AVS Forum banner

Aton HDR44 HD over Cat5 - A Quick Review

25K views 107 replies 24 participants last post by  jparry 
#1 ·
I thought I'd write a quick review of the Aton HDR44 (KT - "kit") system, a 4x4 matrix HD component video switcher, which uses Cat5 distribution and includes IR repeating.

Short answer - awesome product, especially at the price point compared to other solutions.

While there are several very good Cat5-based HDTV distribution systems available, I chose the Aton for a couple of reasons:

1) Single-gang, in-wall receivers for each (remote) zone

2) Price

3) IR remote repeating built-in, with source routing and local repeating

4) Expandable to 8 zones for a 4x8 matrix system

Quickly, for anyone still reading that are unfamiliar with the basics of this type of product, the Aton HDR44 is a 4 input, 4 output matrix switcher that supports up to 1080p on component video with both analog and (coax) digital audio. The 4 output "zones" are fed by 2 Cat5 cables per zone, which can travel up to 500 feet to a single-gang receiving wall plate. At the wall plate, connections are available for component video, analog and digital audio, as well as an IR input for the included IR receiver and an IR output jack for local repeating.

As with any product correctly calling itself a 'matrix' switch, the Aton HDR44 allows each of the 4 zones to watch any one of the 4 sources, in any combination (all watch the same, all watch a different source, etc.).

Set up of the product is very straightforward (once you have the requisite Cat5 cables in the walls!) - with clearly labeled jacks on the back of the 1U high unit for each source and zone output. Simply connect each source's component video, RCA audio and coax digital audio to the unit, and plug the dual Cat5 cables for each output.

Of note here is the source-specific (1-4) IR repeater ouptuts (and the "all zones" broadcast output). that allow you to connect several identical source components without running into conflicts with the remote control. Without this feature (not unique to the Aton, but still an excellent implementation), conflicts arise when two (or more) identical components receive IR commands intended for only one. Real world example - in my case I have 3 DirecTV receivers that all share the same remote codes - if the IR signal was just 'broadcast', anyone changing a channel in one room would change the channel on 3 different receivers! [yes, DirecTV receivers have alternate remote codes to alieviate this issue - but the source routing makes it easy to solve this problem and simplified remote control macros/learning] But with the routing feature, the IR remote signal received from a particular zone is repeated *only* to the source component currently selected for that zone. Aton not only includes a set of IR repeaters for this task, but even includes nice black plastic sheilds to ensure the repeaters don't 'leak' signals to adjacent components.

Video and audio performance, from my brief testing so far, is excellent. My runs are ~75 feet of Cat5 (monoprice!) cable from the central closet location that houses the equipment. I have not adjusted the gain on the wall plates, but would still have great difficulty in detecting any quality difference between the DirecTV HD recever being fed as an Aton Cat5 source and an identical unit directly connected to my 61" Samsung LED DLP via HDMI.

The other feature to note here is the local IR repeating function - each wall plate has both an IR in (for the included IR receiver - which is comparable to a Xantech Dinky Link in size, but with a blue talk-back LED) and a local IR output. The IR ouput jack allows you to attach an emitter to repeat the IR signals received by the Aton receiver. I've effectively used this as a "Hidden Link" local repeater for the audio equipment located in a cabinet below the main TV. Just a nice integration feature that saved me both time and money...

This is the first 'real' product review I've written for AVSForum, so instead of just rambling on - if anyone has questions, I'll be happy to answer based on my experience.

On price - I won't post pricing information (I believe MSRP is $1795 for the kit), but Google is your friend. Make sure when pricing or ordering that you get the "KT" (kit) version (part # HDR44KT), which includes 4 wall plates making it a complete system in one box.

UPDATE (Dec 2010): I have since expanded my system using a second HDR44 that results in a 4x8 matrix. Still a great system 18 months later...

Jeff

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorizons /forum/post/19847227

1) Can someone please confirm that this indeed is a matrix switch and that you can be viewing different sources in different rooms at the same time? Is it true 4x4 or something less?

Yes. Definition of a "matrix switch", but never hurts to double check... I added that info to the top post for clarity.

Quote:
2) Folks have said the IR bugs get interference from screens - aside from mounting the IR bug away from the TV has anyone overcome this?

Yes. Mounting the receiver elsewhere *may* help, but the solution I used in the one zone I needed to fix I used a Xantech LCD-proof receiver in place of the standard one, and wired it to the IR in screw jacks (since the Xantech model doesn't come with the 3.5mm plug attached).

Note that I only had problems with CFL-backlit LCD screens. The LED-backlit unit(s) don't give me any problems with the included IR receivers.

Jeff

#78 ·
Well, I finally got the time to install mine, and it's not working properly(i think). I'm not getting any indication of a connected source. I have a dvr connected, and I'm not getting any blue lights on the front of the HDR44. Time to try a few more sources and all that fun stuff.

I'm guessing a call to ATON will be in order for tomorrow.

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFiend /forum/post/19920974

Well, I finally got the time to install mine, and it's not working properly(i think). I'm not getting any indication of a connected source. I have a dvr connected, and I'm not getting any blue lights on the front of the HDR44. Time to try a few more sources and all that fun stuff.

I'm guessing a call to ATON will be in order for tomorrow.

The blue lights indicate that a zone is ON, not that a source is connected. In order to turn the zone on, you need to use the remote to select a source (which will turn the zone on) FROM the wall-plate IR receiver. There is NO IR receiver on the unit itself.

In any zone, are you seeing the 'talkback' blue LED on the IR receiver?

Also check that you've got the 2 Cat5 cables connected to the correct inputs (not swapped A/B or between zones).

If all that checks out, I'd suggest temporarily hooking up a couple of RJ45 patch cables from the unit to a wallplate, display and IR receiver and see if that works. Also, ensure your source(s) are producing component output - hooking a display to the component loop output would guarantee that the Aton unit is seeing a signal.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

#82 ·
We have used the Aton since October and is was one of the best things I have purchased. Getting ready to purchase a second kit to expand TV capacity. Only thing is we typically don't shut off the zones on the ATON. Mostly using it for DirectTV so it's a lot easier just to turn TV/Source on and off. I wonder whether leaving the zones on all the time will adversely affect the life of the ATOn, but otherwise it has been great!

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds1 /forum/post/20035704

We have used the Aton since October and is was one of the best things I have purchased. Getting ready to purchase a second kit to expand TV capacity. Only thing is we typically don't shut off the zones on the ATON. Mostly using it for DirectTV so it's a lot easier just to turn TV/Source on and off. I wonder whether leaving the zones on all the time will adversely affect the life of the ATOn, but otherwise it has been great!

I leave all my zones on all the time for the same reason, and since the measured power consumption of the unit is lower (like .75W/zone) when the unit is active instead of in standby, I don't see any reason to believe it would shorten the life of the unit.

I can't explain why consumption is higher when a zone is off, but the total consumption of unit includes the wallplate receivers, which is probably where the difference comes in. The only thing I didn't measure was what happens to total consumption when you disconnect the wallplate.

Jeff

#84 ·
I've got to second/third/fourth/whatever the props for the HDR44. I wrestled long and hard with what to get for my video distribution solution, which is no means super-complex but also certainly is not straightforward. I did a ton of research, and cost certainly was a concern, but really looked at everything from BOCS at the low-price end up thru the Monoprice 4x4 HDMI switch & baluns, to Intellix RG6 baluns, to higher-end HDMI switches and even Crestron/Control4 solutions. I talked to a few local integrators, and finally settled on getting the HRD44KT from Tri-Ed locally.

Feel free to PM me if anyone has specific questions, but all-in-all this thing works exactly as others have said, was super easy to install/manage/program, and the picture quality is excellent - no chance I see a difference side-by-side with HDMI. Briefly my whole-house setup is three rooms right now, with maybe three more to add in the next year (at which point I'll just get another to expand to 4x8), and all my equipment in a rack in a central closet. I wanted to send at a minimum two DirecTV HDDVRs to my home office and exercise room WITHOUT any component boxes in those rooms, make the wife happy with an easy to control system with a single URC remote, and have solid picture quality. This thing sorted all that with just two Cat5 runs, and even includes the IR routing which was also a plus for me.

In terms of downsides, the biggest one that isn't a problem for me right now but still might be soon is the lack of a RS-232 port for integration. Other than that, I really can't think of anything. I am really happy with this and appreciate everyone's comments as it definitely helped me make my decision.

Cheers,

Matt

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFiend /forum/post/20086389

Just a clarification, I DO have my cat5/6 cables terminated on patch panels, and it works beautifully.

Jeff, with the UR WR7, is there a button that can be programed to pull up the list on a DVR?

I used the "FAV" (favorite channel) button, which is placed high on the remote, so it's easy to find, and I didn't need it either. I don't recall if that was the default mapping for my DVR, or if I had to learn the code...

Jeff

#87 ·
Anyone know what PIN number 8 on the cat 5/6 controls? Or for that matter, all of the PIN definitions. I tried hooking up another wallplate yesterday and could not get it to function. Cable tester showed that my PIN 8 on my CAT runs were not working. The plate does feel warm to the touch, but I am not getting any IR feedback from the eye.

#88 ·
hey good point on the temperature - all my wallplates get pretty hot. I am actually a little concerned about putting them into the wall, as a couple are exterior and I have mudrings. one is interior but I have Roxul there (good thing it is fireproof!). Probably won't be an issue, but figured I'd see if anyone had any problems, but will probably just replace the low voltage bracket with a full 1 gang box.

#89 ·
No idea on the pinouts, but did you try reversing the cables (use A for B, B for A - at both ends) and see if the behavior is any different? But if your cable tester is saying you've got a bad connection, you probably need to fix that... Some testers are very sensitive, though.

And yes, the wallplates are warm to the touch. Since they're powered from the head unit, and the head unit consumes ~40W total, including 4 wall plates, I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. It's probably better to have them in a mud ring than an enclosed box, too (since the heat dissipates easier).

Jeff

#91 ·
We'll know more this week. Atlona and probably others should be showing HDBaseT matrix switches at CEDIA. They will still have all the issues of HDMI distribution, but at least would be a significant integration improvement - single cat5 with HDMI, Ethernet, IR, etc.

But for general-purpose distribution of HD, I don't think there's been any significant changes this year so far... The "whole house DVR" could change things, though, depending on what you want to distribute.

Jeff

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzman /forum/post/0

and we have...

(by "we" Dizzman means Atlona, and yes, they are showing them... They're starting with a big boy 16x16 matrix...)

#95 ·
I purchased a Aton HDR44KT and now it looks like I'm going to be moving ... anyone interested in a like new unit that only had two wall plates taken out of the wrappers? Still have the boxes .. make me an offer .. within reason, of course.

Having dealt with 4x2 switches and long HDMI cables .. Having owned it, I still think the Aton is a better distribution solution.

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc /forum/post/0

I purchased a Aton HDR44KT and now it looks like I'm going to be moving ... anyone interested in a like new unit that only had two wall plates taken out of the wrappers? Still have the boxes .. make me an offer .. within reason, of course.

Having dealt with 4x2 switches and long HDMI cables .. Having owned it, I still think the Aton is a better distribution solution.

Just sent you a pm

#97 ·
Originally, I bought the HDR44 and hope to have it installed and configured by the end of the week. One problem I have is that all of my rooms do not have dual CAT5e runs. I have a two story home, so that's no problem for the rooms on the second floor. Not so easy for the one room on the ground floor. Has any heard of a solution for a single Cat5e run?

#98 ·
I haven't looked at the pinouts to see if you could splice together one run to get a "limited function" version - but I doubt it would work on their implementation. You need three pairs for video, and something for audio, and power/ground for the receiver. I suspect that since they were going to be using two cables anyway, they didn't do anything fancy to combine signals...

Your best bet is probably going to be HDBaseT and go the HDMI route... Atlona announced a 4x4 HDBaseT HDMI matrix back in January. Don't know if it's shipping yet (was supposed to ship in "early 2Q" - we're in "early 3Q" now).

How many rooms have just a single cat5? If it's just one, a single HDBaseT extender and an HDMI switch would be cheap, then use the Aton for everything else.

Jeff

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by samp81  /t/1146188/aton-hdr44-hd-over-cat5-a-quick-review/90#post_22231585

All three secondary bedrooms have one CAT5e run. Originally,I was wiring for HDMI distribution, thus the one run in those rooms. Good thing is I van get to the three upstairs bedroom through the attic and attempt to run a second CAT5e.

If you're going to run new cable to those rooms, run two cat5e/cat6... Very cheap and simple to do while you're there, and then you'll have an extra for something else...

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.