Actiontec MI424WR - a cheap MoCA bridge for all! - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 12-27-2010, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
what is the difference between a diplexer and a splitter?
i was considering getting the paladin tools 9673 as mentioned earlier http://www.frys.com/product/5348918 , but it says its for satellite. Will it work for fios/cable services?

or i saw another splitter on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Splitter-Broadba...item3357c97ddf , was not sure whether to go this route.

after getting a splitter/diplexer should i also get a poe filter to retain picture quality on stb?

my setup would be for a fios stb and a mi424wr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 AM

Liked: 10
I got one- I bought a 5v supply by mistake for a rev F. You can have for $14 shipped. I managed to find a second rev F on Ebay that came with the 10v 1.6a pwr supply but it looks as if Ill be waiting a month for one to come from China to hook up to the 2nd router unless someone has one they'd be willing to part with.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman1rb View Post

FYI- I found out the hard way a Rev F (and Im pretty sure a D or E) uses a nearly impossible to find 10v 1.6a power supply so be warned of buying those types on ebay if they dont have adapters. I managed to find a Chinese company that sells them but by the time I get it in the mail I wont be able to return the MI424WR if it's defective. Bummer!

Rev. C & D use the 5v 3a power, Rev E goes to the 10v. I measured slightly lower power draw with the Rev E, which might be a consideration since these things are on all the time.
I also bought an adapter from one of the Chinese Ebay vendors. It arrived quicker than I had expected, was Actiontek branded, and worked well.

Ben
Old 12-29-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSanford View Post

Rev. C & D use the 5v 3a power, Rev E goes to the 10v. I measured slightly lower power draw with the Rev E, which might be a consideration since these things are on all the time.
I also bought an adapter from one of the Chinese Ebay vendors. It arrived quicker than I had expected, was Actiontek branded, and worked well.

Ben

Can you be more specific with the power draw? I have two Rev A's pulling (IIRC) about 11W each.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

Can you be more specific with the power draw? I have two Rev A's pulling (IIRC) about 11W each.

My Rev E pulls 9W while Rev C pulls 12W. About $2.13/yr difference powered 24/7 assuming 8.1cents per kWh.

Shawn
Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Hiya Actiontec People-
Just got my 2nd Rev. F router in the mail and wanted to get some insight on what I need as far as new splitters. Would you recommend the 5-2.4GHZ splitters for hanging in front of a cox cable modem w Linksys WRT54G, same at the far (TV) end? The outside splitter is a 4-way 5-1000mhz, so would I change out that one as well? Also, Ben, if you could share the seller info where you got the Chinese Actiontek adapter (mine came in but didnt have a big enough end on it- I suppose I could modify it but hate creating fire hazards in my house) I'd appreciate it. I also understand Actiontec will sell a 10v 1.6a replacement for $29.95- but that is righteous bucks... Thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Hiya Actiontec People-
Just got my 2nd Rev. F router in the mail and wanted to get some insight on what I need as far as new splitters. Would you recommend the 5-2.4GHZ splitters for hanging in front of a cox cable modem w Linksys WRT54G, same at the far (TV) end? The outside splitter is a 4-way 5-1000mhz, so would I change out that one as well? Also, Ben, if you could share the seller info where you got the Chinese Actiontek adapter (mine came in but didnt have a big enough end on it- I suppose I could modify it but hate creating fire hazards in my house) I'd appreciate it. I also understand Actiontec will sell a 10v 1.6a replacement for $29.95- but that is righteous bucks... Thanks!

Geez Ross, you are having bad luck. I personally would just hack the one you ordered(using solder and shink tube), but that is just me.

Regarding splitters, it kinda depends on how good your signal is right now.

At the cheapest you MIGHT get away with keeping the 4-way splitter and adding 5-2Ghz splitters as needed.

The better thing to do would be to replace the 4-way splitter with one going to 2ghz, and use diplexers (http://www.frys.com/product/5348918) and connect the cable to the mhz port and the MoCA to the ghz port. That will give you the best signal all-round, but of course costs more.

xnappo
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Hi Xnappo,
I received the adapter I ordered from Actiontec yesterday and hooked up my two rev F's as per you first post. I did purchase two 5-2.4ghz splitters and 4 RJ6 patch cables to lay the groundwork for all this (also bought a 5 way to have around just in case) and it all went like clockwork and I was VERY HAPPY with the result- a resounding THANK YOU is in order. Had to change my poor old WRT54G (r4) to static mode of course but I dont have many guests coming over with their Ipads so thats OK. Updating to some 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT to get it to do static AND DHCP is a pretty attractive idea.
Im not sure of the best way to test throughput, Status Monitor maybe- Id like to see it with and without the new 5way entrance splitter, but Ill say it was loading netflix movies like a m#$%^. I had bought one of my rev F's new for $57 and for some reason that one didnt even show a wireless tab on the top of the screen and when you click on "Wireless Options" on the left of the main screen, it doesnt even change. Do you know if some of their firmware leaves wireless completely out of the picture? Or (more likely) am I not pushing some obvious button due to my bad eyesight. Its no big deal since Im not using it- im just curious. Thanks again for turning us all on to MoCA!
ANYONE WANT TO BUY A SLIGHTLY USED LG8500 WIRELESS DONGLE?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM

This may be of interest to a number of folks here. MoCA 2.0 development is speeding up. I'll stick with my Rev. As until MoCA 2.0 products are widely available.

http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroo....html?d=210464

General availability of OEM products likely only in early 2012 though.

The new Entropic MoCA 2.0 silicon/software solution will sample in the first half of 2011, with full volume production expected for Q1 2012.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had bought one of my rev F's new for $57 and for some reason that one didnt even show a wireless tab on the top of the screen and when you click on "Wireless Options" on the left of the main screen, it doesnt even change. Do you know if some of their firmware leaves wireless completely out of the picture?

Glad you got it working! No idea about the 'Wireless Options' disappearing though - sorry.

xnappo
Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 AM

AVS list...
I saw a number of postings on the type of splitters to utilize when extending your FiOS in-home network. I am the owner of the eBay site mentioned in a posting that has the MoCA splitters on eBay. Before my retirement, My past client. supplied the orginal PDI (yellow label) splitters to Verizon. Then the NEWLY designed MoCA splitters from MCR Group (Green Label) to Verizon's west coast operations.....
MoCA networking uses the bandwidth from 875-1550MHz to communicate between devices. The STANDARD Cable TV type splitter only bandwidth up to 1000Mhz. So the idea of the expanded bandwidth MoCA enablinig splitters was a simple factory re-tune of existing technology, plus it proved to be cost effective and greatly improved the throughput of the ever expanding FiOS in-home network.....
Satellite type splitters operate up to 2150MHz and some manufactures approach 3GHz. Using Satellite splitters for extending MoCA networks is OK but an Expensive solution. MoCA 5-1200MHz splitters sell for a fraction of the cost of Satellite bandwidth'd device....
This is my first posting on the AVS list I hope it was helpful.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:09 PM

@ Xnappo- No prob, man, Thanks for you help.
@ Home Net Depot- Good info, Ill point friends Im trying to convert from wireless to MoCA to your Ebay listing
Ross
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Net Depot View Post
AVS list...
I saw a number of postings on the type of splitters to utilize when extending your FiOS in-home network. I am the owner of the eBay site mentioned in a posting that has the MoCA splitters on eBay. Before my retirement, My past client. supplied the orginal PDI (yellow label) splitters to Verizon. Then the NEWLY designed MoCA splitters from MCR Group (Green Label) to Verizon's west coast operations.....
MoCA networking uses the bandwidth from 875-1550MHz to communicate between devices. The STANDARD Cable TV type splitter only bandwidth up to 1000Mhz. So the idea of the expanded bandwidth MoCA enablinig splitters was a simple factory re-tune of existing technology, plus it proved to be cost effective and greatly improved the throughput of the ever expanding FiOS in-home network.....
Satellite type splitters operate up to 2150MHz and some manufactures approach 3GHz. Using Satellite splitters for extending MoCA networks is OK but an Expensive solution. MoCA 5-1200MHz splitters sell for a fraction of the cost of Satellite bandwidth'd device....
This is my first posting on the AVS list I hope it was helpful.
What is your ebay store or how do I get to it?
Thanks,
Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npradeepkumar View Post

What is your ebay store or how do I get to it?
Thanks,

Type in to eBay store search Home Networking Depot and the store will come up. I would list it here but I'm not sure what the rules say about that
Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 PM

Ben,

Can you please share the vendor information for the 10v adapter?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I received the adapter I ordered from Actiontec yesterday and hooked up my two rev F's as per you first post. I did purchase two 5-2.4ghz splitters and 4 RJ6 patch cables to lay the groundwork for all this (also bought a 5 way to have around just in case) and it all went like clockwork and I was VERY HAPPY with the result- a resounding THANK YOU is in order. Had to change my poor old WRT54G (r4) to static mode of course but I dont have many guests coming over with their Ipads so thats OK. Updating to some 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT to get it to do static AND DHCP is a pretty attractive idea.

I don't understand this -- are you saying you disabled DHCP on your Linksys? Why? That should not be necessary.

As long as the Actiontecs are given IP addresses that are outside of the DHCP range there should be no conflicts.

DD-WRT's "static DHCP" feature wouldn't help in this case anyway, if I understand the problem correctly.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 PM

After searching for a way to extend my network from my Verizon FIOS router (upstairs) to my first floor family room, I came across this forum. I "think" it solves some problems but wanted to check with the experts...

I have bid on some Actiontec MI424WR routers rev's D and F (it does not seem to matter what revision) in hopes of gaining two of them for my home. Here is what I am going to do:

1. Install one as described in this forum in the family room (there is NO WAY to run ethernet cables), where it will replace my currently wireless PS3, HTPC and Wii devices that connect to my TV.
2. Install one at the other end of the second floor in my sons room for his PC, laptop and xbox. The wireless signal there is not sufficient and MoCA is easier than climbing in the attic and running cat-5/6 cables in the wall.

Here is my question... I have purchased a Linksys E2000 wireless N router with Gigabit Ethernet ports. I was going to install this router as a switch using instructions from DSLReports.com. This should give me greater wireless range for our laptops and other wireless devices and for connecting the "local" devices to the home server. I am wondering if, by installing this secondary router into my network, will I have any issues using the bridged actiontecs and their MoCA capabilities as described in this thread?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hutch
Old 01-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashutch View Post

After searching for a way to extend my network from my Verizon FIOS router (upstairs) to my first floor family room, I came across this forum. I "think" it solves some problems but wanted to check with the experts...

I have bid on some Actiontec MI424WR routers rev's D and F (it does not seem to matter what revision) in hopes of gaining two of them for my home. Here is what I am going to do:

1. Install one as described in this forum in the family room (there is NO WAY to run ethernet cables), where it will replace my currently wireless PS3, HTPC and Wii devices that connect to my TV.
2. Install one at the other end of the second floor in my sons room for his PC, laptop and xbox. The wireless signal there is not sufficient and MoCA is easier than climbing in the attic and running cat-5/6 cables in the wall.

Here is my question... I have purchased a Linksys E2000 wireless N router with Gigabit Ethernet ports. I was going to install this router as a switch using instructions from DSLReports.com. This should give me greater wireless range for our laptops and other wireless devices and for connecting the "local" devices to the home server. I am wondering if, by installing this secondary router into my network, will I have any issues using the bridged actiontecs and their MoCA capabilities as described in this thread?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hutch

Hey Hutch. Great question! I was also thinking of adding a Gigabit Router as a switch to my primary Actiontec router. If it works, I was thinking of adding a second Gigabit Router as a switch to my secondary Actiontec router to see if I could max out the MOCA speeds above the 100Mbps limitation of the Actiontecs (in hopes of fixing 1080P video stuttering). I have not seen one mention of anyone doing this on this thread, which leads me to believe it would not work, since most of the guys on here seem really smart and would have already thought of this.....but let's see what the experts say
Old 01-11-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful72 View Post

Hey Hutch. Great question! I was also thinking of adding a Gigabit Router as a switch to my primary Actiontec router. If it works, I was thinking of adding a second Gigabit Router as a switch to my secondary Actiontec router to see if I could max out the MOCA speeds above the 100Mbps limitation of the Actiontecs (in hopes of fixing 1080P video stuttering). I have not seen one mention of anyone doing this on this thread, which leads me to believe it would not work, since most of the guys on here seem really smart and would have already thought of this.....but let's see what the experts say

I don't see how that could work, since you'd have to plug in the gigabit switch into one of the 100Mb ports on the Actiontec.

I do 1080p video streaming (Blu-ray rips) over MOCA with no stutters. Two Actiontec RevA's.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashutch View Post

I assume you're talking about using it as a Wireless Access Point as opposed to a router? It should work just fine.

I have two Linksys WRT54Gs, one plugged into each Actiontec. One of them is my primary router (WAN port goes to cable modem); the other is just a WAP. That way I have a good wireless signal at both ends of the house. (And then I have two more WRT54Gs to cover the middle of the house using WDS, but that's another story.)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the answers guys. I will install the Linksys as a WAP off of the actiontec upstairs and see what type of coverage I get. If it is not a great improvement, it sounds like I can install another in the family room off of the Actiontec there and it should cover everything.

Hutch
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 AM

I currently have cable just for internet (no tv). My setup is the outside cable drop feeds into a 2-way splitter that feeds my basement and upstairs office. In the upstairs office, I have a 2-way splitter that feeds the cable modem (that then goes into my router) and actiontec mi424wr (used solely for moca no routing functions). In the basement, the cable feeds a motorola nim100 that then goes into my htpc. I get painfully low throughput and would like to improve it. I plan on adding a poe filter outside, before the first splitter to see that helps. Would using a diplexer instead of a 2-way splitter in the upstairs office help as well? If so, I connect the sat (higher freq) portion to the actiontec and the other port (lower freq) to the cable modem, correct?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 PM

Ordered a moca splitter (2-way splitter with moca filter built in). While waiting for it I did some tests. As described in my last post, my outside cable drop feeds a two-way splitter that goes to my office and my basement. In the office, I have a 15dB amp (I forgot to mention this in my last post) feeding into one two-way splitter that goes to my cable modem and moca bridge. I had to install the amp in order for the cable modem to get a strong enough signal. In my basement i have my moca bridge directly connected to the wall.

Test 1 - Current setup (with amp and splitter)
cable modem levels:
receive: 8.4 dBmV
transmit: 50.0 dbmV
moca throughput (1 GB and 12 GB file transfer):
avg: 6.9 MB/s

Test 2 - No amp, just current splitter
cable modem levels:
receive: -6.7 dBmV (not strong enough for the modem to sync with cable co)
transmit: 57.0 dBmV
avg: 9.5 MB/s

Test 3 - No amp, diplexer (dug out an old motorola one from my voom box)
cable modem levels:
receive: -1.9 dBmV (it is strong enough to sync with cable co)
transmit: 46 dBmV
avg: 9.5 MB/s
I also tested with some 1080p Blu-rays and can stream some of them with no stuttering, others have stuttering. 1080p mkvs are fine.

So it looks like the amp was causing problems with the moca. I suppose I could reinsert the amp between the diplexer and cable modem, but since the signal is strong enough, I'm not going to bother.

Will post another test when my moca splitter comes in.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor17 View Post

So it looks like the amp was causing problems with the moca. I suppose I could reinsert the amp between the diplexer and cable modem, but since the signal is strong enough, I'm not going to bother.

Will post another test when my moca splitter comes in.

Thanks for the info - look forward to your next results.

Just to clarify - in test #1 your amp is at the POE?

Thanks,
xnappo
Old 01-26-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Thanks for the info - look forward to your next results.

Just to clarify - in test #1 your amp is at the POE?

Thanks,
xnappo

In Test #1, the amp was in the office, between the wall and the splitter.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Good morning,
I've got two of the Netgear units and they work great.
I would like to add one or two more, but not sure how to go about this.

Since I have one of the two original units connected to the cable modem, do I just install other MoCA units where I need them? Not even sure I'm asking the question correctly.

Basically, since the MoCA network is already operational in two areas, is it just as easy as connecting another MoCA unit to a terminated coax outlet?

Apologies for squeezing into the Actiontec thread, just can't find any info on the Netgear site or elsewhere. Hoping since the technology is the same...

Thanks for the time and help,
Skid

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid71 View Post

Basically, since the MoCA network is already operational in two areas, is it just as easy as connecting another MoCA unit to a terminated coax outlet?

Apologies for squeezing into the Actiontec thread, just can't find any info on the Netgear site or elsewhere. Hoping since the technology is the same...

Thanks for the time and help,
Skid

Yep - it is just that easy.

We would appreciate some transfer speed tests if you can provide them.. Similar to the post 4 up.

xnappo
Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor17 View Post

In Test #1, the amp was in the office, between the wall and the splitter.

Oh - that won't work well at all! In fact I am surprised it worked as well as it did. Amps do not have a good return path for anything, and even those designed to provide a return path are only for <50Mhz.

If you need to use an amp, then yes you need to put it on the other side of the splitter or at the POE.

xnappo
Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Yep - it is just that easy.

We would appreciate some transfer speed tests if you can provide them.. Similar to the post 3 up.

xnappo

No problem, can you give me a brief description on how to accomplish this xnappo? I wouldn't mind helping out at all.

Thanks for the help. I'm sitting here shaking my head. All I have to do is plug in another unit and I'm golden. I really thought I would have to jump through more hoops.

Skid

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid71 View Post

No problem, can you give me a brief description on how to accomplish this xnappo? I wouldn't mind helping out at all.

Thanks for the help. I'm sitting here shaking my head. All I have to do is plus in another unit and I'm golden. I really thought I would have to jump through more hoops.

Skid

Thor17 - can you describe your test method to Skid? It would be good to make sure it is apples to apples.

Thanks,
xnappo