Actiontec MI424WR - a cheap MoCA bridge for all! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 1225 Old 06-07-2009, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just wanted to say thanks-I got this up and running, using them as bridges. It significantly reduced the clutter (and increased WAF) in the areas where I had been using NIM100s and separate switches.

Cheers
F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1225 Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Thanks for so much knowledge and information. I have similar issues and the posts have helped but I am still not sure what is my best option to get ethernet connectivity to two devices in my living room which has no CAT5 cabling and is a bit far removed from the house (it was added later by the previous owner). I have attached a diagram of my cabling. I have Verizon FiOS but only for Internet. TV services are from DirecTV. Also, my ONT is connected to the Actiontec router via CAT5e though I guess most people connect via MoCA over Coax.

Any suggestions? My laptop near the TV says "wireless signal" strength is low so I can't figure out if a gaming adapter would work. The other option is to use a MoCA bridge - like the suggested Moto NIM100 or another Actiontec old router off ebay. The previous owners have a Coax though I can't figure out how they got it there (probably before the foundation of the floor was made since there is no crawlspace either). Advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Guraaf

LL
post #33 of 1225 Old 06-10-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp View Post

I bought 5 of these guys (1-A, 2-C, 2-D) and am replacing all the wireless connections in the house with MoCA. At an average cost of less than $20.00 shipped per router, you've saved me a lot of money and I'll likely experience better performance than going the wireless N route.

Timely too, since Ebay seems to be running low on these critters (or at least the ones that were at a decent price point).

So maybe your last sentence answers my question.. Were you just lucky on eBay, or do you have some other source for them?
post #34 of 1225 Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
guraaf:
I think MoCA is a good option for you. Especially since the coax is totally unused. Is the coax available close to your Actiontec router currently in use?

Your other option might be to get a router compatible with DD-WRT which can act as a wireless bridge and use 802.11g - but if you want to do streaming video (or might in the future) I would go for MoCA.

mattack:
There are still plenty on eBay. This guy seems to always have them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ACTIONTEC-MI424W...3286.m20.l1116
but others pop up just about every day for a few bucks less.

xnappo
post #35 of 1225 Old 06-11-2009, 03:46 AM

Thanks a lot of the pointers. The Coax can be brought close to the Actiontec though right now it is in the basement and not the first floor. But I see some simple way of actually extended it to the Actiontec.

Will I connect the Coax to the Actiontec or directly to the ONT?
post #36 of 1225 Old 06-11-2009, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guraaf View Post

Thanks a lot of the pointers. The Coax can be brought close to the Actiontec though right now it is in the basement and not the first floor. But I see some simple way of actually extended it to the Actiontec.

Will I connect the Coax to the Actiontec or directly to the ONT?

You might want to ask in the Verizon forums over here:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/vzfiber

My understanding (which is limited!) is that you would connect it to the Actiontec not the ONT, because your system is configured to use CAT5 from the ONT. BUT I could very well be wrong. Please let me know what you find out.

xnappo
post #37 of 1225 Old 06-20-2009, 10:44 AM

I want to add two actiontec MI424MR as moca bridges on my fios network, but I have 7 Fios HD STB, when all are connected the Coax LAN light does light up on my moca bridge. If I disconnect a STB the moca bridge work fine. Does anyone know any setting to increase the amount of moca devices on my Fios network?
post #38 of 1225 Old 06-21-2009, 06:39 AM

This is my setup, see diagram. I want like to get the Both ACtiontec Moca bridges up without disconnect my STBs.
LL
post #39 of 1225 Old 06-21-2009, 09:21 AM

So I've got the whole thing set up. 2 routers and 2 diplexers to bypass the amp. Still have one major hicup. As soon as I complete the coaxial circuit it knocks out my modem. For the life of me I can't figure out why.
post #40 of 1225 Old 06-21-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmon31 View Post

This is my setup, see diagram. I want like to get the Both ACtiontec Moca bridges up without disconnect my STBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetachi View Post

Still have one major hicup. As soon as I complete the coaxial circuit it knocks out my modem. For the life of me I can't figure out why.

For both of you guys, you might want to try changing the MoCA channel (frequency). I think the default is channel 1, 1GHz (I am away from home and can't check).

For bassmon31 - this will basically create two MoCA networks over your coax.

For zetachi, all I can think is it is interfering with your cable modem - but I have never heard of a cable modem using 1GHz... Doesn't hurt to try though.

Good luck,
xnappo
post #41 of 1225 Old 06-21-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

For both of you guys, you might want to try changing the MoCA channel (frequency). I think the default is channel 1, 1GHz (I am away from home and can't check).

For bassmon31 - this will basically create two MoCA networks over your coax.

For zetachi, all I can think is it is interfering with your cable modem - but I have never heard of a cable modem using 1GHz... Doesn't hurt to try though.

Good luck,
xnappo

How?
post #42 of 1225 Old 06-21-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How?

Hopefully someone else can answer in detail - I am out of town. It is in the advanced MoCA settings...
post #43 of 1225 Old 06-21-2009, 07:07 PM

Yeah... xnappo, I thought of changing the frequency of moca the only way I can think of doing that is to get another Actiontec moca bridges (than I will have three) one will be connected to my DHCP actiontec router via Ethernet and than connected to coax to transmitter over different frequency to the other two actiontec moca bridges. I would then have to change all my splitter since the one Verizon installed only go upto 1 ghz.
post #44 of 1225 Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 PM

zetachi, go to My Network connections then network connections on left, then coax or network/home office (depend on version of firmware on router), then coax. Click settings and channel is a drop down menu. I don't have cable, so I don't know the settings on your cable modem.
post #45 of 1225 Old 06-21-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:

zetachi, go to My Network connections then network connections on left, then coax or network/home office (depend on version of firmware on router), then coax. Click settings and channel is a drop down menu. I don't have cable, so I don't know the settings on your cable modem.

Got it. Not sure if that was it but it seems to be working now LMAO though speed test puts my speed at only a bit above Wireless G. That's on a connected laptop. Need to hardwire the PS3 now and test that. Think it may need to wait till tomorrow as I don't need anymore stress on Fathers Day

Thanks for all the help.

Z
post #46 of 1225 Old 06-21-2009, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

So maybe your last sentence answers my question.. Were you just lucky on eBay, or do you have some other source for them?

I was lucky to get them at those prices. I bought them as soon as I saw xnappo's posting here and was able to snag them at decent prices.

Man, they work a charm once I reconfigured my cable systems in order to eliminate the amp I had in there.
post #47 of 1225 Old 06-22-2009, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got it. Not sure if that was it but it seems to be working now LMAO though speed test puts my speed at only a bit above Wireless G. That's on a connected laptop. Need to hardwire the PS3 now and test that. Think it may need to wait till tomorrow as I don't need anymore stress on Fathers Day

Thanks for all the help.

Z

Glad you got it working, but you should be getting speeds much better than wireless G - you should be getting close to 100baseT speeds. Have you tried testing with iperf (google if you don't have it)?

xnappo
post #48 of 1225 Old 06-22-2009, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah... xnappo, I thought of changing the frequency of moca the only way I can think of doing that is to get another Actiontec moca bridges (than I will have three) one will be connected to my DHCP actiontec router via Ethernet and than connected to coax to transmitter over different frequency to the other two actiontec moca bridges. I would then have to change all my splitter since the one Verizon installed only go upto 1 ghz.

Yeah, that is the only way I can see getting it to work with having more than 8 devices with MoCA 1.0. MoCA 1.1 supports up to 16, but I suspect that it requires all the equipment be 1.1 (though I am not positive about that).

For you splitter, a 1GHz splitter will work fine as long as it is high quality, which since it is installed for FIOS, it probably is.

xnappo

P.S. Thanks for helping out zetachi
post #49 of 1225 Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 PM

I'm currently using 3 NIM100s in my network setup & I need one or two more connections.

NIM100s are getting hard to find (& more expensive) on eBay so I'm wondering if it's possible to use MI424WRs (as bridges) in conjunction with NIM100s?

If it matters, I have Comcast cable & Internet (no FIOS).

Thanks

Mark
post #50 of 1225 Old 06-22-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhittaker1024 View Post

NIM100s are getting hard to find (& more expensive) on eBay so I'm wondering if it's possible to use MI424WRs (as bridges) in conjunction with NIM100s?

Mark

Yes, it will work fine.

xnappo
post #51 of 1225 Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that is the only way I can see getting it to work with having more than 8 devices with MoCA 1.0. MoCA 1.1 supports up to 16, but I suspect that it requires all the equipment be 1.1 (though I am not positive about that).

For you splitter, a 1GHz splitter will work fine as long as it is high quality, which since it is installed for FIOS, it probably is.

xnappo

P.S. Thanks for helping out zetachi

I tried using 1200 MHz but it didn't work, I think it because the splitters that the Fios guys installed only cover 5 - 1000 Mhz range (that is what is labeled on the splitter too).
Xnappo, have you try using 1200 Mhz or higher frequency with 5 - 1000 MHz splitters? If you get it to work...then I might be doing something wrong. Also, check out this link:

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board....id=5434#M5434

they are using a low pass filter... I might end up doing a configuration like this, in order to have one of my STB off the main moca network.

Let me know if you or anyone comes up with some other options. I believe you are right about Moca 1.1 required all devices to be Moca 1.1.
post #52 of 1225 Old 06-23-2009, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Xnappo, have you try using 1200 Mhz or higher frequency with 5 - 1000 MHz splitters? If you get it to work...then I might be doing something wrong. Also, check out this link:

Well, I played around with it and it seemed to work fine with my 1GHz splitters. I suppose it is possible that your splitters are combination splitters and low pass filters - but a normal 1GHz splitter won't suddenly just stop working at 1.1GHz - it is just that the construction won't meet the spec'ed loss above 1GHz. It will just slowly roll off though, not completely not work.

If it isn't too much of a pain, you might try hooking some stuff together all in on room and make sure you can get concurrent networks going...

xnappo
post #53 of 1225 Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Yes, it will work fine.

xnappo

Thanks
post #54 of 1225 Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

How difficult are these things to get working if you're using satellite? I'm on Bell Expressvu (canadian Dish equivalent) and I've been trying to do some digging regarding this. I read something about an All Pass mode, but wasn't sure what it does, and I found a post from someone that used a triplexer to get it working. If I didn't have satellite this would be my best solution.
post #55 of 1225 Old 06-26-2009, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked View Post

How difficult are these things to get working if you're using satellite? I'm on Bell Expressvu (canadian Dish equivalent) and I've been trying to do some digging regarding this. I read something about an All Pass mode, but wasn't sure what it does, and I found a post from someone that used a triplexer to get it working. If I didn't have satellite this would be my best solution.

Well, so basically MoCA uses a channel in the 1GHz range (you can set it to a few different frequencies between 1-1.5GHz or so). So the issue comes in when you have your satellite multiplexed in such a way that they are both trying to use that frequency range. I don't have satellite, but my understanding is that there are various ways to shift around the frequency - so you would have to do that... If you have a better understanding of what that means than I do, I would appreciate a more informed explanation of what I just said

xnappo
post #56 of 1225 Old 07-02-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Great thread... Ironically I have been researching this for a while.. and glad I stumbled oupon this.. I almost bout the Netgear last week... For 36 and change I got the Actiontech from above... cant beat the price.. low price if it works.. of course I will wish I bought more if it works out for me.. I will let you guys know how it works out... I will be going from top floor one side of the house to 1st floor on the other side of the house.
post #57 of 1225 Old 07-02-2009, 11:47 AM

So how long of a run on RG-59 would MoCA work?
post #58 of 1225 Old 07-02-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

low price if it works..

Good luck - and let us know if you need any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy999 View Post

So how long of a run on RG-59 would MoCA work?

According to the MoCA FAQ (http://www.mocalliance.org/en/aboutus/faq.asp) "MoCA is able to provide more than 100 Mpbs throughput at distances of more than 300m."

xnappo
post #59 of 1225 Old 07-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Ya, I saw that but it doesn't say on what type of coax. It says it works on any type of coax at one point. Then it says 300m in the other question. They never say "300m over any coax".

But I am a bit confused on what MoCA actually offers. I understand the networking aspect of it. It modulates the ethernet up to an unused spectrum on the coax..... somewhere around 1GHz. But they also talk about routing video over it. Wouldn't that require something like a slingbox to convert the video to ethernet then over the coax? I am looking for ways to get video signals from my main entertainment area downstairs to all of my televisions upstairs and also to get a fast network connection from my cable modem upstairs to my main entertainment area downstairs. I was wondering if MoCA might be the one step solution for both.
post #60 of 1225 Old 07-02-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy999 View Post

Wouldn't that require something like a slingbox to convert the video to ethernet then over the coax? I am looking for ways to get video signals from my main entertainment area downstairs to all of my televisions upstairs and also to get a fast network connection from my cable modem upstairs to my main entertainment area downstairs. I was wondering if MoCA might be the one step solution for both.

They are just saying that it provides enough bandwidth to move video around a household. Their biggest customers prior to the netgear launch were TV service providers who wanted to provide 'whole home DVR' type service. MoCA is the mechanism these 'whole home' DVR cable boxes use.

So yes, for your case you would need something like Slingbox to use this.

xnappo

[EDIT] I found a table showing that RG-59 has a 21.5db loss over 100ft, while RG-6 has a 6.1db loss (at 1GHz). According to my calculations, this means that 280 feet of RG-59 is equivalent to 985 feet (300M) of RG-6. Doesn't directly answer your question, but should help...
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page