Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 1223 Old 07-12-2009, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I already talked about that the netbook was the limitation... the last test I did was on a quad core with 4 GB of ram that I already stream HD movies to over Gigabit ethernet from my meda server with no issues. Using in the same location, same movies, same player BUT the only difference is that MoCA is now the medium I cant stream my HD movies without them stuttering...

MoCA in theory should have enough bandwidth (175 Mb/s per the spec), same latency, etc. but I am not seeing this - which could be due to the distance and number of splitters... OR interference from the other Verizon STBs on the network. Keep in mind for browsing the web, playing music, pictures even streaming a DVD I did not have an issue... but it choked on my HD movies - my HD movies are Blurays which I remuxed the video H.264/VC1/MPEG2 and rerendered/remuxed Audio TrueHD, DTS-MA, DTS-HD into a MKV container... I also have remuxed M2TS container files with original video and original audio.... again.. no issues with the above system and ethernet... using Moca (unplug one ethernet cable for the other) bam! Stuuttteerrrrring... On and off though so I will be honest... H.264 little issues VC1 forget it... cant watch it... VC1 is very intenstive...

You may be asking why I am venturing down this road.. well the 2nd floor of my house is wired for Gigabit which I spent the time wiring... currently my upstairs rooms have HTPCs (mixutre of quad and dual core machines)... my 1st floor I have nothing just wireless... (My 1st floor movie TV is only 1080i so is a waste right now) but I am planning on finally pulling the trigger to get a larger 1080p TV for the first floor... My den is not directly located under the main house there for I will need to do some trickery to run the Ethernet cable... so I figured an alternate technology could help me here.. Powerline, N Wireless, etc... NOTHING has worked so far with streaming HD content (and dont believe the bull about N.. even on the same floor in the same room it barely works - again VC1 it chokes) ... MoCA seemed promising and based on my testing (with out the netbook) is definitely the fastest... but unfortunately can not handle streaming HD video... Unaltered.. What your cable companies send you is no where near the type of video stream I am sending.. your lucky if their streaming 5 - 10 Mbs of highly compressed (recompressed actually) video streams... Original blueray streams need at least 45 Mb/s with very little jitter and little latency....

So far using the above link in a previous post I am getting about 8 - 9ms of latency which is fine and dont believe I was successful in measuring Jitter.. it wasn't even posting and I cant believe I have 0ms of jitter.. I might have been doing something wrong...

PS... Im a computer architect... I dont have experience with MoCA and would like to contrast its characteristics with Fast Ethernet for streaming unaltered hd content. I believe QoS could help me but need to better understand how this implemented on the Actiontech router and if it will make a difference as this is now bridged and no longer a router... PLUS I do not want to disrupt my FIOS service..

Anyway... Like I said I need a MoCA expert...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht View Post

Are you streaming to a netbook? They haven't a whole lot of processing power to spare, if it's doing the decode in software entirely then that plus the overhead of getting data over the network may be just a hair too much. If it plays fine from local storage on the netbook then it just may be that you're so close to maxing out the processor time just playing the video there isn't enough to handle network IO. Considering the differences in transferring 1 vs several files I suspect the network drivers / hardware on the netbook may be your limitation.

Really not going to be a problem. Assuming even if you had a 50mbit FiOS connection, fully saturated with a slew of DVRs doing VOD/PPV at once, you'd still have over 50mbit in raw bandwidth left in MoCA - MoCA can handle more data than the 100Base-T Ethernet a MoCA bridge would be limited to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1223 Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

I already talked about that the netbook was the limitation... the last test I did was on a quad core with 4 GB of ram that I already stream HD movies to over Gigabit ethernet from my meda server with no issues. Using in the same location, same movies, same player BUT the only difference is that MoCA is now the medium I cant stream my HD movies without them stuttering...

OK, I wasn't sure from your previous posts if you were still using the netbook or not. Yeah, the PC shouldn't be the limit then.

Quote:

MoCA in theory should have enough bandwidth (175 Mb/s per the spec), same latency, etc. but I am not seeing this - which could be due to the distance and number of splitters... OR interference from the other Verizon STBs on the network.

MoCA does introduce a few ms of latency (switching from MoCA for the broadband interface at the ONT to Ethernet has a noticible impact in some games). However I wouldn't think it would impact it enough by itself to keep you from streaming HD content. How many STBs do you have in your house ? Other STBs shouldn't interfere but if they are actively receiving data obviously the total available bandwidth goes down and the latencies may go up.

Quote:

Keep in mind for browsing the web, playing music, pictures even streaming a DVD I did not have an issue... but it choked on my HD movies - my HD movies are Blurays which I remuxed the video H.264/VC1/MPEG2 and rerendered/remuxed Audio TrueHD, DTS-MA, DTS-HD into a MKV container... I also have remuxed M2TS container files with original video and original audio.... again.. no issues with the above system and ethernet... using Moca (unplug one ethernet cable for the other) bam! Stuuttteerrrrring... On and off though so I will be honest... H.264 little issues VC1 forget it... cant watch it... VC1 is very intenstive...

I see you tried a bunch of different playback software, so I doubt this is the case, but I wonder if the file IO is being done with small enough blocks that the quantity of requests per second and the small latency increase might be enough to be an issue.

Quote:

You may be asking why I am venturing down this road.. well the 2nd floor of my house is wired for Gigabit which I spent the time wiring... currently my upstairs rooms have HTPCs (mixutre of quad and dual core machines)... my 1st floor I have nothing just wireless... (My 1st floor movie TV is only 1080i so is a waste right now) but I am planning on finally pulling the trigger to get a larger 1080p TV for the first floor... My den is not directly located under the main house there for I will need to do some trickery to run the Ethernet cable... so I figured an alternate technology could help me here.. Powerline, N Wireless, etc... NOTHING has worked so far with streaming HD content (and dont believe the bull about N.. even on the same floor in the same room it barely works - again VC1 it chokes) ... MoCA seemed promising and based on my testing (with out the netbook) is definitely the fastest... but unfortunately can not handle streaming HD video... Unaltered.. What your cable companies send you is no where near the type of video stream I am sending.. your lucky if their streaming 5 - 10 Mbs of highly compressed (recompressed actually) video streams... Original blueray streams need at least 45 Mb/s with very little jitter and little latency....

So far using the above link in a previous post I am getting about 8 - 9ms of latency which is fine and dont believe I was successful in measuring Jitter.. it wasn't even posting and I cant believe I have 0ms of jitter.. I might have been doing something wrong...

PS... Im a computer architect... I dont have experience with MoCA and would like to contrast its characteristics with Fast Ethernet for streaming unaltered hd content. I believe QoS could help me but need to better understand how this implemented on the Actiontech router and if it will make a difference as this is now bridged and no longer a router... PLUS I do not want to disrupt my FIOS service..

Anyway... Like I said I need a MoCA expert...

Yeah, 8-9ms of latency is nothing to worry about on it's own, but if the data was being requested in small chunks rather than large ones the 8-9ms could add up per request. And yes, I realize that the cable company streams are much smaller (hence why I said you'd need a 'slew' of DVR's doing VOD/PPV at once to even saturate the FiOS link). Certainly the raw bandwidth is there... I doubt QoS is going to help unless you were streaming with other active streams for the DVRs at the same time.

Something that does occur to me, from having recently done some more googling, apparently MoCA splits up the available spectrum in the range it operates into 50Mhz channels and will then work around whatever is used by the existing cable channels, so perhaps there isn't actually 175Mbit/s of bandwidth available in the unused channels, and instead is far less ? Even so, you've tested it at 65Mbit/s which should handle your HD streaming needs just fine.

At this point the only thing I can guess you could try would maybe be to switch out the Actiontec for a Motorola NIM100 off ebay. They used to go for $30 but seems to be over twice that now. The NIM100 is a simple MoCA / Ethernet bridge (additionally it has an RF pass through so you can possibly eliminate a T by just placing it in the middle of where the T was). Not sure if traffic passing through the MoCA port on the Actiontec has to traverse the routing table or not, but the Actiontec was never exactly a high performance router (due to it's firmware, really, the hardware itself is awesome). I run a NIM100 to bridge the FiOS DVR into my network behind my DD WRT'd Linksys router.

I doubt we're likely to find anyone who claims to be a MoCA expert, for one thing apparently there's only one chipset manufacturer and it's almost universally deployed by FiOS and nobody else really yet. Certainly the limits of Verizon techs in diagnosing problems is going to be swapping components out and making sure the cables / etc are good, it's not like they're going to be doing speed tests and optomizing the MoCA for streaming 45mbit Blu-Ray remuxes.

If it's not the Actiontec slowing things down then it's probably just not enough consistently free channels in the wire for the necessary speed. Perhaps try bypassing the real coax network and just run a long coax from Actiontec to the router ? If that works fine then we can suspect it's interference from cable channels or just noise in the coax ..
post #93 of 1223 Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I have 3 STBs. I havent tried this yet but I was curious to see if I unplugged all of them if this would have an effect. No issues playing games... I received no lag at all. HD content is very sensitive to network quality unfortunately - especially relatively uncompressed video.

My next steps:

1. Packets are prioritized using QoS to the STBs - FIOS constantly does updates and pings the STBs. Since I am running over the same lan this could disrupt video/audio - Ideally I would like to put this on a separate VLAN but most likely not be possible going through the same modem. If I could create another VLAN then bridge that VLAN that should from a TCP/IP perspective shield me from STB chatter.

2. See if there is noise in the line.. Not too much I can do here other then put chokes on all my lines or line filters.. I agree.. I can run COAX from one to another to test to see if its the modems or the internal wiring of my house. My house was wired up only a couple of years ago with RG6 but honestly one of my splitters is starting to go... I will try to replace the main splitter and the one in between to see if that helps.

The NIM100 are now going for $65 and higher.. I could just easily purchase another one of the actiontechs and bridge that one and achieve a separate vlan that way... Im already invested $37... I honestly dont want to invest any more into the idea at this point other then chaning out some splitters. If that doesnt work then im going to go with running CAT6 and be done with it... I can say MoCA is great under 99% of conditions but this experience tells me that it cant replace a well run ethernet network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht View Post

OK, I wasn't sure from your previous posts if you were still using the netbook or not. Yeah, the PC shouldn't be the limit then.

MoCA does introduce a few ms of latency (switching from MoCA for the broadband interface at the ONT to Ethernet has a noticible impact in some games). However I wouldn't think it would impact it enough by itself to keep you from streaming HD content. How many STBs do you have in your house ? Other STBs shouldn't interfere but if they are actively receiving data obviously the total available bandwidth goes down and the latencies may go up.

I see you tried a bunch of different playback software, so I doubt this is the case, but I wonder if the file IO is being done with small enough blocks that the quantity of requests per second and the small latency increase might be enough to be an issue.

Yeah, 8-9ms of latency is nothing to worry about on it's own, but if the data was being requested in small chunks rather than large ones the 8-9ms could add up per request. And yes, I realize that the cable company streams are much smaller (hence why I said you'd need a 'slew' of DVR's doing VOD/PPV at once to even saturate the FiOS link). Certainly the raw bandwidth is there... I doubt QoS is going to help unless you were streaming with other active streams for the DVRs at the same time.

Something that does occur to me, from having recently done some more googling, apparently MoCA splits up the available spectrum in the range it operates into 50Mhz channels and will then work around whatever is used by the existing cable channels, so perhaps there isn't actually 175Mbit/s of bandwidth available in the unused channels, and instead is far less ? Even so, you've tested it at 65Mbit/s which should handle your HD streaming needs just fine.

At this point the only thing I can guess you could try would maybe be to switch out the Actiontec for a Motorola NIM100 off ebay. They used to go for $30 but seems to be over twice that now. The NIM100 is a simple MoCA / Ethernet bridge (additionally it has an RF pass through so you can possibly eliminate a T by just placing it in the middle of where the T was). Not sure if traffic passing through the MoCA port on the Actiontec has to traverse the routing table or not, but the Actiontec was never exactly a high performance router (due to it's firmware, really, the hardware itself is awesome). I run a NIM100 to bridge the FiOS DVR into my network behind my DD WRT'd Linksys router.

I doubt we're likely to find anyone who claims to be a MoCA expert, for one thing apparently there's only one chipset manufacturer and it's almost universally deployed by FiOS and nobody else really yet. Certainly the limits of Verizon techs in diagnosing problems is going to be swapping components out and making sure the cables / etc are good, it's not like they're going to be doing speed tests and optomizing the MoCA for streaming 45mbit Blu-Ray remuxes.

If it's not the Actiontec slowing things down then it's probably just not enough consistently free channels in the wire for the necessary speed. Perhaps try bypassing the real coax network and just run a long coax from Actiontec to the router ? If that works fine then we can suspect it's interference from cable channels or just noise in the coax ..

post #94 of 1223 Old 07-13-2009, 07:52 AM

Looks like the e-bay actiontecs are now going for ~$50.
post #95 of 1223 Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKat View Post

Looks like the e-bay actiontecs are now going for ~$50.

They come and go. There are a few our there for $30-$35 right now. This one is a good deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Verizon-Actionte...3A1%7C294%3A50

Of course there is always the guy selling 10 for $225
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-ACTIONTEC-MI4...3286.m20.l1116

And he says 5 available! So he has 50 of them at least!

I think there have been a lot of these things out in the field - so hopefully they won't dry up quite as fast at the NIMs.

xnappo
post #96 of 1223 Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 PM

I sent him a message and he has relisted them individually (for $24.99) as well as bulk. Just placed the order for 2! I will post once we have them up and running.
post #97 of 1223 Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

stanglx-

How big of movies are you talking about? I can experiment with it. Would what you do be the equivalent of streaming a 40-50GB 2-hour movie in a .x264 MKV container?
post #98 of 1223 Old 07-14-2009, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea... 30 - 45 Gigs.. My VC1 movies are the largest at just below 45Gigs... my H.264 are roughly 30 - 35 gigs... I did not rerender the video so .x264 was not used. In otherwords, profile is less then 5. BUT keep in mind my Audio is FLAC... should not make a difference but wanted to let you know.

If you could test that would be great.. I have not had a chance to do anymore testing.. maybe tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp View Post

stanglx-

How big of movies are you talking about? I can experiment with it. Would what you do be the equivalent of streaming a 40-50GB 2-hour movie in a .x264 MKV container?

post #99 of 1223 Old 07-14-2009, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea... 30 - 45 Gigs.. My VC1 movies are the largest at just below 45Gigs... my H.264 are roughly 30 - 35 gigs... I did not rerender the video so .x264 was not used. In otherwords, profile is less then 5. BUT keep in mind my Audio is FLAC... should not make a difference but wanted to let you know.

If you could test that would be great.. I have not had a chance to do anymore testing.. maybe tonight.

What container are you using? If you are using discs that have multiple m2ts files, then often the player will try to open all of them in parallel in order to handle any seamless branching.

This probably isn't the issue, and you probably already know that

xnappo
post #100 of 1223 Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

He mentioned MKV.
post #101 of 1223 Old 07-14-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok.. update. What I found was that this actiontech bridge (new device) does not detect the port properly. It was setting the port to 100 Half Duplex... Once I forced in the Actiontech to Full duplex I was getting about 85 - 90 Mb/s from 65 Mb/s

BUUUUUTTTT.... Unfortunately it still didnt help the issue. The stuttering was almost non-existent with H.264 but again VC1 was stuttering too bad to watch.. better but not perfect.

I tried everything even removing my Gigabit switch from the equation (gigabit switch bridged to my fios router) my server is now directly wired into my FIOS (main) router... didnt help... I did find that going from MOCA to fios router to gigabit switch definitely made things worse..

The best combination was -Server to fios router- Fios (MoCA) router to actiontech bridge - actiontech bridge to PC.. What I can say is WOOOW.. I was hitting 85 - 95 Mb/s under this condition... Also what was also important was to disable TCP Offload.. this helped to gain about 5Mb/s..

I am still perplexed as to why I am getting the stuttering as I now have ample bandwidth and now full duplex!!

I ran out of time but my next test is going to be 100 Mb Ethernet to 100 Mb Ethernet going through my fios router. I need to change some wires to get that done to the same machine.. no biggy though... Since they play fine through my Gigabit switch then I have to deduce that its the FIOS actiontech router OR the actiontech bridge OR MoCA just cant hold its own as a 100 Mb/s switch OR its a setting I have not found.

Stay tuned...
post #102 of 1223 Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 PM

Routers arrived yesterday and were set up today. They seem to be working fine, although based on TV performance, we now need to buy a few more coax amps. We have one, but likely need two more.

Thanks SO much for the instructions, worked like charm. And for $75 total (including shipping), it is a much cheaper option, and less work than trying to drop ethernet from upstairs to downstairs.

I have attached a wiring diagram for the house. Everything on there is current, except two of the coax amps. Only the upstairs coax amp is currently in existence. MoCa adapter is of course the Actiontec.
LL
post #103 of 1223 Old 07-24-2009, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the info on MOCA guys! This is fantastic! Now to find a reputable seller...

Quick question, I noticed Rev. E of the MI424WR being sold on Ebay. Can I assume that this will work?
post #104 of 1223 Old 07-25-2009, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink124 View Post

Thanks for the info on MOCA guys! This is fantastic! Now to find a reputable seller...

Quick question, I noticed Rev. E of the MI424WR being sold on Ebay. Can I assume that this will work?

Yes, it will work - however those have typically been selling for considerably more than the older revs.

xnappo
post #105 of 1223 Old 07-25-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Yes, it will work - however those have typically been selling for considerably more than the older revs.

xnappo

Yup, I noticed Rev Ds and Es selling for quite a bit more. I only prefer those because they just look better. I have bids for one of each at the moment. If I wanted to add another MoCA router to my network in the future, do I just repeat the steps you laid out at the beginning of this thread?
post #106 of 1223 Old 07-25-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink124 View Post

Yup, I noticed Rev Ds and Es selling for quite a bit more. I only prefer those because they just look better. I have bids for one of each at the moment. If I wanted to add another MoCA router to my network in the future, do I just repeat the steps you laid out at the beginning of this thread?

Yep. The Rev C. ones are also 'pretty'. I started with all Rev A's. but then switched out the one that is visible on my computer desk with a C. The Rev A is one of the ugliest things I have seen in a while My other two are well hidden.

xnappo
post #107 of 1223 Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried streaming HiDef yet? I am having a hell of an issue getting it to stream smoothly even while getting at least 65 Mb/s. MKVs with FLAC for audio or M2ts with TrueHD/DTSMA, etc.
post #108 of 1223 Old 07-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried streaming HiDef yet? I am having a hell of an issue getting it to stream smoothly even while getting at least 65 Mb/s. MKVs with FLAC for audio or M2ts with TrueHD/DTSMA, etc.

I haven't tried yet since I'm not quite set up (and still waiting for the routers I just purchased from Ebay). It will be a few weeks before I get to it...having a TV mounted is much more work than I had planned.
post #109 of 1223 Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 AM

Liked: 11
ack, that is bad news. I am looking at this for streaming 1080p x264's. Can anyone confirm this solution works for streaming larger files (10g-20g)?.

Quote:

post #110 of 1223 Old 07-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocZZZZ View Post

ack, that is bad news. I am looking at this for streaming 1080p x264's. Can anyone confirm this solution works for streaming larger files (10g-20g)?.

I highly doubt it's a MOCA problem that he's having. If I can stream 1080p x264 over Wireless N in ideal conditions, MOCA should be no problem.
post #111 of 1223 Old 07-28-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

You have missed the point.. its not a bandwidth issue.. and I have a N router and unless your in the same room using 5.0 Ghz you cant stream Bluray ISO or MKVs of the same bit rate... keep in mind I am streaming Blurays with VC1 / H264 plus TrueHD/DTSMA/FLAC couple the audio and video you way above the 50 Mb/s which for the most part I have yet to sustained using N... with MOCA I am seeing this BUT I still get the stuttering... I have changed some splitters out... I will retest tonight and check back..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked View Post

I highly doubt it's a MOCA problem that he's having. If I can stream 1080p x264 over Wireless N in ideal conditions, MOCA should be no problem.

post #112 of 1223 Old 07-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You have missed the point.. its not a bandwidth issue.. and I have a N router and unless your in the same room using 5.0 Ghz you cant stream Bluray ISO or MKVs of the same bit rate... keep in mind I am streaming Blurays with VC1 / H264 plus TrueHD/DTSMA/FLAC couple the audio and video you way above the 50 Mb/s which for the most part I have yet to sustained using N... with MOCA I am seeing this BUT I still get the stuttering... I have changed some splitters out... I will retest tonight and check back..

I apologize, I assumed you meant resampled lower bitrate x264 and not full bitrate Bluray with HD Audio formats.
post #113 of 1223 Old 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope didnt work... splitters didnt help. It seems on my network monitor my network utilization goes up and down... from 70 Mb/s to 33 with an average of about 65... I think the up and down is causing Jitter.. anyone have a good application to measure jitter?

Quote:

post #114 of 1223 Old 07-28-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope didnt work... splitters didnt help. It seems on my network monitor my network utilization goes up and down... from 70 Mb/s to 33 with an average of about 65... I think the up and down is causing Jitter.. anyone have a good application to measure jitter?

I do not. The only video I have to test bandwidth is the famous 'killa' sample:
http://rapidshare.com/files/82525583....x264.mkv.html and the 'artbeats' 1080p sample:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/artbeats.html

both of these play fine for me with XBMC over MoCA. Can you try these so we have a point of comparison?

Also, it might be worth trying a different frequency.

xnappo
post #115 of 1223 Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What protocol are you using to stream the data? Is it just reading off a Windows Share? If so, I noticed SMB does spike and dip a fair bit. Have you tried running iperf to see if it also spikes/dips?
post #116 of 1223 Old 07-29-2009, 04:56 AM

Liked: 11
Good point, going from smb to nfs would be the best bet if you're running a *nix fileserver. If not, you should be Also, perhaps you can enable jumbo frames (even though it's over 100Mb). I'm not sure if the FIOS bridge supports this or not but it might be worth looking into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked View Post

What protocol are you using to stream the data? Is it just reading off a Windows Share? If so, I noticed SMB does spike and dip a fair bit. Have you tried running iperf to see if it also spikes/dips?

post #117 of 1223 Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 AM

I need a suggestion on the smallest possible moca adapter as I need to tuck these away in a very small space for a security camera. Any suggestions?
post #118 of 1223 Old 07-29-2009, 08:59 AM

^ I certainly wouldn't get whatever rev I have of the actiontec. It is HUGE, probably as big as my non-DVR cable box.
post #119 of 1223 Old 07-29-2009, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The NIM-100s are probably the smallest adapters. Depending on how much bandwidth you need, you could try a powerline adapter, which come in a wall-plug design.
post #120 of 1223 Old 07-29-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I am using a Windows share - under ethernet my network utilization using the same machines are constant...

Jumbo frames typically not supported over 100Mb switches - Actiontech definately does not.. i have tried turning it off / on etc. no help..

I tried jperf and what was weird there were no issues from what I could see..

I think its the fact I have a single moca networked shared with my fios stb's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocZZZZ View Post

Good point, going from smb to nfs would be the best bet if you're running a *nix fileserver. If not, you should be Also, perhaps you can enable jumbo frames (even though it's over 100Mb). I'm not sure if the FIOS bridge supports this or not but it might be worth looking into.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page