Actiontec MI424WR - a cheap MoCA bridge for all! - Page 42 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1231 of 1240 Old 03-09-2015, 05:52 PM
fly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post
Tried a different NIC and no change. Will have to try a different cable.
Also what kind of distances are we talking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1240 Old 03-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly View Post
Also what kind of distances are we talking?
Both HTPC are running off the same switch in the same room. From the switch to the server it could be 100 feet going through the coax.

PSN ID: Onedropshot
post #1233 of 1240 Old 03-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just a quick reply-- I thought the Actiontec's were 100Mbps max aggregated, but that any given link/port typically topped out around 40-50Mbps? I remember a discussion about that about a year or two ago (here on this thread) when I was looking to move into the MOCA world with these routers.. Granted, I'm using older revs, so maybe my information is outdated. If it's still accurate, then no telling you started seeing stuttering around 50Mbps--- the link was likely topping out. That would also fit with the fact that when it was connected directly to the gigabit router it was working fine..

just a thought,
..dane
post #1234 of 1240 Old 03-11-2015, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Just a quick reply-- I thought the Actiontec's were 100Mbps max aggregated, but that any given link/port typically topped out around 40-50Mbps? I remember a discussion about that about a year or two ago (here on this thread) when I was looking to move into the MOCA world with these routers.. Granted, I'm using older revs, so maybe my information is outdated. If it's still accurate, then no telling you started seeing stuttering around 50Mbps--- the link was likely topping out. That would also fit with the fact that when it was connected directly to the gigabit router it was working fine..

just a thought,
..dane

I was able to transfer files from my computer to the server at 12MB per second which is basically 100Mbps for networking. I'm using older versions as well, but they seem to be very capable of getting to the theoretical speed. Anyway, I finally got it to work without stuttering. I messed with a lot of settings in the network card and nothing seemed to work. Then I thought that the only other difference between the two computers was the version of the software they were using to mount the iso. I updated to the latest version of Daemon and now it streams up to 52 Mbps and no stuttering. Don't know why an old version of the software would do this, but that was my fix. Unfortunately Media Browser doesn't seem to like the new version and is hanging my windows media center. So fix one thing and break another. So I'll be searching for the newest older version that will let me stream without stuttering.

PSN ID: Onedropshot
post #1235 of 1240 Old 03-11-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Just a quick reply-- I thought the Actiontec's were 100Mbps max aggregated, but that any given link/port typically topped out around 40-50Mbps?
Good question. I never run things through the Actiontec itself, everything in-house is on a 24 port GigE switch and just a single uplink goes to the Actiontec.

Might it be practical to pick up a decent GigE switch and use that? Just consider getting one with more than the max number of ports you need. 16 port units (or more) tend to have more internal switch fabric than lower-end 4-8 port units.
post #1236 of 1240 Old 03-24-2015, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I know this is a super old topic, but I recently found this while trying to set up internet through coax in my garage. The bridge works for awhile but is consistently losing connection to the main router. Internet will be working fine through the bridged router for hours, sometimes the whole day then boom connection to main router is gone. To the point that i can't even use my browser to open to the router settings. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong followed the guide exactly. Any help would be much appreciated!
post #1237 of 1240 Old 03-25-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan360 View Post
I know this is a super old topic, but I recently found this while trying to set up internet through coax in my garage. The bridge works for awhile but is consistently losing connection to the main router. Internet will be working fine through the bridged router for hours, sometimes the whole day then boom connection to main router is gone. To the point that i can't even use my browser to open to the router settings. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong followed the guide exactly. Any help would be much appreciated!
I had a problem similar to that at my house, except that the interval between resets - by unplugging the power connecter for my main router for a few seconds - was a few days, and getting shorter and shorter.

Apparently, a small trickle current was polarizing the hull plating (sorry, too much Star Trek: Enterprise on the brain) I mean putting a static charge on the ethernet jack of the router that was connected to the Actiontec.

The problem began shortly after the cable company had done work on the telephone pole my downlead comes from - but it doesn't really matter what the source of the trickle current is.

I solved the problem for good by grounding the case of one of my splitters or duplexers - it doesn't matter which, since they're all connected via the coax's shielding, but I grounded the one nearest my router.

Try attaching a wire from the case of one of your splitters or duplexers - one or more of them may well have a grounding terminal, but one of the mounting holes would probably work as well - to the the grounding hole of a known good three-prong AC outlet. You can use an outlet tester (the kind that lights up to indicate that it's properly wired) to be sure.

See if that cures the problem.

post #1238 of 1240 Old 03-25-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, many months ago, one of my Verizon FiOS Actiontecs apparently died - it wouldn't light up - but swapping the power transformers showed that it was the power transformer, not the Actiontec, that had given up the ghost.

A trip to Microcenter looking for a power transformer with adequate amperage (these toys are thirsty) led me to a $30 RCA-branded universal power transformer with interchangeable tips (actually made by Audiovox) RCA model number AH56R, which is rated to provide up to 2500 mA.

I used my voltmeter on my working transformer to figure out which conductor (middle or outside) should be positive and which should be negative, since the interchangable tips can be put on either way.

Once I had it set up with the same polarity as the original, I was able to restore my MoCA link - and found that in fact I had better speed than before - so I upgraded the power supply on the other unit as well!

I'm getting over 71 Mbps in midafternoon, with three browsers open (one with 13 tabs open and one with four, and the third playing a 128kbps internet radio station via TuneIn with two other tabs open) at the far end of the MoCA link from my cable modem.

Last edited by Philnick; 03-25-2015 at 05:55 PM.
post #1239 of 1240 Old Today, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Apparently, a small trickle current was polarizing the hull plating (sorry, too much Star Trek: Enterprise on the brain) I mean putting a static charge on the ethernet jack of the router that was connected to the Actiontec.

[...]

I solved the problem for good by grounding the case of one of my splitters or duplexers - it doesn't matter which, since they're all connected via the coax's shielding, but I grounded the one nearest my router.
Wow, what a great post. I, too, have had this problem on the actiontec in the bedroom. I ended up putting one of those old-school mechanical timers on the outlet and around 3am every day it just removes power for about 5 minutes, then clicks it back to life. However, I much rather like the approach of simply grounding the diplexer! Thanks for the tip!

How did you actually measure the build-up? Even a multi-meter would probably drain the build-up that you're trying to measure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Once I had it set up with the same polarity as the original, I was able to restore my MoCA link - and found that in fact I had better speed than before - so I upgraded the power supply on the other unit as well!

I'm getting over 71 Mbps in midafternoon, with three browsers open (one with 13 tabs open and one with four, and the third playing a 128kbps internet radio station via TuneIn with two other tabs open) at the far end of the MoCA link from my cable modem.
Another great tip -- thank you! While I am not currently having speed troubles, I do very much appreciate the tip and will store it away for future use!

cheers,
..dane
post #1240 of 1240 Old Today, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow, what a great post. I, too, have had this problem on the actiontec in the bedroom. I ended up putting one of those old-school mechanical timers on the outlet and around 3am every day it just removes power for about 5 minutes, then clicks it back to life. However, I much rather like the approach of simply grounding the diplexer! Thanks for the tip!

How did you actually measure the build-up? Even a multi-meter would probably drain the build-up that you're trying to measure?

Another great tip -- thank you! While I am not currently having speed troubles, I do very much appreciate the tip and will store it away for future use!

cheers,
..dane
I actually figured out what was going on by using my Volt-Ohm-Milliampmeter's resistance-measuring function to check whether the the diplexer was already grounded, by putting the other lead into the ground hole of the three-prong outlet right there - which instantly knocked out the MoCA link.

Hmm - the VOM's measuring resistance by putting a small voltage across the two, so maybe something else - like the new equipment on the telephone pole - is putting a much lower voltage across them, since that takes several days to build up.

At that point the solution was obvious - ground the diplexr to prevent a charge build-up. Problem solved.

By the way, I ultimately moved my cable modem down to my theater to give my Amazon Fire TV the benefit of being directly plugged into it, enabling me to get 1080p video from Amazon Prime. It shouldn't require that much speed, but I tried two Fire TVs at the far end of the MoCA link, which never went above 720p ("HD") until I relocated the cable modem, using the MoCA link to instead serve internet to my PC upstairs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution