AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home A/V Distribution (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/)
-   -   HDTV Modulator, CONTINUED HERE! (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1184499-hdtv-modulator-continued-here.html)

MaxxFordham 10-01-2009 06:25 PM

Dan Druker said the following a while back, which I just found and want to respond to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDruker View Post

Think of all of the analog modulators out there- why wouldn't there be demand for ATSC modulators once televisions lose their ability to receive NTSC signals?

I am already suffering from this in my house - my two HD TiVos cannot receive NTSC. So my security camera and baby room camera which I modulate onto my OTA signal can't be received by the HD tivos - or the new directv HD receiver which also lacks an NTSC tuner.

Seems to me there will be a market for this - for all of the applications that today use an NTSC modulator....

Um, no, Dan, existing TVs didn't and don't lose their ability to receive NTSC signals. The high-power OTA broadcasters were just made by law to turn their transmitters off. I think even new TVs will still be made with the ability to tune those in, though, because LOW-powered stations weren't required to turn off their analog transmissions.

ILv2Xlr8 07-06-2011 08:15 PM

Max, I believe Dan was referring to "Analog signals" that his HD Tivo's can not display or record and is the case with several new HDTV's with built in HD tuners.

The problem remains that one can not easily distribute CCTV from video cameras in one's home if their TVs or tuners can not display analog signals.

Simple analog TV modulators are <$100 where I would be surprised to find a digital "HDTV" modulator for <$1k...

It's been long enough... has anyone found a cheap solution to this issue yet?

MaxxFordham 07-07-2011 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILv2Xlr8 View Post

Maxx, I believe Dan was referring to analog signals that his HD TiVo's can not display or record and is the case with several new HDTV's with built in HD tuners.

Hey, "I Love to Accelerate" (Oh, cool, I decoded your little "personalized license plate" there!),

(Okay, I'll just pretend that you had written "TiVos" and "HDTVs" without the stray apostrophe there, because since plurals don't have apostrophes in them, that's what you would have meant.)

Dan clearly said "once televions lose their ability to receive NTSC signals." This can mean he thought one or more things: 1. That somehow, because few or analog TV signals will be delivered to TVs by air, they'll "magically" lose their ability to receive any NTSC signals. A. NTSC doesn't only mean "analog channels delivered by standard antenna. B. They don't lose their ability to receive even those signals just because someone stops sending them. C. NTSC is also sent via satellite, cable TV service, and analog A/V jacks/plugs. Therefore, even a non-radio signal can be NTSC. So even a TV that might not have a tuner for NTSC SD signals can still receive them.

Or 2. That, as if the only kind of NTSC signal comes from analog tuners (even though it's not), there are some new TVs that they have made that can't even receive the low-powered analog channels that were permitted to keep operating as usual. You seem to believe that there are new TVs that were made completely devoid of any analog tuners. Are you sure? If so, that'd be interesting to hear about. What models?

By the way, HD isn't the only thing that even just the digital side of digital TVs can receive. There are still several SD channels out there that they can get over the air. So it isn't as if those tuners are just called "HD tuners." They're digital tuners that happen to include some HD.

Anyway, yeah, I know. I wanted to clear those up even though they're not the real point. I know the real point is to be able to modulate ATSC (8VSB) to other receivers through F-type cables that might be around in the house already. And I know I still haven't seen any consumer-priced 8VSB modulators yet. So yeah, I can understand Dan's concern. Hopefully we'll see some of those at consumer prices sometime in the foreseeable future.

Mike

SAM64 07-07-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

(Okay, I'll just pretend that you had written "TiVos" and "HDTVs" without the stray apostrophe there, because since plurals don't have apostrophes in them, that's what you would have meant.)

Considering the disjointed nature and poor readability of your posts, you may want to refrain from being the grammar police.

MaxxFordham 07-08-2011 01:37 PM

Sam, if you think that's "disjointed," then clearly you have no idea how to read like a normal human. If you could possibly try to offer some kind of halfway credible explanation for how you arrived at that crap, then I might be interested in hearing it.

As for what you lamely called "grammar police," that has nothing to do with what you errantly think of as being "disjointed." Even so, making one comment that I would pretend something didn't happen is not being a "grammar cop." Because of jerks like you, though, it would be nice if we had something like an arrogance cop. That'd help clean the neighborhood up a good bit.

SAM64 07-09-2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

it would be nice if we had something like an arrogance cop.

Then we'd never see the moronic posts you make.....the ones that reveal your arrogance and stupidity all at the same time.

MaxxFordham 07-10-2011 01:15 AM

sam, one thing I wonder is why you even gave a crap about my response to someone who wasn't even you. Since when does it matter to you if it wasn't even you I was talking to, you moron?

It looks like what we have here, with you, is someone who isn't even half-smart enough to distinguish when you wanted to be talking about someone else from when you wanted to be talking about yourself--which (the second thing) is actually what happened in this case.

ILv2Xlr8 07-27-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxFordham View Post

Dan clearly said "once televions lose their ability to receive NTSC signals." This can mean he thought..."

I was trying to state in the bestest engrish i kan that Dan probably mispoke stating NTSC, and was referring to the "Analog signals" that his HD Tivos can not display.

Quote:

You seem to believe that there are new TVs that were made completely devoid of any analog tuners. Are you sure? If so, that'd be interesting to hear about. What models?

Yes I believe OTA receivers are now made without analog tuners. Related to this topic specifically, how about the HD TiVos that Dan has.

Quote:

I know the real point is to be able to modulate ATSC (8VSB) to other receivers through F-type cables that might be around in the house already. And I know I still haven't seen any consumer-priced 8VSB modulators yet. So yeah, I can understand Dan's concern. Hopefully we'll see some of those at consumer prices sometime in the foreseeable future.

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Considering the disjointed nature and poor readability of your posts, you may want to refrain from being the grammar police.

Agree with SAM64 I must!

theslydog 02-08-2012 03:06 PM

I posted this over at AVForums but even though it is a European product it has ATSC listed in the pdf so though I would also post it here to see if anyone has seen or heard of one. I emailed them but no reply.

This is the only HD version I have seen that is not in the ridiculous price range if you can take the Alibaba price.

VECOAX-T1WM HD
Pro Video Instruments HD Video Distribution Systems - Pro Video Instruments

It is listed on Alibaba by them with a start price of $490USD

There is a pdf with info:
http://www.provideoinstruments.com/VeCOAX-T1WM.pdf

• NOISE-LESS operation
  • Pro-Components for 24/7 non stop / years operations
  • Free unlimited TechSupport during your business hours
  • Input any SD / HD video from any video source as HDMI / HDSDI / 3GSDI / COMPONENT / SCART COMPOSITE
  • Output to selectable VHF/UHF DVB-T / DVB-C / QAM / ISDB-T / 8VSB
  • Also simultaneous IP Streming output to watch on Iphones Ipads Androids PCs MACs ( opt )
  • Stereo and Surround Sound
  • Broadcast-Grade Low-Delay 1080p / 1080i / 720p encoding
  • Auto-Detect of input signal without requiring any manual operation
  • Connects to any PAY TV Set Top Box, Hard Disk Video Player, DVI from computers, BluRay Disk players, DVD players, and any other HD or SD Video Source
  • Logical Channel Numbering ( LCN ) full support to auto store your channels to the wanted TV chan buttons
  • Ideal Component for any HD and SD Digital Video Distribution application, to save time and perfec reliable quality

Thus you should be able to send a 1080p picture say from your Blu-ray player or your Pay TV STB over RF to all of your HD TVs in your house.