Aton HDR44 HD over Cat5 - A Quick Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 108 Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
We'll know more this week. Atlona and probably others should be showing HDBaseT matrix switches at CEDIA. They will still have all the issues of HDMI distribution, but at least would be a significant integration improvement - single cat5 with HDMI, Ethernet, IR, etc.

But for general-purpose distribution of HD, I don't think there's been any significant changes this year so far... The "whole house DVR" could change things, though, depending on what you want to distribute.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
and we have...

Proud Daddy to
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...

post #93 of 108 Old 09-08-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzman View Post

and we have...

(by "we" Dizzman means Atlona, and yes, they are showing them... They're starting with a big boy 16x16 matrix...)

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #94 of 108 Old 02-26-2012, 11:13 AM

Liked: 10
Hope this is appropriate...

I am selling a used Aton HDR44KT. http://www.ebay.com/itm/120863912434...84.m1555.l2649 if interested.
post #95 of 108 Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I purchased a Aton HDR44KT and now it looks like I'm going to be moving ... anyone interested in a like new unit that only had two wall plates taken out of the wrappers? Still have the boxes .. make me an offer .. within reason, of course.

Having dealt with 4x2 switches and long HDMI cables .. Having owned it, I still think the Aton is a better distribution solution.
post #96 of 108 Old 03-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc View Post

I purchased a Aton HDR44KT and now it looks like I'm going to be moving ... anyone interested in a like new unit that only had two wall plates taken out of the wrappers? Still have the boxes .. make me an offer .. within reason, of course.

Having dealt with 4x2 switches and long HDMI cables .. Having owned it, I still think the Aton is a better distribution solution.

Just sent you a pm
post #97 of 108 Old 07-15-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally, I bought the HDR44 and hope to have it installed and configured by the end of the week. One problem I have is that all of my rooms do not have dual CAT5e runs. I have a two story home, so that's no problem for the rooms on the second floor. Not so easy for the one room on the ground floor. Has any heard of a solution for a single Cat5e run?
post #98 of 108 Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't looked at the pinouts to see if you could splice together one run to get a "limited function" version - but I doubt it would work on their implementation. You need three pairs for video, and something for audio, and power/ground for the receiver. I suspect that since they were going to be using two cables anyway, they didn't do anything fancy to combine signals...

Your best bet is probably going to be HDBaseT and go the HDMI route... Atlona announced a 4x4 HDBaseT HDMI matrix back in January. Don't know if it's shipping yet (was supposed to ship in "early 2Q" - we're in "early 3Q" now).

How many rooms have just a single cat5? If it's just one, a single HDBaseT extender and an HDMI switch would be cheap, then use the Aton for everything else.

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #99 of 108 Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM

All three secondary bedrooms have one CAT5e run. Originally,I was wiring for HDMI distribution, thus the one run in those rooms. Good thing is I van get to the three upstairs bedroom through the attic and attempt to run a second CAT5e.
post #100 of 108 Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samp81 View Post

All three secondary bedrooms have one CAT5e run. Originally,I was wiring for HDMI distribution, thus the one run in those rooms. Good thing is I van get to the three upstairs bedroom through the attic and attempt to run a second CAT5e.

If you're going to run new cable to those rooms, run two cat5e/cat6... Very cheap and simple to do while you're there, and then you'll have an extra for something else...

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #101 of 108 Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 PM

3.5 years later, is this still a valid option for under $1K? It seems to be one of the better "all in one kit" on the market.
post #102 of 108 Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five View Post

3.5 years later, is this still a valid option for under $1K? It seems to be one of the better "all in one kit" on the market.

As long as the sources you want to distribute have component outputs, yes. An equivalent HDMI solution will still very likely limit all connected sources to either DD5.1 or worse, so from a capabilities standpoint they're still very competitive. And for compatibility, you can't beat component video...

I'll probably add a video server/streamer to my distribution setup soon, and it'll probably be one of the Dune players as they've got component outputs, for example... Plenty of used BD players around with component, too, if that's an issue. But distributing BD players and <$100 streamers (Roku/AppleTV), which don't typically have component outputs these days, may not make economic sense regardless of the video technology.

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #103 of 108 Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM

The only source I'm concerned about is my HTPC. Everything else is component already. Thanks for the info.
post #104 of 108 Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five View Post

The only source I'm concerned about is my HTPC. Everything else is component already. Thanks for the info.

If your HTPC's video card doesn't have component, there are ones that do - probably not the latest tech, but should be more than enough for the purpose....

Theater build photos:

post #105 of 108 Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM

Looks like the 9600GT was the last video card that really seemed to include that as a feature. I will be checking out eBay. Much cheaper option than Hdfury.
post #106 of 108 Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 AM

Had the Aton unit install for 10 months and it worked like a champ. No issues. Woke up this morning and no video or audio. The IR signals are not working properly either (ie from any zone, regardless of the source I select, I control the same one source). Have already powered off and powered on and verified the sources are working (i have my satellite receivers running to my Aton and AV Receiver simultaneously).

One thing I noticed is that i have no LEDs other than the power LED when I activate a zone (ran into this on initial setup). Perhaps the zones are not powering on thus no signal is being distributed to the display devices. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to do next? I have tried powering on through my Control4 system and directly with the Aton remote. Aton support is not open until Monday.
post #107 of 108 Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samp81 View Post

Had the Aton unit install for 10 months and it worked like a champ. No issues. Woke up this morning and no video or audio. The IR signals are not working properly either (ie from any zone, regardless of the source I select, I control the same one source). Have already powered off and powered on and verified the sources are working (i have my satellite receivers running to my Aton and AV Receiver simultaneously).

One thing I noticed is that i have no LEDs other than the power LED when I activate a zone (ran into this on initial setup). Perhaps the zones are not powering on thus no signal is being distributed to the display devices. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to do next? I have tried powering on through my Control4 system and directly with the Aton remote. Aton support is not open until Monday.

Nothing else to try that I can think of. I bought a 3rd unit a few months back off eBay, which turns out needed repairing - I tested it after purchase and it seemed fine, but its problem(s) were more subtle than the bench test revealed. I got a great deal on it (<$100), so wasn't a big deal. A call to Aton support for out-of-warranty service gave the simple answer after we figured out there wasn't anything else to try - it's a flat-fee return/exchange for refurbished units - $275. I did that and then sent the replacement ~24-48 hours after it arrived. Replacement unit was is good shape and I've had no problems with. So for me, it was worth the repair...

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #108 of 108 Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 AM

Got this from tech support, thought it may be useful.

Here's the pinout for HDR44 and R44WP from the schematics:

HDR44 Control Loop RJ-45:

1 - Ground
2 - IR 1
3 - Ground
4 - IR 2
5 - Ground
6 - IR 3
7 - Ground
8 - IR 4

R44WP/HDR44 Video RJ-45:

1 - Pr +