post #451 of 1225 Old 03-30-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post

What kind of Low Pass filter do you use to block the MOCA signal for a HTPC using the new Centon Card ?

It been noted in articles like this: http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/30/ce...-tuner-review/

"The helpful Ceton support crew really came though and discovered that MoCA traffic on channel 1150Mhz was the culprit. We just disabled the MoCA LAN interface since we don't use it, but you can also use a different MoCA channel or install a low pass filter."

* I hope this is the right place to ask this question !

I am guessing 1GHz because cable signals are below 1GHz and MoCA above. That doesn't quite make sense though, because why would the other suggestion of moving it to another channel above 1ghz make a difference?

xnappo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1225 Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post

Excellent information here. I got 2 of the Actiontec routers from ebay. The setup was pretty easy, thanks to xnappo!

I am able to stream movies encoded at 25 Mbps without issues to my HTPC running XP SP2. However, when trying to stream a 40 Mbps CBR file, the movie stutters (file plays fine on local drive). The network seemed to max out at 33 Mbps. I am using SMB. The streaming is actually worst when using NFS in this case. I believe chadw01 asked about setting the TCP window size in this post. I assume no one figured out if that is possible. I don't see it any where browsing through the advance settings.

Testing with iperf, I am able get about 80 Mbps (both directions) when the TCP window size is set to 128kb. One thing interesting is that if I copy a large file across the network (Windows file share copy) I also get about 33 Mbps. However, if I initiate another file copy, the network speed will bump up to 57 Mbps. If another one is initiated, the network will, again, bump up to close to 80 Mbps. It almost seems like there's the speed cap for each TCP connection. Although I am not sure why iperf wasn't affected.

I've been trying for weeks tweaking the XP network, and sever side settings, etc. and still can't break the cap. Anyone else have any new info regarding router settings?

Thanks,
MSL

Unfortunately there's no setting for TCP window size on the router.. you won't find a lot of options when dealing with TCP window size in applications and hardware either.. it's more a diagnostic option that jperf lets you set more than anything else.

Have you tried hooking up your two routers directly to one another via coax and then retesting your thoroughput? That will rule out wiring in your home/apartment.. I've found that the 10/100 switches on these things are very flaky and either don't work properly or outright die.

It's unfortunate for a few of us since there are other folks on this forum who are getting 90-100mbps using the same hardware.. I'd be happy with 50mbps since that would be good enough for streaming HD content, but I'd be lucky to get that with any consistency.

If you find that magic bullet, do share - I'll do the same.

Chad
post #453 of 1225 Old 03-31-2010, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

What kind of Low Pass filter do you use to block the MOCA signal for a HTPC using the new Centon Card ?

It been noted in articles like this: http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/30/ce...-tuner-review/

"The helpful Ceton support crew really came though and discovered that MoCA traffic on channel 1150Mhz was the culprit. We just disabled the MoCA LAN interface since we don't use it, but you can also use a different MoCA channel or install a low pass filter."

* I hope this is the right place to ask this question !

I was wondering the same thing. One could use a Diplexer between the Ceton card and the cable line. Plug the cable line into the in/out port and the Ceton card into the TV port and terminate the Sat port. That should block all signals above 860Mhz from reaching the Ceton card. That is going to be my fallback position if I can't find an in-line band pass filter and I have the same problems with my InfiniTV4.

-- Jim
post #454 of 1225 Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadw01 View Post

It's unfortunate for a few of us since there are other folks on this forum who are getting 90-100mbps using the same hardware.. I'd be happy with 50mbps since that would be good enough for streaming HD content, but I'd be lucky to get that with any consistency.

If you find that magic bullet, do share - I'll do the same.

Chad

I am really curious if anyone has tried using two Rev Cs or newer, or have moved on to some other MoCA solution and seen better results with the same setup.

xnappo
post #455 of 1225 Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 AM

Man my Rev A just died this weekend. Symptoms are no switch lights. Only light on the unit is a blinking wireless light and blinking light on the power supply. Resetting doesn't change anything. Off to get another C,D, or E.....
post #456 of 1225 Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post

Man my Rev A just died this weekend. Symptoms are no switch lights. Only light on the unit is a blinking wireless light and blinking light on the power supply. Resetting doesn't change anything. Off to get another C,D, or E.....

BTW I had an 'A' die on me too - strongly suggest people avoid them. Hope you got enough use out of it for the price not to be too bummed.

Make sure that it doesn't work with another power supply first though - the power supplies are also quite suspect!

xnappo
post #457 of 1225 Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallory View Post

I was wondering the same thing. One could use a Diplexer between the Ceton card and the cable line. Plug the cable line into the in/out port and the Ceton card into the TV port and terminate the Sat port. That should block all signals above 860Mhz from reaching the Ceton card. That is going to be my fallback position if I can't find an in-line band pass filter and I have the same problems with my InfiniTV4.

How exactly do you "terminate the Sat port"?
post #458 of 1225 Old 03-31-2010, 12:15 PM

xnappo I think you may have to change the title of the thread soon, though "the somewhat cheap MoCA bridge" may not have the same ring to it. These routers are just not very cheap anymore.

I think the word is seriously getting out and prices have gone up quite a bit. Lately I've seen routers selling for no less than $40 with shipping, while a couple of months back it was more like $20. I even got my first router for $15.

They are getting scarce too, before there were 3 or 4 sellers on craiglist, this weekend I got my second router from a seller which had just listed it, you have to catch them really quick before they go away. I had been looking for weeks but found none and there were no others listed.

Anyway, I finally got two of these and I'm lucky enough that the builder put two coax runs in every room, so one can be dedicated to MoCA. Nice!

I will configure and post results.

Franke46
post #459 of 1225 Old 03-31-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
"Blocking the MOCA signal"

I think the

"Eagle Aspen Single Port Power Passive Diplexer (D2200)"

5-2250 MHz Input
5-862 MHz Output for TV
950-2250 MHz Output for satellite

may be the one to get !

* I think you can just leave the Sat Output unconnected or close it off with a terminator Cap.
F Type 75 Ohm Terminator Caps, Pkg/10 sold many places, Amazon usually $5.99

Thanks guys !

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #460 of 1225 Old 03-31-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke46 View Post

xnappo I think you may have to change the title of the thread soon, though "the somewhat cheap MoCA bridge" may not have the same ring to it. These routers are just not very cheap anymore.

I think the word is seriously getting out and prices have gone up quite a bit. Lately I've seen routers selling for no less than $40 with shipping, while a couple of months back it was more like $20. I even got my first router for $15.

They are getting scarce too, before there were 3 or 4 sellers on craiglist, this weekend I got my second router from a seller which had just listed it, you have to catch them really quick before they go away. I had been looking for weeks but found none and there were no others listed.

Anyway, I finally got two of these and I'm lucky enough that the builder put two coax runs in every room, so one can be dedicated to MoCA. Nice!

I will configure and post results.

Franke46

They are probably scarce because once you go FIOS, you rarely go back to the competition. So the only available units are people who completely move out of a FIOS area.

P.S. Try http://heycraigapp.com/ for automated craigslist notification.
post #461 of 1225 Old 03-31-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:

They are probably scarce because once you go FIOS, you rarely go back to the competition. So the only available units are people who completely move out of a FIOS area.

P.S. Try http://heycraigapp.com/ for automated craigslist notification.

Doesn't Verizon require you to return these routers when you leave?
post #462 of 1225 Old 03-31-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post

Doesn't Verizon require you to return these routers when you leave?

No you own them.
post #463 of 1225 Old 03-31-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Make sure that it doesn't work with another power supply first though - the power supplies are also quite suspect!

xnappo

Yeah, just got to fiddling with that and it was just the power supply. I'll try the latest eBay one that was suggested in this thread a couple pages ago.
post #464 of 1225 Old 03-31-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:

No you own them.

Dang! When I disconected fios I returned 2 dvrs and the router to the fios store, they were all too happy to receive them. I think you are right, I should have kept the router.

Franke46
post #465 of 1225 Old 04-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

How exactly do you "terminate the Sat port"?

By putting a 75-ohm terminator on it. You should do that for any port on a splitter or diplexer that is not connected to a device, otherwise you may get interference on the remaining lines.

-- Jim
post #466 of 1225 Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Just finished installing and configuring MoCA. It took me about 2h total.

I left one of the actiontechs as my main router, I had one of these before with fios and never had an issue with NATs so I'm going to trust that. The second router is downstairs and it works BEAUTIFULY!!!! I have two devices downstairs, the HTPC and the bluray player, both work great.

I see no degradation of my internet speed, currently at 30Mbps down, 0.5M up, the reading is the same on the HTPC via MoCA and on the main pc directly connected to the main router.

Now I need to figure out a way to test speed between the PCs but I will do that later. Any advice?

These routers are awesome, they have so many options, Ethernet and broadband via either coax or 100baseT and a host of configuration menus, I will poach one or two more from the net just to have as spares. The rest of the house upstairs I will wire with cat5e. I may be tempted to use more of these for the other rooms, but no, they use quite a bit of power and I would not feel comfortable when a simple cable will do.

Franke46
post #467 of 1225 Old 04-01-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:

Yeah sounds like the switch is fried - pretty common with Rev A's - you could always still use it as a wireless access point though.. the WEP key should be on the bottom of the unit.
post #468 of 1225 Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Yeah sounds like the switch is fried - pretty common with Rev A's - you could always still use it as a wireless access point though.. the WEP key should be on the bottom of the unit.

Nope. After I got around to further testing, it was the power supply. The router works fine.
post #469 of 1225 Old 04-02-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Found a Filter designed for MOCA: http://www.soontai.com/MoCA-PoE-h.htm

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #470 of 1225 Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found a Filter designed for MOCA: http://www.soontai.com/MoCA-PoE-h.htm

That looks perfect, but I can't find anywhere online to buy it!
post #471 of 1225 Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 PM

post #472 of 1225 Old 04-05-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Just finished installing and configuring MoCA. It took me about 2h total.

A 1 GB file took a little over a minute to transfer, seems like I'm getting close to 100Mbps. Sweet.

Franke46
post #473 of 1225 Old 04-05-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

These little suckers are power hungry. My RevA box is sucking 11.7W while doing nothing. Are the newer revs any better?
post #474 of 1225 Old 04-06-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:

These little suckers are power hungry. My RevA box is sucking 11.7W while doing nothing. Are the newer revs any better?

I get about the same with a rev. C, and a bit less ~9W with a rev. D
That's with wireless turned off on both of them.
post #475 of 1225 Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:

What are you using to gauge this output?
post #476 of 1225 Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are you using to gauge this output?

Kill-A-Watt
post #477 of 1225 Old 04-11-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Kill-A-Watt

Would you mind checking how much power they draw with the router off? They have a little switch in the back.

Thanks

Franke46
post #478 of 1225 Old 04-11-2010, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would you mind checking how much power they draw with the router off? They have a little switch in the back.

I measure a nice round 0.0 W.
post #479 of 1225 Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 AM

Really?? Wow, normally those little power adapters suck at least some power when they are plugged in the wall, even with no load on them. Well they used to anyway, when they were miniature versions of the typical transformer-rectifier ac-dc adapter.
This is much too small to have that and put out 3A, more than likely is a type of solid state switching power supply.

So that is nice, I think I will switch my downstairs router off when not in use.

Thanks

Franke46
post #480 of 1225 Old 04-19-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Franke46

If I switch the power off, would I not be able to use the additional ethernet ports on the actiontec to connect my other devices? Currently I use up all the ports as I connect multiple devices to it.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page