using a more advanced keypad with nuvo simplese - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a Nuvo simplese system, and was wondering if there's any way to control the source equipment from the wall-mounted control panel ?? I know the panels that come with the system are very simple, and I know I can route IR codes through them.. but i was wondering if there are any panels that are compatible with the simplese system that would allow me to change a CD tracks or radio channel, etc...

are the fancier ones that come with the essentia and concerto systems compatible ??

once I do install the HAI Omni home automation system (which I'll bve doing in next 6 months) and connect it to the nuvo.. will the HAI LCD control screens allow me to do control the source devices ?? or will I always have to use transmitted IR codes ??

thanks for your help guys... I just discovered this place, and already love it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Did you buy it used?

Simplese Class D (4 source) or discontinued Nuvo Classic Simplese (2 Source)?

http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/prozone/simplese.htm

You may have to register with the Nuvo ProZone to access that page of manuals.

From a brief inspection, it appears that the Classic Simplese does not have an RS232 connector, limiting 3rd party control options, but it does have some kind of connector labelled 'PGM', which may be an option.

Both Simplese systems have 2 IR outputs that can be connected to source equipment. You can buy and program cheap universal remotes to control the Simplese as well as the source equipment, $15 each.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

it was bought new.... it is the new version (simplese D, 4 source, 4 zones) with the RS232 connector... I know the system integrates with HAI Omni products, as I was quoted for that combo by an installer.... I just don't know how much control can an HA system have over the source equipment.

I know I can go the remote control way, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that, as the remote is never where you want it to be... where as the keypad is always at the same place.. I noticed that nuvo has some pretty adavnced keypads for their other systems.. and this si why I was wondering if they can work with the simplese....

anyone with xperience with Nuvo and HAI products working in tandem ??
post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
You could duct tape or glue the universal remote to the wall. Or your hand.

Or, switch to a 3rd party control keypad, e.g. Xantech.

Try searching:
1. Cocoontech.com for HAI/Nuvo
2. Cocoontech.com HAI subforum for Nuvo

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 6 Old 08-23-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salibas007 View Post

it was bought new.... it is the new version (simplese D, 4 source, 4 zones) with the RS232 connector... I know the system integrates with HAI Omni products, as I was quoted for that combo by an installer.... I just don't know how much control can an HA system have over the source equipment.

I know I can go the remote control way, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that, as the remote is never where you want it to be... where as the keypad is always at the same place.. I noticed that nuvo has some pretty adavnced keypads for their other systems.. and this si why I was wondering if they can work with the simplese....

anyone with xperience with Nuvo and HAI products working in tandem ??

The brains of the concerto type keypads are really in the controller, not the keypads, so I don't think you are going to get from A to B even if you could swap keypads. The Concerto allows you to use the configuration software to assign keypad buttons to IR commands to various sources. All that is in the CPU of the Concerto itself. The Simplese is not going to have that same ability.

I wrote several of the Nuvo control drivers for CQC so I'm a bit familiar with the various RS232 protocols. The Simplese system is simple. Your HAI system will have no control over source equipment via the Simplese. All the RS-232 protocol allows for is changing the source, volume, power on/off and mute of each zone. It does not allow for IR control to connected source equipment like the Essentia and Concerto. The IR window on the Simplese keypad is a simple IR passthrough, routing IR from a remote out the IR ports on the Simplese control unit to the source equipment.

That's not to say that your HAI can't control your source equipment with its own IR network (or serial commands if your source equpment supports that). But it will not be able to sense any keypad useage, and changing the keypads even if you could wouldn't help.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-24-2009, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

well I guess that'll teach me to do a bit more research before purchasing something...

I guess an IR remote in every room will do the job for the moment.. and once I do deploy the HAI omni pro controller, then I'll look into a new, more advanced audio distribution system..

maybe someone here will want to offload their concerto or essentia systems for a decent price
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page