Need IR "Matrix Switch" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
jgb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you have an A/V matrix switch that doesn't have built in IR switching as well, is there an external device that will do it?

What I need is like a 16 x 16 IR matrix switch that can route IR signals from the sensors to the emitters. Multiple sensors need to be able to be routed to a single emitter at the same time. Switching of IR routing would also need to be controlled via IR.

Anybody know who makes something like this?

Thanks...Josh

jgb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Here's a 4x10 from Xantech that is "expandable". I didn't look to see how many you can string together, but depending on the source equipment you're using, you may not need a full matrix. You only need the zoning if you have multiple identical components - the unique sources can live off the common ports.

http://www.xantech.com/Infrared/Infr...gBlocks/79520/

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
jgb

Thanks for the reply.

I looked at that unit before, however it won't really do what I need. For example, I might need to have the zone x input routed to the zone y output and I don't think it can do that.

I need a matrix switch for IR.

thanks...josh

jgb
post #4 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
jgb

The Xantech RT8 would work with up to 8 sources, but I would need one per display. They are around $150 so 10 displays would be around $1500. That seems excessive.

josh

jgb
post #5 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you feed the IR receivers from each zone to the RT8 input and then use the outputs for emitters controlling your equipment it should work. You'd have to program your remote to controll the RT8 routing.

Let me know if I misunderstood what you are trying to do.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post

Thanks for the reply.

I looked at that unit before, however it won't really do what I need. For example, I might need to have the zone x input routed to the zone y output and I don't think it can do that.

Oops, you're right... And I don't think the RT8 does what you need, either.

Are you controlling multiple cable/sat boxes without addressable IR? I ask because DirecTV boxes (and others) have selectable addresses that could help.

And I assume you already have the A/V matrix switch, so suggesting you get one with IR routing is not helpful...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #7 of 17 Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
jgb

Thanks for the replys.

If you feed the IR receivers from each zone to the RT8 input and then use the outputs for emitters controlling your equipment it should work. You'd have to program your remote to controll the RT8 routing.

That only works if you have one remote controlling the whole system. If you want a remote at each TV, then you need some way of identifying which remote sent the signal. For example, if the bedroom TV is using Cable Box #1 and the Kitchen TV is using Cable Box #2, you have to have the IR siganls from the bedroom remote route to Cable Box #1; but signals from the kitchen remote need to route to Cable box #2.

That's why I need an IR matrix switch. It's built in to many A/V matrix switches, seems like there should be a standalone device that does the same thing.

I have a matrix switch that doesn't support IR (Just Add Power HDMI over IP devices), I thought it did, but turns out it doesn't.

The other option is something like Crestron or Control 4, but then I'm looking at a ~$200-$300 remote at each display, not to mention the unit down in the basement talking to the STB's. I have 10 displays so it gets out of hand quickly.

jgb
post #8 of 17 Old 10-12-2009, 05:38 AM

You have to get the RC68 programming remote. Once you get that you can program the codes into each zones remote so you can select the devices you would like to control. If you have a remote that can do macros you can set it to automatically do the switching like a matrix does.

I'm about 99% sure that will work for you. You can email Xantech and speak with them. They are generally very helpful.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-12-2009, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
jgb

I need to think that through because right now I'm not getting it.

The IR routing would have to change on the fly depending on which remote was sending the signal. So the IR routing control IR signal would have to be programmed to be sent on every button push. So every button for every device would have to be a macro.

jgb
post #10 of 17 Old 10-12-2009, 07:03 AM

The simplest way to look at it is as if you have a remote for the RT8 in each room. When you sit down to watch TV you would pick up the RT8 remote and select the devices you will be using (ie set the routing just like a video matrix). Ideally if you have a universal remote, set up a macro that has your video matrix routing and ir routing together.

The IR will continually be routed to the sources you selected until you change it.

I hope I'm understanding your needs correctly and apologize if I'm not the best at explanations.
post #11 of 17 Old 10-12-2009, 09:35 AM

jgb is correct though - in order to avoid multiple zones sending conflicting signals, each remote in each zone would have to send the appropriate source activating code with each command. However, if all of the sources are in the same place (and use unique IR codesets), then the RT8 is really overkill (I know b/c I've got an RT8 along with the companion RC68+ remote gathering dust!).

If you set up all the sources in one central location, as long as each source can be independently controlled (e.g. multiple DirecTV boxes setup to use distinct IR code sets) then all you need to do is combine all of the zone inputs into one (Xantech make a glorified terminal strip called, unoriginally, the Strip-IR which does this quite well) that then goes into a distribution block (I use Xantechs 10-source amplified block for this), then you're golden. Hook up the sources to each of the emmitter ports on the block and you're good to go. I currently have three rooms hooked up to a 4x4 matrix switch in the basement with IR control wired down to the basement through the Strip-IR=>DistributionBlock=>Sources and everything works great.

If you have multiple boxes with the same IR codesets then you will need to use something like the RT8 to route the IR codes appropriately. An alternative would be to use an RF remote along with an RF-to-IR addressable system. URC makes such a system and, from what I understand, it does the job pretty well.

Hope this helps.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Wouldn't two users still be able to send conflicting signals if a source activating code was sent with each button push? I don't think there is anyway around that unless a control system is used to check if the source is currently being used or lock sources to a zone somehow.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-12-2009, 02:10 PM

The way the RT8 works is that you send it a code to tell it which emmitter output to address and then any commands that follow are routed to that source. If you set up EVERY command in EVERY zone to emit the appropriate source activation first then you wouldn't have the issue. However, programming remotes to do this is ridiculously complicated. Thankfully in my setup I was able to ensure that all components being controlled had discrete sets of IR codes - if you don't have that luxury, something like the RT8 is a potential solution, albeit pricey - but I have an RT8 and RC68+ remote sitting around if someone wants to make me an offer /plug
post #14 of 17 Old 10-12-2009, 03:47 PM

Ah gotcha, thanks for the clarification.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-13-2009, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
jgb

The sources will include four Tivo HD boxes with cable cards. I don't know if I can set them up to respond to different IR code sets or not. Like you said, if I didn't have to worry about IR commands stepping on each other it would be fairly simple.

thks...josh

jgb
post #16 of 17 Old 10-13-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post

The sources will include four Tivo HD boxes with cable cards. I don't know if I can set them up to respond to different IR code sets or not. Like you said, if I didn't have to worry about IR commands stepping on each other it would be fairly simple.

thks...josh

This is why we were all asking that question from the start! Oh, geez, you have TiVo boxes - then you're done!!! TiVo boxes can easily be set to alternative IR addresses (I think 8 total). The alternative codes are very commonly used, and you can probably download them for your choice of universal remotes without even having to learn them...

Just get an IR connecting block and call it good!

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #17 of 17 Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
jgb

Where's the fun in doing the easy thing

thks..j

jgb
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version