Phoenix Help - Father-in-law just went to Bose Store for Whole-House Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-11-2010, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This might be a little non-kosher for this group, but if anyone has any experience with any relatively inexpensive installers in Phoenix area, could you toss me a couple of recommendations?

My father-in-law just bought his snowbird house in the Phoenix area and the house has lines run for speakers and keypads (or possibly just volume controls) for a few zones (including at least one outdoor patio zone).

Problem is is that he went to the Bose store and they're talking about a digital media server and wiring up the zones, etc. etc. - I have NO idea what "system" he was talking about (I couldn't find any real whole-house audio stuff on the Bose web site) but I'm afraid he's going to get oversold some stuff where a relatively simple Russound or other system would work instead.

As far as sources go I could hook him up with something simple like Squeezebox Duet or even just a Sirius/XM tuner - he doesn't need something like a digital media server from Bose... (not to mention I'm sure he could get much better speakers for the money).

I would be able to help him out - heck I could probably get some good used stuff and hook it up for him, but I'm not able to fly down and get it set up for him... The way he was describing it I'm not sure what is wired from the keypads (Cat-5 or just speaker wire running through them) and it's kind of hard to ask him the right questions...

So anyway - if someone could help me out with someone that would work better than the Bose store for him that would be really really cool.

Thanks,
Sped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I dont really have any advice other than run far away from BOSE for this application. If they just want easy to use music around the house then look at SONOS. If they want to integrate audio and video zones then they need to step up to a control system.

There are a couple of Phoenix guys at remotecentral.com that might be able to help. Maybe make a list of how many rooms get audio and how many get audio and video etc. It might help speed things up in terms of a ball park figure or what control system to choose.

Custom Installation Blog: http://www.wiremunky.com
User Interface Design Blog: http://www.guijaboard.com
post #3 of 4 Old 02-12-2010, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
This outfit is listed in the Dedicated HT CI list thread:

AZ Phoenix, Cinemagic 10650 N. 44th Court 85028 602-332-2279 Cary Christie II Certifications: In process Area Serviced: Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa, Chandler

Keep in mind the CI will attempt to 'upsell' too. Ideally, the CI company will have references, but you're SOL to check them out. Emphasize 'budget system' when discussing details. Tell your father in law to come up with a budget.

I agree that Sonos would be a good idea, since all the speakers are already wired - wireless controllers in docks, amps in closet, in-wall and in-ceiling speakers hard wired.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 4 Old 02-12-2010, 11:51 AM

Liked: 10
They are probably talking about an acoustimas 48 with SA2 amplifiers. I echo what 39centstamp said and run. If you want easy, this likely isn't it.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page