RG6 Splitter help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-30-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi, I was hoping someone could recommend me a good High quality RG6 Splitter. I've searched around and dont seem to find what I think I am look for. I am a novice to all this stuff but am looking to split my main Coaxial line which is rated at 3ghz. I would like to find a two way 3ghz splitter that has minimal signal loss. My plan was to have a splitter in the basement to feed my living room, garage, den and a line run up to my office and then have another splitter on the office line feed the office and 3 bedrooms. i can't run multiple lines to the second floor hence the reason I wanted a secondary splitter to overcome that issue. I will soon have Fios TV service and am in the process of upgrading all the Coaxial lines in the house. I want to have as little quality loss as possible for HD channels now and down the road. Thanks in advance for the help.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-30-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You might try the V3Sx at http://www.hometech.com/hts/products.../rf/index.html.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #3 of 12 Old 07-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow View Post

You might try the V3Sx at http://www.hometech.com/hts/products.../rf/index.html.

I currently have Verizon FIOS, can I use this splitter to split the signal 6 ways? Or will this compromise the video signal? All my wiring will be new RG6 not RG11.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-01-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

What signal are you splitting? Are you planning on six cable boxes?

A 6-way splitter will significantly reduce the amplitude of the signal (11-20dB) and you may need to add an amp at the input of the splitter to make up the difference.

Make sure the RG6 is a good quality cable.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #5 of 12 Old 07-01-2009, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Another quick questiion, Should I consider getting one of those signal boosters? (db AMP???) not sure what the proper hardware is. I figure I would get two of those 4 way splitters and one of the splitters will be connected to a line that was already split off the other splitter. I don't know how much quality loss there would be from that or if it would have any effect with FIOS.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #6 of 12 Old 07-01-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmstyle View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Another quick questiion, Should I consider getting one of those signal boosters? (db AMP???) not sure what the proper hardware is. I figure I would get two of those 4 way splitters and one of the splitters will be connected to a line that was already split off the other splitter. I don't know how much quality loss there would be from that or if it would have any effect with FIOS.

I assume you are splitting the RF signal to go to various cable boxes, or is it just to different TVs and you are using the TV tuner?

You can try it without the booster and if the TV display looks good, then no booster is required. With digital, the signal either tends to be very good or very bad.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #7 of 12 Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

What signal are you splitting? Are you planning on six cable boxes?

A 6-way splitter will significantly reduce the amplitude of the signal (11-20dB) and you may need to add an amp at the input of the splitter to make up the difference.

Make sure the RG6 is a good quality cable.

I would be splitting the actual signal from the Verizon ONT box to their STB, I will not be splitting a video signal directly to a TV. I am not sure how STB like amps, I hear they take away some features.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-01-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post

I would be splitting the actual signal from the Verizon ONT box to their STB, I will not be splitting a video signal directly to a TV. I am not sure how STB like amps, I hear they take away some features.

You just need an amp which allows return signals and has adequate bandwidth, particularly on the low end, usually to 5 mhz for most cable systems. Cable companies can usually supply one if you need it, and they use them all the time. You do have to be careful not to over amplify nor to feed too much back up the line, as this can affect other STBs and users.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-01-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I assume you are splitting the RF signal to go to various cable boxes, or is it just to different TVs and you are using the TV tuner?

You can try it without the booster and if the TV display looks good, then no booster is required. With digital, the signal either tends to be very good or very bad.

I would be using cable boxes in maybe 3 of the rooms with the rest just using the TV tuner. What booster brand should I be looking at?

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

post #10 of 12 Old 07-01-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmstyle View Post

I would be using cable boxes in maybe 3 of the rooms with the rest just using the TV tuner. What booster brand should I be looking at?

Not that familiar with particular brands but a brand name unit such as this http://motorola.links.channelintelli...signal_booster should work. Here are models with a built-in 1:2 splitterhttp://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e?...eywords=bda-s2 and 1:4 splitter http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Signa.../dp/B000WPGRKK.

You might also check with Verizon for recommendations.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #11 of 12 Old 07-01-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not that familiar with particular brands but a brand name unit such as this http://motorola.links.channelintelli...signal_booster should work. Here are models with a built-in 1:2 splitterhttp://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e?...eywords=bda-s2 and 1:4 splitter http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Signa.../dp/B000WPGRKK.

You might also check with Verizon for recommendations.

OK thanks for the suggestions

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

post #12 of 12 Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I use a Channel Vision amp.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page