Actiontec MI424WR - a cheap MoCA bridge for all! - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1261 of 1268 Old 01-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thumbs up Many thanks to Xnappo

I just wanted to share my experience with MOCA bridges, and give Special thanks to Xnappo for the blog he wrote.
I live in a small house with a detached garage which has an apartment above (75’ from house) I was living in the apt. so all of my internet equipment is in the garage. Approximately 2 years ago I moved into the house and needed network connection. I had cable service to both structures from a common ONT (tap) and both are on the same account. I purchased 3 Actiontec MI424WR on Ebay after reading Xnappo’s blog. I took me 3 evenings to get everything setup properly, Im a contractor and had no idea what an IP address was. All worked fabulous until the week before Christmas. Comcast had “node” issues in my area and when their system came back up, my MOCA bridge wasn’t working. Long story short, I put a splitter at the ONT so my signal no longer goes thru it, and all is back to normal.
SPECS for my system
Surfboard 6121 modem
Dir 610L Wifi router
Actiontec MI424WR Rev D Moca bridge ‘transmitter’
255’ from garage to pole / ONT
75’ from pole / ONT to house
Actiontec MI424WR Rev D Moca bridge ‘receiver’ WiFi enabled, in house
50’ from house to Outbuilding
Actiontec MI424WR Rev F Moca bridge ‘receiver’ WiFi enabled, in Outbuilding
MANY THANKS to Xnappo for sharing his knowledge, and LUCKY me for finding his blog.
xnappo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1268 Old 01-21-2017, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjones53 View Post
I just wanted to share my experience with MOCA bridges, and give Special thanks to Xnappo for the blog he wrote.
Good to know people are still finding it useful after all these years!
post #1263 of 1268 Old 07-07-2017, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help Please

Provider = Fios.
Equipment = 2 actiontec mi424wr router, Asus dual band router ac1900, and HD Homerun prime. Note: I also have a Verizon STB on my main level.
Basement = Coax Split > actiontec1 > Ethernet > Asus > Ethernet > Windows 7 PC
Basement = Coax Split > HD Homerun Prime > Ethernet < Asus
Bedroom = Coax > actiontec2 > Ethernet > windows 7 PC and PS4.

I recently purchased the Asus router. Prior to the setting up the Asus everything was running fine but wifi signal was an issue in our bedroom upstairs. Since I added the Asus, wifi signal is great but the Antiontec in my bedroom will work for a period of time and then lose connection. I have to reset the Antiontec in my bedroom to reestablish a connection. Sometimes it loses connection every few minutes, sometimes it will be fine for hour(s). I have been trying to get this resolved to no avail.

Does anyone have any advise? Do you think it has something to do with the setting on the Actiontec in the bedroom? This is driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I used the first post as a guide.

post #1264 of 1268 Old 07-07-2017, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs987 View Post
Does anyone have any advise? Do you think it has something to do with the setting on the Actiontec in the bedroom? This is driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I used the first post as a guide.
Only thing I can think to try is to use diplexers instead of splitters. They have less loss, but your cable will be cut off at 800Mhz(which may or may not matter - depends on your cable provider)
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...words=diplexer

The other thing to try is moving the ActionTecs around to make sure it isn't just that it went bad. I had several die on me.

xnappo

Last edited by xnappo; 07-07-2017 at 07:53 AM.
post #1265 of 1268 Old 07-07-2017, 08:55 AM

Thanks for your response. I have two questions.

1) Should the HD Homerun Prime ethernet cable be plugged into the actiontec in the basement or the asus router?
2) Do you recommend setting up Static IP Addresses for the antiontec in my bedroom or using Static IP in general?

Thanks,
post #1266 of 1268 Old 07-07-2017, 11:49 AM
fly

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Provider = Fios.
Equipment = 2 actiontec mi424wr router, Asus dual band router ac1900, and HD Homerun prime. Note: I also have a Verizon STB on my main level.
Basement = Coax Split > actiontec1 > Ethernet > Asus > Ethernet > Windows 7 PC
Basement = Coax Split > HD Homerun Prime > Ethernet < Asus
Bedroom = Coax > actiontec2 > Ethernet > windows 7 PC and PS4.

I recently purchased the Asus router. Prior to the setting up the Asus everything was running fine but wifi signal was an issue in our bedroom upstairs. Since I added the Asus, wifi signal is great but the Antiontec in my bedroom will work for a period of time and then lose connection. I have to reset the Antiontec in my bedroom to reestablish a connection. Sometimes it loses connection every few minutes, sometimes it will be fine for hour(s). I have been trying to get this resolved to no avail.

With the ASUS in there, it seems you're likely double NATing. While not a problem for your Actiontec, that is generally not a suggested network configuration.

I would suggest:
* Plug the Homerun into the Actiontec
* Setup static IPs for all Actiontecs
* Turn on wifi (with different SSID/channel) in bedroom to rectify the wifi issue
* Get rid of Asus

edit: And as xnappo said, if you don't have satellite, get some diplexers. If you do have satellite, that might be why your Actiontec is losing connection.
post #1267 of 1268 Old 07-07-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly View Post
With the ASUS in there, it seems you're likely double NATing. While not a problem for your Actiontec, that is generally not a suggested network configuration.

I would suggest:
* Plug the Homerun into the Actiontec
* Setup static IPs for all Actiontecs
* Turn on wifi (with different SSID/channel) in bedroom to rectify the wifi issue
* Get rid of Asus

edit: And as xnappo said, if you don't have satellite, get some diplexers. If you do have satellite, that might be why your Actiontec is losing connection.
Ok Thanks, I will try this 1st before i buy dipliexers (it was working find w/o them prior to the asus). I used to have wifi on in the bedroom but wife read something online that you should not have your wifi router in your bedroom, health related (not going to fight that battle

Any advise on how to setup Static IP's for the Actiontecs?
Should i setup static IP's for my PC and PS4 in my bedroom?

Thanks again,
post #1268 of 1268 Old 07-07-2017, 12:25 PM
fly

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Ok Thanks, I will try this 1st before i buy dipliexers (it was working find w/o them prior to the asus). I used to have wifi on in the bedroom but wife read something online that you should not have your wifi router in your bedroom, health related (not going to fight that battle

Any advise on how to setup Static IP's for the Actiontecs?
Should i setup static IP's for my PC and PS4 in my bedroom?

Thanks again,
I hope your wife doesn't ever use a cell phone, or realize the millions of other radio waves that are bouncing off her right now!

Everything else should be fine for DHCP. And really, the only reason for a static IP for the Actiontecs is ease of management. If you follow steps 1-7 in the OP, he goes over how to set a static IP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page