Its a setting pre-determined by Verizon for connection to the Optical Network Terminal or ONT for the FIOS service. Its not used for any other types of connection. This is the modem or ONT connection for the WAN port of your router and the setting is programmed so that the ONT can provide the Internet data\\video connection on your FIOS services.

post #364 of 1223 Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:

I'm assuming in both cases it is just TCP/IP. Using Windows file shares for file transferring and streaming.

I don't have a WDTV device, but just a few google searches comes up with lots of people having problems with WDTV at HDTV resolutions when using windows file shares. Pretty much everywhere it seems, WDTV people recommend using NFS instead. I think you should give that a try.

I know its frustrating that it seems to work in a tight LAN situation, and doesn't work across the house, but its likely that windows file sharing just doesn't quite handle nicely the extra latency or slight differences that the actiontec is introducing.
post #365 of 1223 Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 AM

It's definitely true that the WDTV doesn't handle streaming over the network as well as say WMP on the PC, but the behavior I saw seemed to be independent of the player used. There was a distinct bandwidth "shelf" for streaming (20mbs) which doesn't jive with the 85-90mbs I'm seeing transferring large files.

One thing that we have found is that the backplane of the actiontec routers might be a culprit. Even when both devices are connected directly to the switch I get stuttering. So my assumption is that the it has to be something within the actiontec itself that is not handling the streaming well outside of the conversion from coax to ethernet.
post #366 of 1223 Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:

It's definitely true that the WDTV doesn't handle streaming over the network as well as say WMP on the PC, but the behavior I saw seemed to be independent of the player used. There was a distinct bandwidth "shelf" for streaming (20mbs) which doesn't jive with the 85-90mbs I'm seeing transferring large files.

One thing that we have found is that the backplane of the actiontec routers might be a culprit. Even when both devices are connected directly to the switch I get stuttering. So my assumption is that the it has to be something within the actiontec itself that is not handling the streaming well outside of the conversion from coax to ethernet.

You asked for our help. Do the NFS share. Believe.
post #367 of 1223 Old 01-20-2010, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post

What is the best way to do that if sharing from a PC? The Microsoft extension thing? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324089)

xnappo
post #368 of 1223 Old 01-20-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:

You got it my man. I'm downloading windows services for unix as I type this. For anyone that's interested, the download is here.

I'll report back what I find.
post #369 of 1223 Old 01-20-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You got it my man. I'm downloading windows services for unix as I type this. For anyone that's interested, the download is here.

I'll report back what I find.

Waiting anxiously While I don't seem to have this problem - I would rather switch to NFS for other reasons if it works well.

xnappo
post #370 of 1223 Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Waiting anxiously While I don't seem to have this problem - I would rather switch to NFS for other reasons if it works well.

xnappo

This isn't a guaranteed fix. I just wanted to see the results from the streaming using a different protocol. NFS is a pain to setup on Windows.
post #371 of 1223 Old 01-20-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This isn't a guaranteed fix. I just wanted to see the results from the streaming using a different protocol. NFS is a pain to setup on Windows.

Yeah, I use Windows for my file server and Linux most everywhere else (I realize this is totally bass-ackward but I use Playon and therefore need it running Windows) so it would be nice if NFS worked as well or better.

xnappo
post #372 of 1223 Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:

NFS is a pain to setup on Windows.

Your not kidding..

post #373 of 1223 Old 01-21-2010, 07:09 AM

ok, just an update. i was not able to use windows services for unix since it is not supported on 64 bit architecture. I was able to find allegro which is free for the first 30 days. The problem is that the WDTV does not natively support nfs file shares. Looks like I will have to install a modded/hacked firmware to enable this feature. I have not had a chance to do that yet, although I've downloaded the B-RAD firmware. Once I get a chance, I'll report back. I'm starting to doubt if it was worth all the trouble...
post #374 of 1223 Old 01-21-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:

ok, just an update. i was not able to use windows services for unix since it is not supported on 64 bit architecture. I was able to find allegro which is free for the first 30 days. The problem is that the WDTV does not natively support nfs file shares. Looks like I will have to install a modded/hacked firmware to enable this feature. I have not had a chance to do that yet, although I've downloaded the B-RAD firmware. Once I get a chance, I'll report back. I'm starting to doubt if it was worth all the trouble...

I wouldn't bother with installing new firmware for this experiment. I thought you would have already been running 3rd party firmware on WDTV. At some point it just gets easier to run CAT5e...
post #375 of 1223 Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 PM

Those settings for CM Ratio and Routing didn't work for me either. I'm beginning to suspect it's my coax cabling setup..

I run Windows services for UNIX (on XP) and using the NFS share, I'm not seeing any difference in my speeds (~8-15Mbit/s) on 720p x264 mkv's.. still get stuttering on some movies too (i.e. Toy Story 1 and 2).
post #376 of 1223 Old 01-24-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadw01 View Post

Those settings for CM Ratio and Routing didn't work for me either. I'm beginning to suspect it's my coax cabling setup..

I run Windows services for UNIX (on XP) and using the NFS share, I'm not seeing any difference in my speeds (~8-15Mbit/s) on 720p x264 mkv's.. still get stuttering on some movies too (i.e. Toy Story 1 and 2).

It just might be your coax lines.. I would definitely try re-terminating those ends and maybe using different splitters.. Try to get the signal to pass as little amount of coaxial as possible.. If you get daisy chain them using a short run of coaxial for testing and get the same speeds, your Actiontec may be bad..

I was not able to get a 1080p MKV rip to play without stuttering over MoCA on a 90 Mb/s connection, so I believe the ActionTec has a flaw in its hardware design (Revisons A,C,D)..

post #377 of 1223 Old 01-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis4U2NV View Post

It just might be your coax lines.. I would definitely try re-terminating those ends and maybe using different splitters.. Try to get the signal to pass as little amount of coaxial as possible.. If you get daisy chain them using a short run of coaxial for testing and get the same speeds, your Actiontec may be bad..

I was not able to get a 1080p MKV rip to play without stuttering over MoCA on a 90 Mb/s connection, so I believe the ActionTec has a flaw in its hardware design (Revisons A,C,D)..

Well, I tinkered with my coax a little bit with little success. I traced the coax to a drop amp and then removed that amp so the main run goes to a three-way splitter to another 3-way and then to my Actiontecs. No difference in speed.

As I mentioned earlier, I tried daisy-chaining two Actiontecs together with a short 3ft coax and from one laptop to another laptop via the Ethernet ports there was no difference in speed (still 10-20Mb/s) so now I'm back to thinking it's the routers which are having problems - something either with the Ethernet ports/built-in switch or the Ethernet to Coax conversion..

What I don't quite understand though is when I set the TCP window size to 100 kb, and re-run the iperf/jperf tests, I get ~60-70Mb/s through the coax, so that should tell me it's working (although not at the 90Mb/s you are getting) somewhat, correct?

Puzzling.. I'm going to try to do a full reset (via the web interface) on two Actiontecs and possibly update the firmware on my Rev A's to see if that helps any..

Can any of you with Rev A's please report your firmware version?

Mine is currently 4.0.16.1.45.160

Thanks,
Chad
post #378 of 1223 Old 01-24-2010, 02:51 PM

vegitacx had the same problems with both his Actiontecs, bought two other routers and the problem was solved.

If you do go the firmware route, the latest firmware is 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6..

post #379 of 1223 Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 AM

I had the same problem with one of my routers being "stuck" at 10mbit. The other router worked once I hard reset it a few times (just luck I guess). I bought 2 from ABCliquidators and both worked fine at 100mbit. My home network is all sailing now.
post #380 of 1223 Old 01-25-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegitacx View Post

I had the same problem with one of my routers being "stuck" at 10mbit. The other router worked once I hard reset it a few times (just luck I guess). I bought 2 from ABCliquidators and both worked fine at 100mbit. My home network is all sailing now.

How do you hard reset it? Hold down the reset button for 10 secs on the back? Do you have the ports set to Auto or 100/Full?

Maybe it's time to buy some additional units..
post #381 of 1223 Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 AM

Power on and after it boots hold reset button for 30secs, power off while continuing to hold reset button for 30secs, and power on while continuing holding reset button for 30secs.

post #382 of 1223 Old 01-26-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Power on and after it boots hold reset button for 30secs, power off while continuing to hold reset button for 30secs, and power on while continuing holding reset button for 30secs.

Thanks, but this doesn't work for me. Once I have turned the power back on after the last 30 seconds, the power LED goes orange, and I can't do anything. I ended up just holding down the reset button for 10 seconds, waiting for all the lights to go out, and then re-configuring the box.

I went back to square one and daisy-chained two Actiontecs beside each other via coax.. still no change in speed (maxes out at ~15 mbps).

However, when I changed the TCP Window Size to 100 Kb and re-ran the jperf test, the speed jumped to ~60-80 mbps.. so I'm confused as to whether there is a problem here or not..?

(BTW, I did upgrade the firmware on all Rev A Actiontecs to 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6-MI424WR.rmt)
post #383 of 1223 Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 AM

I have no experience with jperf but I basically perform copies and ftp transfers from both ends with laptops to test the throughput. My second router that was maxing at 30mbit on streams, maxed out at 90mbit on local traffic so when I reset it something changed and I was getting 90mbit on streams.

It may be only one of the routers that's really limiting the whole thing. When I did a local traffic test on both routers one popped up with 90mbit (the one that fixed itself with hard reset) and the other hit 10mbit locally. No matter what I try I can't get more than 1.1meg/sec from that router.

If that's the case I would just buy a couple from that place, it's relatively cheap for the added functionality.
post #384 of 1223 Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks, but this doesn't work for me.

You probably have 1 or more bad routers.. If you cant return the ones you have, make sure the seller allows you to return them when you order the replacements.. When they work, they work very well..

post #385 of 1223 Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:

You probably have 1 or more bad routers.. If you cant return the ones you have, make sure the seller allows you to return them when you order the replacements.. When they work, they work very well..

Seems like I'm not the only one with the question about why adjusting TCP Window Size increases MoCA performance:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/sh...2&postcount=83

Can anyone here explain this apart from return and replace?

Also found this on the amber light when trying to do a hard reset:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r198...WR-via-updates

..seems as though you have to use TFTP once the amber light appears, and then manually put the firmware file on it.
post #386 of 1223 Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Using TFTP to install the firmware is only used should you brick your router and you cannot connect to the UI..

I did not adjust the window size settings with my routers and they operate at 100Mb/s speeds, so it seems your cheating if your using those settings to get speeds you cannot achieve without using them..

post #387 of 1223 Old 01-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Seems like I'm not the only one with the question about why adjusting TCP Window Size increases MoCA performance:

I have a 6ms ping time between two different hosts across MoCA.

With 6 ms, you need at least the following TCP Windows Size to get 100 Mbit

100000 kbps x 0.006 seconds / 8 bits/byte = 75 kbytes

The iperf server tcp windows size defaults to 8 kbytes on my windows computer. If you don't set it above 75 kbytes, you won't be able to push up to 100 Mbits/sec.

iperf default settings don't reflect what your default OS kernel or applications like ssh or nfs would be configured at.
post #388 of 1223 Old 01-31-2010, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

iperf default settings don't reflect what your default OS kernel or applications like ssh or nfs would be configured at.

So is there a way to mess with the TCP window size that will get used for file shares?

xnappo
post #389 of 1223 Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

So is there a way to mess with the TCP window size that will get used for file shares?

xnappo

This is a pretty broad question that I don't have the explicit expertise to answer authoritatively. Each OS has knobs that can and can't be turned and applications vary dramatically as to their TCP window size defaults and TCP window auto-scaling capabilities.
post #390 of 1223 Old 02-03-2010, 12:16 PM

folks - sorry to interrupt the performance discussions... one of my two deployed boxes seems to have bitten the dust. as far as i can tell it's a hardware failure of the 4-port switch. when i plug any device into any of the 4 ports, the activity light flashes very quickly, and the interface drops almost every 64-byte packet sent to it. larger packets are dropped entirely.

has anyone else seen this? i did buy three of these to cover myself in this event, and i'm back up and running with the spare. but given that 1 out of the 3 that i bought initally was bad, and now that another has failed, i'm a little worried that maybe these boxes are not so reliable.

does anyone know how to open one of these? i wanted to take a look at the board and see if anything looks obviously blown...

edit - i got it open... 4 screws under the footpads and one under the sticker at the front. can't see anything obviously wrong. the power supply shows 5.2V unloaded and 4.9V loaded. that's probably okay, i suppose. i have heard that the power supplies do fail... i wonder if a bad power supply could have killed mine.

at any rate i need to seek out another spare...
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page