Nutone Intercom replacement options - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 01-03-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi to all. We purchased a home that has the Nutone intercom system through out..1 master with 6 room controllers.

We like having the option to use it but hate the way it looks..

Does anyone know of a good replacement for the nutone units?
The intercom is not that important, would like to keep the radio and doorbell functions though ...

Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 View Post

Hi to all. We purchased a home that has the Nutone intercom system through out..1 master with 6 room controllers.

We like having the option to use it but hate the way it looks..

Does anyone know of a good replacement for the nutone units?
The intercom is not that important, would like to keep the radio and doorbell functions though ...

Thanks for any info.

I searched and searched high and low for a replacement for my Nutone. after all it served me well for 8 years or so. I tried different intercom companies and fell short for what i wanted. finally i scraped it and went with the Niles zr6 and am glad i did. i get ipod,am/fm,internet radio with 1,000+choices all at a touch of my finger tips.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #3 of 27 Old 01-18-2010, 09:41 PM

Russound Collage - www.russound.com/collage, power line intercom and music system
post #4 of 27 Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Seems all intercoms look dated after a while, one of the reasons my wife doesn't want to replace the M&S eyesores in our house. We've removed a few stations already, and we're installing a dedicated distributed audio system (Nuvo GC). The stations will be removed piecemeal, when we repaint each room.

Russound and Nuvo each make distributed audio systems that work over powerlines (PLC technology), but they're really new and I'm hesitant to rec them.

Do you have an attic above or basement/crawl below, that would make running new wires, and adding in-ceiling/in-wall speakers, easy?

Contact Nutone (check their website) to find out what replacement systems they offer that would fit into the same holes, if you don't want to paint and drywall.

If you want to pay a lot of money, and get a good distributed audio system with an intercom function I'd look into the Russound Compoint intercom system, paired with a Russound distributed audio system.

Lots of choices, depends on how much you want to pay, and if you'll have a big need for the intercom system.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 27 Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the responses..
Ideally.. the goal would be

1. Have distributed audio through the home
2. front door monitor/doorbell
3. use the current wiring
4. minimize pathcing of drywall
5. I have a 5 zone sonus system sitting in the garage .. would be great if I could integrate it..

like someone mentioned below, I have searched far and wide and thebest I can find is the new(er) M&s system..

Our LR is wired and set for great sound and video so the intercom deal does not have to be audiophile quality..

thanks again ..
post #6 of 27 Old 01-23-2010, 12:59 PM

Does anyone have an update on this? I am looking to replace a nutone with 14 rooms connected. Most important is the intercom system. Background music is the added option.
post #7 of 27 Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

If only for intercom, the OnQ devices look pretty nice, though I've never tried them.

Video of the OnQ system, scroll down after jump.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 27 Old 01-23-2010, 09:23 PM

This is exactly the type of unit I would like, however, it doesn't seem to be able to play background music or link to other speaker you may have in the rooms. Is that true? Any thoughts?
post #9 of 27 Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 AM

Anyone used OnQ for intercom, door chime and background music?
post #10 of 27 Old 01-31-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Try searching the remotecentral.com Custom Installers Louge forum, for reviews of the OnQ system.

post #11 of 27 Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any news on this front? I have found myself in the same boat as the OP.
post #12 of 27 Old 10-07-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Try PMing the OP.

Ask him to post here.

post #13 of 27 Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunatley no updates on my end ...
But need to figure this out before we tile the kitchen walls..

Nutone has come out w a new model but looks just like the M&S system

Will update again when I find what I am looking for.

N
post #14 of 27 Old 11-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Some background:
Several years ago I installed a 50 inch channel vision structured panel and pulled new phone, data and video throughout the house Our home is 25 years old but it has tall ceilings and is one story which makes working in the attic less painful.
Our Nutone system started failing in 2007(front door and some zones).After reviewing the options available I decided to replace it and do an upgrade to whole house audio and telephone front door system.

The Project
Remove Nutonerepair sheetrock, paint act

Eight zones.stereo speakers and volume controls in each zone. Connected to a Russound Pro 8 speaker switch driven by my a/v receiver. Audio sources AM/FM radio, our mp3library, internet radio (Pandora, Last FM and many more).
Front door..Channel vision telephone entry and answering system installed in the structured panel.
Conclusion
My choice a couple years ago was to fix and repair the Nutone or bite the bullet and do a major DIY project. It appears that is the case today evidenced by the few post with suggestions. Our nutone served us well for many years as someone else also stated.
I plan on replacing the speaker selector with either the Russound C5 system or the new HTD advanced system which has built in intercom and a mp3 player.
A lot of rambling to say that moving away from Nutone is not easy or inexpensive.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-13-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed a lot of Nutone stuff is sold at HD/Lowes.

AiPhone seems to be really popular with the mega-rich, if anyone wants to take a look.

I really dig the HoloVision front entry systems.

Siedle would be the Ferrari of access control, and intercoms.

post #16 of 27 Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 AM

You can buy a cheap PBX phone system to replace that intercom.
post #17 of 27 Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Isn't one then stuck with corded phones everywhere? PBX cordless phones seem prohibitively expensive.

post #18 of 27 Old 11-17-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input .. I dont want a miracle .. I am actually OK with the features of the nutone althought it was here when we bought and I prob would have done something different if I had my choice. ..

I just can't believe someone hasnt come out with a better looking master station ...

You can buy a 15" touchscreen monitor at newegg for $ 350 bucks now .. having a touchscreen intercom and not having to take a second mortgage out would really be nice ...
post #19 of 27 Old 11-18-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Search SmartHome website for intercoms. I think I saw some in their catalog. They have quite a selection, IIRC.

post #20 of 27 Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM

I have found a few different replacement options for updating or replacing old or non-functioning intercom systems.

NuTone seems to be scaling back their intercom offering, but I think M&S is still offering replacements. It doesn't look like they really bring any new technology, but a newer version of what they've always had.

Intrasonic has a replacement for each type of wiring and it seems to be an easy swap out. They offer an iPod dock as a technology update. It looks like they have a great niche of replacing M&S and Nut1 systems.

AudioShare is not as flexible with using replacing wiring as Intrasonic, but AudioShare does function on existing wire if it is twisted pair or shielded in pairs. Most old 6-wire systems (and of course Cat5) can upgrade to AudioShare, but not the 3-wire systems. AudioShare allows any type of audio input, then available globally to all stations. You can send music to in-ceiling speakers also. They just developed music control so that you can scroll through music options from any wall station and select specific music from any room. Now they're saying they have wireless music transmission from iPad into AudioShare. They do have clear digital intercom and monitoring functions.

There are other music-only options at several companies, but I think the idea of this thread was intercom, so I'll end there.
post #21 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@BigSkyDave,

Thanks for the reply. This is some useful info. It does look like Intrasonic is sitting pretty to take in quite a bit of business for people looking to upgrade their old systems.

Do you know if one of their retrofit masters will work with the old Nutone intercoms, or will all of the units have to be replaced?
post #22 of 27 Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM

Hello!

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I'm running into a similar issue where I'm purchasing a 25 year old house that was "high end" in its day. As such, it's quite dated and reminds be of the Brady Bunch intercom system.

Anyway, I'm really interested in this replacement option and would love to add wireless/ipod support in the process. I'm handy, but not an expert in these systems at all.

Any product guidance/recommendations or other newer threads on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks!

cool.gif
post #23 of 27 Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm still staring at these eyesores in several of my rooms, and in brick at the front door and back deck.

Take a look at Aiphone. I think some of their lines use 2, 3, or 4 conductors, and I think there is an option for iOS support (JK series, maybe, with a 'Network Adapter' http://www.aiphone.com/data/pdf/products/brochures/JKW-IP%20Brochure.pdf)

Don't know if they provide any audio support.

post #24 of 27 Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM

I'm now in the same situation. Just bought a house with a Nutone 3303 today and it only play AM/FM music. I'm shocked they haven't come up with an wireless option or a dock that's more than just a headphone jack (which isn't even an option on my model!)
post #25 of 27 Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Search the CEDIA website for pro installers. Schedule a free consultation. Rip that ancient crap out.

post #26 of 27 Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never used one personally, but the OnQ Select and Russound intercoms are recommended by a reliable source, if drywall repair isn't an issue.

post #27 of 27 Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 AM

There are several intercom companies in the market that deals with such stuffs. Thanks for sharing the details.

Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Nutone , Universal Remote Control Inc , Niles Solo 6 Ir Keypad In Wall Controller For Niles Zr 6 Multizone Receiver