I currently have a Gefen 4x2 HDMI non-matrix switch which was great while I was single, but I just got married and now I need at least a 2x2 matrix switch so that my wife can watch TV in on room while I play Xbox in another! I would really appreciate advice on options to switch my HDMI-based setup and send audio to my family room speakers.
Here's the setup (cabling is HDMI throughout, with 40' in-wall runs):
- Xbox 360
- HTPC (Velocity Micro CineMagix Grand Theater)
Video Outputs (3):
- 50" plasma (Panasonic TH50PZ700U)
- 42" plasma (Panasonic TH42PZ700U)
- 1920x1200 monitor w/HDMI input and built-in speakers (TBD
- haven't bought this yet)
- Older (non-HDMI) Yamaha 5.1 receiver; this drives the 5.1 speakers I have in my family room, where the 50" plasma is located. Audio to the other two monitors comes via HDMI and uses the monitors' built-in speakers.
There is a dizzying array of matrix switcher options at a vast range of prices, and I am looking for advice on a reliable right way to go given my setup and needs. My current Gefen switch is great because it has coaxial digital audio output that works with my non-HDMI reciever, but I can't seem to find any matrix switchers that have this feature so I suppose I need to updgrade my receiver to include an HDMI input as well, unfortunately.
Thanks in advance for advice!