AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home A/V Distribution (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/)
-   -   Modulation or wireless video for apartment questions (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1222303-modulation-wireless-video-apartment-questions.html)

larrypevin 01-30-2010 01:01 PM

Long time reader, first time poster here. I have an HD Tivo and cable modem in my living room and an old CRT set in my bedroom. I would like to take the composite output from the TiVo, modulate it, and tune that channel in my bedroom. I live in an apartment though, so running cable is out of the question.

My idea is to use the existing coaxial cabling, which runs to each room, to carry the modulated channel. If I put a splitter in my living room with connections to the TiVo, cable modem, and output of an RF modulator, will the modulated signal travel "upstream" through the splitter and across to the bedroom? If this does work, will I need a filter to prevent my channel from going out to my neighbors and more importantly the cable company. If not, is there any other equipment available that will allow me to accomplish this feat? Unfortunately, I do not have access to the cable as it comes into my apartment nor do I believe that I would be able to secure access to it.

The cable company carries analog channels 2-13, 16-69, 78, and 96-99 as well as digital channels 70-76, 95, and 100+. It seems that I could modulate somewhere in the interval 79-94 if those digital "channels" are actually being on those frequencies.

My only other option seems to be using baluns in conjunction with Ethernet over power-line equipment or my existing 802.11b or 802.11n networks, but these hacks sounds like they would work poorly if at all. Are there any good stand-alone wireless video bridges? A web search brought up a few things (to which I cannot link yet) but I am not sure how well they would work.

Any thoughts?

cntp 01-30-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypevin View Post

My only other option seems to be using baluns in conjunction with Ethernet over power-line equipment or my existing 802.11b or 802.11n networks, but these hacks sounds like they would work poorly if at all. Are there any good stand-alone wireless video bridges? A web search brought up a few things (to which I cannot link yet) but I am not sure how well they would work.

Wouldn't work. Baluns convert the signal to run over Cat5 - running it over Ethernet would be entirely different (would require digitizing the signal, and would take a lot more hardware/be alot more expensive).