Actiontec MI424WR - a cheap MoCA bridge for all! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1218 Old 08-03-2009, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
xnappo, I just wanted to thank you for suggesting this! I had tried just about everything to get my 16Mb+ x264's to stream correctly but there was no way a wireless signal could carry that (even when going nuts with buffers). I got moca'd today and am now able to get 7.1MBs to my file server... which is pretty damn close to full 100mb fast ethernet speeds. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1218 Old 08-03-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocZZZZ View Post

xnappo, I just wanted to thank you for suggesting this!

Glad it is working for you.

Thanks for the thanks!
xnappo
post #123 of 1218 Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM

Liked: 10
hey everyone,

i have been reading this post.. so is it possible to use this setup along with the hdmi wall plates from monoprice to have a hdmi over ethernet (using MoCA)?
post #124 of 1218 Old 08-13-2009, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees2k3 View Post

hey everyone,

i have been reading this post.. so is it possible to use this setup along with the hdmi wall plates from monoprice to have a hdmi over ethernet (using MoCA)?

No, all those wall plates do is connect the wires in an HDMI cable to the wires in an Cat5 cable. It is not HDMI over ethernet, it is HDMI over Cat5.

xnappo
post #125 of 1218 Old 08-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry for being off-topic but has anyone tried the Actiontec HME2200-02K adapter?

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=192

It's not a cheaper solution but I need something simple for one device in a separate room. I only have one coax cable in the room and it connects to a LG BD390. I would like that same cable to connect to ethernet using the adapter, and I think it allows pass-through so I can keep the Comcast feed. What do you guys think?
post #126 of 1218 Old 08-13-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

Sorry for being off-topic but has anyone tried the Actiontec HME2200-02K adapter?

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=192

It's not a cheaper solution but I need something simple for one device in a separate room. I only have one coax cable in the room and it connects to a LG BD390. I would like that same cable to connect to ethernet using the adapter, and I think it allows pass-through so I can keep the Comcast feed. What do you guys think?

There is exactly *1* manufacturer of a MoCA chipset right now - so that makes compatibility quite simple. I am sure it will work - though as you said it is more expensive than buying one of these used units.

xnappo
post #127 of 1218 Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM

From your diagrams, it looks like some of you guys are using one of your Actiontecs as a switch. Is this correct, and if not, is it possible? I'd like to feed ethernet to 4 devices (at the same location) from one of these things.

Also I'm a little concerned about the amplifier problem. I have one cable amp/4 way splitter that boosts the signal coming into my house and I would really like to keep it, but the signal from the MoCA would be going back through this device.

Here is the amp that I have, if it makes any difference http://www.pctinternational.com/_pro.../dropamps.html
post #128 of 1218 Old 08-14-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orijonl View Post

From your diagrams, it looks like some of you guys are using one of your Actiontecs as a switch. Is this correct, and if not, is it possible? I'd like to feed ethernet to 4 devices (at the same location) from one of these things.

Also I'm a little concerned about the amplifier problem. I have one cable amp/4 way splitter that boosts the signal coming into my house and I would really like to keep it, but the signal from the MoCA would be going back through this device.

Here is the amp that I have, if it makes any difference http://www.pctinternational.com/_pro.../dropamps.html

Yep, these do work as a switch - up to four devices per.

Why can't you just put the amp right where the cable comes into the house?

xnappo
post #129 of 1218 Old 08-14-2009, 08:14 PM

I guess I could, but I was using the built in splitter in the amp, cause it boosts each of 3 outputs by 7db. I'll just have to use a passive splitter inline for the run going to the modem/router/Actiontec device.
post #130 of 1218 Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 AM

Finally set up one of these routers. Though my original intention was to bridge a coax network, I ended up rerouting my network cables and now have the router set up as a switch/wireless extender. Seems to be working great! I'll likely have the need to set up a MoCa network in the future to get the upstairs "wired" as well. Thanks for the guide and info xnappo!
post #131 of 1218 Old 08-21-2009, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I guess I could, but I was using the built in splitter in the amp, cause it boosts each of 3 outputs by 7db. I'll just have to use a passive splitter inline for the run going to the modem/router/Actiontec device.

I'm not completely clear about your setup, but just to clarify, you should be able to have MoCA communications between different output nodes of an amplified splitter. Most amplified splitters include an amp and splitter connected serially. So, as long as two devices are connected to the outputs, they can communicate. It's when you have to communicate with something behind the amplified splitter that you have problems.
post #132 of 1218 Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 AM

I am a noob and looking at MoCA as a solution for distributing 1080p signals throughout the house.

For those that have implemented the MoCA solution, how are you distributing the associated audio (5.1/7.1) signals???
post #133 of 1218 Old 08-23-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerct View Post

I am a noob and looking at MoCA as a solution for distributing 1080p signals throughout the house.

For those that have implemented the MoCA solution, how are you distributing the associated audio (5.1/7.1) signals???

Not sure what you mean. MoCA is ethernet over coax, so you are distributing a .ts/.mp4/.avi file..

xnappo
post #134 of 1218 Old 08-23-2009, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerct View Post

MoCA is a networking technology. It's like Ethernet over your coax. So you would have a computer accessing a media file from another computer that contains audio and video (like an MKV)
post #135 of 1218 Old 08-24-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post

I'm not completely clear about your setup, but just to clarify, you should be able to have MoCA communications between different output nodes of an amplified splitter. Most amplified splitters include an amp and splitter connected serially. So, as long as two devices are connected to the outputs, they can communicate. It's when you have to communicate with something behind the amplified splitter that you have problems.

This explains something for me in a way that I somewhat understood but could not articulate.

I have an amplified splitter that takes the signal coming into the house and distributes the 4 lines out to different parts of the house. There is a MoCa adapter on 2 of those lines and I was idly wondering yesterday why that worked and having another amp in between didn't. Makes perfect sense to me now, thanks!
post #136 of 1218 Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

I am using a Windows share - under ethernet my network utilization using the same machines are constant...

Jumbo frames typically not supported over 100Mb switches - Actiontech definately does not.. i have tried turning it off / on etc. no help..

I tried jperf and what was weird there were no issues from what I could see..

I think its the fact I have a single moca networked shared with my fios stb's

My apologies for taking so long getting back on my HD streaming experiment. I grabbed a 45GB BD rip (2 hour movie and not animation) off the internet and streamed it from my upstairs PC to my downstairs media center. I saw some peaks on my data transfer to about 40 Mbps, but very infrequently.

I had no stuttering issues until I tried streaming video and copying files over the network at the same time. I maxed out my bandwidth at that point. That being said, I was copying back to the same machine that was streaming, so it may have been my PC also.

MoCA is working pretty well for me doing HD streaming. As you alluded, your network must likely have some other bottleneck rather than just the MoCA routers.
post #137 of 1218 Old 08-26-2009, 01:34 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

GooberedUp,

I know you don't have satellite yourself, but I am still a bit perplexed by your post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...1&postcount=40

It is great info - I understand the passthrough issue, but I don't understand how this setup prevents the satellite working in the 950Mhz-2Ghz range from interfering with MoCA?

xnappo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp View Post

The triplexer muxes/demuxes the signals. So, you don't have the signals traveling and colliding through the cable at the same time.

I'm intrigued about the possibility of using a Moca adapter with my Dish, but would I not need to get at least as many triplexers as I have TV's, so that on the back end the signal is separated properly back for the satellite STB's?
Unfortunately I haven't been able to track down more info besides this thread on the triplexer set-up.

CFC

Signature goes here
post #138 of 1218 Old 08-26-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

My apologies, but I don't know the answer. I bet members of satellite forums would though.
post #139 of 1218 Old 08-27-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post

Thanks for clearing that up! I guess I'm ready to grab a couple of them now and get started!

For anyone that has more than 2 in use, do you experience any problems with bandwidth? I eventually plan to run 4 or 5 of these things across my network with video streaming (low res) and other files being transferred to and from several devices. I imagine the downstream MOCA devices will all be sharing the ~70mbps bandwidth of the single upstream device that is connected to the main router.

Also, does anyone have more info on the power adapters for these devices. I have located a couple on ebay that do not have power adapters bundled. I know that it is a 5V 3A (15 watt?) AC adapter, but I'm not sure what type/size plug it requires and how easy something like this is going to be to find.
post #140 of 1218 Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 AM

Hi,
First of all, thanks for putting this post together. I have been quite excited to see that there might be a cost effective alternative for my hd streaming problem. I have finally managed to get my hands on 2 of these actiontec routers. I sat down today to start the configuration, but I hit a wall right away. When I plug my computer to the router using one of its lan ports and then type in 192.168.1.1, I get a message that internet explorer cannot display the webpage. What am I missing? I thought this should be straight forward. Does the router have to be connected to anything else (besides the power and the ethernet to my pc). I am a little new here and hence apologize if this question seems stupid
post #141 of 1218 Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npradeepkumar View Post

Hi,
First of all, thanks for putting this post together. I have been quite excited to see that there might be a cost effective alternative for my hd streaming problem. I have finally managed to get my hands on 2 of these actiontec routers. I sat down today to start the configuration, but I hit a wall right away. When I plug my computer to the router using one of its lan ports and then type in 192.168.1.1, I get a message that internet explorer cannot display the webpage. What am I missing? I thought this should be straight forward. Does the router have to be connected to anything else (besides the power and the ethernet to my pc). I am a little new here and hence apologize if this question seems stupid

Never mind. I am not sure why I did not try this before. I just tried to open the ip using firefox and it went right through. For whatever reason, IE was not recognizing.

Thanks,
Pradeep
post #142 of 1218 Old 08-27-2009, 11:58 AM

I am sorry guys, but I have run into this problem once again. I followed the steps in the original post, but when I reached step 10, "10.Next, connect a LAN port of your main router to a LAN port of the Actiontec (NOT the WAN port).", I got an IP address conflict error message even though I had assigned the actiontec router an IP of 192.168.1.25, which was not used by anything else on the network. The screen that I was on went blank. So, I disconnected the cable that was connected from my regular router to the actiontec lan port. Since then, I have not been able to get back into the actiontec configuration page. I have tried using both 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.25. I have tried both IE & firefox. But I simply cannot connect. I even tried resetting the actiontec once again to factory defaults, but still no success so far. Can you please help?

Thanks,
Pradeep
post #143 of 1218 Old 08-27-2009, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am sorry guys, but I have run into this problem once again.

Hmm, that is strange. I would try resetting one more time, and then go to 'start->run' and type 'cmd'. Then do a 'ping 192.168.1.1'...

Let me know what that does.

xnappo
post #144 of 1218 Old 08-27-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up! I guess I'm ready to grab a couple of them now and get started!

For anyone that has more than 2 in use, do you experience any problems with bandwidth? I eventually plan to run 4 or 5 of these things across my network with video streaming (low res) and other files being transferred to and from several devices. I imagine the downstream MOCA devices will all be sharing the ~70mbps bandwidth of the single upstream device that is connected to the main router.

Also, does anyone have more info on the power adapters for these devices. I have located a couple on ebay that do not have power adapters bundled. I know that it is a 5V 3A (15 watt?) AC adapter, but I'm not sure what type/size plug it requires and how easy something like this is going to be to find.

These are the ones I bought. From the same seller. The listing gives you information on barrel size etc. Unfortunately, he's doubled his price since I purchased them. That being said, I think any D-Link 5V/3A type power supply should work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-NEW-Power-...d=p3911.c0.m14

I run 5 of these things with no problems. And yes, they share the bandwidth. In my configuration the Actiontec is the primary router (I don't do P2P), but certainly it's the same limitation regardless.
post #145 of 1218 Old 08-27-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Hmm, that is strange. I would try resetting one more time, and then go to 'start->run' and type 'cmd'. Then do a 'ping 192.168.1.1'...

Let me know what that does.

xnappo

It looks like it eventually worked on one of them. But the 2nd one is not responding to ping as well. It does not look like I can even reset it properly. I have tried to reset it a couple of times, but it looks like it does not go through a reset cycle at all (coz, the reset cycle is supposed to take off all the lights and bring them back on one by one). I tried ping, but ping comes back with transmit failed. I am wondering if I have a bad unit. I see the Ethernet light blinking and the wireless light steady green, but I do not see any other lights including the power light. I can think that the power light might be down, but again, I am not able to reach this unit at 192.168.1.1
post #146 of 1218 Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:

It looks like it eventually worked on one of them. But the 2nd one is not responding to ping as well. It does not look like I can even reset it properly. I have tried to reset it a couple of times, but it looks like it does not go through a reset cycle at all (coz, the reset cycle is supposed to take off all the lights and bring them back on one by one). I tried ping, but ping comes back with transmit failed. I am wondering if I have a bad unit. I see the Ethernet light blinking and the wireless light steady green, but I do not see any other lights including the power light. I can think that the power light might be down, but again, I am not able to reach this unit at 192.168.1.1

What I have also noticed is that it is not consistent. I got it to work on the 1st one. Since the 2nd one is not working, if I go back to the 1st one and try to connect directly to my computer and go to the specific IP address that I have assigned for it, the login page opens fine and lets me log into the router. But after that, when I try to click on Network settings or anything, the page kind of times out and then does not let me go anywhere or even get back to the login page once again. Not sure if this is some weird something of my vista pc's automatically trying to do some correction when they are not able to find a proper network connection.
post #147 of 1218 Old 08-27-2009, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp View Post

That being said, I think any D-Link 5V/2A type power supply should work.

I tried a 2A supply and it did NOT work. I was surprised, but looks like it really needs the 3A.

xnappo
post #148 of 1218 Old 08-27-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What I have also noticed is that it is not consistent. I got it to work on the 1st one. Since the 2nd one is not working, if I go back to the 1st one and try to connect directly to my computer and go to the specific IP address that I have assigned for it, the login page opens fine and lets me log into the router. But after that, when I try to click on Network settings or anything, the page kind of times out and then does not let me go anywhere or even get back to the login page once again. Not sure if this is some weird something of my vista pc's automatically trying to do some correction when they are not able to find a proper network connection.

I had a bad power supply that caused some weirdness. Are you switching back and forth between them? I had a bad one and the router would only half-boot with it.

xnappo
post #149 of 1218 Old 08-27-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:

I had a bad power supply that caused some weirdness. Are you switching back and forth between them? I had a bad one and the router would only half-boot with it.

xnappo

I have been trying to switch back and forth, but I am using the same power supply. The other power supply that I have does not even turn it on. So, it looks like that is a bad power supply. I still do not understand, why the router seems to hang so often or fail to connect when I have nothing in between and all I am trying to do is connect my computer to it directly with no other connections involved.
post #150 of 1218 Old 08-27-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried a 2A supply and it did NOT work. I was surprised, but looks like it really needs the 3A.

xnappo

Oops. Bad, bad typo on my part. I'm going to fix my original message.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page