Distribute AV from basement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is some background. I am currently in the budgeting and planning stage of a home theater project in my basement which is completely unfinished. As of right now I have televisions on the 1st and 2nd floor that I want to mount on the wall and move the FIOS boxes to the basement along with my AV receiver. My questions is what could I use to change the channels on the tv while the equipment is in the basement. I currently have a Universal Remote MX-880. Your help is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-12-2009, 01:44 PM

You'll need to run an IR repeating system like this:
http://www.smarthome.com/81207BK/Din...85DBKIT/p.aspx

The IR receiver "eye" goes in the room and the wire can be run cat5 down to the connecting block which has an emitter connected to the fios box over where it receives IR signals
post #3 of 25 Old 11-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
buy the Mrf 260 or any other of the URC RF base stations and they will work with that remote no need to do IR Repeating, they have about a 100' range and are pretty reliable.
post #4 of 25 Old 11-12-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Looking at both suggested products the mrf 260 seems to be more conducive to what I'm trying to accomplish. In reading more about the 260 product I was unable to determine how to even set this up. Bluewave could you or anyone else give a brief explanation of how the connection would be made from the lets say the tv in the master bedroom on the 3rd level and the fios box in the basement.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeko708 View Post

Looking at both suggested products the mrf 260 seems to be more conducive to what I'm trying to accomplish. In reading more about the 260 product I was unable to determine how to even set this up. Bluewave could you or anyone else give a brief explanation of how the connection would be made from the lets say the tv in the master bedroom on the 3rd level and the fios box in the basement.

I use the MRF-350 with my URC MX-850 remotes in my house to provide a mixture of IR and RF signals to control equipment.

Regarding how to hook the TV's up to the Fios boxes in the basement.

It would be a standard HD connection like HDMI cable or component with digital audio cable. There are other options using cat5e or cat6 cables as well.

I would suggest that you add a matrix switch if you want to have more flexibility with your setup.

-T.Wells
post #6 of 25 Old 11-12-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a newbie and have no idea what a matrix is but I have run plenty of cable.
Eventually the idea is to have all of the equipment in the house located in a rack in the basement. All of the rooms currently have coax to them but I will be running at least 3 cat5e runs to each of those rooms and kitchen.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-13-2009, 04:49 AM
<><
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
RF remotes are good, but can get flaky when trying to go two levels down into the basement with all other equipment, nothing would beat a hard wired IR repeater system, esp if your already going to run wires anyway, if not then the RF remote is the way to go

As far all equipment in basement etc, click on the link in my sig My Wired Home, i did just that having all my equpiment in the basement being served to 4 media locations through a HDMI matrix

There are also many other posts here that will explain to you what and how a matrix swtich works and will help you decide exactly what you want to do and how you should do it...
post #8 of 25 Old 11-13-2009, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

To <><,
Your link is broken.
post #9 of 25 Old 11-13-2009, 07:01 AM
<><
Advanced Member

Quote:

To <><,
Your link is broken.

No, it works.
post #10 of 25 Old 11-13-2009, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

To <><,
When I click the link I get "Internet explorer can not display this web page."
I may have to check it when I get home. Thanks for the input though. I will do some reading on these matrix switches.

How many cat5 runs do you have to each of your locations?
post #11 of 25 Old 11-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <><</strong> View Post

No, it works.

Yes, it works for me just fine.
post #12 of 25 Old 11-15-2009, 05:36 AM

I can see it just fine.
I think your setup looks awesome.
Its given me alot of ideas for my own setup. Thanks for posting!!!
post #13 of 25 Old 11-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I noticed in several pictures cables with no support or strain relief on the device the cables we hooked up to. I would highly suggest reevaluating that sooner than later.

Once it is all done get some velcro or wire ties and clean those wires up a bit too.
post #14 of 25 Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Rik

Quote:

I'm a newbie and have no idea what a matrix is but I have run plenty of cable.
Eventually the idea is to have all of the equipment in the house located in a rack in the basement. All of the rooms currently have coax to them but I will be running at least 3 cat5e runs to each of those rooms and kitchen.

I would recommend you run Cat6. It's not much more $$ and can move significantly more information. It might be more then you need - for now but it can't hurt. Cat5e cannot consistently move HD video w/deep color. I realize deep color isn't really utilized ... yet.
post #15 of 25 Old 11-15-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:

RF remotes are good, but can get flaky when trying to go two levels down into the basement with all other equipment, nothing would beat a hard wired IR repeater system, esp if your already going to run wires anyway, if not then the RF remote is the way to go

As far all equipment in basement etc, click on the link in my sig My Wired Home, i did just that having all my equpiment in the basement being served to 4 media locations through a HDMI matrix

There are also many other posts here that will explain to you what and how a matrix swtich works and will help you decide exactly what you want to do and how you should do it...

I reviewed your pictures. Couple questions
On picture 16 behind your LCD, I take it that you plug in one of xantech IR receiver into jack "19" How did you then wire that into the cat6 cable?
What are the other cables, one out of the blue box and then the other one next to 19?
post #16 of 25 Old 11-16-2009, 05:49 AM
<><
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddymcg View Post

I noticed in several pictures cables with no support or strain relief on the device the cables we hooked up to. I would highly suggest reevaluating that sooner than later.

Once it is all done get some velcro or wire ties and clean those wires up a bit too.

The only thing i think needs strain support is the IR repeater cables connected to the xantech control box, but yeah, I need a lot of tidying up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem Muppets View Post

I reviewed your pictures. Couple questions
On picture 16 behind your LCD, I take it that you plug in one of xantech IR receiver into jack "19" How did you then wire that into the cat6 cable?
What are the other cables, one out of the blue box and then the other one next to 19?

Yes, picture 16 is where I plug in an IR Receiver (see here and receiver on top of left speaker)

The cables in the blue box are already terminated cat6 cables that I ran from the Media Room (see here) to my room, I did that as a "just in case" if my setup didn't work as intended, I could store equipment in the media room since i didn't want anything but an LCD in my room.

I used this keystone and you just use 3 wires from your cat6 cable and connect it to the terminals on the keystone. The other end of the cat6 cable is terminated to the patch panel in the basement. Then from the patch panel I cut an already terminated cat6 cable in half, plugged the terminated half into the patch panel and then 3 wires into the Xantech Controller.
post #17 of 25 Old 11-16-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:

The other end of the cat6 cable is terminated to the patch panel in the basement. Then from the patch panel I cut an already terminated cat6 cable in half, plugged the terminated half into the patch panel and then 3 wires into the Xantech Controller.

Do you have a link to the patch panel that you used?

Does the patch panel "tie" each of the incoming ir signals together for a singular output to your xantech controlling block? It looked as if in the picture you just inserted all of the cables from the individual rooms together.

Thanks
post #18 of 25 Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 AM
<><
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem Muppets View Post

Do you have a link to the patch panel that you used?

Does the patch panel "tie" each of the incoming ir signals together for a singular output to your xantech controlling block? It looked as if in the picture you just inserted all of the cables from the individual rooms together.

Thanks

It's just a cat6 patch panel (link).

I cut 2 14ft already terminted cat6 cables in half (thus creating the 4 cables i needed for the IR passthrough for the 4 zones, i connected the terminated ends into the correct ports on the patch panel, then twisted the wire ends together and connected them to the Xantec Control Box. This Picure is 4 cat6 cables with the correct wires twisted together and connected to the xantech unit, the other end (which is terminated rj45) is connected to 4 ports on the the patch panel.
All the rooms go to the same xantech unit, since the rooms can control the 4 sources connected to the matrix...i just terminated everything to the patch panel first and then from the patch panel to whatever i needed to do with it, either connect to the matrix swtich, connect to network, or connect to the xantech receiver.
post #19 of 25 Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I am still researching which route to go with the distribution IR or RF. It's a lot to learn and consider. I am going to run cat6 though so that's 1 decision down with many more to go.

<><,
How happy are you with your patch panel? I almost purchased a standard cat6 patch panel until I saw your link.
As a side note my job is blocking your site so I can only view it from home.
post #20 of 25 Old 11-17-2009, 04:54 AM
<><
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am still researching which route to go with the distribution IR or RF. It's a lot to learn and consider. I am going to run cat6 though so that's 1 decision down with many more to go.

<><,
How happy are you with your patch panel? I almost purchased a standard cat6 patch panel until I saw your link.
As a side note my job is blocking your site so I can only view it from home.

It's not bad, I bought it thinking it would also show the LED light on the patch panel based on network activity too, but thats not the case, the LED is only used when used with a specific network tester (link) which I also bought, did come in handy to test my terminatinos quickly though.

As for your IR/RF decision, you're already gonna run cat6, so just run an extra pair just incase. Make sure you run Solid copper, it's easier to terminate...this is the cable I bought (link), but non-outdoor rated cables would work also (link)
post #21 of 25 Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's not bad, I bought it thinking it would also show the LED light on the patch panel based on network activity too, but thats not the case, the LED is only used when used with a specific network tester (link) which I also bought, did come in handy to test my terminatinos quickly though.

As for your IR/RF decision, you're already gonna run cat6, so just run an extra pair just incase. Make sure you run Solid copper, it's easier to terminate...this is the cable I bought (link), but non-outdoor rated cables would work also (link)

I thought the same thing but it's still pretty cool.
Alright guys/gals here is some more info on what I'm trying to accomplish.
First off these are the following rooms I have master BR, master bath, 3 other bedrooms, family room, kitchen, library, basement bar area, deck, and future home theater.

All of these locations I want to wire for distributed AV.
I currently have 5 fios stb 2 blu-ray players, Onkyo TX-NR807, 2 Samsung FP-T5084 50 inch, and 3 other tv's, 2 URC MX-880 remotes, Dell server with Windows 7 and 2 terabyte of drive space.

As I said in the first post I am trying to move everything to the basement.
I am already planning to run cat6 and coax cable to all locations. Ideally I want to be able to get rid of some of the fios stb if possible, but still be able to view hd content and listen to music at each location. As I am new to this I need some input on how to accomplish this. I was thinking of getting cable cards for 3 of the tv's since they are cable card ready. Let me know what you think.
Oh I just thought of something, is it possible to distribute media from a blu-ray player to multiple locations?
post #22 of 25 Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I thought the same thing but it's still pretty cool.
Alright guys/gals here is some more info on what I'm trying to accomplish.
First off these are the following rooms I have master BR, master bath, 3 other bedrooms, family room, kitchen, library, basement bar area, deck, and future home theater.

All of these locations I want to wire for distributed AV.
I currently have 5 fios stb 2 blu-ray players, Onkyo TX-NR807, 2 Samsung FP-T5084 50 inch, and 3 other tv's, 2 URC MX-880 remotes, Dell server with Windows 7 and 2 terabyte of drive space.

As I said in the first post I am trying to move everything to the basement.
I am already planning to run cat6 and coax cable to all locations. Ideally I want to be able to get rid of some of the fios stb if possible, but still be able to view hd content and listen to music at each location. As I am new to this I need some input on how to accomplish this. I was thinking of getting cable cards for 3 of the tv's since they are cable card ready. Let me know what you think.
Oh I just thought of something, is it possible to distribute media from a blu-ray player to multiple locations?
post #23 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #24 of 25 Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 AM

buy 2 Logitech Harmony 890 Pro remotes and the RF base unit and you will be set

Jack of all trades Master of some
post #25 of 25 Old 11-25-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 341
If you've got the MX-880 remote, you've already got RF capability, you just need the base station to receive RF.

As for reducing the set-top box numbers or distributing blu-ray, you'll need a "matrix switch" with enough inputs for the sources, and an output for each TV location. There are both HDMI and component versions available, and many have remote-control-repeating and routing functions built-in. Distributing music is easy, controling it is another story completely. If you have a TV user interface for your media server, then just treat it as another video source and you're done. If not, then that's a whole other topic...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page