post #1081 of 1223 Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by neks View Post

Hey Philnick thanks for your input. I'm going to open that TWC box that is outside my house this week end.
So I expect to find 2 or more splitters in there. I believe I have 6 coax outlet all over my 2-story house.
I wonder how I get a cable tv signal on outlets that won't allow a MoCa connection? If somebody has a minute to spare to teach me something, I'd appreciate some explanations.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks,
N

Simple: if two outlets each get cable TV but MoCA can't communicate between them, it means that they're either (1) on different feeds from the street or (2) there are too many cascaded splitters between them for a strong MoCA signal to make it through. That's why I suggested what I did.

Once you know which cables feed those two rooms, you can re-arrange the cabling in the box to put the two boxes you want MoCA to communicate between on the same last-level split rather than on different branches of the tree.

Also remember that a three (or more) jack splitter is actually a tree of splitters, not a flat horizontal split.

If there's an amplifier in the box, you should put the two MoCA locations on a cheap two-way splitter and connect that splitter to one of the amplifier's outputs.

-Phil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1223 Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here is an interesting one for you all...

I have FiOS in home and I wanted to put wifi in the front of my house so I connected an old Westell Verizon FiOS router. Turned everything off (DNS, DHCP) and it was acting as it should.. However, I am running the HDHR Prime and about once every hour, it would completely take the MoCA Actiontec down and then take the wireless network down of the westell.. Took a few minutes to reset itself and all was good for another hour.

This caused the HDHR Prime to lose signal to the media center in my living room.

The funny thing here is it was happening regularly, on the hour.. Every 50 past the hour, it would screw up.

Aside from getting a new router, what is the explanation for this?

And the other question, why all the sudden is WAN Coax flashing when it used to be solid? All I did was switch two actiontecs around. Can I reset the ONT and it will fix that kind of annoying to have another flashing light.

Just like to add..The westell had immense traffic on the lan connection even though there was NOTHING going through it. It's as if it mirrored the traffic on the actiontec
post #1083 of 1223 Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

New problem I need help with.

I've started using my MoCA connection not just for my theater's Roku and to do firmware updtes on my Blu-ray players, but also to play music on my upstairs PC's external firewire drive through my Oppo BDP-93, which can act as a UPNP/DLNA client.

The sound quality is as good as putting the files on a disk and playing it through the Oppo, which is reknowned for its audio quality.

But it's started occasionally - last night and once last week - stalling out in the middle of a song, and taking several minutes to resume unless I give it a kick by backing up and restarting the tune. Once this starts to happen, it tends to happen on every track!

I've tried rebooting my PC into a minimal configuration and promoting my server program, the very lightweight freeware oShare from SourceForge.net, to "RealTime" priority (generally reserved for the operating system's kernel and system tweak utilities), to no effect.

My suspicion has now focused on my LAN. I've been prospectin in the my Verizon FiOS Actiontecs' configuration screens looking for a timeout that might kick in when there's too little network traffic. The only thing I've changed so far is to change the protocol for the connection from Auto to 100 Full Duplex. Haven't tested that change out yet.

Anyone have any ideas?

I may try running a movie in my Roku as a "keep alive" trick!

post #1084 of 1223 Old 10-27-2012, 06:01 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasnickel View Post

Me and a buddy of mine also run this setup utilizing the MI424WR (rev F) routers to to take advantage of the existing coax cabling running through the house. We started experiencing the same problem (xbox not connecting to WMC) pretty much at the exact same time as you (first week of sept, I want to almost say the same day...very odd). I have 4 moca adapters (2 MI424WRs and 2 motorlolas) and more tvs than people so initially just moved some stuff around just to get my tv working. Finally decided a few days ago to see if I could figure out what was going on.
Long story short, my troubleshooting (which included some Wireshark examinations on the WMC PC) has lead me to believe 99.9% that it is something wrong with the MI424WR. My first successful attempt at getting the xbox back talking to the WMC PC was a simple hard reset of the router (hold reset button for 20 seconds). This worked when I tried it yesterday morning, however, upon my return from work in the evening (after about 8 hours), the xbox wouldn't connect to WMC once again.
Remember I had mentioned that I had 2 MI424WRs? Well curiously enough, a second xbox connected to the other MI424 has been working fine throughout this ordeal. (Oh and my WMC is connected to neither, it's actually connected via one of the motorolas). Comparing the two, one of the only noticeable setting differences (besides the disabled WAN/no DHCP) was the date/time setting. For whatever reason, the router that is not connected to the WAN, does not get it's time updated automagically (guess it doesn't connect to the Internet), and it's date was stuck back at 2007. Given the odd issues we all seem to have had around the same date, I'm guessing there may be something wrong in the firmware related to the date. So, as my last ditch "let me try this cuz I got nothing else" effort, I hard reset the router again, but this time deselected "automatic time update" so that the date/time doesn't get automatically updated. So far its been working for about the last 12 hours (longer than I was at work on the previous attempt). So it remains to be seen if this is truly a workaround.
So if you guys want to try, the basic steps for this fix were:
1) Hard reset the problematic MI424WR (with the power on, hold the reset button for 20 seconds, release)
2) Go into the advanced settings and uncheck automatic time update. (you probably want to do this before the router reconnects to the WAN, so you may want to leave the coax disconnected until you've completed the configuration, and i'm guessing the date just needs to be set sometime before sep 2012). I left the date set at its default (2007).
Keeping my fingers crossed that this works for good, although my guess is as good as any at this point. After this, based on what I saw in the network collects (mostly lack of UPNP traffic getting forwarded across the coax/ethernet bridge), I've got no other ideas. But what I do know is there is definitely something wrong in these routers, most likely the firmware, that Actiontec needs to address.

You have no idea how many hours I've spent on this issue. I honestly thought I was the only one having this problem. Like others, I've been using a MI424WR router (Rev. F, Gen2) with FIOS to stream WMP12 content to my PS3. I tried to do it a few days ago and noticed that my PS3 couldn't see my desktop's media server, nor could my desktop see my PS3. Incidentally, my PS3 and netbook were able to see each other just fine. I figured there was some type of AP isolation going on since my desktop is connected via ethernet and the PS3/netbook are connected via wireless, though I thought that was strange since I had no issues in early Sept. After some digging, I found out that wasn't case because the router doesn't have an AP isolation setting (if it does I definitely didn't find it). Did some more digging and I found out that my PC couldn't see my Samsung Captivate either, leading me to believe that something was blocking my PC's media server from broadcasting to the rest of the [wireless] network. At that point, I figured the culprit had to be the router because I had just done a clean install and already ran through testing with Windows Firewall disabled.

Despite knowing all of that, and screwing around with the router for hours, I got absolutely nowhere. I have no idea who programmed this firmware, but the fact that something as simple as a date caused this problem is baffling to me. In any event, my problem is fixed. Thanks for the solution!
post #1085 of 1223 Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys, Philnick,

I haven't followed up as I should have because I'm actually going to move to a new house within 4 weeks so I didn't bother...

I still looked at my outdoor cable splitter box a couple of weeks ago by curiosity and it got me a little more puzzled.

Basically what I have is a main cable source (orange cable in the pictures) going to a splitter where one way goes a different cable provider box, and the other goes to what looks like an ethernet switch but for coax cables (pardon my lack of technical knowledge)

Both the splitter and the "switch" show frequency ranges that don't go over 1000MHz. Could that be why the moca signal is inexisting inside the house as it's set to 1150MHz?

Overall view

details of first splitter

details of the "switch"

Like I said, I'm moving soon so it's not important to me per se, but I thought my case could help somebody else.
post #1086 of 1223 Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The box you're calling a switch is an amplifier with a tree of splitters as its outputs. The second tap off the initial two-way splitter may go to an other customer's amp.

My prior advice stands. Disconnect one of the outputs from the amplifier and see which room stops getting service. Re-connect that one and do the same with the next. Make a list as you go, until you've found which cables from the amplifier feed each of the two rooms you want to connect via MOCA.

Get the cheapest 2-way splitter you can find - remember that MOCA works via leakage across a splitter, so those advertised as having great isolation are exactly what you don't want. Connect that to either of the two amplifier outputs you've found was feeding either of those two rooms. Connect the cable that was on that output to one output of the 2-way, and connect the cable that feeds the other room to the other output of the 2-way. Your MOCA connection should now work.

For extra-credit, you could try to find a cap for the now-exposed output,

-Phil

post #1087 of 1223 Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Update:

It's now a full month since I grounded my coax network by running a wire from the ground terminal on the upstairs diplexer to one of the ground holes in the nearest power strip - and the connection from the first Actiontec to my old Linksys router that had been going down every five days, forcing me to power cycle the Linksys to dispel a static charge on that Ethernet jack, has been rock-solid ever since.

My playing of music off my upstairs computer over the LAN through my Oppo Blu-ray player has also been rock solid - it had developed a habit of occasionally hanging up a few minutes into a track - after I cruised through every menu in both my Actiontecs and Linksys and disabled every setting that seemed to have some sort of time-out, and gave the MOCA connection and the Oppo and Roku priority on the LAN.

Don't know if I mentioned it here, but I got myself a small LCD screen (marketed to let rear-seat passengers watch DVDs on a long trip) and connected it to the RCA "composite video" output of the Oppo to save the life of my projector (bulbs cost over $300 to replace), keep my listening room cool while just playing music by not having the projector heat up the room, and to allow me to listen in full darkness (it toggles on and off quickly and doesn't interrupt the music while doing so). Since it turned out to have two composite inputs, I connected my Roku to the other, so I can use it to choose an internet radio station to listen to. I've installed a freebie "weather station" screen blanker that a fellow wrote for the Roku, so when it's idling I can use it for that.

I call it my "music dashboard." Highly recommended!

-Phil

post #1088 of 1223 Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am going to try this as I have two of these from getting Verizon FIOS installed. I need a run to my master bedroom upstairs and the kids playroom so I will test it with one of them with the wdtv live plus as I have had some issues in the past with running this on wireless N. Maybe doing the MoCA will help. Hopefully I can give this a try this weekend. I already tested the 1st part by setting both up and connecting them with a coaxial cable and that part worked. Next part is connecting one off the main router/coaxial and then the other off the bedroom coaxial.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1089 of 1223 Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 PM

Liked: 11
Hey I setup my moca network back in 2010. Thank you for the guide. It was great having my xbox connected to the internet via the living room. Now I have installed a nas to stream hd content to my raspberry pi. However, uploading/backing up content from my computer from (actiontec router1) to the living room (actiontec router2) nas is relatively slow. maxes out at about 6 MB/s. I'm currently using a moca splitter. But I'm not sure if it has a filter built in it already. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Splitter-Broadband-2-Output-RF-5-1200Mhz-MoCA-Enabling-/220516154847?pt=US_Signal_Amplifiers_Filters&hash=item3357c97ddf Should I get a moca poe filter for this? I was wondering what else I can do to boost the speed between the routers on my moca?
post #1090 of 1223 Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hello all- I'm hoping for some guidance.

I have been thinking about MOCA's for a few years now (and have been subscribed to this thread for about as long), but there is so much to digest.. I'm hoping I can briefly describe my situation and then ask some basic questions..

background:
I have a modest but 30yr old home with old rg59 through the most of it. We have a 4-yr-old addition that has rg6qs installed to the family room. House layout is kinda weird, so wifi from the cable modem + wireless router to the bedroom TIVO is pretty poor. I just recently installed a WindSurfer DIY parabola on one of my router antennas and my Tivo signal strength went from 37% to 60%.. Dramatic improvement, but still sometimes finicky. I would like a very nice and stable connection between my two Tivo's so that I can watch HD shows back and forth between them in each room. For the rest of the house, wireless coverage is now GREAT! with the windsurfer in place. But still not *QUITE* fast enough for Tivo-to-Tivo real-time MRV of HD recordings.. frown.gif

Sooooooo, I'm looking at two of the Actiontec MI424WR's to connect the bedroom tivo to the router directly (well, via MOCA)..

questions:
  1. For HD multi-room-viewing between TIVO's, I need something around 25-35Mbps (per this FAQ).. Is this target throughput for the MI424's (a) rare, (b) typical, (c) so easy it's child's play?
  2. Will the RG59 (as opposed to RG6QS in the addition) to the bedroom going to be detrimental to the MOCA performance?
  3. Am I crazy, or are there a plethora of MI424's on eBay now that sell for under $10? At that rate, I might as well buy a few and have spares available for guests when they come stay! (wired throughput rates in their bedroom???)
  4. I saw in the first post update that rev-A is discouraged. Are there any other updates to particularly look for or avoid when looking on eBay?
  5. I have seen talk about diplexers that split off the >1GHz signal to the MOCA and the <1GHZ signal to the TV and cable modem. Is digital cable not >1GHz? What are some recommended diplexers that are on-par (budget-wise) with the 424's? There are tons on Amazon for a few bucks a piece, do I need to be on the lookout for (or against) anything in particular??
  6. Are diplexers (a) sometimes necessary to isolate noise, (b) recommended in most installations, or (c) required for any kind of decently reliable performance?
  7. Regarding security of the MOCA routers; I understand I can set a "password" on the 424 for protection.. Is this AES, DES, or some other kind of encryption? Is it on par with wireless WPA/WPA2? Since this will be attached to my interior home network, I'm wanting to make sure there's no "weakest link" in the network where the cable enters the home that someone could easily use to jack into my network..

Hopefully these questions will be enough for me to get started in earnest..

thank you so much in advance!!
..dane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY guide using an Arduino

Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others

Help for those battling HDMI extension
post #1091 of 1223 Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahkz View Post

Hey I setup my moca network back in 2010. Thank you for the guide. It was great having my xbox connected to the internet via the living room. Now I have installed a nas to stream hd content to my raspberry pi. However, uploading/backing up content from my computer from (actiontec router1) to the living room (actiontec router2) nas is relatively slow. maxes out at about 6 MB/s. I'm currently using a moca splitter. But I'm not sure if it has a filter built in it already. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Splitter-Broadband-2-Output-RF-5-1200Mhz-MoCA-Enabling-/220516154847?pt=US_Signal_Amplifiers_Filters&hash=item3357c97ddf Should I get a moca poe filter for this? I was wondering what else I can do to boost the speed between the routers on my moca?

I just followed that link. I guess that splitter is listed as being MoCA-enabling because it is rated to pass a frequency band broad enough to include the MoCA range as well as the usual cable tv band.

Just the same, it's better to use diplexers. That splitter will give a little less than half of the combined cable tv and MoCA signals to each device (MoCA modem and cable tv equipment), each of which will ignore the part of the band it doesn't need - effectively wasting it.

On the other hand, a diplexer will give almost all of the cable tv signal to the cable tv equipment and almost all of the MoCA signal to the MoCA modem.

By not wasting half of each signal sending it to a device that doesn't need it, you almost double the strength of the usable part of the signal that each one gets.

Phil

post #1092 of 1223 Old 12-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

I just followed that link. I guess that splitter is listed as being MoCA-enabling because it is rated to pass a frequency band broad enough to include the MoCA range as well as the usual cable tv band.
Just the same, it's better to use diplexers. That splitter will give a little less than half of the combined cable tv and MoCA signals to each device (MoCA modem and cable tv equipment), each of which will ignore the part of the band it doesn't need - effectively wasting it.
On the other hand, a diplexer will give almost all of the cable tv signal to the cable tv equipment and almost all of the MoCA signal to the MoCA modem.
By not wasting half of each signal sending it to a device that doesn't need it, you almost double the strength of the usable part of the signal that each one gets.
Phil

ty phil for responding.
so if I get a diplexer, I will still need to get a moca filter to keep this extra strong signal from leaving my ont?
post #1093 of 1223 Old 12-16-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

I just followed that link. I guess that splitter is listed as being MOCA-enabling because it is rated to pass a frequency band broad enough to include the MOCA range as well as the usual cable tv band.
Just the same, it's better to use diplexers. That splitter will give a little less than half of the combined cable tv and MOCA signals to each device (MOCA modem and cable tv equipment), each of which will ignore the part of the band it doesn't need - effectively wasting it.
On the other hand, a diplexer will give almost all of the cable tv signal to the cable tv equipment and almost all of the MOCA signal to the MOCA modem.
Phil

Quote:

ty phil for responding.
so if I get a diplexer, I will still need to get a moca filter to keep this extra strong signal from leaving my ont?

There's no boosting of the MOCA signal by the diplexers (and thus no "extra strong signal") - just the avoidance of waste. A diplexer is just a splitter that includes a bandpass filter that sends the lower frequencies out one jack and the higher frequencies out the other - it looks just like any other splitter, except one of its output jacks is marked SAT (for "Satellite") because Satellite TV systems, unlike cable systems, use the same area above 1gHZ that MOCA uses. (This makes it tricky - if it's even possible - to get MOCA to coexist with a Satellite TV system - you'd have to find a frequency to put MOCA on that doesn't overlap with the Satellite signal.)

I wouldn't worry too much about the signal leaving your premises - first of all, you can set your MI424WR units to use encryption on the MOCA signal between them, and secondly, the more splitters the signal goes through, not to mention booster amps outside your place (which are unidirectional), the less and less likely it is that anyone could intercept your MOCA signal.

Phil

post #1094 of 1223 Old 12-21-2012, 05:48 PM

ok so I got the Holland dpd2 diplexer. It has 2 ports labeled, SAT and VHF/UHF. I connected my actiontec to SAT and my dvr to the VHF/UHF. Correct setup? Also I notice that the frequency is 40-2150 mhz. I've read somewhere that I should get a diplexer that goes low as 5 mhz. I want to get the Holland STVC which is 5-2050 mhz, however it has Power Passing to Satellite port which I heard is a no no to moca networks. Can anyone recommend a better diplexer if needed?
On a side note
I get good internet speeds and clear picture through this diplexer. However, sometimes the internet signal is lost and sometimes pages do not reload properlly. Also via lan, from another actiontec router from my bedroom, my pc drops the signal (cannot connect when ssh via putty) to the actiontec originally mentioned in the living room.
post #1095 of 1223 Old 12-22-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

ok so I got the Holland dpd2 diplexer. It has 2 ports labeled, SAT and VHF/UHF. I connected my actiontec to SAT and my dvr to the VHF/UHF. Correct setup? Also I notice that the frequency is 40-2150 mhz.

Yeah, that isn't going to work for you. Cable modems communicate upstream at 38Mhz, so you are choking it. You need a 5Mhz diplexer.

xnappo
post #1096 of 1223 Old 12-22-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well friends, it has been a good time - I have enjoyed our conversations and have learned a lot - but with this:

[EDIT] IMAGE BELOW IS FROM MY GIGE NETWORK NOT MOCA

[EDIT] IMAGE ABOVE IS FROM MY GIGE NETWORK NOT MOCA

I bid adieu. 4-5 hours in the attic and climbing up and down stairs, and I am now wired for GigE.

I still think MoCA is a good solution, but wish that 2.0 equipment had become available. After pondering how to wire my house for a while with Cat6, I finally took the plunge. If this isn't an option for you, I do still recommend MoCA.

I have a bunch of MoCA stuff sitting around now, so PM me.

I have:

1 rev d with antenna and power supply $30
2 rev d w/o antenna with power supply $30 (each) (SOLD!)
1 rev a w/o antenna with power supply $15

I have two diplexer I with throw in for $5 each with any of the above. Prices include shipping - PM if interested. I can pre-configure them if you would like.

xnappo

PS For obvious reasons I will not be shipping anything until Dec 26th
post #1097 of 1223 Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry to see you leave, xnappo, just as I'm getting into it! I'm sure many will miss your expertise. I will take a couple of your moca routers and diplexers, PM sent.. and as a result, most of my earlier questions are no longer applicable. However I'm still interested in the security aspect..

Namely, regarding security of the MI424WR moca routers; I understand I can set a "password" on them for protection.. Is this AES, DES, 3DES, or some other kind of encryption? Is it on par with wireless WPA/WPA2? Since this will be attached to my interior home network, I'm wanting to make sure there's no "weakest link" in the network where the cable enters the home that someone could easily use to jack into my network.. SHould I install some sort of "blackflow prevention" filter, or is a password moca at least as secure as a wpa2?

thanks!
..dane

post #1098 of 1223 Old 12-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, I see here that "MoCA supports the 56-bit DES standard." Not as strong as other options, but better than sending plain text..

..dane

post #1099 of 1223 Old 12-27-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

Okay, I see here that "MoCA supports the 56-bit DES standard." Not as strong as other options, but better than sending plain text..
..dane

If you have an amp at your POE, then it will totally block anything going out of your house. If you do not, then the encryption should be fine - but a MoCA filter would be a further option.

xnappo
post #1100 of 1223 Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Units arrived fast (yesterday) and well packed! Thanks xnappo! I'm opening the box now and sitting down to get started on things. I don't have an amp on my house (that I know of), we're in a 30yr+ old neighborhood. I do have cable TV, modem, and telephone service, so I know they have stuff going on to split out the telephone service before my CATV goes to my TV outlets.. Anyhoo, I'll be working with the standalone interconnect cable between the two units first as per the first page of this thread.. Very well written instructions, should go smoothly and quickly. Then we'll move on to the next part.

thanks again,
..dane

post #1101 of 1223 Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyhoo, I'll be working with the standalone interconnect cable between the two units first as per the first page of this thread.. Very well written instructions, should go smoothly and quickly. Then we'll move on to the next part.
thanks again,
..dane

Great - let me know if you run into any issues.

xnappo
post #1102 of 1223 Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Great - let me know if you run into any issues.
xnappo

None so far! Going through the local coax connection between the two through my router now. As my kid would say, "easy peasy lemon squeezy!"

I was thinking about enabling the wireless portion of the far end actiontec, but see that it only has WEP. My network uses WPA and I was going to use the same SSID with the same key and just different channels to let the devices around the house channel-hop. With the different wireless encryption technique, that won't be possible. No problem. Wasn't a requirement of the setup, it just would have been a nice secondary benefit.

I'm assuming models newer than rev-D probably support WPA..

I also need to go find where the encryption password is located, then I'll hook them through the cable system with the diplexors and see what happens. smile.gif

cheers,
..dane

post #1103 of 1223 Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Just ran iperf to my own localhost and then to another laptop.. two actiontec's are connected with a ~10' coax (not sure rg6 or rg59.. just a piece out of the garage.. but at this length it shouldn't matter), each laptop connected to different actiontecs, and one of the actiontecs is also connected to the cable modem router for internet access. Disconnecting the cable modem rounter doesn't affect anything (didn't think it would).. The two actiontecs were factory reset then setup using the steps in the first post.. nothing else special or different was done to them. Oh yes, they're also both rev-D's (from xnappo)..

laptop A to localhost hit 718Mbps, laptop B to loclahost hits over 2Gbps, but laptop A to laptop B through the actiontec hits less than 10Mbps:

Code:
C:\Program Files\iperf>iperf.exe -c 192.168.1.5 -i 10 -t 60
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.1.5, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 64.0 KByte (default)
[  3] local 192.168.1.6 port 3175 connected with 192.168.1.5 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  6.62 MBytes  5.56 Mbits/sec
[  3] 10.0-20.0 sec  7.00 MBytes  5.87 Mbits/sec
[  3] 20.0-30.0 sec  5.50 MBytes  4.61 Mbits/sec
[  3] 30.0-40.0 sec  7.00 MBytes  5.87 Mbits/sec
[  3] 40.0-50.0 sec  4.75 MBytes  3.98 Mbits/sec
[  3] 50.0-60.0 sec  5.62 MBytes  4.72 Mbits/sec
[  3]  0.0-60.2 sec  36.6 MBytes  5.10 Mbits/sec

EDIT-1: Encryption is enabled (but the same results occur when disabled), and the COAX CONNECTION STATS report within the actiontecs indicate that Router to Device 1 is 240Mbps and that Device1 to Router is 241Mbps. It is currently setup on Channel 1 (1150MHz), but as I said, it's a single isolated cable between them, nothing else going on..

EDIT-2: Hmmm, invoking a bidirectional test shows this interesting result:
Code:
C:\Program Files\iperf>iperf.exe -c 192.168.1.5 -i 2 -t 300 -d
Client connecting to 192.168.1.5, TCP port 5001
[  3] local 192.168.1.6 port 1836 connected with 192.168.1.5 port 5001
Server listening on TCP port 5001
[  5] local 192.168.1.5 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.6 port 55172
[  5]  0.0- 2.0 sec  15.0 MBytes  62.9 Mbits/sec
[  3]  0.0- 2.0 sec  1.12 MBytes  4.72 Mbits/sec
[  5]  2.0- 4.0 sec  15.0 MBytes  62.9 Mbits/sec
[  3]  2.0- 4.0 sec  1.38 MBytes  5.77 Mbits/sec
[  5]  4.0- 6.0 sec  15.1 MBytes  63.4 Mbits/sec
[  3]  4.0- 6.0 sec  1.12 MBytes  4.72 Mbits/sec
[  5]  6.0- 8.0 sec  15.2 MBytes  63.7 Mbits/sec
[  3]  6.0- 8.0 sec  1.00 MBytes  4.19 Mbits/sec

So it seems that one direction runs around 60Mbps, the other around a tenth of that. Is that my laptops, or the actiontecs, or something else? I will try to swap the actiontecs and report back..

EDIT-3: Okay, so swapping the two actiontecs did not change anything; the [5] direction is still 60Mbps, the [3] direction is still 5Mbps. So it seems this issue must be related to one or both of the laptops rather than the actiontecs. If it were the actiontecs I would have assumed that the [3] and [5] speeds would have swapped to follow the actiontecs..

I will move ahead with connecting to the house and report back..

Any ideas?
..dane

post #1104 of 1223 Old 01-01-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Encryption is enabled (but the same results occur when disabled), and the COAX CONNECTION STATS report within the actiontecs indicate that Router to Device 1 is 240Mbps and that Device1 to Router is 241Mbps. It is currently setup on Channel 1 (1150MHz), but as I said, it's a single isolated cable between them, nothing else going on..
Any ideas?
..dane

You should see much better using a bigger window size. Try -w 5000.

xnappo
post #1105 of 1223 Old 01-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You should see much better using a bigger window size. Try -w 5000.
xnappo

You mean within iperf, or some setting within the actiontecs? If within iperf, it drastically killed it (both directions)
Code:
C:\Program Files\iperf>iperf -c 192.168.1.5 -d -w 5000
[  5]  0.0-10.2 sec  10.9 MBytes  8.90 Mbits/sec
[  4]  0.0-10.3 sec   512 KBytes   408 Kbits/sec

..dane

post #1106 of 1223 Old 01-01-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean within iperf, or some setting within the actiontecs? If within iperf, it drastically killed it (both directions)
Code:
C:\Program Files\iperf>iperf -c 192.168.1.5 -d -w 5000
[  5]  0.0-10.2 sec  10.9 MBytes  8.90 Mbits/sec
[  4]  0.0-10.3 sec   512 KBytes   408 Kbits/sec
..dane

Hrm - that is definitely not right. Do you have another computer you can test with? Did you try swapping ethernet cables too? I know it is unlikely, but...

xnappo
post #1107 of 1223 Old 01-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hrm - that is definitely not right. Do you have another computer you can test with? Did you try swapping ethernet cables too? I know it is unlikely, but...
xnappo

Hmm, that's an interesting thought.. TX and RX are different pairs of the cable. I don't have too many spares around the house right now, but can bring a few home from work tomorrow and see. I've gone and wired in one of them to the house catv service, and adjusted my cable routing to run through the diplexer first then the 1:4 splitter to the cable modem, tv, and tivo, with a terminator on the 4th output. I'm off to hook up the other one at the other tivo location and re-run the iperf tests.

One question I had is that you posted a diagram earlier indicating you were getting "bottlenecks" (ha!) at around 850Mbps.. but when I looked at the coax stats within the actiontec it was only showing 240Mbps when direct connected between a 10' of coax. Is something really off here? Did you tweak your actiontec settings beyond your first posts' suggestion?

I only need around 35 for my needs, so that's not a worry at this time. But long term if I want more, I'm curious if I'll be hitting an upper limit of 240Mbps?

EDIT-- hooking them up between their respective two final locations, the link between them drop from 240u/241d Mbps to 196u/213d Mbps ("up" and "down" arbitrarily picked to provide reference between the direction of data between the two routers). I expected a drop, and 196Mbps is still far more than I need for my Tivo's. But again I'm just curious what this actually means long-term..

thanks,
..dane

post #1108 of 1223 Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One question I had is that you posted a diagram earlier indicating you were getting "bottlenecks" (ha!) at around 850Mbps.. but when I looked at the coax stats within the actiontec it was only showing 240Mbps when direct connected between a 10' of coax. Is something really off here? Did you tweak your actiontec settings beyond your first posts' suggestion?

..dane

Err - sorry for any confusion with that image was from after I hardwired with Cat6 smile.gif

With the Actiontecs you should be getting around 70Mbps with a 5k window size...

xnappo
post #1109 of 1223 Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Err - sorry for any confusion with that image was from after I hardwired with Cat6 smile.gif
With the Actiontecs you should be getting around 70Mbps with a 5k window size...
xnappo

Ahhh, well that makes SOOO much more sense! Okay, 70Mbps is the upper target limit with moca. Now that you say that I seem to recall reading that a while back.. Duhhh, forgetful me. Yes, very good. Thank you. I don't have any other laptops available. I may be able to borrow one, but I'm not sure. The laptops both have both ethernet and wired, but I'm not sure I could easily pull off using both links on the same network. That's okay, I'll fiddle around with it some more..

By the way, what, then, does the ~200Mbps link in the coax status mean, if moca itself cannot pass higher than around 70Mbps? My first guess is that part of the translation process requires a higher bandwidth between the two over coax.. So if a 240Mbps link yields my 63Mbps ethernet link, then with a 200Mbps link I should expect a drop of around the same percentage throughput.. I'll go try to run some more tests and see..

thanks,
..dane

post #1110 of 1223 Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Using a 10' piece of direct coax:
Code:
[  5]  0.0- 2.0 sec  15.0 MBytes  62.9 Mbits/sec
[  3]  0.0- 2.0 sec  1.12 MBytes  4.72 Mbits/sec

Using the house wiring:
Code:
[  5]  0.0-10.1 sec  72.5 MBytes  60.1 Mbits/sec
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  6.00 MBytes  5.02 Mbits/sec

At least it's consistent, and the house wiring (with diplexers) is working beautifully!

Now to hook up the Tivo and see what happens transferring an HD recording.. biggrin.gif

I will continue to work on the u/d link differences in iperf. fwiw, I'm using "iperf-2.05-cygwin" which is a build of 2.0.5 for windows using, obviously, cygwin. I don't know if that's what version you normally recommend, but we're all windows here. I have some unix boot usb's that I could use if absolutely necessary, but if I can truely get >40Mbps each way and the iperf thing is a fluke with my laptop measuring tools, then I'm happy! This build of iperf 2.0.5 could also be the difference in the window size issue-- again, if that's not the one you typically run.

thanks again, xnappo!
..dane

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page