CAM6.6 versus CAV6.6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm looking to install a Russound system with 6 Uno S2 keypads throughout my new home.
I'm just looking for some opinions of the CAM6.6 (with built in AM/FM tuner) versus the CAV6.6.
I like the fact that the CAM has tuner capability but the CAV has the double sets of source inputs/outbputs (saving me from running a few "y" connectors)
I currently don't have plans to utilize the "video" on the CAV either.
Is there an easy way to connect my Harmon Kardon receiver to the CAV to allow using the tuner from the HK receiver? Or am I better off going with the CAM for this sort of thing?
Which do you feel is the better overall unit?
All opinions and experience with both units are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-30-2009, 07:00 AM

You should look at the MCA-C5. It has the best of both the CAM and the CAV. Double the output power. Better control of Russound sources - as well as others.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 AM

Liked: 15
The CAV6.6 allows for extending the 6 RNET zones with 4 A-Bus subzones. Which means you can put 10 zones in place for less cost than many other solutions. I don't believe the CAM6.6 supports the subzones.

The MCA-C5 does have a lot of good features that aren't included with the CAV6.6. It supports 8 zones out of the box, as well as an option for an embedded tuner. It has a sleep timer, and software to program the system.

So I think comes down to what you're looking for. If you want more zones, either the MCA-C5 or CAV6.6 (with A-Bus controllers for the extra zones). Otherwise CAM6.6 might work for you.

As far as using the Harmon Kardon receiver as a source, you could probably do it, but it's probably not going to be an optimal solution for a tuner--it depends on how you're using it, whether it has a dedicated pre-out outputs, etc. With the CAM6.6 or MCA-C5, you can get them with built-in tuners. For the CAV6.6, you could use the double tuner ST2 tuner. You'll get at least some level of meta-data with either the built-in or Russound tuners that you won't get with another brand.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-02-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for your input.
It's helped a lot!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page